Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BobHoward posted:

I think that one might have been at least partially pilot error. Going through in slo-mo or frame by frame, you can see that the sequence of events is (1) pilot hits the switch to begin dumping gender reveal fluid, (2) as he approaches the party, pilot yanks back on the stick to begin a climb, (3) airplane rotates to a very high AoA and begins a zoom climb, (4) climb is abruptly terminated by the wing folding under overload. I think the reason the pilot entered the climb was to clear the palm trees that you see after the camera pans. The dynamic changes to weight and balance as the tanks emptied might have influenced how everything turned out (e.g. by turning a slightly aggressive control input to a far too aggressive control input).

Well that's my armchair opinion anyways. Whether or not the airframe should have been able to take that load is beyond me.

I wonder how many lives gender reveal parties have claimed at this point
I've seen people say that these aircraft suffer from corrosion and fatigue so it's was possibly that, though I have no way of determining that obviously.

Platystemon posted:

I can’t believe that the gender fluid did this.
loving woke plane virus :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mobby_6kl posted:

I've seen people say that these aircraft suffer from corrosion and fatigue so it's was possibly that, though I have no way of determining that obviously.

See, the problem is that the pilot and mechanic also had no way of determining that without using a borescope or cutting a new inspection hole.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I've seen cropdusters do that kind of thing all the time without crashing so I'm going to guess the pilot accidentally hit the "wings fall off" switch

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
in my part of the world we say the plane "clapped" when that happens

fits best with a high wing config but it's used for everything

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
what a lovely situation

https://twitter.com/thenewarea51/status/1698474366684590465?s=20

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wouldn't the pilot have gotten in trouble for being less than 500 feet from people or structures anyway.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

FuturePastNow posted:

I've seen cropdusters do that kind of thing all the time without crashing so I'm going to guess the pilot accidentally hit the "wings fall off" switch

As someone who’s only background is working with another large propeller plane (think a P3) when I saw the angle that the guy was at after he tried to manoeuvre - he lost lift at at point and would have to desperately try to save himself before he went down

Like at a certain angle you can’t generate lift anymore

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Cojawfee posted:

Wouldn't the pilot have gotten in trouble for being less than 500 feet from people or structures anyway.

i believe it was somewhere in Mexico so the surveillance is probably lower

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

`Nemesis posted:

what a lovely situation

That could have been so much worse. A Japan-Copenhagen flight in 1975 infected about 200 people with Staphylococcus, one of the "both ends" infectious agents. Thank god it was a little under an hour before landing, but that's still "burn all the fittings and acid wash the bare metal" territory.

Well There's Your Problem did a bonus episode on that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEO5Zgbhc1Q

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

So this was one passenger making GBS threads their pants while walking to the bathroom and dripping it down the aisle? Awesome.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that happened on a flight i was on but it was a dog that a lady let out of its carrier bag.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Does anyone have a picture or video of an airplane lasing a target as seen through an infrared camera? I want to see the laser beam shooting out of the plane. Is that even possible?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You do not see laser beams under normal circumstances, but IIRC there are some frequencies where you get more reflections than others. Again IIRC IR is better for this, but you’d think normal designator wouldn’t want to be drawing a beam to the plane under normal circumstances?

IR pointers do exist and the spec sheets for targeting pods say they can do it, but search results all seem to be DCS because of course they are.

At least here’s a real ground based IR pointer looking just like it does in DCS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgvuGFaT7Qw

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Which color crayon do you have to eat to think that this is a sensible runway layout?

Check the ærial photographs. Diagram is as built.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Looks absolutely insane, but it was always mainly a training facility, so maybe not having the runways cross allowed for more concurrent training ops. It’s military so :shrug:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Platystemon posted:

Which color crayon do you have to eat to think that this is a sensible runway layout?

