Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

badjohny posted:

I think she used one because she was trying to grab the orb throughout the fight with her other hand. They showed her reach for it a few times.

My guess is we're supposed to read it as despite talking a big game about necessity to Sabine, she couldn't bring herself to use the second lightsaber to destroy the orb even though she had ample opportunity to do so rather than leaving her other hand free to try and reach for it. It's one thing to talk about doing the hard but right thing and dooming Ezra to permanent exile, quite another to actually do it when there's still a chance they could stop Morgan AND save Ezra AND capture Thrawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

I'm aware this is just trying to read a character out of bad lazy writing, but you can see hera bringing the stupid kid along as of a piece with her proto-fascist sentiments in episode 3. Good to get her kid some combat experience so he can finally have some worth as a person

It's overall certainly a minor thing but just such a bizarre decision. Did noone think about the implications or were all the writers in "oh isn't that totally badass and cool that her kid is with her!!!!" mode (and yes I get why they would want to shoehorn in a kid on a meta/marketing level but you have to set it up properly)?
Like what kind of fan-writing level of brainworms do you need to have to include him here. They didn't even bother to come up with an excuse so I can only assume that it didn't even cross their mind because the kid obviously has plot armor though it would be "funny" if he just died after the big baddie ship jumps, just like the other poor "Rebel" pilots that were shown.

Good job "Mother of the year" Hera.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
This is such a strange read coming from rebels where Ezra and Sabine are both teenagers

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
If Jacen was left behind I assume someone on Home One would have went, "Turn around or we're going to ship your kid off who knows where". And for what it's worth, Jedi kids get thrown in the poo poo early in life.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

LinkesAuge posted:

Also HUGE cringe at the kids "i have a bad feeling about this". That isn't "cute" or a clever reference, it's wanking yourself off and the kind of hack writing that's just annoying and even takes you out of the moment with all this meta self-referencing.

I took it as one of many things they're rubbing in your face to imply Jacen's character to be the next generation's Han Solo.

Jerusalem posted:

Re: Hera did anybody else think it was insanely hosed up she took her kid with her on this mission?

Not surprised Hera, a child of the clone wars, wouldn't think too much about bringing her gung-ho and presumably trust-worthy son along on mission with her. I agree bringing him to the Thrawn show is a bit collar tugging, but sure let the kid pull the lever.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 6, 2023

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!

I'm aware this is just trying to read a character out of bad lazy writing, but you can see hera bringing the stupid kid along as of a piece with her proto-fascist sentiments in episode 3. Good to get her kid some combat experience so he can finally have some worth as a person

He's almost 10 years old, it's about time he saw some X-Wing pilots die and grew the gently caress up.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Jehde posted:

... Did you see the size of Baylan and his sabre? And how much Ahsoka struggled with his blows? Don't think Filoni is being dumb here...

I personally don't care too much about that specific point but Ahsoka fought Darth Vader(!) with two lightsabers and in that fight they even highlight how she blocks his powerful blows with two sabers. So it's either just inconsistent writing or down to the fact that they can't pull off two handed fights properly so they do the "easier" thing.

site posted:

This is such a strange read coming from rebels where Ezra and Sabine are both teenagers

Do you honestly need to be told the difference there?

Are you writing for the show by any chance?

If you want to force a child into a situation like this then at least justify it. Her son being on war ships is already streching things but okay, let's pretend there is no major threat of the fleet suddenly finding themselves in an actual fight so she keeps him around, we can even speculate that there are "civilian" ships within that fleet but there is just no excuse why she would bring him along completetly unforced AND knowing that she is flying into a potentially very dangerous situation.
Like there isn't even a HINT of an excuse. They didn't even do the lazy thing of "Hera is flying her son back to planet X to drop him off but she gets an emergency call so she has to decide between dropping him off and wasting time or taking the risk with him on board".
The thing is that they just don't care and in isolation it's a small thing but many of these small things in a lot of recent Star Wars shows add up to a bigger problem. That's why you get very few of these nitpicks with Andor because in general the show did care about these "little" things.

LinkesAuge fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 6, 2023

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

site posted:

I mean what are you driving at here, that being a child soldier is much more common in the culture in star wars? Maybe that's true, but I don't think it's that much of a moral defense

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
A woman who grew up as a child in the ryloth resistance and had the children in her found family running missions with her during the rebellion probably isn't freaking out at the idea of bringing her force sensitive kid with her on a mission. I don't see what's hard to understand about that

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Also Hera herself was pushed into the role of a partisan from a young age by her mum.

