Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Trent
Sep 3, 2023

banned from Starbucks posted:

He just wanted a hug but accidentally scared Dallas to death.

That's why there was no blood found at the scene of the crime, the two just embraced and went on their merry way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Fil5000 posted:

I always think the jazz hands alien in the vents is the silliest bit.

100% same. I totally get how that would have been incredibly shocking on first viewing, but yeah every time I rewatch it all I see are the jazz hands.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the jazz hands are good, actually

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I mean the xeno in general is an element of Alien that can lose some of it's impact as you watch the movie again and again over the course of several decades like most of us have. It's unavoidable that you start to see the seams when you rewatch the movie a bunch of times, they clearly knew they had an excellent creature design that just didn't move all that well and Ridley goes to great lengths to avoid showing the full frame xeno in motion as much as possible. It was called Jaws in Space for good reason.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Basebf555 posted:

I mean the xeno in general is an element of Alien that can lose some of it's impact as you watch the movie again and again over the course of several decades like most of us have. It's unavoidable that you start to see the seams when you rewatch the movie a bunch of times, they clearly knew they had an excellent creature design that just didn't move all that well and Ridley goes to great lengths to avoid showing the full frame xeno in motion as much as possible. It was called Jaws in Space for good reason.

Yeah the Alien is a lot like Godzilla where you had something that was very original and shocking but has lost those qualities because it became such a pop culture fixture.

Which means we need a Shin Alien.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It’s an eternal classic that bears repeated viewings, and I will not hear otherwise!

For content, I’ll add that one of my favorite things about it is that it really hammers home how these people are basically long-haulers, space truckers.

They know how to run and maintain the ship and navigate etc., but they are in no way prepared from what is about to happen to them.

I think that’s what got me the most, seeing it as a kid. These were just normal adults, like any other adults I knew. Not soldiers or comic-book superheroes, just ordinary folks.

And thinking of it this way, imagining yourself in that situation, makes it all the more horrific.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

We’ll never get to experience a 79 level surprise at the Xeno now it’s a pop culture fixture. Shame, but that’s how time works I guess.

Also congrats on meeting Biehn, that’s cool man

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

MrMojok posted:

It’s an eternal classic that bears repeated viewings, and I will not hear otherwise!

For content, I’ll add that one of my favorite things about it is that it really hammers home how these people are basically long-haulers, space truckers.

They know how to run and maintain the ship and navigate etc., but they are in no way prepared from what is about to happen to them.

I think that’s what got me the most, seeing it as a kid. These were just normal adults, like any other adults I knew. Not soldiers or comic-book superheroes, just ordinary folks.

And thinking of it this way, imagining yourself in that situation, makes it all the more horrific.

I also really like that no one does anything stupid at any point just so the movie can happen. I mean you could argue Kane sticking his face in the alien egg I guess, but that aside, what everyone does makes 100% sense in the situation they're in.

Trent
Sep 3, 2023

Fil5000 posted:

I also really like that no one does anything stupid at any point just so the movie can happen. I mean you could argue Kane sticking his face in the alien egg I guess, but that aside, what everyone does makes 100% sense in the situation they're in.

That's a good point, though Parker and Lambert throwing the metal coolant containers half-hazardly across the room making as much noise as humanely possible always struck me as dumb, but still within the realm of believability given their emotional distress.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

In the 'I admire the care they paid to detail' file somebody pointed it out already, probably multiple someones, but I love how involved the procedure to set the Nostromo's self-destruct was. Absolutely not something you can do by accident.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Trent
Sep 3, 2023

Dawgstar posted:

In the 'I admire the care they paid to detail' file somebody pointed it out already, probably multiple someones, but I love how involved the procedure to set the Nostromo's self-destruct was. Absolutely not something you can do by accident.

