Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I always liked the short lived idea of Peter being a high school science teacher. Peter running a tech company is just a rehash of so many other heroes and doesn't really feel like it fits with his personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Being a high school teacher is probably too much responsibility for someone who needs to disappear for third period because Electro is robbing a bank, which is exactly why it feels perfect. Maybe NYC Tech Community College adjunct professor who absolutely does not keep to his office hours is more attainable?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I got it into my head a long time ago that it could have been cool to have Ben & May run some kind of appliance / general repair business that Peter was a part of and continues to be after Ben's death. Obviously it would only work in a new, adapted work and not the 616 comics where this has never been mentioned but it ticks every box I can think of for what Peter's job could be.

Horizon was really a great job for Peter because it meets a lot of criteria but for the audience the main problem was that it presented him with all the time & resources to make a more advanced Spider-Man that we never get. We only get it in special, temporary, toyetic alternate suits. Nothing new to add to the mythos to be permanently part of his repertoire. He made webshooters and tracers when he had nothing but after being in a super fancy applied science job he doesn't have anything to show for it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

I always liked the short lived idea of Peter being a high school science teacher. Peter running a tech company is just a rehash of so many other heroes and doesn't really feel like it fits with his personality.

I like the broad concept, but high school teacher is completely incompatible with the Spider-man lifestyle. And more harmful when Pete has to abandon students in need because Ultron is turning the Statue of Liberty into a giant robot. In terms of personality, I don't think he can do anything consistently except be Spider-man.

Thinking about what he could do for a living, he's young enough that being Spider-influencer would be seriously on his radar. That would be weird.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hear me out, what if you combine them. Make Peter a teacher at a specialized school. Like perhaps one for mutants. It gives him a day job that allows him to teach and mentor others but leaves him open for superheroics. And he absolutely won't get any of his students killed.

Random Stranger posted:

Thinking about what he could do for a living, he's young enough that being Spider-influencer would be seriously on his radar. That would be weird.

Both the PS4 game and Spider-verse both have him (and later Miles) doing Youtube/twitter stuff.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ImpAtom posted:

Hear me out, what if you combine them. Make Peter a teacher at a specialized school. Like perhaps one for mutants. It gives him a day job that allows him to teach and mentor others but leaves him open for superheroics. And he absolutely won't get any of his students killed.

Both the PS4 game and Spider-verse both have him (and later Miles) doing Youtube/twitter stuff.

That was the Spider-Man and the X-Men comic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Air Skwirl posted:

That was the Spider-Man and the X-Men comic.

That is the joke.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I'm becoming an old enough nerd that the sliding time scale is making me feel weird. All of the Marvel heroes who did not fight in World War II showed up after YouTube became huge, for example. Obama was running for re-election when Reed Richards stole a spaceship. Peter Parker could have been bitten by a radioactive spider on the same day that the first post in this thread was made.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Random Stranger posted:

No doubt he would consider it but that's more of how Spider-Man could make money, not Peter. Unless you mean Peter would be the content creator and pretend to be some kind of Spider-Man insider or fan.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

No doubt he would consider it but that's more of how Spider-Man could make money, not Peter. Unless you mean Peter would be the content creator and pretend to be some kind of Spider-Man insider or fan.

... I mean when you phrase it that way, isn't that basically what Peter did with photos?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Lobok posted:

Peter gets a pass because supposedly the hit was a misinterpretation by the artist and because Peter hit MJ during the time he was extra lovely from Marvel trying to make Ben the new, real Spider-Man. Obviously they reversed course on that and then Marvel later went into Ignore mode for the Clone Saga overall so there was no one willing to revisit The Definitely Real, Definitely Better Spider-Man at his worst point.
I think you may be mixing up stories, according to Jim Shooter:

Jim Shooter posted:

In that story (issue 213, I think), there is a scene in which Hank is supposed to have accidentally struck Jan while throwing his hands up in despair and frustration—making a sort of “get away from me” gesture while not looking at her. Bob Hall, who had been taught by John Buscema to always go for the most extreme action, turned that into a right cross! There was no time to have it redrawn, which, to this day has caused the tragic story of Hank Pym to be known as the “wife-beater” story.

Peter Parker's story is that he was fighting with Ben Reilly when Mary Jane tries to step between them, at which point Peter shoves her aside so hard she goes flying across the room and into/partially through a wall. This is presumably not an art error since that issue and subsequent issues discuss how the shove could have killed her, how it could have made her miscarry, how people forget how STRONG Spider-Man is and how easily he could kill people.

