Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I suffered through the campaign. Gameplay's alright but I spent a lot of time getting one shot on things I didn't feel I deserved to die to (and I play HC with my mates like an absolute buffoon).

I think there is potential for a decent game here but it was already eye wateringly expensive when I bought it and I thoroughly regret that so any chance of pricy expansions in the future seems pretty bold thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Blizz accountants: "Sooooo...you're saying that there was only ONE expansion for D3 in 2014, only ONE DLC in 2017, and you fuckers gave out FREE seasonal content with NO premium battle passes for nearly a loving DECADE?!?!?! AND NO BARELY loving MONEY MAKING WARDROBES!?

Devs: "Well, we prefer to see our playe-"

Accountants: "shut the gently caress up, you're going to be making up for this"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Doomykins posted:

Annual expansions sounds like it'll send dev burnout into overdrive. D4 itself released undercooked, missing QoL features and innovation from the entire rest of the genre and even its own prequels, had to sack an entire act/region in the campaign and asked for nearly half a year to to play catch up by season 2.

Are they gonna be so on the ball that they can make an expac of content(whatever justifies $30-$70 depending on how big it is and how bold they are) while producing 4 seasons a year? Did they implement parallel production teams with the big infusion of release cash?

Everything we've ever heard from the industry suggests that even if they can hit the proposed pace that it'll dilute the quality of the supported game and what gets an expac release. If every season is season 1 but a few new bosses and they change the color of the effects then I guess that'd cut the workload down.

I dunno, it just seems like some monkey paw stuff might happen. Everybody says D4 has good bones and can be made truly excellent in time. What if they just never do that? :haw:

I'm no Bobby Kotick but I really think they'd be better off pushing expansion content with the seasons

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Expansions yearly filled with the ideas that would have been great seasonal mechanics. Which instead will just be the same mechanic every season with some name changes and a new quest line every other one.

I'll buy the first expansion that has Paladin in it because blizzard knows.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Blizz accountants: "Sooooo...you're saying that there was only ONE expansion for D3 in 2014, only ONE DLC in 2017, and you fuckers gave out FREE seasonal content with NO premium battle passes for nearly a loving DECADE?!?!?! AND NO BARELY loving MONEY MAKING WARDROBES!?

Devs: "Well, we prefer to see our playe-"

Accountants: "shut the gently caress up, you're going to be making up for this"

They clearly did not learn their lesson, since there's more free content in Diablo 4 Seasons than Diablo 3 Seasons

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
an expansion per year? i would think this is grounds for a refund regardless of gametime. this is not diablo anymore its pissablo now

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ah yes blizzard the company famous for holding to expansion timelines.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

faantastic posted:

Expansions yearly filled with the ideas that would have been great seasonal mechanics. Which instead will just be the same mechanic every season with some name changes and a new quest line every other one.

I'll buy the first expansion that has Paladin in it because blizzard knows.

Can't wait to put too many points in a skill and render the game unplayable.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

drat people are weird about this game

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

WIFEY WATCHDOG posted:

an expansion per year? i would think this is grounds for a refund regardless of gametime. this is not diablo anymore its pissablo now

why do you keep posting about trying to do a class action lawsuit or refund. do it or don’t, we don’t care

great big cardboard tube posted:

drat people are weird about this game

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Doomykins posted:

Annual expansions sounds like it'll send dev burnout into overdrive. D4 itself released undercooked, missing QoL features and innovation from the entire rest of the genre and even its own prequels, had to sack an entire act/region in the campaign and asked for nearly half a year to to play catch up by season 2.

Are they gonna be so on the ball that they can make an expac of content(whatever justifies $30-$70 depending on how big it is and how bold they are) while producing 4 seasons a year? Did they implement parallel production teams with the big infusion of release cash?

Everything we've ever heard from the industry suggests that even if they can hit the proposed pace that it'll dilute the quality of the supported game and what gets an expac release. If every season is season 1 but a few new bosses and they change the color of the effects then I guess that'd cut the workload down.