E:fb

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

site posted:

A woman who grew up as a child in the ryloth resistance and had the children in her found family running missions with her during the rebellion probably isn't freaking out at the idea of bringing her force sensitive kid with her on a mission. I don't see what's hard to understand about that

I mean it's understandable to perpetuate a cycle of abuse you were born into but also pretty nightmarish and dissonant coming from a nominally cool mom goodguy coded character, at least within this show.

Between this and the sequels I remain very disappointed in space child protective services

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

If she didn't bring her kid along, he'd pull an Ezra/Sabine, steal a ship, and follow her

Frankly what's more egregious is that they didn't bring Zeb and his husband along :colbert:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

site posted:

A woman who grew up as a child in the ryloth resistance and had the children in her found family running missions with her during the rebellion probably isn't freaking out at the idea of being her force sensitive kid with her on a mission. I don't see what's hard to understand about that

It’s that she isn’t a nice bougie person like people expect a Star Wars hero to be. You know, like Luke Skywalker who grew up on a farm and became a fighter pilot instead of going to college. Hmmm...or Leia who grew up a pampered princess and decided to abuse her government sinecure to practice sedition. Wait, no, that’s not gonna work either… well how about Han Solo who grew up in a steaming muppet pit in Detroit, then joined the army and deserted to live by the gun and run drugs for the mob.

Hold on a second, I’m starting to think this story isn’t about nice bougie people at all!

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

badjohny posted:

I think she used one because she was trying to grab the orb throughout the fight with her other hand. They showed her reach for it a few times.

Now the fight before with the helicopter lightsaber...no idea why she only used one.

She's fought so many Inquisitors, i'm surprised she's not bashing them with a cricket bat

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
lmao people out here making cinemasins levels complaints.

"I've got a bad feeling" is real loving corny tho. Filoni just can't loving help himself lmao.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Is it more ethically fraught to fight alongside your child soldier, or a genocidaire who happens to be gay with your comrade/former roommate?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

skasion posted:

It’s that she isn’t a nice bougie person like people expect a Star Wars hero to be. You know, like Luke Skywalker who grew up on a farm and became a fighter pilot instead of going to college. Hmmm...or Leia who grew up a pampered princess and decided to abuse her government sinecure to practice sedition. Wait, no, that’s not gonna work either… well how about Han Solo who grew up in a steaming muppet pit in Detroit, then joined the army and deserted to live by the gun and run drugs for the mob.

Hold on a second, I’m starting to think this story isn’t about nice bougie people at all!

The real star wars moms sell their children into arranged marriages for financial access

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

site posted:

Is that the same family who not only lost a "father figure" but also has one of its "children" missing, ie the driving force of this plot?

Yeah, I'm sure these experiences totally mean that Hera wouldn't worry about the safety of her son.

Besides that, if the writers really THOUGHT about that we would have gotten dialogue about it, establishing the relationship between Hera and her son and how she treats/sees him but we simply haven't.

There is no context given to assume that is Hera's reasoning. It's already a stretch if you watched the cartoon because Hera has never been shown to be reckless and taking her son into such a situation without any need is just reckless and there certainly hasn't been anything for viewers of this show to explain why she would even consider doing this.
It really is just beyond mental if you think about it. The show simply doesn't want you to think about it and/or ignored the implications itself DESPITE the fact that we are even shown how dangerous it is.

Dexo posted:

lmao people out here making cinemasins levels complaints.

"I've got a bad feeling" is real loving corny tho. Filoni just can't loving help himself lmao.

"Cinemasins levels" complaints would be asking why "General Syndulla" is still acting like she is a small time Rebel and is only getting a couple of fighters with her because from everything we know she should have a lot more pull than that but people are even okay with that and would go along if she still acts like she is just some "minor" Rebel. We all are used to the fact that the "logistics" in shows like this often don't make sense.
What isn't cinemasins levels is to point out what it says about her character on screen if she takes her son with her without discernible reason. Not only did he barely exist before in the show, there is literally no reason or motivation given why he should be around, why the audience should care or what his function even is within the story. He was just there to drop one extremely corny line.
It just perfectly encapsulates the problem of the writing in shows like this. This isn't supposed to be nitpicking, it's taking a look at story and character "economy" and how the writers decide to use their screen time and how they use their available characters.

