Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Indoor Dying posted:

Awesome that everyone has to play Wheel of Doctors

There's a great late stage capitalism game show idea. "Behind one of these doors... Healthcare!"

Applause light comes on, audience gives polite claps.

"But behind the other two doors... Mass shooters!"

Audience erupts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

genericnick posted:

That was a hepa, not a merv13 though. No idea whether that matters in the end

Bag the fucker up, you might need it again one of these days.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Soap Scum posted:

aside from that: FDA approval for a new RAT is expensive in time/money, and i guess if the old one works well enough, no one wants to spend the money on that process.
Yeah, this is a big part of it. Especially now that it's much harder to get anything covid-related through the FDA. Unless you knew people would buy your Better Test, why the gently caress would you bother?

Same reason all the test instructions are still for v1.0 of the virus. Even if throat swabbing or whatever is a lot better for the current variants, you can't change the instructions for your device without going through the FDA and convincing them that the change is warranted.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
perverse incentives all the way down you say??

are you sure?

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Ok.

I wonder if my library has free tests still. That are probably also expired. gently caress hellworld

Indoor Dying has issued a correction as of 21:31 on Sep 6, 2023

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Indoor Dying posted:

Awesome that everyone has to play Wheel of Doctors
My landlord told me he was certain I'd be able to find work when he evicted me from the only place in the state I could find housing, while I was begging and pleading for him not to.

People in this decade can and will kill you with smiles on their faces. Plan accordingly.

SardonicTyrant has issued a correction as of 21:35 on Sep 6, 2023

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Sure the number is up, but not as quickly as before!

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2023-09-06/cdc-new-covid-19-hospitalizations-increase-nearly-16 posted:

CDC: New COVID-19 Hospitalizations Increase Nearly 16%
Coronavirus deaths also appear to be rising slightly though CDC’s provisional mortality data is prone to amendments and delays.
(..)

(..)

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Soap Scum posted:

ah, word, thought i might have missed it during my posting break. that's cool one exists there, although i don't live there anymore, so :') might check w/ friends in the area and see if anyone wants and send you a PM if so though

my understanding is that a correctly performed RAT (low and slow, throat, etc.) is still pretty good at detecting presence. iirc the area the antigen binds to is pretty highly conserved and hasn't changed that much since wild type? someone could correct me if i'm wrong.

aside from that: FDA approval for a new RAT is expensive in time/money, and i guess if the old one works well enough, no one wants to spend the money on that process.

it's annoying but that's why being mentally prepared to try a couple of these mills when the time comes is good. out of sesame, push, and drb, unless you're truly contra-indicated, you'll likely get the okay at least once. good luck D:

The Oldest Man posted:

RATs detect the nucleocapsid protein which is highly conserved; they still work just fine. The problem is people aren't swabbing right or are expecting miracles that they could never provide in terms of pre-symptomatic detection.

DominoKitten posted:

I went to try and read up on how the RATs even work on a variant level because I didn't know and this brief NIH explainer talks about how they've done research on this and I guess the RATs as they currently stand have a high robustness to changes in the virus? It seems like the question is whether or not any sample you're giving the RAT has enough viral material in it to detect. A PCR can catch a much smaller amount of virus due to the incredible sensitivity of the process, where it's amplifying what's there over and over until it can be detected.

Thanks, I'm weirdly relieved that its more of a skill issue than a variant issue for why RATs don't perform the way I wished they did. There's many other problems, but at least there's one less than I thought.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

all of you people getting paxlovid via telehealth are literally stealing paxlovid from crying mothers and babies. jackbooted hidrb and sesamecare thugs are right now breaking down the doors of hospital dispensaries and literally pulling pills out of people's mouths.

i hope y'all are happy with the destruction and chaos you have wrought and that your irrational concern with what amounts to a mild case of the flu is directly murdering vulnerable populations

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
but doctor...i am the vulnerable population!