I dunno, it just seems like some monkey paw stuff might happen. Everybody says D4 has good bones and can be made truly excellent in time. What if they just never do that? :haw:

they're going to squeeze a billion dollars out of d4 players

but yeah who tf knows how 4 seasons + annual expansion is meant to work. even if it is just meant to be 3 seasons + 1 expac of content, that's still a helluva pipeline

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Sep 6, 2023

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

It's weird to me to be promising yearly expansions when it takes them 4+ months to do QoL like making gems auto-pickup or whatever. Oh, and fixing resistances, and...

I mean for a while PoE did have one extra big league that had an atlas expansion each year so it's not like indie company blizzard can't put enough devs on it to make it work or whatever, it's just funny to be promising DLC given the state of the game. Speaking of have they announced greater rifts yet?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Clocks posted:

It's weird to me to be promising yearly expansions when it takes them 4+ months to do QoL like making gems auto-pickup or whatever. Oh, and fixing resistances, and...

I mean for a while PoE did have one extra big league that had an atlas expansion each year so it's not like indie company blizzard can't put enough devs on it to make it work or whatever, it's just funny to be promising DLC given the state of the game. Speaking of have they announced greater rifts yet?

Season 3 is when we’re supposed to get whatever the D4 equivalent of GRs are, along with leaderboards.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Herstory Begins Now posted:

they're going to squeeze a billion dollars out of d4 players

but yeah who tf knows how 4 seasons + annual expansion is meant to work. even if it is just meant to be 3 seasons + 1 expac of content, that's still a helluva pipeline

we are getting at minimum 3 expansions, one for each prime evil. it'll start with us dealing with mephisto, following the story from the campaign, then baal, and finally, the big bad, 3 years running ,3 years hyped, EL DIABOLO

dun dun duuuuuuuuuun

(the 3rd expansion will obviously see us return to west sanctuary to fight the skeleton king again)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
This is the third time they have promised multiple yearly expansions for a Diablo game, so I think I would actually support this just because it would be the first time in 24 years that the franchise kept its initial promise of more than one Diablo expansion.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
they should worry about making the game worth playing for more than a couple hours every 3 months before trying to hit up the piggy bank again

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Guys, how do I get in on this class action lawsuit against Diablo?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Click the chat gem three times and then type "slap in the face" and hit enter.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

harrygomm posted:

why do you keep posting about trying to do a class action lawsuit or refund. do it or don’t, we don’t care

they’re trolling m8

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm excited to play more Diablo 4 when they release more Diablo 4.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

What are greater rifts and why are they great

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

latinotwink1997 posted:

Guys, how do I get in on this class action lawsuit against Diablo?

I think you need to call Belial, attorney from hell.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Google “goatse” for more info on greater rifts

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
All I'm getting is rod's personal malignant tunnel

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Doomykins posted:

Click the chat gem three times and then type "slap in the face" and hit enter.

That chat gem was one of the unsung heroes of the game. Just leaving random poo poo around that does nothing but gently caress with people's heads.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Trying to figure out which ring is better for my trample/creeperslide Druid. Obviously the yellow hasn't been upgraded yet, but I'm thinking it'll be better overall? I'm still unsure about how important overpower damage is to this build.

I sort of hate that there's stuff like "+x% critical strike damage with earth skills" but I'm old and like my stats simple.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Goddamn it, looks like I'm nowhere near clearing the pass by October 17th. At least I learned blizzard doesn't think I play enough, so I don't need to worry about trying again.

I'm also pretty annoyed with the scaling levels. It initially took my barbarian like 6 clicks to kill a monster, and fifty levels later it still does.

What a bummer.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

CharlestonJew posted:

Google “goatse” for more info on greater rifts

I don’t want google results on greater rifts or Goatse. I want goons discussion and wisdom on greater rifts or Goatse.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

moths posted:

I'm also pretty annoyed with the scaling levels. It initially took my barbarian like 6 clicks to kill a monster, and fifty levels later it still does.