Which is relevant just a few issues later when Peter is tricked into thinking he is a clone, and is convinced he's being controlled by some sort of clone drug/clone hypnosis suggestion that he must kill his wife so there are two issues of him running around the city hunting her down and trying to kill her while Ben Reilly and the New Warriors try to stop him. He also lays hands on her during this story of him trying to murder his wife. He is eventually deprogrammed, and this leads directly into Peter retiring as Spider-Man and going off to start a family with MJ, even if he was a clone all of this time and full of weird triggers that might lead him to snap and try to kill his wife.

Of course, less than a year later it turns out Peter wasn't a clone after all and he's back as the One True Spider-Man and the whole thing where he tried to hunt and kill his wife was [???] uhhh non-clone madness?

Also the real culprit for the Hank Pym reputation thing is The Ultimates; Hank's arc across the 1980s and 1990s was that he fell from grace, got kicked off the Avengers, got thrown in jail, got exonerated (for some stuff), retired from being a hero, was this close to committing suicide, but pulled back from the brink and spent like 15 years (publication time) slowly rebuilding and repairing both his relationships and his mental health and accepting the fact that he is never going to be the strongest superhero or smartest superscientist.

Then Mark Millar decided to make his only characteristic in Ultimates "constant, sadistic, spousal abuse of the physical, mental, and verbal variety", and a lot more people have read the Ultimates in the 21st century than various Avengers sidebooks from 30-40 years ago, so that depiction stuck.

Cue like twenty years of funney memes and writers in the mainline MU deciding that they were gonna be the first fortieth writer to really explore what is up with Hank Pym being a wifebeater.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 6, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If you gave me one superhero book to write I would absolutely do a Hank Pym/Hank McCoy teamup book where they wake up from plot devices to discover their reputation in ruins and have fun science adventures while trying to redeem themselves.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ImpAtom posted:

If you gave me one superhero book to write I would absolutely do a Hank Pym/Hank McCoy teamup book where they wake up from plot devices to discover their reputation in ruins and have fun science adventures while trying to redeem themselves.
Somebody tried to do that with Hank Pym, actually. Really leaned into the fun science adventures and "I solve problems with ants! Isn't that goofy and neat??" of it all, and... it fell completely flat. Because the other thing about Hank Pym is that he is a diagnosed manic-depressive who refuses to actually take any medication or get treated for his disorder. So the whole thing just came off as "oh poo poo, Hank's having a manic fit" and it played unintentionally creepy.

The best Hank Pym stories are Nadia Van Dyne stories. The Unstoppable Wasp did it right; she has fun adventures but she inherited manic depression from her dad along with the genius, but unlike Hank, Nadia faces it dead on and actually struggles with the disease while seeking treatment.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

... I mean when you phrase it that way, isn't that basically what Peter did with photos?

Yeah but I was wondering if that's what you meant. The photos thing he can more or less appear dispassionate about while the YouTube thing sounds more like Flash Thompson territory.

Edge & Christian posted:

I think you may be mixing up stories, according to Jim Shooter

Similar but no. I don't know if we've ever heard from DeFalco himself on the topic so maybe everyone is just parroting someone's speculation from somewhere but it shows up in Life of Reilly, for example, from Glenn Greenberg:

quote:

Now, on to the matter of Peter "hitting" Mary Jane. We got some heat over this, and some bad publicity. But come on, it's not like Peter Parker was suddenly being presented as a wife-beater! Consider the circumstances. Peter was in a rage, his whole world had been turned upside down, and he was in the middle of a brutal fight with the man he believed had just robbed him of his life. Mary Jane was warned by Seward Trainer not to go near them, that Peter and Ben were both out of control, but she ignored Seward and tried to get in the middle of them and stop the fight. She is clearly shown grabbing Peter's arm, and in the next panel, Peter is shown flinging that arm outward, to shove her away from him so that he can continue the fight. That's how I always interpreted the scene. Peter was so angry, so on the edge, that he wasn't fully aware of what he was doing. Had he been the slightest bit rational at that moment, he surely would have taken into account the fact that he had super-strength, and that he couldn't just shove a normal human being away like that. And I know that's how Tom DeFalco intended the scene to be interpreted. Looking at the issue now, though, I'll grant that maybe some of these subtleties did not come through in the art as clearly as they should have. And that provided enough fodder for anyone who was really looking to make a big stink about the scene.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Somebody tried to do that with Hank Pym, actually. Really leaned into the fun science adventures and "I solve problems with ants! Isn't that goofy and neat??" of it all, and... it fell completely flat. Because the other thing about Hank Pym is that he is a diagnosed manic-depressive who refuses to actually take any medication or get treated for his disorder. So the whole thing just came off as "oh poo poo, Hank's having a manic fit" and it played unintentionally creepy.

