Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I am allergic to both dogs and cats but grew up with cats and have one of the most sheddy dogs known to man, AMA

I take Claritin and Flonase daily so it’s mostly under control, and it’s worth it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
It was like 100 degrees in Minnesota over the weekend and my cats just spent all day posed like this

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Salvor_Hardin posted:

It was like 100 degrees in Minnesota over the weekend and my cats just spent all day posed like this

Hell, same.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Those are some fluffy kitties that definitely need tummy rubs.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Silly Burrito posted:

Man, for our last house payment, we took pictures and everything. It's definitely worth getting excited over paying a major loan off.

My daughter got her full license today. She's borrowing my truck this afternoon. I fully trust her but I'm still a bit :ohdear: at the thought of her driving without us.
The day I got my license, after driving home with my mom because I still had to have a full licensed driver in the car to get to the DMV, she hands me some money and says "Go pick up some Chinese food, you get to run errands now" Ahh, the joy of responsibility.

In completely different news, the power cord on my laptop frayed and now doesn't work. It frayed right where the hard part of the plug meets the flexible cable, right near where it connects to the laptop. Good thing I have this shiny new one I haven't bothered to properly set up! I think a replacement power cord is like $60.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

That's pretty much what I'm doing right now, just with clothes on.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 6, 2023

T-Square
May 14, 2009

CannonFodder posted:

The day I got my license, after driving home with my mom because I still had to have a full licensed driver in the car to get to the DMV, she hands me some money and says "Go pick up some Chinese food, you get to run errands now" Ahh, the joy of responsibility.

The day I got my license my mom gave me her keys and I went out with my friend and dragged the bottom of the passenger side skirt across a landscaping rock I didn’t see turning into a parking lot :v:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

T-Square posted:

The day I got my license my mom gave me her keys and I went out with my friend and dragged the bottom of the passenger side skirt across a landscaping rock I didn’t see turning into a parking lot :v:

Wasn't the day I got my license but soon after I went into a ditch and some dude came by to help me and my buddies push the car out of it. I wasn't high or drinking or anything like that, just going too fast while trying to make a turn because I was a teenaged idiot.

But he was very worried that we needed to get this done before the cops showed up. I mean, I do appreciate the help and the lesson that you don't want them involved in anything.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

My dad told me he would give me $200 if I could go a year without wrecking my car. I backed it into a tree that day.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

CannonFodder posted:

To quote Granny Weatherwax, “the reward for lots of work seemed to be lots more. If you dug the biggest hole, they just gave you a bigger shovel.”

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Freaquency posted:

My dad told me he would give me $200 if I could go a year without wrecking my car. I backed it into a tree that day.

all right car story

my first car was a 2002 volkswagon jetta. I had worked regularly since I was 14 so I actually had enough money for half the downpayment, and I could make half the monthly on it pretty easy. I had wanted a used WRX but my parents (rightly) realized I would not be able to drive responsibly in it. The rules of him helping me buy the car were simple: help with taking my sister to school/rehearsals, no smoking, and no one else in the car. I was old for my grade and I was one of the first kids to have a car.

So like the third day I had it I of course took my friends home from school. It was on Rea Rd in Charlotte and my friend Eric's neighborhood was on the right. Not even knowing what Ralley car racing was, I said "this car does Rally racing, you know?" When they asked what that meant, I said it could do power slides. I do not watch racing, and my knowledge of power slides comes from like Mario Kart, I just know you have to pull the emergency brake. This car was an automatic btw.

I decided to show them what I mean by turning into his neighborhood after pulling the break. His neighborhood was fancy and had some pointless decorative concrete island separating the right and left side of the entrance. It had grass, some bushes, and a bradford pear tree that I was heading right towards with a huge limb just waiting for me to hit it.

My car went right over the concrete island. It made a horrible sound as metal scraped on concrete. The car missed the tree and could not have come closer without hitting the roof or door on it. We came to a stop and were like "holy poo poo we're dead." I drove very slowly to my friend's house and got out to look at the damage. There was none.