What a bummer.

Yeah :/

There doesn’t seem to be as many experiences of “oh snap now I feel way more powerful”.

Sorc level 30 unlocking the fireball enchant certainly was though :)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm probably not going to finish the pass either, which is going to be really annoying only having part of the gilded coldiron set.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

EC posted:

Trying to figure out which ring is better for my trample/creeperslide Druid. Obviously the yellow hasn't been upgraded yet, but I'm thinking it'll be better overall? I'm still unsure about how important overpower damage is to this build.

I sort of hate that there's stuff like "+x% critical strike damage with earth skills" but I'm old and like my stats simple.

Yeah feel like this is always one of those disadvantages to stuff leveling to you. It does make leveling up with mates a lot easier though which I do like.

Rolling a new character I end up feeling godly because I have like 10 extra skill points off the bat and then it just gets worse until I'm back to normal. It's a bummer.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

They're basically NMDs but no loot will drop during the run in exchange for one big drop of a minimum guaranteed quality based on difficulty when you kill the boss.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Greater rifts have a time limit component too for leveling up a leggo gem. Similar to the glyph level up at the end.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

EC posted:

for cases where i don’t know what’d be best with mixed need skills, i tend to just use a guides priority list for affixes and unless they’re really disparate (eg min roll crit % vs max roll crit %) i just consider them a binary present or not. as far as damage goes, any one individual roll, or even one individual item, isn’t likely to be worth stressing the details over

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm probably not going to finish the pass either, which is going to be really annoying only having part of the gilded coldiron set.

i play more than the average person so i don’t remember progress on the battle pass. about what level is your dude vs the level of the battle pass you have now?

Yeah :/

There doesn’t seem to be as many experiences of “oh snap now I feel way more powerful”.

Sorc level 30 unlocking the fireball enchant certainly was though :)

my sorc has been the weirdest power curve out of all the guys i’ve played so far. it was the slowest leveling/falling class for me until the mid 60s, worse than launch barb and pre-barber bear druid. now at almost 90, it is clearing current screen and offscreen before i can dump my mana pool.

it’s also probably the safest class i’ve leveled so far, except for maybe druid. i’ve even dropped fire shield passive as it has never proc’d that i’m aware. worse scare i’ve had, other than the d/c, was having the heart that makes you immune for 4.0 seconds if you take s hit for >20% off you max hp. i’m also doing nmd with mobs at +15 of my level just because it doesn’t take any longer or cause any more danger. it’s wild, feels like how i remember beta chain lightning

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

harrygomm posted:

i play more than the average person so i don’t remember progress on the battle pass. about what level is your dude vs the level of the battle pass you have now?
Character 62, pass 66. Am stuck at Champion for the bonus objectives which were giving me a nice little boost. I worked out because I started late i'd need probably 2 tiers a day to make it to 90

Prime gaming are giving away 4 tier skips and probably another 4 in a few days so that'll help a bit, but mostly I'm hampered by time and trying to work out what to do for progress next. NMDs are fun enough but I can't imagine just grinding those out for the next month or whatever.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

harrygomm posted:

for cases where i don’t know what’d be best with mixed need skills, i tend to just use a guides priority list for affixes and unless they’re really disparate (eg min roll crit % vs max roll crit %) i just consider them a binary present or not. as far as damage goes, any one individual roll, or even one individual item, isn’t likely to be worth stressing the details over

Thanks!

After doing 15 world bosses I can safely say I don't really ever want to do them again. Why is the loot so poo poo?

Only one more item on the season journey and we'll be done. We cleared a level 41 NMD the other day, so I'm guessing we'll clear a 43 long before we (lol) reach level 100 or kill Lilith.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
I had leveled with a twisting blades build and switched in late T3 to penetrating shot to try something new. I ended up putting the game down shortly after unlocking T4, somewhere in the low to mid-60's, because I just wasn't enjoying it.