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
school district just emailed saying they're prepared to bring back mask mandates as outbreaks occur (3 or more cases in a classroom)

:supaburn:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Israel going back to PCR testing hospitalized patients.

quote:

The Health Ministry instructed hospitals in Israel to begin conducting PCR tests on new patients for the next week due to a recent rise in novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) cases on Monday.

Last week, 136 new cases were reported on average each day, compared to 104 new cases each day two weeks earlier, according to data from the Health Ministry. Meanwhile, the number of hospitalized patients with COVID-19 decreased in recent days, with 42 patients in serious condition and 20 in moderate condition as of Sunday.

The Health Ministry noted that most of the cases in Israel are being tested with home tests or non-lab tests, making it harder for officials to track infection rates. The decision to require PCR tests in hospitals will allow health officials to more effectively track the infection rates.
Health officials keeping an eye on BA.2.86 variant

The increase in cases comes as health officials across the world track the spread of the BA.2.86 variant (colloquially referred to as "Pirola") of the coronavirus.

Samson Assuta Ashdod University Hospital announced on Monday that BA.2.86 accounted for over 16% of cases in Israel as of Sunday night based on Health Ministry data.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Long COVID: It's not a guarantee*

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

fosborb posted:

school district just emailed saying they're prepared to bring back mask mandates as outbreaks occur (3 or more cases in a classroom)

Which state?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

fosborb posted:

if you send them home fast enough then you'll never reach the limit of 3 or more cases in a classroom. 2 kids have COVID? send them home. Now you are back to 0 cases. 10 kids have covid? same deal. send them home and presto: 0 cases in a classroom

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

fosborb posted:

lol that the majority of humans are unable to grasp the concept that cause->effect only travels in one direction and that closing the barn doors after the horse got out is ineffective

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

nexous posted:

lol that the majority of humans are unable to grasp the concept that cause->effect only travels in one direction and that closing the barn doors after the horse got out is ineffective

but then if anyone comes by and asks how you lost all your horses, you can point at the closed barn doors and tell them there was nothing you could have done

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

this is antivax (reinstitution of PCR testing is accepting that strategy of only vaccination is not enough which will cause people to shun the "useless" vaccine)

if israel really wanted covid numbers to drop they'd stop testing

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Oracle posted:

Which state?

Maryland

they did trash their COVID dashboard this school year. boo hiss

bedpan posted:

if you send them home fast enough then you'll never reach the limit of 3 or more cases in a classroom. 2 kids have COVID? send them home. Now you are back to 0 cases. 10 kids have covid? same deal. send them home and presto: 0 cases in a classroom

after being open for 6 days, several schools have already hit the criteria. oops

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Strep Vote posted:

remember the time the alabama state emergency management agency created a triage guide after h1n1 in which the disabled would be excluded from life-saving care because they were judged as having a lower pre-illness 'quality of life' than the able-bodied and were less likely to, quote, go on to "enjoy happy productive lives"?

pepperidge farm remembers

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
we realize school shootings are a problem so we will be instituting mass bandage deliveries after a shooting. you’re welcome

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

fosborb posted:

Maryland

after being open for 6 days, several schools have already hit the criteria. oops

now will the mandate masks or change the criteria?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

fosborb posted:

(..)

So will they bring back masking?

"Actually the email said 'prepared to', so no" :smug:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

nexous posted:

deciding a fire department is a good idea after all once the city is on fire

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

bedpan posted:

The smart solution is to distribute the sick kids across classes.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Strep Vote posted:

you should be put on public trial in the hague

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Pingui posted:

send the sick kids to in school suspension so that they don't count as in a classroom anymore

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

bedpan posted:

send the sick kids to in school suspension so that they don't count as in a classroom anymore

:hai: Use it as an overflow buffer once you already have 2 sick kids in a class.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

the victorian social services policy of "less eligibility" but for children with covid

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Pingui posted:

Thinking about the school that rotated kids every 14 minutes so that no one child would hit the legal limit of 15 minutes' exposure.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

bedpan posted:

the victorian social services policy of "less eligibility" but for children with covid

i don't think this idea ever actually went away lol

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Oracle posted:

So the thing with all these online services is that they're basically portals doctors/NPs can sign up to provide care through, and YMMV as to the quality of a doc who is willing to sign up to a health care portal to take on patients sight unseen. I've heard of people being told they should take ivermectin through some of these more than once, for instance, and some seem like they just want to help people who might otherwise be shut out of the traditional health care system. Just note the ones that seem sane and reasonable, check ratings and see if you can't specifically choose them on a future visit vs letting the algorithm decide.

The NP I got yesterday was helpful but I guess there is a concern naming them might be counter productive?

Teabag Dome Scandal has issued a correction as of 22:51 on Sep 6, 2023

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Strep Vote posted:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
The processes mentioned are about as idiotic as you would assume:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2023/09/covid-infection-surge-universal-masking-return/675239/ posted:

The Big COVID Question for Hospitals This Fall
With universal masking mandates almost entirely gone, hospitals now have to decide when—or if—to bring requirements back.
(..)
More specific advice could still emerge from the CDC, or individual state health departments. But going forward, the assumption is that “each hospital is supposed to have its own general plan,” Rhee told me. (I reached out to the CDC repeatedly about whether it might update its infection-prevention-guidance webpage for COVID—last retooled in May—but didn’t receive a response.)
(..)
Some hospitals have turned instead to in-house stats. At Duke—which has adopted a mitigation policy that’s very similar to UVA’s—Wolfe has mulled pulling the more-masking lever when respiratory viruses account for 2 to 4 percent of emergency and urgent-care visits; at UVA, Sifri has considered taking action once 1 or 2 percent of employees call out sick, with the aim of staunching sickness and preserving staff. “It really doesn’t take much to have an impact on our ability to maintain operations,” Sifri told me. But “I don’t know if those are the right numbers.” Plus, internal metrics are now tricky for the same reasons they’ve gotten shaky elsewhere, says Xiaoyan Song, the chief infection-control officer at Children’s National Hospital, in Washington, D.C. Screening is no longer routine for patients, skewing positivity stats; even sniffly health-care workers, several experts told me, are now less eager to test and report.
(..)
Instead, many American hospitals will be entering their fourth COVID winter looking a lot like they did in early 2020—when the virus surprised us, when our defenses were down.
:crnasickos:

Archived link: https://archive.li/LAELw

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

fosborb posted:

No way to prevent or predict this

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pingui posted:

The processes mentioned are about as idiotic as you would assume:

:crnasickos:

Archived link: https://archive.li/LAELw

quote:

Wolfe has mulled pulling the more-masking lever when respiratory viruses account for 2 to 4 percent of emergency and urgent-care visits; at UVA, Sifri has considered taking action once 1 or 2 percent of employees call out sick, with the aim of staunching sickness and preserving staff. “It really doesn’t take much to have an impact on our ability to maintain operations,” Sifri told me. But “I don’t know if those are the right numbers.”

"it doesn't take much to have an impact on our ability to maintain our operations" vs picking numbers that guarantee you're going to be totally hosed

hmmmm

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

fosborb posted:

Maryland

dang who could have forseen such a thing?

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

bedpan posted:

jackbooted hidrb and sesamecare thugs are right now breaking down the doors of hospital dispensaries and literally pulling pills out of people's mouths.

don't threaten me with a good time

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

The Oldest Man posted:

"it doesn't take much to have an impact on our ability to maintain our operations" vs picking numbers that guarantee you're going to be totally hosed

hmmmm

once one or two percent of your employees are actively called out sick, its basically guaranteed that several more percent are about to call out sick, and are currently spreading covid inside your hospital, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

celadon posted:

once one or two percent of your employees are actively called out sick, its basically guaranteed that several more percent are about to call out sick, and are currently spreading covid inside your hospital, right?

actually no one could have predicted this