LinkesAuge fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 6, 2023

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Temmin "Snap" Wexley was hunting Imperials like a savage when he was Jacen's age. He's probably only a few years older than Jacen during this era

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I guess in the end maybe you have to speculate that star wars are not as traumatic as earth wars, and children can be in them a little as a treat.

Obviously on earth a lot of people who are actually in a war are left with the overwhelming motivation to spare their loved ones from having to go through that, but we don't really see that sentiment develop in this universe much. Lasers going pew and stuff are simply too fun

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Wtf. I have no interest in thinking about the childrens safety. This is a fantasy. Kids can participate in the fun stuff.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

LinkesAuge posted:

It's overall certainly a minor thing but just such a bizarre decision. Did noone think about the implications or were all the writers in "oh isn't that totally badass and cool that her kid is with her!!!!" mode (and yes I get why they would want to shoehorn in a kid on a meta/marketing level but you have to set it up properly)?
Like what kind of fan-writing level of brainworms do you need to have to include him here. They didn't even bother to come up with an excuse so I can only assume that it didn't even cross their mind because the kid obviously has plot armor though it would be "funny" if he just died after the big baddie ship jumps, just like the other poor "Rebel" pilots that were shown.

Good job "Mother of the year" Hera.

LinkesAuge posted:

That's the meta excuse but it was still so weird and totally out of place. Also HUGE cringe at the kids "i have a bad feeling about this". That isn't "cute" or a clever reference, it's wanking yourself off and the kind of hack writing that's just annoying and even takes you out of the moment with all this meta self-referencing.

Another thing regarding the whole fight sequence/the lead up to it:

So Ahsoka and Sabine are on the ship chilling and doing nothing while their Droid repairs the ship. At this point they have zero(!) urgency to rush anywhere. There is no indication of them suddenly having to stop the antagonists.

Then the Droid gets attacked and suddenly for some reason they decide they are on a timer and act accordingly. Where did that come from? Why did the attack of the bad droids suddenly mean that they know they are on a timer in regards to the map? Nothing really changed.

Then the fight... to start off: Why couldn't Ahsoka take a few seconds or a minute to take out Shin instead of leaving her barely trained friend with her?

I also didn't understand why Ahsoka dueled the other guy instead of her, aren't we supposed to think that Shin is the bigger threat of the two? Why did they even split up in that fight? I know why the show wanted to force them into two 1v1s but there was no reason given on screen.

Besides that the fight was another case of where a "good guy" survives far longer than they should because "plot armor" or are we really supposed to think Sabine would last this long vs Shin (they even show later on how easily Shin could just use her force powers to shoke her, inconstent use of force powers and "power levels" in SW isn't new but does it really need to be this bad?).
I even think that it took Ahsoka far too long to beat her opponent if you consider the standard in regards to her power that has been established in the past and funnily enough the end of that fight perfectly showed why it should have been ended quickly. So despite the ticking time and Ahsoka not taking a single second to quickly help Sabine she is dragging out the fight or not taking it seriously enough to get rid off him fast.
It's another case of where the writing and the context go against what they want to have as "cool action" sequence so they ignore what their own story demands.

At least the fight between Ahsoka and Baylan was overall well done AND they did find a good reason/excuse for Ahsoka to lose the fight, ie she had to rush for the macguffin and that resulted in an injury which massively hampered her ability to fight. So all good there, I just wish the whole leadup to that would have made a lot more sense.
The resolution was of course very tropey in regards to how it played out with Sabine, Baylan and Shin but at this point that's still better than a lot of the other writing.

Overall this was still the best episode so far despite my complaints which just highlight that this show could be much better than it is and a big reason why this episode worked is mainly down to things happening and the promise it holds for the next eps.

Well, Ahsoka (Feloni) could always use the whole"Jedi heaven/time travel dimension" thing as excuse to retcon the "future" but I don't think they will go that far though I also wish they would because all the new movies just wasted any potential for that timeframe.