Decided to come back last week and try to finish out the journey - switched back to twisting blades and filled out the build and was enjoying it a lot more. The extra XP still felt worse than I would have liked, but it was taking roughly 1 NMD per paragon point through to the mid-80's which was fine I guess. I got my 6/8 on the last tier of the season journey and was going to keep going to see if I could make an honest attempt at Lillith. Then the buff dropped, and it completely killed my interest in continuing to play. Leveling just feels so slow, and the glyph upgrading feels infinitely worse than upgrading gems in D3. I'm at a point where it takes me between 2 to 3 NMDs to gain a level on a glyph, which means most NMDs don't feel like I'm even accomplishing anything.

I'm not a super optimized player, I'm sure I could be doing runs faster - but right now it just doesn't feel good to run a dungeon and not feel like you've made any progress. No paragon point, not enough points to upgrade a glyph, and no gear upgrades.

I did really enjoy playing up to that point, though. I was gaining power at a decent clip and whole screens of demons were exploding at a time. I'm sure losing the barber in the next season will impact that.

I also think it's wild that I'm level 87 and almost half of the ashes are unavailable. It just seems like such a huge commitment for relatively little gain. Anyway, I'm optimistic they'll continue to improve, so I'll check back in next season. Really hoping they pull some data and decide to make adjustments to xp or find some other way to meaningfully adjust the reward treadmill as you creep up the ladder.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Character 62, pass 66. Am stuck at Champion for the bonus objectives which were giving me a nice little boost. I worked out because I started late i'd need probably 2 tiers a day to make it to 90

Prime gaming are giving away 4 tier skips and probably another 4 in a few days so that'll help a bit, but mostly I'm hampered by time and trying to work out what to do for progress next. NMDs are fun enough but I can't imagine just grinding those out for the next month or whatever.

NMDs give a ton of battlepass progress just by themselves, much faster than doing any season journey stuff, so if you're looking to finish the pass just grind them out for a bit. I remember just around that level suddenly the bpass started going through the ranks like crazy.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

harrygomm posted:

my sorc has been the weirdest power curve out of all the guys i’ve played so far. it was the slowest leveling/falling class for me until the mid 60s, worse than launch barb and pre-barber bear druid. now at almost 90, it is clearing current screen and offscreen before i can dump my mana pool.

it’s also probably the safest class i’ve leveled so far, except for maybe druid. i’ve even dropped fire shield passive as it has never proc’d that i’m aware. worse scare i’ve had, other than the d/c, was having the heart that makes you immune for 4.0 seconds if you take s hit for >20% off you max hp. i’m also doing nmd with mobs at +15 of my level just because it doesn’t take any longer or cause any more danger. it’s wild, feels like how i remember beta chain lightning

I am shocked to hear that your early game sorc was the slowest character to level. Barb and Druid were, wildly, wildly, wildly slower than sorc for this gamer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i picked up sorc as my second class specifically because everyone was saying it was fun to blast around with. obviously slotting in barber was a big boost but i’ve been playing more or less the same build since level 1. maybe it’sa late bloomer. maybe it’s just fatigue at playing a low level character for the 6th time or whatever

DeadlyHalibut posted:

NMDs give a ton of battlepass progress just by themselves, much faster than doing any season journey stuff, so if you're looking to finish the pass just grind them out for a bit. I remember just around that level suddenly the bpass started going through the ranks like crazy.

this is kinda what i was thinking but it’s been a while. i know i completed the battle pass levels well before i finished the season journey stuff, at least. could be worth trying to do some dungeons in a group with others who want to wrap up the battle pass, it makes em go a lot quicker

Russad posted:

No paragon point, not enough points to upgrade a glyph, and no gear upgrades.

i think this nails it for me. seems like NMD really should give a paragon point for a full clear as a baseline. that’s still what, 200 nmd (4 points/level for levels 50-100). kind of like the badge system wow had for a while