Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I can just imagine how bad Bethesda's patented LitterBug technology (stuff you drop stays there) would work on spherical planets. You'd load into a room, all of the objects would be spawned in their saved positions, but the script to change the gravity to the correct direction hasn't run yet so they start flying off.

You should be able to fill your spaceship with junk so every time you brake everything you've dropped on the floor ends up in your windscreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

That loving Sned posted:

You should be able to fill your spaceship with junk so every time you brake everything you've dropped on the floor ends up in your windscreen.

Sounds like a feature to me

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I just signed up for 1 month of PC gamepass for $1 to play Starfield and I bet I'm going to get my money's worth :hellyeah:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

lol at the idea of paying $100 to play a game 5 days early when you could have waited 5 days and saved $99.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Seeing the british man's meltdown over Starfield combined with claims that the writing is noticeably better than Fallout 4 is kinda making me wanna try it. I haven't found a space RPG I've liked since Mass Effect 2.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Renting games lmao

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

why would a person play starfield

i don't get it

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Can't believe they keep saying NASApunk when it's neither.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

George posted:

Can't believe they keep saying NASApunk when it's neither.

NASApunk as in that girl that got fired from NASA for being a punk on social media

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

roomtone posted:

i don't get it

they like stars op

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

sebmojo posted:

they like stars op

And fields.

Lots of fields.

E: in eleven minutes I’m going to try this game for free because I was willing to wait a few hours.

e:lol, the "update" is over one hundred Gigabytes.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 6, 2023

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

roomtone posted:

i don't get it

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/988438295816069241/1148765479477985290/1693955829768837.webm

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

Are there any actual interesting things about Starfield's setting? It just seems like some basic space stuff with some ancient aliens or whatever. Compared to something as goofy as Mass Effect it seems uninspired.

It's interesting how little it explores or engages with its own setting maybe? You can freely travel between stars with free ships and don't have to worry about fuel or energy or anything really but the setting doesn't seem to do much with this power besides space trucking and WW2 dogfights. Most tech they have we basically have, we are maybe less likely to use an iPad to write one diary entry to leave laying around.

In some ways it seems like they were actively afraid of it being called Fallout 4 in space and steered clear of a lot of the setting stuff that helps their bad writing go down, the humor, the weirdness, the grime.

Most enemies look the exact same as you and your party because you're all wearing NASA style spacesuits for most things.

There are madlib type NMS aliens, but fighting them is just like killing fish in a barrel. Doesn't seem like anyone ever tried ranching or anything, have yet to encounter someone who just has a pet alien even. Guess haven't seen any animals in cities, maybe I'll look closer, but no cats/dogs/birds/rats that I recall.

Their big Cyberpunk city was also a bust, it's one street of a darkish area with some bright signs along the shop walls. It's got less detail and care put into it than any random street in a Yakuza game.

Game in general also feels oddly cheap in a lot of places. There's one segment where you're supposed to come together with the crew to repair the space station and catch up after the incredibly mild adventures you just had not together. The "repairing" they couldn't even bother to give you a repair animation or anything for, it's a text popup that says (you and Sarah work to repair the whatever with the wrenches and bla bla bla) and has you repeat that with several other tasks, most of which definitely have animations for.

On its own it's a small whatever thing, but when they have paper thin characters who aren't very interesting and spend most of the game nagging or repeating annoying quips, and this moment is like the facsimile of a "squad come together moment" but falls flat on its face because the dead eyed NPCs are so hollow and artificial.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Oh goodie, Starfield is on game pass.
"Your game needs an update: 117GB"

Thank you todd.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

lol at the idea of paying $100 to play a game 5 days early when you could have waited 5 days and saved $99.

Or played it for free for 5 days and not wait

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

lmao

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

You can't leave until it's working *cracks whip*.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

tango alpha delta posted:

e:lol, the "update" is over one hundred Gigabytes.

such a travesty hasn't been witnessed since the days of payday 2

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I'm guessing Bethesda doesn't actually have the ability to efficiently patch their clusterfuck of an engine, so the "update" is just another full client download.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Trip report: Starfield is fun. The shooting is fun. It’s not a terrible game and it’s not the best game ever, it’s just fun.

From a technical standpoint this game looks and feels like it’s running on top of idtech instead of a third party engine

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bethesda strikes me as the kind of outfit that would release a version of the game with all of the debug flags left on

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Khanstant posted:

It's interesting how little it explores or engages with its own setting maybe? You can freely travel between stars with free ships and don't have to worry about fuel or energy or anything really but the setting doesn't seem to do much with this power besides space trucking and WW2 dogfights. Most tech they have we basically have, we are maybe less likely to use an iPad to write one diary entry to leave laying around.

In some ways it seems like they were actively afraid of it being called Fallout 4 in space and steered clear of a lot of the setting stuff that helps their bad writing go down, the humor, the weirdness, the grime.

Most enemies look the exact same as you and your party because you're all wearing NASA style spacesuits for most things.

There are madlib type NMS aliens, but fighting them is just like killing fish in a barrel. Doesn't seem like anyone ever tried ranching or anything, have yet to encounter someone who just has a pet alien even. Guess haven't seen any animals in cities, maybe I'll look closer, but no cats/dogs/birds/rats that I recall.

Their big Cyberpunk city was also a bust, it's one street of a darkish area with some bright signs along the shop walls. It's got less detail and care put into it than any random street in a Yakuza game.