I think you just need to accept that this show is largely operating on Saturday morning children's cartoon logic. While I'm sure plenty of posters will try to come up with bizarre in-universe explanations for why a character did a thing, it's largely just that this is the show the creators are making. The meta text is the text. Named children are not going to die ergo bringing them along just makes sense. Of course Sabine isn't going to destroy the orb. Of course it takes Ahsoka some time to beat some random gas man despite being one of the greatest living warriors at this point in time. And of course she has trouble with some random middle-aged guy. Of course Sabine can suddenly hold her own against a trained Jedi after like 2 days of training.

I'm going to keep poking fun at the stupidity of a lot of it but I wouldn't get this worked up over it because I can assure you, it's going to get way way dumber before the end.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Why did you put father figure in quotes when Kanan is literally jacen's dad

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

LinkesAuge posted:

I personally don't care too much about that specific point but Ahsoka fought Darth Vader(!) with two lightsabers and in that fight they even highlight how she blocks his powerful blows with two sabers. So it's either just inconsistent writing or down to the fact that they can't pull off two handed fights properly so they do the "easier" thing.

Or it could be that Baylan Is loving Huge and Ahsoka has matured a lot since her last spat with a heavy sabre fighter.

Vinylshadow posted:

If she didn't bring her kid along, he'd pull an Ezra/Sabine, steal a ship, and follow her

Definitely. It's probably in Hera's best interest to just have him come along under her close watch instead.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Why wouldn't Sabine be able to hold her own against an apprentice fallen Jedi? We've seen plenty of non-force users hold their own for a while against actual Jedi (Jango, to name one) and Sabine has previous on and off-screen lightsaber training. And she loses.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Besides, Chopper is basically a robot pitbull. No one is loving with that kid.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If chopper doesn't get a little war crime, as a treat, I'm gonna be disappointed

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm willing to give this episode significantly more slack on "cartoon logic" because the back half reached something like the level of pacing and exciting things happening I would expect of a cartoon. But the problem remains there were 3.5 mostly boring episodes before that casting a shadow on all these events and that can't really be escaped at this point

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

We've seen plenty of non-force users hold their own for a while against actual Jedi (Jango, to name one)

He was doing great while he maintained discipline in his fighting style, but then he went and lost his head :hmmno:

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

site posted:

Why did you put father figure in quotes when Kanan is literally jacen's dad

Because Kanan himself was never a father/experienced being an "actual" father but was a father figure to Kanan, that's why I used the quotes.

Jehde posted:

Or it could be that Baylan Is loving Huge and Ahsoka has matured a lot since her last spat with a heavy sabre fighter.

I mean in the end it's another case of "opponent is as strong as the story demands it" but like Ahsoka said, Anakin never even mentioned Baylan and for all we know there is nothing to suggest that Baylan is another "super Jedi" but rather a middle of the road Jedi which is still powerful by any standard but not someone Ahsoka would suddenly struggle against and I don't even think the scene was supposed to show anything like that (also "size"/physical power in Star Wars is really never a factor in actual fights, at least in regards to how "powerful" someone really is, it can be somewhat of a visual metaphor but I don't think that Baylan's physical presence should be taken too much into account).
Imo it clearly shows that Ahsoka has to take him seriously, he is a fully trained Jedi afterall, but without the limitation of the "ticking bomb" I don't think we are to assume that Ahsoka would have had any problem dealing with Baylan.

PS: Now that people mention him: Chopper should have been with Hera.

I'm willing to give this episode significantly more slack on "cartoon logic" because the back half reached something like the level of pacing and exciting things happening I would expect of a cartoon. But the problem remains there were 3.5 mostly boring episodes before that casting a shadow on all these events and that can't really be escaped at this point

The real problem with "cartoon logic" is that even the cartoons were often better than this. The most frustrating thing about Ahsoka so far is that it doesn't even match the writing level of a freaking cartoon show. I won't pretend that Rebels didn't have bad episodes but it's the typical "we need to fill out these long seasons" kind of bad eps you expect from a cartoon (kids) show. The overall plot and the characters were still very solid and they did have some really good character work over the course of the seasons including some very interesting concepts/story arcs.
The show might now finally get to the "good bits" but its character work so far has been wonky compared to the cartoons and on top heavily relies on them to do the heavy lifting (which might be a problem because maybe the writers are trapped between what they have to establish themselves and what the cartoons already did).

