Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Dizz posted:

I figured most precons from now on were just gonna be a fat chunk of reprints in each and all they'd do is swap commanders and slap it all in a new 80+ dollar set.

Basically yeah

I bought the Undead Unleashed precon from one of the new innistrads, and then a year+ later I bought the dimir zombies beginner precon for shits and giggles, and the difference between the two is like 5 cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Silhouette posted:

Basically yeah

I bought the Undead Unleashed precon from one of the new innistrads, and then a year+ later I bought the dimir zombies beginner precon for shits and giggles, and the difference between the two is like 5 cards

Good thing I didn't do that. I'm always looking for something to drop in my wilhelt deck but wotc doesn't really care about zombie grinders.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

A friend sent me a photo of a confetti foil Oujo Tithe and I think I like that style of foiling.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I wish they had taken the opportunity to make an "Adventures matter" precon with more stuff like Lucky Clover and Edgewall Innkeeper and a commander that fed into it but I guess we needed yet another enchantment deck

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Talian cEDH deck list presented by ComedIanMTG

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

AnEdgelord posted:

I wish they had taken the opportunity to make an "Adventures matter" precon with more stuff like Lucky Clover and Edgewall Innkeeper and a commander that fed into it but I guess we needed yet another enchantment deck

Yeah, it’s tough because it seems like all the “adventures matter” legendaries have low-powered “copy it” or “discount on adventures” abilities. I’ve been trying to build a Gorion deck and it just seems like it’d be pretty weak, no matter how you build it. You kind of have to build it as a “spells matter” deck, but even then…eh.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I could see us getting more adventure cards in a supplimental set maybe, including more legendaries, and I do think that it's good we got a few more legendaries that play more with the role tokens mechanic

Honestly I don't usually feel this way but I wish they had done three instead of two precons this time

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

TotalHell posted:

Yeah, it’s tough because it seems like all the “adventures matter” legendaries have low-powered “copy it” or “discount on adventures” abilities. I’ve been trying to build a Gorion deck and it just seems like it’d be pretty weak, no matter how you build it. You kind of have to build it as a “spells matter” deck, but even then…eh.

My "adventure matters" deck is Vega, the Watcher. Also uses suspend, cipher, foretell, and rebound, but the two-for-one of adventure cards make them the best in the deck.

I imagine there's much better "play from exile" payoffs if you include red, like Pia Nalaar, Consul of Revival or Rocco, Street Chef. That way you can load up on adventures and red impulse-draw (and not bother with the silly jank I use in white/blue).

blitzkreig.bmp
Aug 7, 2008

Rottin' and Rollin'

TotalHell posted:

Yeah my issue with adventures is that it doesn't really mean anything for a card to be "on an adventure" for all commanders so far.

It ends up either being spells matter, like you said, or an exile matters deck. There's just nothing particularly unique about the gameplay of adventures.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They did print a card that cares in this set too. Howling Galefang has haste as long as you have an Adventure in exile, so they've considered the design space.

TotalHell posted:

Just throw in Lier and confuse everyone with the interaction till they quit.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 6, 2023

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Beluna Grandsquall seems like an attempt to make an Adventures commander. But it's such a weak effect, 5 mana to maybe get 3 adventures to hand?

I was thinking of putting one together just to scan through and pull the adventure cards and Lier, but if it's just going to die to pre-cons it's hard to justify.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

JawnV6 posted:

Beluna Grandsquall seems like an attempt to make an Adventures commander. But it's such a weak effect, 5 mana to maybe get 3 adventures to hand?

I was thinking of putting one together just to scan through and pull the adventure cards and Lier, but if it's just going to die to pre-cons it's hard to justify.

If you generate infinite mana you can mill yourself out with her then use an adventure that returns a creature to get back thassas oracle and win.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
If I've got infinite colored mana and I'm trying to thoracle out it seems like there'd be a way to do that without a sacrifice outlet.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

JawnV6 posted:

If I've got infinite colored mana and I'm trying to thoracle out it seems like there'd be a way to do that without a sacrifice outlet.

You don't need a sac outlet, you can return her to the command zone from exile as a state based action after casting the adventure

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I just recently got sucked back in after being clean for 10 years and picked up that secret lair angels deck.

How do I run Brisela as a commander? Pick one of the halves and hope I draw/tutor the other one?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You don't need a sac outlet, you can return her to the command zone from exile as a state based action after casting the adventure
Good to know!

Floppychop posted:

I just recently got sucked back in after being clean for 10 years and picked up that secret lair angels deck.

How do I run Brisela as a commander? Pick one of the halves and hope I draw/tutor the other one?
The BRO meld pairs generally have one half that's more "durable" than the other. Mishra's meld has Unearth, Titania has a land, Urza's got an artifact.

