Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The Wokes are coming for me meat and two veg!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Has roast dinner ever been anything but mostly vegetables? Are people going around with a plate that's 60% meat?

The vegetables are the point, you can roast a chicken but what makes it a roast dinner is having all the veg done with it and in with the meat so they taste good.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9h8Zh4ASa0

A one min YT search shows how its all bullshit.
veggies were 70% of the plate, meat wasn't as easily affordable.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

As I was walking through Co-op I noticed the front page of the torygraph said the back-to-work plans had been 'delayed until after the next election.'

Presumably when they will be enacted by Rachel Reeves and a visibly aroused Wes Streeting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Would be consistent with the last time with labour introducing the fit for work assessments and the tories "improving" them.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

Much prefer the meat to six veg ratio, i likes a bit of variety.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
where do I sign up for the job centre to sort me out with some work from home work?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

Would be consistent with the last time with labour introducing the fit for work assessments and the tories "improving" them.

Labour also drew up the blueprint for what would eventually be rolled out as Universal Credit

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

smellmycheese posted:

I looked into this and basically a charity did a poll, people on twitter doubted the poll, and the gbnews article is about those tweets

Also the article mentions nothing about wokery whatsoever, it's entirely in the headline

Oh and the article also wanted me to sign up to notifications and install an app.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
THEY WANT US TO EAT RABBIT FOOD, NORMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
if someone hands me a plate that is 100% roasted parsnips and a bit of gravy i'd still probably have a good time

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Angepain posted:

if someone hands me a plate that is 100% roasted parsnips and a bit of gravy i'd still probably have a good time

Not an empty quote

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

There's a town called Woking

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The local uni has a 'wild swimming' society called wet and wild, they quite often make bookings with us and they get put in the diary as the watersports society as I am a child

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I hear the pizza express there is great, and a wonderful way to prove conclusively that you were there on a specific evening and definitely not anywhere else noncing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Skarsnik posted:

The local uni has a 'wild swimming' society called wet and wild, they quite often make bookings with us and they get put in the diary as the watersports society as I am a child

I mean, they are at the moment.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’ve only been to pizza express once because I won a voucher for some bullshit at work, and it was poo poo

Insane that someone would claim to be there as an alibi when they could be at a Nando’s, or maybe even a Chiquito’s

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Skarsnik posted:

So it's a public pool or whatever? This is the point, why the gently caress is it referred to as Wild Swimming if it's in a lido or whatever? It'd make more sense if you were swimming in a lake in bumfuck nowhere? It's very much a British thing and it doesn't really make any sense..

Also Parliamentary Long Pork should be on the menu

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 7, 2023

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

smellmycheese posted:

We had a very nice roast dinner tonight. I can confirm that the chicken was indeed very dead (or at least dying), sadly proving GB News correct.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
It's called wild swimming the same reason it's called rough sleeping, to imply a degree of separation from 'proper' swimming/'proper' sleeping. it's not what proper brits do

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is something grievously wrong with a people who live on an island and are afraid of going in the sea.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

There is something grievously wrong with a people who live on an island and are afraid of going in the sea.

I would agree but it is very cold. I pretend to enjoy it but I’m not sure if I really do.

DC what’s your opinion of the term ‘fell running’?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I fell running once

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

happyhippy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9h8Zh4ASa0

A one min YT search shows how its all bullshit.
veggies were 70% of the plate, meat wasn't as easily affordable.

"Cauliflower cheese now considered a key part of a roast dinner."

Excuse me, what?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

escapegoat posted:

Excuse me, what?

Cauliflower cheese is one of the most disgusting foods known to Man (or Jaeluni at any rate). The number of times my dad dished it up for our dinner as kids. That or macaroni cheese which is almost as gross.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
**Roast Dinner Veg Tier List**

God Tier
Sweet Potatoes, Parsnips, Swede, Red Cabbage

High Tier
Sprouts, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Green Cabbage

Meh Tier
Runner Beans, Carrots

Crap Tier
Peas

poo poo Tier
Tinned Peas

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Cauliflower cheese is one of the most disgusting foods known to Man (or Jaeluni at any rate). The number of times my dad dished it up for our dinner as kids. That or macaroni cheese which is almost as gross.