Game in general also feels oddly cheap in a lot of places. There's one segment where you're supposed to come together with the crew to repair the space station and catch up after the incredibly mild adventures you just had not together. The "repairing" they couldn't even bother to give you a repair animation or anything for, it's a text popup that says (you and Sarah work to repair the whatever with the wrenches and bla bla bla) and has you repeat that with several other tasks, most of which definitely have animations for.

On its own it's a small whatever thing, but when they have paper thin characters who aren't very interesting and spend most of the game nagging or repeating annoying quips, and this moment is like the facsimile of a "squad come together moment" but falls flat on its face because the dead eyed NPCs are so hollow and artificial.

I haven't followed the main quest, but in the course of bouncing around finding points of interest, I came across a ranch where a guy had a couple of alien herbivores penned in his yard.

Ground combat is pretty much just Fallout 4 but with jump packs. It's not innovative, but it works fine.

I was pleasantly surprised the first time I got into a zero-g shootout and enemy AI was able to effectively maneuver around the environment in their space suits to engage me.

While the game mostly seems pretty straightforward and serious, I came across some major Fallout-esque weirdness in the form of - sidequest spoilers ahead - a colony of clones made from the DNA of famous humans from throughout history, trapped in an endless cycle of death and being cloned anew, and overseen by a sinister clone factory that keeps them restricted to their colony on pain of death until they prove themselves ready to take to the stars.

There's an uneasy truce between three factions, led by clones of Queen Amanirenas, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, and Genghis Khan. Right up until the player shows up with a ship.

After getting involved in their weird poo poo, I walked away with clone Amelia Earhart as my new ship pilot/adventuring companion.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

It makes sense that its kinda boring. Elder Scrolls was thought up by some guy like 30 years ago who doesn't work there anymore and Fallout was bought from a better developer. I guess that modern bethesda just doesn't have the talent really think up a decent setting by themselves.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Todd Howard needs to do some DMT or something and get some freaky ideas since next game will probably be his last so hopefully he tries to go out strong but I'd eager he wants to go all in on the procgen and try to make next elder scrolls fully free of pesky hard coded interactions to with too many tricksy variables and flags just to tell an interesting story in a satisfying way.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Any game that prides itself on being super NASA accurate but which doesn't let you slow travel to planets because they are just skybox jpegs:

-is not actually NASA accurate
-does, in fact, sound super dumb
-might be worse than notoriously dumb and bad game no man's sky

What does this even mean in a game where I'm pretty sure 90% of it is running around shooting dudes.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Starfield only showcases the latest in NASA assault rifles when you're out NASA murdering dudes

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Real scathing critique of the term NASA punk there dudes.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I landed on a moon and defeated asteroids while all along hearing GORF telling me I'm a space cadet.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Vic posted:

Real scathing critique of the term NASA punk there dudes.

If it were really NASA punk, you would have a big history of doing cool stuff, followed by decades of your bosses promising you'll do more cool things while stripping all the funding away to the point where you're excited about someone else working with you to send your guys to the moon on their stuff.

Oh, and those bosses gave your cool old stuff to a different town, completely unaffiliated with space, halfway across the country.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
India has finished with Irem's Moon Patrol.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Arc Light posted:

I haven't followed the main quest, but in the course of bouncing around finding points of interest, I came across a ranch where a guy had a couple of alien herbivores penned in his yard.

Ground combat is pretty much just Fallout 4 but with jump packs. It's not innovative, but it works fine.

I was pleasantly surprised the first time I got into a zero-g shootout and enemy AI was able to effectively maneuver around the environment in their space suits to engage me.

While the game mostly seems pretty straightforward and serious, I came across some major Fallout-esque weirdness in the form of - sidequest spoilers ahead - a colony of clones made from the DNA of famous humans from throughout history, trapped in an endless cycle of death and being cloned anew, and overseen by a sinister clone factory that keeps them restricted to their colony on pain of death until they prove themselves ready to take to the stars.

There's an uneasy truce between three factions, led by clones of Queen Amanirenas, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, and Genghis Khan. Right up until the player shows up with a ship.

After getting involved in their weird poo poo, I walked away with clone Amelia Earhart as my new ship pilot/adventuring companion.

red dwarf meltdown

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Beartaco posted:

What does this even mean in a game where I'm pretty sure 90% of it is running around shooting dudes.

Medal of NASA

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
It doesn't even look anything like NASA poo poo.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Medal of NASA
Call of Duty Infinite Warfare

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Do you know how much Angry Video Nerd makes? Should the producer of the content get at least 50%?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuGehChGjw0

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I don't believe that anyone has seen a AVGN video since 2005

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
What's the bullet notes on this Kieran editor guy cause I ain't watching a rambling 40 minute video when it could be summed up in one paragraph at most.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Zeluth posted:

Do you know how much Angry Video Nerd makes? Should the producer of the content get at least 50%?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuGehChGjw0

Cool video tried clicking around they're talking about getting fired at Dunkin donuts or some poo poo wh y.did you do this

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Beartaco posted:

It's just their chosen aesthetic. Obviously you're not going to be running experiments and going over checklists 16 hour a day 7 days a week, you just wear white spacesuits and walk around ships with a switch for every last thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

I don't believe that anyone has seen a AVGN video since 2005

I can't believe anyone actually sat through the AVGN movie. I think I made it about 5 minutes in and turned it off. The movie actually opens with footage of random dorks talking about how much they like the nerd character.