Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The only difference between Ace Combat and Armored Core is Jets vs Robots. Everything else is pretty much the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
The most unrealistic part of Ace Combat is the F35 is flyable in Ace Combat

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas
https://youtu.be/CH8o9DIIXqI?feature=shared

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

random youtube guy has infested another thread

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Eyy, nice. Any Goons managed to get it working? Is it viable? Because goddamn I think either the GC version of PSO or else Diablo 2 is the single game I spent the most hours of my life with.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
finally my Deck has shipped. hopefully I'll be replacing the drive this weekend

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Anybody playing/played Horizon's Gate on deck since they added official support? I just got it and was really enjoying it but I opened up the performance controls to turn down the TDP and noticed it was set to integer scaling, I think I set it by accident on my main profile or something. I set it back to linear and the game window seemed to change resolution and aspect ratio (now pillarboxed) and got kinda blurry from the linear scaling. I went into the game options and it was set to windowed. I can change to fullscreen and get full width again but everything is annoyingly small now. So my options seem to be pillarboxed and kinda lovely looking or too small lol. I swear to god it was both not pillarboxed and a reasonable resolution when I started. Any idea how to get it back to the way it was? Or am I crazy and it was always like this?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Is there a way to make the Deck library view default to the Favorites tab, rather than "All Games" or "Installed"?

I use the Favorites tab as the place where my Deck specific games, including emulated ones, go. But I always have to tab over to it.

Also, sometimes when backing out of viewing a game, or when backing out of applying art with the SteamGridDB plugin, the system randomly switches back to the "All Games" or "Installed" tab.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Annath posted:

Is there a way to make the Deck library view default to the Favorites tab, rather than "All Games" or "Installed"?

I use the Favorites tab as the place where my Deck specific games, including emulated ones, go. But I always have to tab over to it.

Also, sometimes when backing out of viewing a game, or when backing out of applying art with the SteamGridDB plugin, the system randomly switches back to the "All Games" or "Installed" tab.

I think there's a Decky plugin for this, but I can't remember which one.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tabmaster

I really wish there was a way to (temporarily) pull a game off my recents. Or pin some.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I’ve basically started using Favorites as tab for the few games I’m actively playing so I don’t forget.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

sigher posted:

A lot, my Deck is noticeably quieter with the pad and fan replacement. Thermals are also lower than they've ever been.

So this is very true after some more time with it. I have the pad, jsaux backplate and fan replacement and it's never been quieter. The thermals are excellent in game to where it's easy to see why the 1% and 0.1% lows would benefit so much from the processor not have to downclock as often.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

So some Valve hardware just got past certification in S. Korea and the speculation is either a new VR headset or the Deck 2.

I'd be surprised at a Deck 2 so soon after the first one. Especially since they said part of the goal was to kickstart PC gaming consoles so Valve can sell more PC game, which the Deck has certainly helped do.

I'm more worried we'll never see a Deck 2 if all the new PC handhelds do well. I really hope others pick up the controller hardware, not just the form factor.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

v1ld posted:

So some Valve hardware just got past certification in S. Korea and the speculation is either a new VR headset or the Deck 2.

I'd be surprised at a Deck 2 so soon after the first one. Especially since they said part of the goal was to kickstart PC gaming consoles so Valve can sell more PC game, which the Deck has certainly helped do.

I read the VR thread and it seems like it’s a VR thing.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

v1ld posted:

So this is very true after some more time with it. I have the pad, jsaux backplate and fan replacement and it's never been quieter. The thermals are excellent in game to where it's easy to see why the 1% and 0.1% lows would benefit so much from the processor not have to downclock as often.

How difficult is the replacement of the thermal paste with a pad?

From 1-10 where 1 is replacing the SSD, and 10 is like, replacing the screen.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

bleh anonymous; code really doesnt play well on the deck, dialogue is missing completely and it keeps crashing

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Are thermal pads a hip new thing? Well, not new - I remember they existed before Arctic Silver, and they sucked rear end. Are good thermal pads now a thing?

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 8, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Annath posted:

How difficult is the replacement of the thermal paste with a pad?

From 1-10 where 1 is replacing the SSD, and 10 is like, replacing the screen.

Probably in the middle due to the fact you’re getting a little more into the components

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aai2AtxenU0&t=692s

CryoByte shows the process and says it takes about 20 minutes including cleaning/removing the old paste.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

what's the replacement fan to get? if I’m busting this thing open I may as well upgrade the fan while I’m in there. I’m less anxious about that than the SDD.