The best Hank Pym stories are Nadia Van Dyne stories. The Unstoppable Wasp did it right; she has fun adventures but she inherited manic depression from her dad along with the genius, but unlike Hank, Nadia faces it dead on and actually struggles with the disease while seeking treatment.

Oh yeah, I mean if I had a choice I'd rather Nadia get the focus and her dad never show up again, but I know no old white dude can stay dead forever.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Oh yeah, I mean if I had a choice I'd rather Nadia get the focus and her dad never show up again, but I know no old white dude can stay dead forever.

I don't know, in between Hank being no one's favorite Avenger really, him having the unfortunate legacy which always gets dragged up these days, and him being very specifically an old dude in the MCU, I honestly think there's a chance that he doesn't come back. Maybe at some point down the line someone separates him from Ultron (I'm pretty sure Nadia said she was going to) but he doesn't ever go back to the hero life. Also he is older and more Michael Douglas-y

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Avengers AI handled Hank really well, but unfortunately nobody read it

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

I don't know, in between Hank being no one's favorite Avenger really, him having the unfortunate legacy which always gets dragged up these days, and him being very specifically an old dude in the MCU, I honestly think there's a chance that he doesn't come back. Maybe at some point down the line someone separates him from Ultron (I'm pretty sure Nadia said she was going to) but he doesn't ever go back to the hero life. Also he is older and more Michael Douglas-y

I guess there's maybe something you could do with him also being the father (except not really) of Tigra's kid but said kid has a much cooler new father figure in Moon Knight anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'll be honest I mostly just wanted to do a teamup of Hank and Hank so I could call it Hanks For Everything.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Dawgstar posted:

I guess there's maybe something you could do with him also being the father (except not really) of Tigra's kid but said kid has a much cooler new father figure in Moon Knight anyway.
I would read a Team Pym comic but that's mostly because the gag of Viv explaining the Pym family tree to Nadia only to hit Billy and Tommy and error out because she can't process "souls of the fake babies created by Wanda who then escaped and were reborn to completely unrelated human parents, and also time displacement comes into this somewhere because they got reborn like ten years before they were 'born' the first time" was funny as hell.

Give me Tommy, William, Nadia, and Viv teaming up with Hank as their mission control who is extremely baffled by this entire extended family he somehow has even though the only one he actually had anything to do with creating was Nadia, and he never even knew about her, and now there's like half a dozen teenagers running around all calling him Dad or Grandpa.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

ImpAtom posted:

Hanks For Nothing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

I'll be honest I mostly just wanted to do a teamup of Hank and Hank so I could call it Hanks For Everything.

Or a flashback series called Hanks for the Memories.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

And the best actor for the role? You guessed it: Chet Hanks

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Make it a MAX mini so they can get into some hanky panky.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lobok posted:

And the best actor for the role? You guessed it: Chet Hanks

Chet Hanks was on the most recent season of The Eric Andre Show and man, they really tore into him.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Chet Hanks was on the most recent season of The Eric Andre Show and man, they really tore into him.

Ain't no ting, mon

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

He was one of Ziwe's interviewees and she really... no, actually he dug his own grave on that one.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've been trying to find a short horror comic I read decades ago drawn by Jack Kirby. Plot follows 2 brothers, one is mentally disabled and his older brother is fiercely protective of him. One day older brother overhears a conversation between his parents about how "he's getting worse" and how they need to send him to a care facility. To prevent this he tricks his brother into following him into the woods where he brutally kills him.

The twist is that when he returns home, the doctors are there and take him away. Turns out the parents were terrified of the older brothers aggression and wanted him sent away before he killed someone.

