Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Max movement mods in a coverless map like this will be the key. Only two of the OpFor have Gunnery 4 and they also happen to have the best long-range guns in the bunch.

E: Turn 0 post in the previous page!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Oh that's such a lovely detail in the writeup, of course Magos has a lot of sim pod experience, makes sense that she'd do the setup.

And as usual the opfor moods & objectives are lovely. A lot of variance in how scary they are, but with so many 5/5s & 5/6s we should have a pretty good edge.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Seems like they have a few shitmechs that have to close with us across the mud, do you guys think a good plan would be to let them come to us? We can shelter from the long range weapons behind the hillocks and try to pick them off as they come across

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Are the SHD and GLD just close enough to all our run forward and ping the COM for 10s?

A hail Mary play, but if even one hits the COM it will have to think twice about joining the rush should all of them decide to swarm.

The cautious choice is take cover and see if any Aces are on the field. You could either all pull left for space to run, or go right for tighter LOS cover.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Amechwarrior posted:

The cautious choice is take cover and see if any Aces are on the field. You could either all pull left for space to run, or go right for tighter LOS cover.

I can confirm that there are no Aces in play this time around. An Ace will be denoted by having the 'Tactical Genius' SPA, and a little 'Ace' label by its sprite.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Those objectives are just :discourse:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Mood: Uncertain
Objective: Not Sure

:same: buddy.

e: As the only one without jump jets, I'm going to head up the middle of the map. Nice and flat, with plenty of height-2 terrain around that'll keep me out of sight from a distance. Thinking of turning and moving to 1221.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 6, 2023

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

What does the mud do exactly?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Space Kablooey posted:

What does the mud do exactly?

Mud hexes require 1 extra MP to enter. Entering a mud hex also forces a piloting roll, and a failure causes the unit to become bogged down, forcibly ending its movement for the rest of the turn and giving any unit that tries to shoot at it a -2 accuracy bonus. The following turn, the unit must make another piloting test to break free. Failing the roll means it stays stuck for another turn. Rinse and repeat until the unit finally frees itself.

Mud is basically a less punishing version of Swamp. Swamp hexes do all of the above, with greater penalties and the chance that the mech will sink into it and be destroyed.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
At least this map has these nice high points to sit and snipe from, perfect for our SHD-2K.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Despite making fun of these guys, they actually have a pretty decent Lance +2 all things considered. With the exception of the Sentinel and the Hornet all of their mechs are capable of dealing 20+ damage assuming all their attacks hit.

You guys might want to try luring the close-range fighters into the mud and seeing if they get stuck, or at least trying to take out the Commando and Hunchback before they get in close. A Commando that can shoot 20 damage worth of missiles in a turn is pretty scary for such a little guy.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Gunnery 5 is a HUUUUUGE handicap though. It means that generally, at best they're going to be hitting on 7s if they're at short range shooting something with no move mod. Since neither of those things are likely to be true, most often it'll be more like 9s+, so they're going to be staring down 25% ish chances to hit for most shots. The further up the 2d6 curve you go, the more harsh the penalty is.

So staying mobile and keeping to at least medium range will almost entirely neuter their damage output, while you'll generally be able to shoot back with 20%+ better chances to hit. Also get ready to lol at failed PSRs.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
That mud definitely seems like a Newbie Trap to teach rookie mechwarriors that there's more to piloting a giant robot than just trundle forward and shoot

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

Gunnery 5 is a HUUUUUGE handicap though. It means that generally, at best they're going to be hitting on 7s if they're at short range shooting something with no move mod. Since neither of those things are likely to be true, most often it'll be more like 9s+, so they're going to be staring down 25% ish chances to hit for most shots. The further up the 2d6 curve you go, the more harsh the penalty is.

So staying mobile and keeping to at least medium range will almost entirely neuter their damage output, while you'll generally be able to shoot back with 20%+ better chances to hit. Also get ready to lol at failed PSRs.

Yep, exactly. This was what I was alluding to with my earlier post.

With this much open space, it should be relatively simple for Goonlance to maintain a +2 move mod which gives those Gunnery 5 guys 8+ to hit to start off since they wouldn't be dumb enough to stand still in this coverless map. Add to that the OpFor's general lack of weapons with reach and you're looking at a lot of misses on their side.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Mech mudwrestling this Sunday in the simulator!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I have a request for the s&s pilots and it's to focus down Decimis first

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Space Kablooey posted:

I have a request for the s&s pilots and it's to focus down Decimis first

I second this request. Please destroy him and his smug prick face.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Nah, leave him for last as his troops get cut down around him and he can't do a drat thing about it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Nah, leave him for last as his troops get cut down around him and he can't do a drat thing about it.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Secondary objective added: Humiliate Etienne Decimis (100,000 C-Bill reward)

Methods of humiliation include:

-Causing him to fall into / get stuck in a Mud hex.
-Pushing him off an elevated hex.
-Kicking his mech while it's down.
-Picking up a cactus and hitting him with it. (To do this, you need to be in a Light Woods (cactus) hex and have a mech with two functional hands. You can't shoot or perform melee attacks while uprooting, but afterwards you can carry the cactus around without penalties until the time comes to use it.)
-Completely ignore him until he's the last mech standing.
-Anything else I personally find amusing.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Scintilla posted:

-Picking up a cactus and hitting him with it. (To do this, you need to be in a Light Woods (cactus) hex and have a mech with two functional hands. You can't shoot or perform melee attacks while uprooting, but afterwards you can carry the cactus around without penalties until the time comes to use it.)