TwoStoryHouseCat
Aug 30, 2023

I've narrowed down why the deck has been having trouble waking from sleep the past week. It's probably because I have a habit of putting it to sleep immediately after quitting games.
Certain games might still have a background process in memory for a few seconds, so they break the hibernate function, I guess?
Symptoms are: it takes two tries to wake the deck, and oftentimes the deck's status bar is missing and requires a restart

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I never quit games I just put it to sleep

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MarcusSA posted:

I never quit games I just put it to sleep

Does Steam Cloud sync for games that are still running?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Does Steam Cloud sync for games that are still running?

don't think so

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

It can, but the game explicitly has to use the SteamWorks API to do it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

For when you can never have enough space.

Dr. Eldarion posted:

SABRENT Rocket Q4 2230 NVMe 4.0 2TB High Performance PCIe 4.0 M.2 2230 SSD $199.99

It Just Fits: The Rocket Q4 2230 is specially designed to fit your Steam Deck, ASUS ROG Ally, and other devices that have limited internal space.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wake me when there’s a 4TB 2230.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

4TB SSDs are poo poo

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Quantum of Phallus posted:

4TB SSDs are poo poo

How so?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Void Stranger and Bomb Rush Cyberfunk are great Deck games.

Void Stranger is Sokoban mixed with meta-puzzles like you'd find in La Mulana, I usually don't care for Sokoban but I dig puzzles and this has been good.

Bomb Rush Cyberfunk is a new Jet Set Radio game down to paying the same guy to make some of the music. Smaller scale game but it's fun if you like JSR.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Bunch of links to parts I used:
- Fan is same as best stock fan, but mine was making a clicking/grinding sound. Whisper quiet with thermal improvements.
- Backplate. Get the new, new one where the back plastic covers the metal plate.
- Thermal Pad. Not hard, easier than repasting a desktop CPU with a big cooler. The hardest part is cutting out the right size and peeling off the wrapper without tearing it. Freeze the pad for 30 mins and cut/peel off wrapper while still frozen. Your fingers are warm enough to soften the pad to where it can tear while you're pulling off the adhesive wrapper.
- Plenty of SSDs out there. I bought the 2TB XTPC partly to get it on the day I was going to install all the other stuff too. Need to buy a single sided one is all. I only did this upgrade because I wanted space to leave modded games lying around, it's often a little more work to mod on the Deck and didn't want to delete them. Unless you have the 64GB version, an SD card is cheaper and good enough and more. The 64GB should doing an SSD, even 256GB will be a big help.

Use the iFixit instructions, they're really good and let you read ahead unlike a video.

Don't be like me: remember to hook up the battery again when you're done installing! Use battery down mode to be safe. The iFixit instructions tell you how.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 8, 2023

TwoStoryHouseCat
Aug 30, 2023

TwoStoryHouseCat posted:

I've narrowed down why the deck has been having trouble waking from sleep the past week. It's probably because I have a habit of putting it to sleep immediately after quitting games.
Certain games might still have a background process in memory for a few seconds, so they break the hibernate function, I guess?
Symptoms are: it takes two tries to wake the deck, and oftentimes the deck's status bar is missing and requires a restart

Nvm I was wrong and now out of ideas :shrug: and hope an OS update will improve sleep

Atoramos posted:

Void Stranger and Bomb Rush Cyberfunk are great Deck games.

Cool now I want to play these

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The SSD stands for solid poo poo dookie

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
So far the best games for the deck for me this year have been Dredge and Dave the Diver. Dredge is such a joy and dave the diver is great at the "one more dive" kinda gameplay.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

This is the pad upgrade video I checked before deciding to do it, shows all the steps. I used the alcohol wipes that came with the pad I bought to remove the paste, much faster than the video.

https://youtu.be/laUueUIRmxo?si=8OMPPwmZycUniPX9

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Squiggle posted:

Are thermal pads a hip new thing? Well, not new - I remember they existed before Arctic Silver, and they sucked rear end. Are good thermal pads now a thing?

You might be thinking of the Graphite Pads that are really only good for CPUs that aren't going to be taxed a lot, but the new pads are just god drat wizardry. I'm going to use them instead of paste for my desktop builds from now on and see how that goes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That reminds me, I wanted to put thermal pads on my GPU too, and I have them sitting around here somewhere…

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

TwoStoryHouseCat posted:

Nvm I was wrong and now out of ideas :shrug: and hope an OS update will improve sleep

It’s gonna sound weird but turn on those silly wake animations. If you have it on already change it to a different one. Doing this fixed all my wake from sleep issues.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

why can't they make the whole heat sink out of thermal pad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

why can't they make the whole heat sink out of thermal pad

If I remember my high school science class, conduction and radiation of heat are two different properties and a material can be good at one and not the other.