Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Srice posted:

It's something that's a bummer to me because it felt like for the most part, the original run of the show was good at picking evergreen stuff. Like yeah they had contemporary references but they picked a lot of stuff that stood the test of time. Like having a Titanic episode doesn't feel dated.

I haven't watched the new one but I remember the comedy central revival had episodes on stuff like Prop 8, iphone apps back when that was a new thing, etc. Stuff that instantly aged the episodes in a bad way.

yeah i mean all the best episodes are not at all topical

though original run did have that loving awful takes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Some Guy TT posted:

key word being basically

oh I totally agree it's just a very good comparison and my day is richer for having read it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Srice posted:

It's something that's a bummer to me because it felt like for the most part, the original run of the show was good at picking evergreen stuff. Like yeah they had contemporary references but they picked a lot of stuff that stood the test of time. Like having a Titanic episode doesn't feel dated.

I haven't watched the new one but I remember the comedy central revival had episodes on stuff like Prop 8, iphone apps back when that was a new thing, etc. Stuff that instantly aged the episodes in a bad way.

I've only seen the first two episodes of the new batch and I thought they were decent. some already-dated references and Fry sounds soooo old (but Zap doesn't for some reason) but still like C/C+ quality Futurama. I don't feel like I wasted my time on them although now I’m kind of dreading the covid episode

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

With The Simpsons and Futurama you can see the exact moment the accumulated decades of lead poisoning finally broke through the brain blood barrier in the Gen Xers.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Nothing will ever reach The Simpsons in terms of being milked dry of all potential well beyond the permissible limit.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
So I watched Airheads the other day, after not seeing it for at least a decade and I somehow missed that Rebel Radio(in LA no less) has it's mascot wearing a confederate army cap complete with flag

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

with Futurama I will still think about old episodes and whenever I see the characters or hear their voices part of my mind vibrates with that "aww it's my buddies" feeling, but for some reason I don't have that nostalgia-attachment for The Simpsons (even though the first ~250 episodes taken as a whole are an undeniable masterpiece)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I stopped watching it when they revisited the Jurassic Bark episode to "fix" the ending, you didn't need to do that and it cheapens a really good moment of gut punch television

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I stopped watching it when they revisited the Jurassic Bark episode to "fix" the ending, you didn't need to do that and it cheapens a really good moment of gut punch television

Wait, what? They revisited an iconic episode to change it?

Did they think this was the Homer Jumps The Gorge memory they wanted to ruin for Futurama audiences by going back to it repeatedly?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Yeah that was loving stupid

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Did they think this was the Homer Jumps The Gorge memory they wanted to ruin for Futurama audiences by going back to it repeatedly?

it was in one of the movies. An alternate version of Fry goes back and reunites with him.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

they did it as a gently caress you to the fans iirc. I thought it was funny

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

indigi posted:

if anything it's fan service. "oh no, it's okay, don't worry sweetie, the cartoon dog is okay, he had a long happy life with another fry and wasn't sad at all"

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Thanks, I hate it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
TBF if I had a time machine I would 100% be using it on dog-related activities.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

skooma512 posted:

TBF if I had a time machine I would 100% be using it on dog-related activities.

that's gross man.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Srice posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

30 versions of me across spacetime converging on one moment in 2002 just to play with our dog.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

skooma512 posted:

30 versions of me across spacetime converging on one moment in 2002 just to play with our dog.

We need pictorial evidence of dog.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

does anyone remember why amazon was such an infamously bad investment twenty years ago i remember that being a thing but i have no idea why amazon specifically was supposed to be emblematic of flawed dot com business models considering that unlike those other business models it at least sold an actual product

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

does anyone remember why amazon was such an infamously bad investment twenty years ago i remember that being a thing but i have no idea why amazon specifically was supposed to be emblematic of flawed dot com business models considering that unlike those other business models it at least sold an actual product

Actual products are inventory, and as my Accounting 101 professor said, inventory is dead cash.

Why sell an actual product when you could sell services with less booked overhead, or better yet just promise a bunch of things and have people throw money at you.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

galagazombie posted:

Is this the same splat book where they introduced the Armored Assault Wheelchair that was so OP it made being paraplegic a massive bonus in-game? Complete with a picture of a Wheelchair bound thief (you know the class that has to crouch in the shadows) fighting dudes with a knife?