Right, but to expand on that, Sigourney's acting throughout the entire film is remarkable, but that specific scene, I always marveled at how talented she was. The facial expressions and everything. Acting is just being really, really, good at lying through body language.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Dawgstar posted:

In Alien Isolation you have to do basically the exact same procedure to disconnect the Torrens from Sevastopol's docking umbilical, right at the climax of the game. You're outside in a space suit and you nearly get swarmed by literal dozens of xenos right before you push the final button. It's kind of silly that they just ripped the thing from the movie and turned it into something else, but it's very fun going through the exact same motions as Ripley.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

In Alien Isolation you have to do basically the exact same procedure to disconnect the Torrens from Sevastopol's docking umbilical, right at the climax of the game. You're outside in a space suit and you nearly get swarmed by literal dozens of xenos right before you push the final button. It's kind of silly that they just ripped the thing from the movie and turned it into something else, but it's very fun going through the exact same motions as Ripley.

That bit is great because they come at you real time over the station and you can easily miss them at first because you're paying attention to the self destruct device. I was watching a let's play and spotted something out the corner of my eye and went "hang on" and rewound it to see a shape skittering over part of the ducting.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

That bit is great because they come at you real time over the station and you can easily miss them at first because you're paying attention to the self destruct device. I was watching a let's play and spotted something out the corner of my eye and went "hang on" and rewound it to see a shape skittering over part of the ducting.

I just stopped and looked when I saw what was being referred to, haha.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Alien Isolation is so loving great.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BiggerBoat posted:

Alien Isolation is so loving great.

I've seen some people complain that it devolves into a lot of shotguns and flamethrowers at the end but I think it's earned the catharsis, plus you still feel like you're getting jump scared every ten feet by an errant Facehugger in the hive.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

I've seen some people complain that it devolves into a lot of shotguns and flamethrowers at the end but I think it's earned the catharsis, plus you still feel like you're getting jump scared every ten feet by an errant Facehugger in the hive.

My issue was when I figured out the A.I. was bullshit, but it took way longer than normal for that. It scared me longer than any other horror game.

By mid game, I was just running around though. Partially because Medical was so hard and forced you to figure out how the Alien worked.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The hive was easily the most stressed I've ever been playing a video game. By that time in the game you're fully in it and it's still absolutely bone-chilling when you get down there and all the generators you have to turn on are so loving loud, it's perfect. There are obviously other moments like when that rear end in a top hat locks you into that modular laboratory with the alien and disconnects it from the station, or right near the end in the residences, where an extremely-on-alert xenomorph is just on you all the time. But the hive is the best. The voice acting (and music) absolutely sells it; Andrea Deck played an excellent Ripley.

I might have mentioned it before but for some reason I can't bring myself to play Isolation again. Would be my fourth playthrough I think, but in the past few months when I've tried, I just feel the fear more intensely than before and can't make it through even my favourite levels. Maybe I'll just watch a let's play, I really want to experience the game again.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Darko posted:

My issue was when I figured out the A.I. was bullshit, but it took way longer than normal for that. It scared me longer than any other horror game.

By mid game, I was just running around though. Partially because Medical was so hard and forced you to figure out how the Alien worked.

Yeah, clearly I remember you posting videos of you running around, in the game’s thread back in 2014.

It was like sorcery to me, that you could get away with some of the things you were doing.

I was still at the “utterly petrified and hiding in lockers in medical” stage at the time.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The game kinda gets jank towards the end where you end up into another hive and then it kinda limps toward the finale whcih ends on a cliff hanger.

Everything up until that moment is gold though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CelticPredator posted:

The game kinda gets jank towards the end where you end up into another hive and then it kinda limps toward the finale whcih ends on a cliff hanger.

Also while Blackout is fine I will still never forgive them for concluding her story via a mobile game.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

MrMojok posted:

Yeah, clearly I remember you posting videos of you running around, in the game’s thread back in 2014.

It was like sorcery to me, that you could get away with some of the things you were doing.

I was still at the “utterly petrified and hiding in lockers in medical” stage at the time.

It took me forever to see what was behind the curtain, but once I did, yeah, it just clicked. I never play games the way "I'm supposed to" so I got punished HARD in medical which made me figure out what was going on. Fun times.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I unapologetically played Isolation on tourist mode for the visuals (I get frustrated replaying sections, so me and instadeath sneaking games don’t get along that well) but the hive was still hard as hell. I had one save where I needed to get past one scripted facehugger plus the big guy and I died like 30 loving times since I was so low on flamethrower ammo. I ended up chucking a pipebomb straight at the facehugger and tanking the damage so I would have enough flamer ammo to get the xeno out of my face.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Oh yeah, being low on stuff really adds to the stress. I just remembered that I completely overlooked the medkit schematics in like the first level so I was playing on bingo health until it just got impossible. So I looked it up and backtracked through like half the game to grab it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

A:I is the GOAT, gently caress what a great game.