It's also home to almost all of the VSTOL training, so Harriers, Ospreys, big helicopters.... It makes more sense when everyone needs between 0 and 1000' of runway for normal ops. Not that it makes sense, mind, just MORE than zero.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

... all of them, of course?

https://i.imgur.com/xGtmOtp.mp4

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Cherry Point's layout is atypical, but the stupidity was when they were thinking about closing Oceana about two decades ago because of NIMBYism and overdevelopment on the flight paths and moving all assets/squadrons to Cherry Point.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Not aeronautics related but try the coconut

https://i.imgur.com/PY4tjSd.mp4

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

madeintaipei posted:

They run out of complimentary lemon-scented face wipes?

The probability is that civilization will one day arise again. There will be lemon soaked paper napkins. Return to your seats!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

It’s a WWII air field, I assume there was at some point a runway from 5R to 14L as well?

The idea behind the “triangular” WWII runways was that you could always have one runway active without much of a crosswind component. I assume here the idea is you can have landings on one runway and takeoffs from the staggered one in the same direction. Or at least stage for take offs.

Some other examples of WWII training air fields

I believe the weirdness with intersections and stuff was so they could always have one runway available even if all the others had to be closed for maintenance.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 5, 2023

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

As soon as you see it you go "yep, that's totally a ww2 design"

Scrungus
Nov 21, 2022

hobbesmaster posted:

It’s a WWII air field, I assume there was at some point a runway from 5R to 14L as well?

The idea behind the “triangular” WWII runways was that you could always have one runway active without much of a crosswind component. I assume here the idea is you can have landings on one runway and takeoffs from the staggered one in the same direction. Or at least stage for take offs.

Some other examples of WWII training air fields

I believe the weirdness with intersections and stuff was so they could always have one runway available even if all the others had to be closed for maintenance.

I think less for mx and more for winds. Like “it’s fuckin WW2, we are NOT going to lose training hours for OOL crosswinds”

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/bfKIUS0.mp4

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Get Ottered

https://i.imgur.com/bfKIUS0.mp4

Edit: drat a second slow!

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Scrungus posted:

I think less for mx and more for winds. Like “it’s fuckin WW2, we are NOT going to lose training hours for OOL crosswinds”

Alternatively, you just build a giant concrete pad, and you can have any runway alignment you desire:

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/in/Airfields_IN_N.htm#converse

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Winnair?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Looks more like Loseair

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Cherry Point's layout is atypical, but the stupidity was when they were thinking about closing Oceana about two decades ago because of NIMBYism and overdevelopment on the flight paths and moving all assets/squadrons to Cherry Point.

I remember when that was going on there was a lot of talk of building a new base, with one possible location being our county. There were a lot of local government meetings to oppose it where they'd show videos of suburbs during the day, completely empty, and Hornets screaming around. Everyone had the same reaction, "My God, the noise! No one would live here with that!" And I thought, "No one lives here now. That's why they are looking here."
Not In My Desolate Wasteland Backwater Shithole

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

The clothesline. Classic wrestling move.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Another example of how dangerous helicopters are.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I've heard of a propstrike but this is ridiculous!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

charliemonster42 posted:

The probability is that civilization will one day arise again. There will be lemon soaked paper napkins. Return to your seats!

This is AAA-tier referential comedy.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

MrYenko posted:

This is AAA-tier referential comedy.

Just weapons-grade autism, Mr. Zarniwoop.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxkA82wORtw

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

charliemonster42 posted:

Just weapons-grade autism, Mr. Zarniwoop.

Belgium.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

mlmp08 posted:

Another example of how dangerous helicopters are.

This made me laugh really hard.

Reminds me of when I walk into some stationary object clumsily, "Goddamn thing jumped right out in front of me."

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Ban this sick filth

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/deltanewshub/status/1699420223407841751?s=46&t=TBi_iSImUmzjTxXAKsMEHw

I assume another thread on this forum is running through the jokes because there a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

tactlessbastard posted:

Ban this sick filth

Permaban, straight to the lepers colony with him!