Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Can someone change my username to "ket and other drug"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

dr_rat posted:

Is the burning man rising as well?

You know, with the fire that it's on and all?

he's hot and bothered

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Poohs Packin posted:

Can someone change my username to "ket and other drug"

Ket and mesc……..ON THE PLAYA!!!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

THEY EXPECT ONE OF US IN THE MUD BROTHER

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Farten Barfen posted:

What portion of the people that showed up were tourists that bought their way in vs the cool non-org people

Weed Wolf posted:

54% of burning man attendees in 2022 made over 75k a year.
40% in 2022 made over 100k a year

naem
May 29, 2011

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Dirty D’s
DONE DIRT CHEAP

Jelly posted:

Dirty D's and the dung in my jeep

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

Dick Fontaine posted:

oh yeah, ya’ll can stop speculating about burning man stuff and just ask me about it if you want. i’m real close to the founders and go all of the time because they just let me in whenever i show up

please note that this is very different from being close to the org (who suck mountains of donkey poo poo)

ok, what is their reaction to the demographics clearly changing (see the chart that i posted, sourced from the burning man census) towards people making 100k/300k+ a year. are there any plans to address that

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
yes they will raise ticket prices that way the rich will be punished more

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

If you're pissed off because rich people are going to Burning Man, I have bad new for you about literally every festival in existence...

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I'm mostly pissed that I am not rich!!

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Weed Wolf posted:

ok, what is their reaction to the demographics clearly changing (see the chart that i posted, sourced from the burning man census) towards people making 100k/300k+ a year. are there any plans to address that

They should burn the rich men

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Weed Wolf posted:

i’m sure the org has a plan, but i’m also sure it’s a bad plan that will only make things worse. climate change is really the only hope at this point. that, or the whole thing finally cracking under the weight of the org’s hubris

one thing you might want to reconsider about those numbers though is where people are coming from. the vast bulk of burners are from the sf bay area where a 100k salary does not mean you’re necessarily rich—especially if you’re paying rent

a whole lot of that group have been living in sf since well before gentrification and are struggling with it now

still though, your core point is entirely correct, and gently caress the high end of the scale entirely

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

kntfkr posted:

I'm okay with it.

Kinda miffed I'm not rich tho

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

kntfkr posted:

Just win the lottery!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Outrail posted:

I'm okay with it.

Kinda miffed I'm not rich tho

Do you realize what we make monthly trekking to Callisto??

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

redshirt posted:

Do you realize what we make monthly trekking to Callisto??

You're getting paid?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Outrail posted:

You're getting paid?

4K a month

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Dick Fontaine posted:

oh yeah, ya’ll can stop speculating about burning man stuff and just ask me about it if you want. i’m real close to the founders and go all of the time because they just let me in whenever i show up

please note that this is very different from being close to the org (who suck mountains of donkey poo poo)

How many RVs, rental cars, trailers and tents did you leave abandoned in the desert this year Dick

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Everything is dry now! It has been dry all day. Sorry people hoping for our death.

We’re not hoping for your death. Quite on the contrary, we wish you the best of health and want to remind you to stay hydrated and well fed and also that it’s probably not too late to eat that nestle guy with the vaporwave beanie.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Internet Old One posted:

that it’s probably not too late to eat that nestle guy with the vaporwave beanie.

Neal Katyal was one of the first people to run away screaming when the rain fell

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

bagmonkey posted:

How many RVs, rental cars, trailers and tents did you leave abandoned in the desert this year Dick

dude he's Dirty D

look at the evidence IT ALL LINES UP

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Imagine running a towing company

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Hand the whole event over to Dirty D imo. What's the worst that could happen?

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

It’s sort of weird to imagine this guy being part of the group that inspired fight club. Much like the movie itself being a corporate bankrolled blockbuster featuring Brad Pitt’s abs while commenting on images of masculinity in the media.

Theyre pretty old now but I have to wonder if they used to take their cash and do a secret burning man without all the squares.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

MrQwerty posted:

Neal Katyal was one of the first people to run away screaming when the rain fell

Propeller hat spinning in the wind as he races off

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sophy Wackles posted:

Hand the whole event over to Dirty D imo. What's the worst that could happen?

Mud.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Muddy D

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
If they had just burnt the mud rather than the man they could of all fled days ago.

Makes you think. Think about burning mud.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
In hindsight, holding Burning Man during Nevada's hurricane season wasn't a great idea.

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

:mods:

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

bagmonkey posted:

just the usual. here’s a tesla. motherfuckers couldn’t even get the doors to shut

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I saw a thing that the guy who died at burning man died from drug intoxication like lol yeah dude it's burning man what did you think happened?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Dick Fontaine posted:

just the usual. here’s a tesla. motherfuckers couldn’t even get the doors to shut

So many cones

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I have seen appeals for how Burning Man isn't just all the rich bros, there's a lot of cool artists and a lot of hardworking people who make it happen aaaand

And that may be so, but as someone who has been a part of a few art festivals run by non-profits and bailed when they got lovely - just the fact that people are 'doing the work' doesn't become self-justifying, sometimes good efforts get co-opted by the rich and powerful and there's no working hard and taking them back, there's just moving on and making a new thing that hopefully the rich assholes take longer to figure out exists.

I honestly am not going to spare many sad thoughts for the people who are now helping the bloated system keep going. I will simply pray they figure out they need to escape before it eats them.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 6, 2023

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

redshirt posted:

So many cones

That's explosion protection

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dick Fontaine posted:

Lol

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Dick Fontaine posted:

Factory fit and finish, really

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That car doesn’t even look stuck, bet it was a Tesla failure unrelated to the weather

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Can't wait until Fyre Festival 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I have seen appeals for how Burning Man isn't just all the rich bros, there's a lot of cool artists and a lot of hardworking people who make it happen aaaand

And that may be so, but as someone who has been a part of a few art festivals run by non-profits and bailed when they got lovely - just the fact that people are 'doing the work' doesn't become self-justifying, sometimes good efforts get co-opted by the rich and powerful and there's no working hard and taking them back, there's just moving on and making a new thing that hopefully the rich assholes take longer to figure out exists.

I honestly am not going to spare many sad thoughts for the people who are now helping the bloated system keep going. I will simply pray they figure out they need to escape before it eats them.

this post is spot on, but also exceedingly hilarious because the core theme of burning man is discovering joy in what you’re capable of bringing to the world and then discovering just how much of that joy you can share while still keeping enough for yourself

that still happens. it’s a big ol’ out of control machine doing that on a hyper scale now so it looks absolutely insane, but suffering until you figure out that you can easily stop that suffering yourself is an intentional experience that i would count as one of the few remaining good things about burning man

in other words, no one should feel sorry for any of these people because all of their hassles are self-inflicted