:sickos:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Can a mech squat over a fallen mech? Asking for totally unrelated reasons.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Putting a cheevo in front of Goonlance?

:getin:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I’m highly entertained already and that’s before a shot is even fired. Time this fresh meat got roasted.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Scintilla posted:

:patriot:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Scintilla posted:

That sounds like a call for Death from Above!

Anyway, my suggestion to goonlance is: try to pick off something weak and fragile with concentrated fire to immediately put the action economy in your favor. That probably means focusing on the Commando because it's a walking bomb and a decent threat, or the Hornet which isn't a threat but may have some trouble maintaining its move mods.

If the Sentinel or Commando ever touch a mud hex they should be your highest priority target; and I'd personally probably focus on the Sentinel. It doesn't have much more armor than a light 'Mech, but it's still got a 40 tonner's internal structure so it can take more of a beating than you'd think.

Then, between the Griffin, Wolverine, and Hunchback the Hunchback is the most vulnerable to incoming fire due to its slow speed. It may decide to juggernaut at you and just charge straight in. If it does, its your top priority target.

Unfortunately, the HBK-4H Hunchback fixes the HBK-4G's biggest flaw: its left torso is stuffed full of heat sinks so it's hard to crit the two tons of ammo there. I'd say it's actually more dangerous in the hands of a trainee than an HBK-4G would've been because it's harder to get a lucky elimination on.

Edit: The Wolverine and Griffin are both comparatively low-damage skirmishers. The Griffin may be tempted to bunker down somewhere to try sniping, if it does you can probably just position yourselves to deny it shots the whole match while you pick off everything else.

Imagine how humiliated their team leader High Speed Low Drag Spec-Ops Sniper will be if he doesn't even get to shoot his PPC until everyone else is dead? :haw:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 6, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Imo the mud is the key, they have quantity but we have quality, so we should leave them to try crossing towards us and just saturate whatever gets through first/gets stuck first

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Scintilla posted:

.... hand held weapons with the fluid gun, but its just paint/obscurant ammo.

maybe an oil slick for maximum scoobydoo

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Regarding fluid guns I'm still sad that the Rasalhague freedom fighter on Ikuta Glacier didn't manage to hit with her fluid guns.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I'm so used to looking at the Sentinel and saying "lol, lmao" but this one has, like, a not-unreasonable weapons payload. What a weird feeling.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

aniviron posted:

I'm so used to looking at the Sentinel and saying "lol, lmao" but this one has, like, a not-unreasonable weapons payload. What a weird feeling.

Unsurprisingly, it's a field refit. There's another one that swaps the AC/5 for a PPC.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

SIGSEGV posted:

Regarding fluid guns I'm still sad that the Rasalhague freedom fighter on Ikuta Glacier didn't manage to hit with her fluid guns.

Looks like you're in luck then!

quote:

Ikuta Glacier: Tactical Update 8

Grand Dragon “Yuki-Onna” (Player)
- Fires Fluid Gun (Water) at Locust IIC (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 7): rolled 7, hit! Target MP reduced!
- Fires Fluid Gun (Water) at Locust IIC (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 7): rolled 10, hit! Target MP halved!
- Fires Fluid Gun (Water) at Locust IIC (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 7): rolled 7, hit! Target immobilized!
- Fires ER PPC (Clan) at Locust IIC (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 7): rolled 9, hit Left Leg (0/10 armor, 1/6 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Gains 20 heat, sinks 28!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

SIGSEGV posted:

https://lparchive.org/Battletech/Update%20619/

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
So, what do you reckon? Me (the Shadow Hawk) and the Gladiator wheel towards the left of the map, and I hop onto one of the mesas and provide long-range fire with my PPC and LRMs, while he runs interference? And the rest of the lance wheels right and starts taking out the enemies there?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

painedforever posted:

So, what do you reckon? Me (the Shadow Hawk) and the Gladiator wheel towards the left of the map, and I hop onto one of the mesas and provide long-range fire with my PPC and LRMs, while he runs interference? And the rest of the lance wheels right and starts taking out the enemies there?

Standing on a mesa would expose you to all their long range weapons at once and you won't have any movement modifier, idk

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Orders submitted. Moving to 1221, it keeps me out of line of sight of their long-range guns and also puts me in position to tuck behind the hill in 1316 next turn. With no jump jets and only short-range weapons I'd prefer to avoid being shot at until I can shoot back.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Ardlen posted:

Looks like you're in luck then!

Oh I forgot about those, those are good hits, talk about an ammunition using weapon for extended guerilla campaigns.

Does take some specific terrain though.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

SIGSEGV posted:

Oh I forgot about those, those are good hits, talk about an ammunition using weapon for extended guerilla campaigns.

Does take some specific terrain though.

Fluid Guns can carry more than just water, they can also spray oil (creates floor hazards that force skid checks and can be lit on fire), corrosive acid (damage over time) or even Inferno fuel (:supaburn:)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm going to put my wolverine at 2119 and face to the northwest, hopefully I can get an enfilading shot at anyone deciding to charge up the middle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Bloody Pom posted:

Fluid Guns can carry more than just water, they can also spray oil (creates floor hazards that force skid checks and can be lit on fire), corrosive acid (damage over time) or even Inferno fuel (:supaburn:)

Oh yeah but to reload with plain old commonplace water and have that sort of effect, it takes some very specific conditions.