Does anyone know what the gently caress I'm talking about? I swear I'm not imagining it but searching for Jack Kirkby horror comics doesn't exactly narrow it down.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Nyeehg posted:

I've been trying to find a short horror comic I read decades ago drawn by Jack Kirby. Plot follows 2 brothers, one is mentally disabled and his older brother is fiercely protective of him. One day older brother overhears a conversation between his parents about how "he's getting worse" and how they need to send him to a care facility. To prevent this he tricks his brother into following him into the woods where he brutally kills him.

The twist is that when he returns home, the doctors are there and take him away. Turns out the parents were terrified of the older brothers aggression and wanted him sent away before he killed someone.

Does anyone know what the gently caress I'm talking about? I swear I'm not imagining it but searching for Jack Kirkby horror comics doesn't exactly narrow it down.

Sounds like it’s from Black Magic #1: https://kirbymuseum.org/blogs/kirby/archives/450

Edit: or at least it is reprinted there

CopywrightMMXI fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Sep 26, 2023

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Looks like it was originally printed in Black Magic #32 in 1954. https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Black_Magic_(Prize)_Vol_1_32

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

So, it very randomly crossed my mind that those Lobo books I read a million years ago had pretty cool art so I've been looking up Val Semeiks. Turns out I'd already read his DC One Million stuff and the JLA/WildC.A.T.S. crossover. I guess he's not a fan favorite since I don't really see people talking about him, but I wanna check out what else he's done since. Has he done any other work that's particularly interesting? Also I guess he stopped doing comics a while ago, did he just retire?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Vanadium posted:

So, it very randomly crossed my mind that those Lobo books I read a million years ago had pretty cool art so I've been looking up Val Semeiks. Turns out I'd already read his DC One Million stuff and the JLA/WildC.A.T.S. crossover. I guess he's not a fan favorite since I don't really see people talking about him, but I wanna check out what else he's done since. Has he done any other work that's particularly interesting? Also I guess he stopped doing comics a while ago, did he just retire?

Besides Lobo, I mostly remember Semeiks for his work on the Alan Grant-written Demon series in the early 90s. Pretty fun stuff and worth a look.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Angry Salami posted:

Looks like it was originally printed in Black Magic #32 in 1954. https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Black_Magic_(Prize)_Vol_1_32

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Sounds like it’s from Black Magic #1: https://kirbymuseum.org/blogs/kirby/archives/450

Edit: or at least it is reprinted there

Yes!!! That's the one! Thanks for the help :v:

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
I'm trying to find a Scrooge McDuck (pretty sure Donald was in it as well) comic story, where the two end up time travelling due to a magic mirror they fall through, they get put in prison and find a guy who vanished ten years ago because the same happened to him, they escape and get home. This would probably have been released sometime in the early 80's, maybe the late 70's, because I remember reading it when I was five or so years old in the mid 80's. Tried some googling, but no story name jumped out at me.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I'm sure the answer differs across comics, cartoons, film and videogames but why did Harry Osborn attend a regular highschool with Peter rather than some rich boy school?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Starsnostars posted:

I'm sure the answer differs across comics, cartoons, film and videogames but why did Harry Osborn attend a regular highschool with Peter rather than some rich boy school?

It depends and ranges from "Osborn didn't care enough" to "Harry didn't want to" to "Osborn actually sold all of Harry's joy and happiness to the devil so Harry could never have any true happiness in his life."

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Starsnostars posted:

Originally I think it was just because it was the '60s and that wasn't done as much -- public schools didn't have the rep they'd get later and Midtown is clearly a pretty excellent school with a top-notch science department, so Norman may not have seen any need. Also I don't think Norman was as stupid rich originally as he later became when Oscorp got its reach expanded; see the first Spider-Man movie, where Norman's finances are hanging on by a thread and he's very much at the mercy of his board of directors.

These days it's usually somewhere between "Norman doesn't want Harry getting airs" and "Norman is neglectful at best".

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 23, 2023

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Starsnostars posted:

Well originally he didn't. Harry, and Gwen for that matter, are introduced when Pete starts to attend classes at ESU. It's only later adaptations that compress the continuity where you see Pete and Harry (and Gwen and MJ) attend the same high school.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

howe_sam posted:

Well originally he didn't. Harry, and Gwen for that matter, are introduced when Pete starts to attend classes at ESU. It's only later adaptations that compress the continuity where you see Pete and Harry (and Gwen and MJ) attend the same high school.
I am genuinely surprised to learn this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

I am genuinely surprised to learn this.

Pete graduated high school in like ASM #28. A lot of the stuff people imagine being the 'high school' years is him as an undergraduate