There was not a scratch on my car. I couldn't believe it. That's when my friend said "uh there's a lot of fluid coming out of the bottom." And there sure was.

At this point my plan was to get home and figure it out from there. I didn't get very far before every single light on the dashboard came on, including the little oil can light. I pulled into retirement home that was about halfway between my friend's house and mine. Of course this is very far out of the way I would normally go to get home.

I called my dad and told him "something was wrong." The story I came up with was that I might have run over a concrete parking barrier at school by accident and didn't realize it. When he came to pick me up, he asked me why I was over here and I just said "uh I wanted to go a different way home." Looking back on that moment, I think I knew I was hosed. But I was hopeful that I could pull this off. Car was towed. It was very tense at the hosue that night, but I still thought I'd pulled it off.

I can't remember how I got to school the next day but my dad picked me up. Alone. He was always listening to Steely Dan but the car was silent. He wouldn't respond to me when I said hi. He took a turn away from our house and towards my friend's. I knew immediately I was hosed. I didn't tell him I was speeding, or trying to do a "power slide," but I did tell him that the turn snuck up on me and I didn't react fast enough. Just to rub it in, he accelerated (2000 a6 I think) into the turn and dodged the island at the last second. Still has not said anything to me. "You tore your oil pan out." I have no idea what that is.

It's now that I notice we're following a huge stain on the asphalt that very clearly goes into my best friends driveway then loops back out. My dad follows this trail right to the nursing home I pulled in to. Later my mother would tell me that the technician at the VW dealership called asking why the bottom of the car was covered in monkey grass, dirt, and pinestraw.

I wasn't allowed to leave the house for three months except for work, which at that point was a McAllister's Deli making potatoes for 6.15 an hour. And I had to walk. I had to pay for the oil pan replacement which was like 700 bucks, which in retrospect was probably a good thing because I was looking at buying a body kit or something for my Jetta. Again, no idea what I was planning to do with that. Of course I was punished for lying, which I doubt is true.

Medium term is my dad apparently told all of his golf buddies that story and it was legendary. For the rest of my teens if I saw his friends they'd ask if I'd managed to dodge all the shrubbery. One of his friends I remember said one time "Gotta be careful, if you see one <decorative shrub> there's usually more." If my dad was driving he'd make a point to drive by my friend's neighborhood and just smirk. I think I did tell my dad I pulled the emergency brake (out of panic) because I rememberr his friends making fun of that and arguing if it was possible. And if my dad had buddies over, my mom would make me bring them beers just so they could all scream "HERE HE IS!"

I never had so much of a scratch on a car until I wrecked my Civic a decade later. My dad still laughs about that story today.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Nothing serious, more of my first car being a heap. Took my friends out in my ‘66 Bug. Stopped at a red light let off the clutch to hard and a BAD noise started coming out of the back. I had some how blown the air filter off the carb and it got lodged between the deck lid and the flywheel shredding the belt. First day

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Obviously that was very stupid, but I feel like if you tell your 16 year old kid who is the first of his friend group to get a license he can't drive his friends around, you're just setting him up for doing it anyways and lying to you. If you don't want your brand new driving teenager driving their friends just don't let them have their own car.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

A month and a couple days after I got my license I turned left from an offramp stopsign toward an underpass with rough sightlines at twilight. Didn't see a pickup truck who was passing the "end 45 MPH speed limit" sign. No idea how fast he was going when he hit the drivers door straight on. It rotated me about 120 degrees so the next thing I knew he was in front of me, my window was down about 2 inches, and a stranger was sprinting toward the car.

The cops got there first and told me they called for everyone with some kind of skill, including Mayo 1, the local helicopter. Don't remember who got there next between the fire department and ambulance, but by the time they got the door off with the jaws of life they told the helicopter to stand down, gotten the neck stabilizer on me, and put me on a board and into the ambulance. A quick ride and some x-rays later, I was hobbling to my dad's car with a clean bill of health (some major bruises) and an $88 ticket for failure to yield right of way.