Cauliflower cheese is good as an accompaniment with something meaty like stew. I can see it going well with a roast dinner, but a necessary component? No way.

Also I'm entirely in favour of the recent American import of having mashed potatoes with a roast, delicious.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

escapegoat posted:

God Tier
Sweet Potatoes,

sweepos in top tier but also don't include roast potatoes at all anywhere?

I sentence you to death by guillotine

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jakabite posted:

I would agree but it is very cold. I pretend to enjoy it but I’m not sure if I really do.

It's very nice on a sunny day. If anything that's half the enjoyment, if it's too hot you can get in the sea, lovely and cold.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

escapegoat posted:

God Tier

High Tier
Sprouts, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Green Cabbage

Meh Tier
Runner Beans, Carrots

Crap Tier
Peas

poo poo Tier
Tinned Peas

Cauliflower cheese is good as an accompaniment with something meaty like stew. I can see it going well with a roast dinner, but a necessary component? No way.

Also I'm entirely in favour of the recent American import of having mashed potatoes with a roast, delicious.
Not a big sweet potato fan. I don't hate it, as long as it isn't sweet potato fries (garbage poo poo for healthy morons). Roast, it gets too dry usually but it's somewhat edible. Decently good if chopped into cubes and sauteed with shallots. But still, I'd usually prefer a regular potato.

Celery root is an unknown one that's really good. Also provides good flavor for other stuff you're roasting, while holding up a lot better than celery stalks.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

escapegoat posted:

Excuse me, what?

It is over here in Northern Ireland.
The right amount of cheese and carmalized onions, holy poo poo nectar of the gods.

I can only assume its a regional thing, for example we rarely do Yorkshire puddings.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Also clay pots are awesome for roasting. It seems like something that's gimmicky but it's totally worth it. The idea is that you soak them for a while, and it essentially steams the food. You can cook food faster at much higher temperatures with them without drying things out.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

kecske posted:

sweepos in top tier but also don't include roast potatoes at all anywhere?

I sentence you to death by guillotine

A roast potato is only a vegetable in the most technical sense, somewhat like a chip.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

escapegoat posted:

God Tier

Putting sweet potato and swede anywhere near a roast dinner, honestly. I audibly tutted when I read your post, that’s how strongly I feel about it.

Putting carrots so low on the list suggests to me that you’ve never had lovely roasted carrots, I do mine with a bit of honey and rosemary, they’re great.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Diet Crack posted:

So it's a public pool or whatever? This is the point, why the gently caress is it referred to as Wild Swimming if it's in a lido or whatever? It'd make more sense if you were swimming in a lake in bumfuck nowhere? It's very much a British thing and it doesn't really make any sense..

Also Parliamentary Long Pork should be on the menu

No I think they piss on each other in a river or something then go to the pub afterwards

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

escapegoat posted:

God Tier

This is Jerusalem artichoke erasure

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Wasn't he one of those gazebo journalists?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The King is back…

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
tier list (roast dins but may apply elsewhere)

god-

yorkie puds
gravy

still alright-

everything else

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

escapegoat posted:

A roast potato is only a vegetable in the most technical sense, somewhat like a chip.
They’re so good as to elevate them into an entirely different category?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Cauliflower cheese like so many dishes can be utterly amazing or hosed up royally as a factor of how you cook it, what cheese do you use, do you season it properly to determine if you end.up with amazing caramelized crispy goodness or grey farty slop.

If you've been fed the aforementioned grey farty flavored slop before, it doesn't matter how good the version is someone is making you, all you'll taste is that, because our brains our dumb and broken and like to recall misery.

Like many British dishes.