LinkesAuge fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 6, 2023

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

I got the idea they had a set length when you made them. Not like a knob to turn it from short-sword to 30 foot room chopper

Generally, they do. Hers are two different sizes.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

LinkesAuge posted:

Because Kanan himself was never a father/experienced being an "actual" father but was a father figure to Kanan, that's why I used the quotes.

I mean in the end it's another case of "opponent is as strong as the story demands it" but like Ahsoka said, Anakin never even mentioned Baylan and for all we know there is nothing to suggest that Baylan is another "super Jedi" but rather a middle of the road Jedi which is still powerful by any standard but not someone Ahsoka would suddenly struggle against and I don't even think the scene was supposed to show anything like that (also "size"/physical power in Star Wars is really never a factor in actual fights, at least in regards to how "powerful" someone really is, it can be somewhat of a visual metaphor but I don't think that Baylan's physical presence should be taken too much into account).
Imo it clearly shows that Ahsoka has to take him seriously, he is a fully trained Jedi afterall, but without the limitation of the "ticking bomb" I don't think we are to assume that Ahsoka would have had any problem dealing with Baylan.

PS: Now that people mention him: Chopper should have been with Hera.

Chopper was with Hera

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Chopper was with Hera

I meant in place of the kid instead of being an ignored extra.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Phenotype posted:

Watching the new Ahsoka now. So, is General Hara from one of the cartoons or something? I'm guessing that's why she wears that outfit, with the jacket and the weird goggles thing on her head? It makes her look like she's a pilot or an engineer or something, it took me a couple episodes to fully internalize that she was an actual general with like, authority and everything.

The goggles are a holdover from her design in the animated show, but it's also convenient in covering the seam where the head tentacle prosthetic meets the actress's forehead. (Same applies to the little leather tiara thing that Ahsoka wears)

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

LinkesAuge posted:

I've taken everything so far to imply that Baylan was out of the order before his training was anywhere near complete, and did a lot of self training to get him and Shin to where they are now, similarly to Kanan.

Darko posted:

Generally, they do. Hers are two different sizes.

Yeah emitters usually have a set "setting" that's set by the jedi once and never touched again, but some jedi build in easy emitter adjusters for whatever reasons.

LinkesAuge posted:

I meant in place of the kid instead of being an ignored extra.

I mean he's getting lines, I don't know what more you'd want in the sort of situation.

Even if it was just something like "Mom said buckle up" I think. I still feel adament about letting Jacen pull the lever, Chopper is much better suited controlling the ship's weapon systems in the back.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 6, 2023

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Why wouldn't Sabine be able to hold her own against an apprentice fallen Jedi? We've seen plenty of non-force users hold their own for a while against actual Jedi (Jango, to name one) and Sabine has previous on and off-screen lightsaber training. And she loses.

Ehhhhh...

Jango was running away and using everything in his arsenal including Boba shooting at him with the Slave One to keep him away. The whole time he was flying around and shooting missiles at him and stuff and not "fighting" him. As soon as he fought him, he was on the losing end, even when both of Obi Wans hands were wrapped up.

Jango did kill Coleman Trebor, but Im pretty sure that was the worst Jedi to ever exist. Then, the second he attacks a Jedi where he can't fly around, he loses his head.

Maul easily killed the one dude when he took over Mandalore. Sabine had Ezra and Kanan with super nice gloves with her and only got an advantage on Ezra via using Mandalorian shenanigans he didn't expect. Also, Ezra is a terrible duelist who can't beat Inquisitors at that time.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

There's no way this plot is getting resolved in 4 more episodes right?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

He was doing great while he maintained discipline in his fighting style, but then he went and lost his head :hmmno:

Funny how people keep getting in over their head when confronting Mace Windu...

https://twitter.com/ahsokaofficial/status/1699452403878080994

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Obviously it's been purely for plot convenience but I think it's been healthy for the show that ahsoka and sabine kinda suck at fighting and I hope it continues until/unless they get their arc capping W. It's one of the few things pulling in the other direction from the obnoxious character worship fanservice-y stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

LinkesAuge posted:

The bolded part is true, but at the same time I think "Ahsoka severely injures her hand and she gets distracted out of concern for Sabine and the map and all that" is an acceptable enough pretense for her taking an L against a burly, mid-tier Jedi.