For Brisela, I think you want Bruna as the commander, hope to get Gisela into the graveyard, then reanimate on the Bruna cast and meld at end of turn?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Stick them both in the 99 and run Giada as the commander

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Floppychop posted:

Yes, but also just use Giada. She’s better.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Silhouette posted:

Stick them both in the 99 and run Giada as the commander

https://youtu.be/TxRa3NakdJ0

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I wondered that about just running Giada instead. Hopefully it won't get me ganged up on, but we'll find out I guess.

Now to find my old Angels vs Demons precons and throw some old classic angels in there too.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
I've been playing the secret lair Angels deck with Giadia as the commander and its fun. I did swap out a few of the non angels for angels I had laying around, but its still basically the precon.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Floppychop posted:

I wondered that about just running Giada instead. Hopefully it won't get me ganged up on, but we'll find out I guess.

Now to find my old Angels vs Demons precons and throw some old classic angels in there too.

I got the SL precon too and switched to Giada in the zone. From the few games I've played with her so far, she tends to fly under the radar. People tend not to consider a 2/2 tribal specific mana dork as a huge threat. If you drop a turn 2 Luminarch Ascension though, that might change.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Giada is very high up on my KOS list, if someone untaps with her on their board you're about to have a real bad time

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sheldon died last night.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Fajita Queen posted:

Sheldon died last night.

What the hell, that sucks. He seemed like a good dude.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

TotalHell posted:

What the hell, that sucks. He seemed like a good dude.

Yeah for all I've given him poo poo on his articles and such he was a genuinely good guy. gently caress cancer.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
drat RIP, he seemed really nice in interviews and stuff. Was hoping to see him on shut up and play again that was really fun.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Fajita Queen posted:

Sheldon died last night.

Always be finding out about deaths from SA threads. I may have found Sheldon to be pompous at times, but I did appreciate that he always used his position (veteran, former tier 5 judge, face of the format) to promote left-leaning principles both with regards to the game and in general.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I did not agree with him on much, but I can't deny that he was a good person and he cared a whole hell of a lot for commander and making a place for people who didn't feel like they fit in with other formats. Dude was responsible for forging a community that, while constantly at each others' throats, probably wouldn't exist without him, at least not in the capacity of the most popular and most fun way to play magic.

gently caress cancer, man. :smith:

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Yeah, it really sucks. I dropped out of competitive Magic five years ago, and pretty much entirely in the past two years, mostly due to product glut fatigue. Dude had to be the most influential person in Magic history outside of Wizards of the Coast employees, right?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Having a legacy of thousands of people having a fun time with friends because of something you helped build is a good legacy to leave behind.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

I've known Sheldon for almost 20 years but these news hit me way harder than I expected.

Last time I saw, he handed out some booster packs to the group of judges I was sitting with. He said, "I hope I get to spend the rest of my days doing this, just being nice to people". :(

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
rip Sheldon

the last time the thread was really dumping on him hard I was gonna post something to the tune of 'you know this dude is gonna die of cancer in like 6 months right?' but left it alone

I would imagine this will be the catalyst to WOTC absorbing/discarding the RC in the next period of time.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Maybe? I could see it going either way of having them finally under WoTC, but they also enjoy not paying them and not giving them any kind of medical benefits or anything entitled to an employee.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Grevlek posted:

rip Sheldon

the last time the thread was really dumping on him hard I was gonna post something to the tune of 'you know this dude is gonna die of cancer in like 6 months right?' but left it alone

I would imagine this will be the catalyst to WOTC absorbing/discarding the RC in the next period of time.

Literally cannot happen.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Grevlek posted:

rip Sheldon

Eh. He was a very divisive person who had a lot of philosophies that didn't gel with everyone, and dunking on his bad ideas isn't malicious, just as it isn't malicious to dunk on anyone else's.

I can disagree with the guy but not wish him dead. Cancer's a loving awful way to go.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Balon posted:

Literally cannot happen.

I mean, ostensibly, the RC could allow it but there is 0.0% chance of that happening. Even if they did, I would expect to see thousands of people recreating the end of Spartacus saying "I'm the EDH antipope."

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Magnetic North posted:

I mean, ostensibly, the RC could allow it but there is 0.0% chance of that happening. Even if they did, I would expect to see thousands of people recreating the end of Spartacus saying "I'm the EDH antipope."

Yeah, basically. The only way to "eliminate" the RC is to enact legal action against them, and that would look worse than the Pinkerton incident to most of the player base.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Yeah this. I disagreed with about 75% of his 'decisions', but he still seemed like a decent guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Holy poo poo that's such an abrupt death. RIP Sheldon

E: forgot I came here for a reason. I purchased the Sliver deck and would appreciate if someone had a list of potential cards worth getting that isn't that 300~ dollar sliver queen.

Dizz fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 9, 2023