It was pretty much a parent's nightmare up until they said I was fine, but boy did it do a good job of making me hyper aware of the very real potential outcome every time I get behind the wheel.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Somehow I was the only one of my circle of friends that didn't damage their car backing up when we all got licenses. One friend was even able to flip his car over and not die when his old Dodge Omni landed on its roof.

Worst/most embarassing wreck is a tie between two. One was in college in Savannah when I got hit by a car turning left and the other person was honest-to-god dressed like a pimp. The other was when I was in my late 30's in a parking lot after getting road head by my girlfriend and inadvertently driving into another car in the lot.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Relatively soon before my dad fractured his hip my brother had expressed interest in finding something we could play online together, so I sent an email to him and my dad to organize it. My dad had previously told me his computer isn't too out of date and he expects he could play some stuff on Steam, then sent me his specs and he's rocking a GTX e: 470 460.

Blowjob Overtime fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 7, 2023

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Some lady on Jeopardy today was shown a picture of Peyton Manning and answered Tom Brady

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
loving weird day. The CEO that joined my previous job that eventually led to me getting laid off last year resigned today. He’s apparently also going to be running for governor of Texas??

Fuckin whiplash man

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Lol

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
They are both ugly and I work with multiple people who have deposits on one.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
Just the dumbest loving people.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Don’t doxx me dude

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

drat he's all ready to win the Pinewood derby this year

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Whooping Crabs posted:

drat he's all ready to win the Pinewood derby this year

That poo poo isn’t streamlined enough to win a pinewood derby. Also too ugly for the pinewood derby.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

The first car isn’t holding a fish though :confused:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

The Cybertruck is a prime litmus test with 100% sensitivity for Idiot Assholes.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

I love the little red lens flare masquerading as a tail light in the concept design

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That is just the picture vs reality fast food bit

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Go figure this crossed my feed from Bill Oakley:
https://www.twitter.com/sawyermerritt/status/1699257380054179856?s=46&t=crshEc6ZJO1zh40ZDAIfPQ

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Jeez, I never did anything dumb and damaging to any cars we owned over the years, just got pulled over a handful of times. However I did almost break my neck to death on my bike when I was 12. Still have the scar on my upper lip, but not really visible through the facial hair.

I started from who knows, let's say 100 yards back and up an incline. Pedaled as fast as I could and went straight out over a 12-foot slope down to a soccer field, which is when I blacked out. Landed and skidded on my face until my head hit the goalpost. Woke up in the ambulance to a guy saying "Keep your eyes open, kid" which I did not, woke up again in the hospital when they stitched up my upper lip.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I don't recall doing anything particularly stupid with my first car.

It did get totaled, however, when I was driving my sister home from volleyball practice one afternoon. Some dipshit ran a stop sign and T-boned me, making my car do a 180, slide across two lanes of oncoming traffic and wind up completely on the grass on the other side of the road. Thankfully the hit just missed my sister, otherwise she would have been in a world of hurt.

The car was a total loss, though. The frame and suspension were just wrecked (the passenger-side wheels, which were the first to go over the curb, were completely horizontal; think the flying DeLorean from Back to the Future Part 2).

I miss that 1991 Honda.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The loving temerity of Elno to invoke Douglas Adams with the “DON’T PANIC” on there. loving hell.

I didn’t have any problems with the high school-era family car or the car I got in high school as a very young dumbass, I almost spun it once but got lucky. When I did have a problem with that old thing was driving home very late and learning that deer usually travel in packs. Didn’t wreck the car, luckily, just needed a hood and fender replaced.

I’ve had three cars in Japan - first was a Daihatsu kei hatchback where I looked like Donkey Kong from Mario Kart, the second a Subaru Legacy B4 sedan that was awesome but drank so much gas, and now a BMW 1-series hatchback that is fairly responsible and VW Golf-sized. At least it’s still RWD and fun when you want it to be.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

harperdc posted:

When I did have a problem with that old thing was driving home very late and learning that deer usually travel in packs.