I think that was a third-party supplement but it also had the most insane thing I've ever seen which is that your wheelchair, if you're a druid, will transform to be your animal's equivalent of a wheelchair when you shapeshift. So if you transform into a wolf, you have a dumb faux-medieval version of this on:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The prop 8 episode is very bad

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Jaxyon posted:

So I watched Airheads the other day, after not seeing it for at least a decade and I somehow missed that Rebel Radio(in LA no less) has it's mascot wearing a confederate army cap complete with flag

yeah the confederate flag didn't really become unacceptable to white people at large until the late 90s/early 2000s when there was a big enough pressure campaign to get it removed from the few remaining southern states that still flew them at their state houses and had the design on their own flags

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

insane clown pussy posted:

yeah the confederate flag didn't really become unacceptable to white people at large until the late 90s/early 2000s when there was a big enough pressure campaign to get it removed from the few remaining southern states that still flew them at their state houses and had the design on their own flags

lmao @ Dianne Feinstein hosting the stars and bars in SF

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

regarding frys dog i vaguely recall the showrunners claiming they were planning that retcon from the beginning the main clue being that the fossilized dog is standing up but the dog is in a lying position during its presumed onscreen death

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

watched some orville. not bad. not great, but not bad.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

indigi posted:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Some Guy TT posted:

They became popular at the end of the dot com bubble and everyone was going "lol, investing in a digital bookstore" instead of asking how they survived when pets dot com didn't.
It took twenty years for someone to later crack pets dot com (chewy) but Amazon always had the logistics

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

insane clown pussy posted:

I blame the dukes of hazzard

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

it's aesthetically pleasing, ethics aside

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Pussy Quipped posted:

I blame the dukes of hazzard

:hai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meEN8tfT7b4

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Finally got around to finishing Netflix's Witcher S3, and the showrunners really wish they were writing for Game of Thrones and seem to resent having Geralt around as a character

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Watched Night Patrol (1984) and Unknoen Comic vehicle. The movie is awful, nonsensical, and has a blackface scene.

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 01:36 on Sep 7, 2023

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Watched Solar Opposites season 4.

They fired Roiland lol. Since this show's raison is goofy scifi poo poo they just pointed a voice ray at him and that's it, new voice actor. Easiest switch in the world. I'm sure S5 will have better lines for him since I think they just overdubbed the new guy over the already complete season.

I'd say overall this season was the weakest of them. The Wall is still interesting. Silvercops seemed like a way to make someone's furry fiction a reality. Them jumping around going "MAKE-A THE DEENO" was the funniest part of that episode.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

HootTheOwl posted:

They became popular at the end of the dot com bubble and everyone was going "lol, investing in a digital bookstore" instead of asking how they survived when pets dot com didn't.
It took twenty years for someone to later crack pets dot com (chewy) but Amazon always had the logistics

The whole idea of actually having an online store where you can just buy poo poo and have it delivered took so goddamn long to catch on, there's jokes about how if Sears had put their catalogue online instead of discontinuing it they'd be Amazon now instead of hundreds of dead stores destroyed by their libertarian CEO.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

they were a joke stock precisely because they deviated from the dot-com bubble companies. instead of siphoning off all their profits toward shareholders and/or angel investors, they reinvested the money into servers and eventually established supply lines well beyond bookstores. their long-term thinking and eventual success is anathema to american business culture, and also why amazon is held up as a model for immediate loving nationalization. their domination of supply chains and stamping out competitors (and independent sellers with Amazon Basics), minus the profit motive, is a model to build upon

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole idea of actually having an online store where you can just buy poo poo and have it delivered took so goddamn long to catch on, there's jokes about how if Sears had put their catalogue online instead of discontinuing it they'd be Amazon now instead of hundreds of dead stores destroyed by their libertarian CEO.

it's not really a joke. sears would be our god. the joke is that the dumb bookstore company was the one to actually do it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Y'know, in retrospect it says a lot that at least since the 80s; American Psycho, Obelix and Co, The Lego Movie, the go-to stereotype of businessmen is men in suits whose work and life is so abstracted and consists entirely of buzzwords, signifiers and 'meetings' that all lack substance to the point where it's practically a cargo cult, and that turns out to just be flat out reality for the most of them. Most of the business class is basically kayfabe for privilege, because running around in pith helmets with muskets or armour and lances went out of fashion.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Lateralus (Taylor's Version)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

i say swears online posted:

they were a joke stock precisely because they deviated from the dot-com bubble companies. instead of siphoning off all their profits toward shareholders and/or angel investors, they reinvested the money into servers and eventually established supply lines well beyond bookstores. their long-term thinking and eventual success is anathema to american business culture, and also why amazon is held up as a model for immediate loving nationalization. their domination of supply chains and stamping out competitors (and independent sellers with Amazon Basics), minus the profit motive, is a model to build upon

it's not really a joke. sears would be our god. the joke is that the dumb bookstore company was the one to actually do it

yeah this, it was a big loving sin that they didnt turm a profit for a couple decades. imagine that, growth and reinvesting revenue into the company to loving dominate the entire retail market.

i personally dont understand how anyone buys anything there now though. it used to look like an actual online store, now it looks like aliexpress had massive diarrhea all over the entire website.