Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Cummins swap?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Swap it to a 6.0: nope.
I don't care what you do to a 6.0, you won't make the same torque from idle to 3k rpm N/A; forced induction for towing is in the category of extremely danger.
A gen6 454 with an RPM airgap intake, long tube headers, and a well tuned carb will make in the neighborhood of 500lb/ft of torque around 3500rpm, a 6.0 can't beat that.

I'm not against fuel injection in general, if i found a good deal on an 8.1 i'd probably go with that but I do have one requirement for efi: it must be factory parts. If i'm on the road and have a failed factory ECU or sensor or something, i can get one anywhere.

Cummins swap would be fun, but REALLY expensive, that's looking at swapping the everything. Different trans, transfer case, custom mounts, etc. A chevy engine will just drop in.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

chrisgt posted:

Swap it to a 6.0: nope.
I don't care what you do to a 6.0, you won't make the same torque from idle to 3k rpm N/A; forced induction for towing is in the category of extremely danger.
A gen6 454 with an RPM airgap intake, long tube headers, and a well tuned carb will make in the neighborhood of 500lb/ft of torque around 3500rpm, a 6.0 can't beat that.

I'm not against fuel injection in general, if i found a good deal on an 8.1 i'd probably go with that but I do have one requirement for efi: it must be factory parts. If i'm on the road and have a failed factory ECU or sensor or something, i can get one anywhere.

Cummins swap would be fun, but REALLY expensive, that's looking at swapping the everything. Different trans, transfer case, custom mounts, etc. A chevy engine will just drop in.

yeah this is all correct. a junkyard gen6 with intake/cam/springs is going to be a totally different animal than a malaise era 454 or whatever, provided you can still find one in good shape. it's like turning your nose up at an L31 vortec because your old tbi 350 made no power to speak of.

the 8100 is a great motor if you plan on leaving it stock. last i checked, there was't really anything in the way of aftermarket for it. which is fine, because it's good as-is, but you're not going to hotrod it.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

What a turd

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I'm kidding. That's a really cool car too keep in good shape. Have more pics?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Wrar posted:

I have a boosted 6.0 in a van and it's fantastic.

Legit Street Cars just Procharged their 12 passenger 6.0 van as a tow/cargo vehicle, and it looks like a lot of fun. 14 MPG on the highway, though. Guess that’s not bad for a giant brick with 600 HP or whatever.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

Legit Street Cars just Procharged their 12 passenger 6.0 van as a tow/cargo vehicle, and it looks like a lot of fun. 14 MPG on the highway, though. Guess that’s not bad for a giant brick with 600 HP or whatever.

way better than my giant bricks with 1/3 and 1/2 the power.
Boost and towing with a LS is fine, maybe don't let jimbob the methcook do the tuning.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Well when poo poo pisses me off I take action, this thing followed me home today:

It's an 8.1 from a 2002 ski resort shuttle bus, it only has 43k miles on it.
Comes with the full and unmolested wiring harness, VATS has been deleted and it's been tuned or whatever for a manual transmission; it starts right up and runs great. So I need to find the right clutch/flywheel combo for my truck, strip the wiring harness down, and clean poo poo up: replace exhaust manifold bolts, chase all the bolt holes, etc.

I want to just be a boomer and slap a Dart manifold on there and run a carburetor and HEI, but I think i'll stick it out and get the EFI working, it should be awesome in the end.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
see? the 8.1 side owns.

Resist the boomer. It's the path to hate and darkness.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

cursedshitbox posted:

see? the 8.1 side owns.

Resist the boomer. It's the path to hate and darkness.

I don't have a problem with carburetors, they're simple and just work. The 350 in there now is so ridiculously simple and easy to work on.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
All I'm gonna say is it sure is nice to adjust my poo poo from in the cab via OBD2 with my laptop when it's winter and I decide I need to change something, instead of having to open the hood and use a screwdriver. I can usually get the job done on the side of the road with the HVAC blower going before it even stops blowing warm air, too.

Oh, and I get advance warning when something is acting up and the part is on the shelf at the next AutoZone I already checked stock at via the Internet before I even got off the highway. When I dropped a coil pack on my cross country drive I had a new one lined up literally before I got off of i94 and already knew which cylinder it was when I opened the hood. When I dropped that cylinder again (unsure why, I've been ignoring it since) I simply continued my drive with 7 cylinders because I was fed up. I don't think you can do that with one ignition coil and a distributor.

None of that is true of an aftermarket ignition, carb, and intake setup on a 8.1.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Crossposting because I finally got her fixed and bodywork doesn't have to cost the goddamn earth.

All in £3,004.20. Two doors and front wing totallinng £1,284.50, paint and materials came in at £295, labour cost was £924.

Just so pleased to be able to drive around and hear that stupid idiot moron straight piped V8 burble.

E: for reference...

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

kastein posted:

All I'm gonna say is it sure is nice to adjust my poo poo from in the cab via OBD2 with my laptop when it's winter and I decide I need to change something, instead of having to open the hood and use a screwdriver. I can usually get the job done on the side of the road with the HVAC blower going before it even stops blowing warm air, too.

Oh, and I get advance warning when something is acting up and the part is on the shelf at the next AutoZone I already checked stock at via the Internet before I even got off the highway. When I dropped a coil pack on my cross country drive I had a new one lined up literally before I got off of i94 and already knew which cylinder it was when I opened the hood. When I dropped that cylinder again (unsure why, I've been ignoring it since) I simply continued my drive with 7 cylinders because I was fed up. I don't think you can do that with one ignition coil and a distributor.