A friend of mine here in Dubuque, who's ten or eleven years older than I am, learned that the hard way back in 2007 or 2008. He was driving back from an Iowa Jaycees board meeting held in Des Moines one night, and some deer decided to cross the highway and his Mazda6 got absolutely wrecked. Just destroyed beyond repair.

He had literally bought it a week earlier.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I got to drive my parent's 98 camry as my first car, since my dad had a company car. Anyway, my mom had an extremely stressful job that made her a hair trigger pull away from losing her poo poo. In my first few months of driving I was in stop and go traffic I looked down for a second and didn't realize the car in front of me slammed on their brakes and I slightly rear ended them. No dent, just a scratch. Lady was super nice and said no need to exchange info because the scratch on her car wasn't noticeable (also she was probably in a hurry too).

On the way home from school I stopped at a Shucks (now O'Reilly's) and got some touch up paint. Got home, thinking my mom was at work, and started applying it. poo poo, it's slightly darker than the car paint, ah well - still looks fine. My mom pops out of the garage and asks me what the hell I was doing - apparently she had the day off. Well, I didn't bother lying and told her what happened. She said "I see." Walked back into the garage, turned on the vacuum (it was one of those huge interconnected ones through the house) and just let out a huge scream. Basically that, combined with the stress of everything happening at work just put her over the edge.

For some reason my driving privileges were not revoked, but man, put an extreme amount of fear in me.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Timby posted:

A friend of mine here in Dubuque, who's ten or eleven years older than I am, learned that the hard way back in 2007 or 2008. He was driving back from an Iowa Jaycees board meeting held in Des Moines one night, and some deer decided to cross the highway and his Mazda6 got absolutely wrecked. Just destroyed beyond repair.

He had literally bought it a week earlier.

Forget if I've told this story before but ages ago I worked night shift in a building supply warehouse. One of the guys I worked with was this kid who primarily got the job to save up for a Jaguar he'd been eyeing.

Well, one day he finally has enough to put down a down payment. He's all amped up to take it out that weekend. We see him on Monday and it turns out he wrapped it around a telephone pole doing triple digits while drinking. He and his buddy also had two underage girls in the car. His chest was just an enormous purple bruise and he was just lucky to be alive, and lucky nobody in the car died either.

He worked a couple more weeks or so there while he was awaiting trial. No idea how all that turned out for him but uh... I can't imagine it went particularly well.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

My first car was a 84 Olds Delta 88. My dad found it at an estate sale for like 500 bucks. It had the 307 V8 and despite that it was quiet, slow, rusty, it ate a condenser every summer, and none of my friends and for drat sure no girl would want to be caught dead in it. I suppose that was the point.

But it also taught me how to drive carefully, not get in a hurry, and a poo poo ton about maintaining a car. My dad and I replaced the head gasket twice and rebuilt the transmission. Got another car in the 2000s and held on to it before selling it. I should have done an LS swap instead.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

dirty shrimp money posted:

My first car was a 84 Olds Delta 88. My dad found it at an estate sale for like 500 bucks. It had the 307 V8 and despite that it was quiet, slow, rusty, it ate a condenser every summer, and none of my friends and for drat sure no girl would want to be caught dead in it. I suppose that was the point.

But it also taught me how to drive carefully, not get in a hurry, and a poo poo ton about maintaining a car. My dad and I replaced the head gasket twice and rebuilt the transmission. Got another car in the 2000s and held on to it before selling it. I should have done an LS swap instead.

Very similar to me. First car was an 85 Chevy Celebrity. It was a rusted out piece of junk that I had to refill with oil every couple of months. It topped out at about 65 MPH before it started shaking a lot, and eventually the cloth ceiling started falling down so I stapled it back into place. It was the perfect car for a 16 year old. Once it was really and truly dead, my dad donated it to the high school auto shop. I think he took a deduction on his taxes for the blue book value, which was way more than it was worth. Heard the school went to town on it, so there wasn't really any evidence if someone really wanted to go see the car.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

seiferguy posted:

Walked back into the garage, turned on the vacuum (it was one of those huge interconnected ones through the house) and just let out a huge scream.

