Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the NLRB just reinstituted card check. Lets. loving. GOOOOOOOOOOOO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

in a 6-3 decision…

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

In Training posted:

the NLRB just reinstituted card check. Lets. loving. GOOOOOOOOOOOO
they did? the thing i read made it sound like it's only in effect if the employer is found to have interfered. employer can still demand an election

https://twitter.com/jamieson/status/1695081827860365331

i mean it's definitely an improvement

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah I got overly hyped and mislead. But a definite improvement over the current status quo. Employers cause interference in basically every union election ever so it can be a good tool for a militant unit to push on and force bosses to a table way quicker than they could in the past

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
holy poo poo that's huge.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
yeah that seems like a big and good change. You gently caress with a union election, you get a union is pretty good.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/UAW/status/1695087426035650874

LFGGGGGGGGGG

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

*beating table* STRIKE STRIKE STRIKE

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
hell yeah

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

:letsgo:

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

they did? the thing i read made it sound like it's only in effect if the employer is found to have interfered. employer can still demand an election

https://twitter.com/jamieson/status/1695081827860365331

i mean it's definitely an improvement

what counts as an appropriate bargaining unit? like if a company has different departments

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Oglethorpe posted:

what counts as an appropriate bargaining unit? like if a company has different departments

there is a vast body of case law and agency opinions on the size of a bargaining unit and this decision doesn’t change any of that existing law

edit: not meaning to sound flippant, just noting that that is a separate and extremely complex issue that defies summarization in a single post

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Generally speaking, the bargaining unit is whoever is represented by a union, or is looking to be represented by a union. Usually it’s all non-management workers in a facility, but it is possible to have a facility where different departments or labor classifications are represented by different unions, or some departments are unionized while some aren’t.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

the language in that decision about a bargaining unit isn’t weird, but I see how it could look fishy. you can, for the purposes of the decision, read it as ‘workers who unionized’

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

to give a real-world example, we don't have a clause in our contract that makes membership mandatory - you get hired for this business unit and the union has the right to approach you and ask if you want to be a union member but even if you decline you're still a part of the bargaining unit because you're eligible for union membership AND hold a position represented in the CBA. I think things get a little hazy when you get into like, Weingarten rights territory but if there's say a clause in a contract that says the company can't install keyloggers on employee-assigned computers that applies to the whole bargaining unit, not just dues-paying members (also in our contract opted-out bargaining unit members pay ~half in dues). Bargaining unit exclusive workers generally aren't allowed a vote on contracts/strike authorizations etc

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
dunkin is gonna spend $10 million to try to squash this

https://twitter.com/UnionElections/status/1695828601369719250

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
doughnut workers united has some steam here in Portland. happy to see national donut organizing

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lib and let die posted:

to give a real-world example, we don't have a clause in our contract that makes membership mandatory - you get hired for this business unit and the union has the right to approach you and ask if you want to be a union member but even if you decline you're still a part of the bargaining unit because you're eligible for union membership AND hold a position represented in the CBA. I think things get a little hazy when you get into like, Weingarten rights territory but if there's say a clause in a contract that says the company can't install keyloggers on employee-assigned computers that applies to the whole bargaining unit, not just dues-paying members (also in our contract opted-out bargaining unit members pay ~half in dues). Bargaining unit exclusive workers generally aren't allowed a vote on contracts/strike authorizations etc

this is all pretty much the same as my bargaining unit yeah

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
https://twitter.com/IATSE/status/1696194727333232698?s=20

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1696513029297373493

let's see if the nlrb will actually do this poo poo

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hey guys, I just came from the YOSPOS images thread, and they brought up an excellent point that I think often gets overlooked in our complicated work lives.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

yes

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

a coworker has asked me as Shop Steward to make a formal complaint to management against another coworker for chronic unexcused tardiness. such a complaint would be equivalent to the first step for firing an employee, which sucks. she's had verbal warnings already from her immediate boss, and even all the ""laziest"" members in our unit are punctual.

said coworker also always calls in sick specifically on the most demanding shifts for the whole team, but that pattern is hard to prove

I've always taken the very severe "us vs them" approach with management, and have never in my life taken action against a colleague, and it sucks to be put in this position.

in other news

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
The answer you are looking for is "No." I'm a steward and the training made it very clear that it wasn't our job to involve ourselves in disputes between bargaining unit employees. He can rat to management himself if he wants, but you shouldn't take a position either way. Stay in your lane, even if it means a member is angry that the union can't help them in this case.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

yeah fortunately that's what I ended up doing yesterday. I even told my colleague that they can let management know that we had a conversation about it, but a complaint will not come from me, nor will I corroborate such a complaint to management.

e: pronouns

webcams for christ has issued a correction as of 19:48 on Sep 3, 2023

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

you’re doing the right thing. if discipline proceeds, your job will be to make sure the worker is being disciplined fairly, and if the worker is terminated, that they are terminated in accordance with the CBA.

our job is not to be management, and discipline is management’s job

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

https://teamster.org/2023/08/workers-at-elysian-brewery-vote-to-join-teamsters-local-117/

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

yeah our position on my union executive board is we do not do anything to help management discipline our members.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah our position on my union executive board is we do not do anything to help management discipline our members.

:hai:

I will put in a tiny plug for a formal Professional Standards program. they require significant buy-in from both management and the union to set up in the contract, but can provide management with another tool to work on problems that isn’t the sledgehammer of discipline. It’s also a fantastic tool to help BUEs solve interpersonal conflicts that escalate too far to be ignored.

(Full disclosure, I’m the PS lead for my facility, so I’m biased.)

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Welp, no longer in a union because I'm no longer employed

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lib and let die posted:

Sorry man. That fuckin sucks

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

is this retaliation or layoffs (or both I guess). Hopefully you can at least negotiate for severance and protections on the way out

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

informal count is 51 union positions eliminated, accounting for ~25% of the whole scope of layoffs we've been able to confirm so far

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Lib and let die posted:

at least you have a cool username

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

i spoke with someone at work today about capitalism and they say they are not a fan

also roughly told them about co-ops

they are in HR lol it is always a very weird dialogue

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Oglethorpe posted:

i spoke with someone at work today about capitalism and they say they are not a fan

also roughly told them about co-ops

they are in HR lol it is always a very weird dialogue

one of the bosses i have to negotiate with has a guillotine tattoo lmao

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I wrote something related to labor organizing, specifically why those "general strike now!!" memes are not the way forward https://killgoldfish.substack.com/p/online-general-strike-memes-are-not

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

kingcobweb posted:

I wrote something related to labor organizing, specifically why those "general strike now!!" memes are not the way forward https://killgoldfish.substack.com/p/online-general-strike-memes-are-not

haven't read it but is the gist of it "workers under the same roof need to talk to each other first and form a self-supporting community of sorts"?

quote:

An obvious response to this union-centric line of thinking might be: what’s stopping the 94% of non-union workers from striking? Well, the fact that they’re not organized.

:hmmyes:

a while back i asked someone if they went out for lunch with their shoulder-bumping colleagues and their immediate response was about the company not holding any lunches lately; as if that's the only acceptable time to hang out with coworkers outside of the workplace.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:toot:

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/marvel-union-special-effects-iatse-1235722298/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
trump with some interesting analysis

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1702037914329243879