Shame CA is stuck making RTS poo poo or whatever they're wasting their time on.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah it tries to do Alien with the final act of Aliens, which combined with the fact that gameplay wise the game runs out of new things to show you in the last hour means it doesn't land the ending in a disappointing way.

And because of the weird development saga (the studio that makes total war just hired a team, then let them go afterwards?) it'll likely forever sit there as a rare AAA quality horror survival game

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It’s a game that came out in late 2014 that still looks awesome today.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

sigher posted:

A:I is the GOAT, gently caress what a great game.

Shame CA is stuck making RTS poo poo or whatever they're wasting their time on.

There have been rumors (emphasis: rumors) that they might be working on a follow-up.

Trent
Sep 3, 2023

MrMojok posted:

It’s a game that came out in late 2014 that still looks awesome today.

People say things like this often and I really don't buy into the hype. Computer graphics have more or less gotten as good as they need to be over a decade ago, this isn't the early 2000s anymore where we're jumping from PS1 to PS2 era graphics in just a couple years.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
People talking about the Jazz hands and I'm still thinking that goddamn movement it makes like it's floating forwards for a hug with Lambert looks goofy to me.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SirDrone posted:

People talking about the Jazz hands and I'm still thinking that goddamn movement it makes like it's floating forwards for a hug with Lambert looks goofy to me.

Better than the (thankfully deleted) take where it crab-walks towards her.

https://youtu.be/eR5jYeIMBKk?si=Y7CtcbINMKB4m-wc

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

lol

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

You one hundred percent could make that creepy but you'd need like a contortionist who could do something weird with their limbs instead of just shuffling along.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I gotta bring it up each time someone mentions Alien: Isolation. That game, in addition to being one of the best I've ever played in any genre, was also the best use of the Kinect I've ever personally experienced.

The camera watched you at all times and modified Amanda's body posture based upon yours. So all of your unconscious leaning, cringing, peeking, recoiling, etc. was reflected in the game and had a noticeable effect on the hiding portion of gameplay. The mic was also listening, so if you were making too much noise on your couch (food noises, gas, even breathing too hard or muttering to yourself) the Alien could hear you. Unless it was a noisy area, obviously.

It... didn't really tell you any of this, but you could guess if you were messing around in the game setting options, or just noticed that Amanda was shifting posture based upon your body's movement.

Load times on an Xbox One were abysmal, though. Otherwise... the experience was incredibly immersive.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I gotta bring it up each time someone mentions Alien: Isolation. That game, in addition to being one of the best I've ever played in any genre, was also the best use of the Kinect I've ever personally experienced.

The camera watched you at all times and modified Amanda's body posture based upon yours. So all of your unconscious leaning, cringing, peeking, recoiling, etc. was reflected in the game and had a noticeable effect on the hiding portion of gameplay. The mic was also listening, so if you were making too much noise on your couch (food noises, gas, even breathing too hard or muttering to yourself) the Alien could hear you. Unless it was a noisy area, obviously.

It... didn't really tell you any of this, but you could guess if you were messing around in the game setting options, or just noticed that Amanda was shifting posture based upon your body's movement.

Load times on an Xbox One were abysmal, though. Otherwise... the experience was incredibly immersive.

I had absolutely no idea this was a thing, you'd think there finally being one Actually Good game for the Kinect would have been bigger news.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

You one hundred percent could make that creepy but you'd need like a contortionist who could do something weird with their limbs instead of just shuffling along.

Reminds me of breakdancing dr zaius

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

This is incredible.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

I had absolutely no idea this was a thing, you'd think there finally being one Actually Good game for the Kinect would have been bigger news.

I think for the vast majority of players this was pretty much just hidden increase in difficulty. It's very very cool, but I guarantee that most players unplugged the Kinect once they realised that they got yanked out of a locker and headbitten because they yelled "gently caress!" when the alien stalked past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
The lack of funny YT vids of this happening is disappointing.