I feel this move with my entire soul. This is being a mom in a nutshell. Wow.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Car chat:

My first car was a 1994 Buick Park Avenue I got from my grandparents. It had been my grandmothers car and when I got it in 2009, it had barely 50K on it, had been garage kept and very lightly used for its entire life up to that point. It was a boat and rode well, it could coast for a good mile or two without losing much speed, had really comfy bench seats, a good AC at the time (Key for South Florida, and would become an issue later), controls on the steering column and poo poo, really good.

There ended up being two big issues. While my grandmother had barely used it, and since my grandfather worked at a dealership it was always well maintained, I was quickly putting a lot of miles on it driving back and forth to school and work and whatnot, and very quickly stuff started to break. Some was simple stuff, a hose here or a minor thing there. Other stuff wasn’t. The windows and everything were all electric, and since they were barely used in the previous decade+, the motors would lock up. I had to kick the from drivers side one for a while to make it work, the back drivers side one didn’t open at all. Various electrical stuff started to fail in a year or two, all those controls in the steering column for the radio and AC died off or didn’t work right, but that wasn’t a big issue. The pulse board that controlled the window wipers crapped out, losing all the middle speed settings (So it was only super slow or super fast), and eventually would only turn off if I turned the car completely off. Horn fuse broke, which happened at like 5 AM so the horn went off for like 10 minutes and then never worked again. All sorts of other minor poo poo.

Which brought up the second biggest issue: They’d stopped making that body style in 1996, and the subsequent model years of Park Avenue used almost entirely different parts for everything. This meant anytime I needed something replaced, it was either refurbished second hand stuff, or from a junk shop, or jury-rigged. I tried for over a year to find a replacement control board for the windshield wipers and after four or five attempts, just gave up cause we couldn’t find one that worked.For a while, all that wasn’t much of an issue. The motor and AC worked, the radio worked. That was all I needed, really. Also, cosmetically, I think it being garage kept hurt it cause within a year the paint on the roof started to go, so it got progressively sketchy looking, but I really didn’t care too much. It worked, it hadn’t cost me much, it rode well, so gently caress it.

And then in late 2015, poo poo started getting weird. The car would randomly rev way the gently caress up at odd times and I’d have to shut it off to stop it. The AC started to go and finally died in like April 2016, which is a perfect time to be getting in a black car with leather seats every afternoon to go to work or school (The thermometer still worked, so I always knew it was 115° to 120° when I got in :suicide:). I suffered through that for like two months before finally getting a new car, a 2016 Chevy Cruze, which I’ve had ever since without any issues whatsoever or major complaints (My only gripe is it doesn’t have cruise control, which makes drives up to Orlando or Ocala to see family a bit rough on my legs).

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Very similar to me. First car was an 85 Chevy Celebrity. It was a rusted out piece of junk that I had to refill with oil every couple of months. It topped out at about 65 MPH before it started shaking a lot, and eventually the cloth ceiling started falling down so I stapled it back into place. It was the perfect car for a 16 year old. Once it was really and truly dead, my dad donated it to the high school auto shop. I think he took a deduction on his taxes for the blue book value, which was way more than it was worth. Heard the school went to town on it, so there wasn't really any evidence if someone really wanted to go see the car.

What’s up ‘85 CC buddy. Mine made a horrible screeching sound if you turned right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I always loved the first gen MR2 growing up so my folks found a red 1985 AW11 with a little over 100k mi for like 1200$ when I was 14 and my dad and I spent time together fixing it up to drive. It was just the best little car. Zippy little NA 4cyl, 5sp. I still miss that car.

dirty shrimp money posted:

LOL my grandmother had this car (in baby blue) until she died in 2007.

The three things I remember most:
A) trying not to barf all over the blue velvet interior in the backseat as a kid as she dropped the hammer floating over mountain backroads at 70mpg
B) the forty seven ash trays inside, but zero cup holders (sign of the times baybeeeee)
C) the wheezy malaise era V8, which made me appreciate how hard she had to hammer the accelerator to rip from place to place. That woman had a tungsten foot.