None of that is true of an aftermarket ignition, carb, and intake setup on a 8.1.

well the dart intake manifold to put an HEI distributor and carb on the 8.1 is extremely hard to find; the thing starts right up, so EFI is likely here to stay on it.
It runs great, i just need to figure out what all the dangling connectors go to and weed the harness down to just the ECU and a fuel pump relay. Right now it has the entire fuse box, ECU, TCU, etc.
On that note, the TCU part number seems to be worth around $500 on ebay, so there's a good chunk of change back right there.

Here I am starting it up and scaring myself when I goose the gas pedal a bit too much:
https://youtu.be/AB-QjhdzUHE

The electronic gas pedal is going to make mounting so much easier, no screwing around with cables and cable pull distances and stuff.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5AwnV3UWUc

Open headers two feet from the half an oil jug full of gas, what could possibly go wrong? :lol:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

This picture is from somewhere in the middle of stripping the harness down, I thought I was going to go insane; but i didn't! The harness is now fully stripped, i probably removed 70% of the wires from it. The Alison transmission has its own ECU (which is quite valuable on ebay) and a ton of wiring.

I did a test fire on my harness and it works fine, but i forgot to loop the power steering line back into the reservoir and made a mess.... a BIG one. Anyway, I'm stoked that the wiring is good so now I can move on to the mechanical things. I think I have identified the clutch setup to use, how i'm going to do the oil cooler, etc. etc.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Fuk dude

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

CPO 2020 WRX Limited. Stoked!

amenenema fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 1, 2023

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
I bought a caravan! 1986 Bjølseth 600 Grand De Luxe, and what a beauty she is!

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

No. 6 posted:

What a turd

Did you say something?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

afen posted:

I bought a caravan! 1986 Bjølseth 600 Grand De Luxe, and what a beauty she is!

I'm confused how can you possibly pull that without a F550 with a 25,000lb towing capacity???

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

opengl posted:

I'm confused how can you possibly pull that without a F550 with a 25,000lb towing capacity???

Dammit, beat me to it.

Chrisgt: good on ya for sticking with the EFI. Factory stuff is well sorted out. You should be fine. I wouldn’t be surprised if the truck returns better fuel economy despite the bigness of the block. And yeah, open manifolds are kinda loud when they’re right next to your head. :D

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

opengl posted:

Where there's a will, there's a way

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

afen posted:

Where there's a will, there's a way

The truth right here.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme
Filling up

Only registered members can see post attachments!

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Dammit, beat me to it.

Chrisgt: good on ya for sticking with the EFI. Factory stuff is well sorted out. You should be fine. I wouldn’t be surprised if the truck returns better fuel economy despite the bigness of the block. And yeah, open manifolds are kinda loud when they’re right next to your head. :D

i hope it doesn't fight me, i like the simplicity of a carb and HEI but figured since the guy i bought this from already had the ECU tuned for a manual i owe it to myself to at least try.
Now i'm doing fun things like removing the 14 manifold bolts that broke off. Oh and someone drilled and tapped all of them on once side crooked and installed heli-coils. What fun...

I don't understand why anyone does that. It takes me less time to weld a washer to the bolt and rip out it with visegrips than it would to drill and tap.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

It's all about the tools, skills and time you have available. That doesn't sound fun though, GL.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Suburban Dad posted:

It's all about the tools, skills and time you have available. That doesn't sound fun though, GL.

yea... i spoke too soon lol. i just spent 45 minutes over lunch and failed to get a single one out of the driver side. those fuckers are IN THERE. Iron heads suck and all the usual tricks for aluminum aren't helping, also doesn't help that chevy had to use tiny little 8mm fasteners.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Mods change the title to VAG Towing

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
So I went from February knowing next to nothing about Alfa to buying one in September.

My main priorities are getting decent all-season tires on the rims it so I don't kill myself when it gets cold and a decent set of snow tires for the winter.

It drives as advertised. Extremely docile an d easy to maneuver in traffic and then you get into the open highway and punch it and it roars to life and it goes exactly where you point it. It's like nothing else I've ever driven, the closest thing I've owned before is my '92 Nissan Sentra SE-R, but even that is a light year away from this.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

gently caress yeah. Awesome color too.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

davecrazy posted:

So I went from February knowing next to nothing about Alfa to buying one in September.

My main priorities are getting decent all-season tires on the rims it so I don't kill myself when it gets cold and a decent set of snow tires for the winter.

It drives as advertised. Extremely docile an d easy to maneuver in traffic and then you get into the open highway and punch it and it roars to life and it goes exactly where you point it. It's like nothing else I've ever driven, the closest thing I've owned before is my '92 Nissan Sentra SE-R, but even that is a light year away from this.

oh you son of a bitch

and gently caress all seasons, get some good summer rubber and good winter rubber, don’t hobble that sexy machine with all seasons.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

davecrazy posted:

Owns. CF spoiler and gunmetal wheels are stock?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

TenaciousTomato posted:

Owns. CF spoiler and gunmetal wheels are stock?

On the QV they are I believe

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Also unless you have an actual question or are buying/selling something don’t go on the Giulia forums. They’re mostly either racist boomers or act like they’re driving a $200k supercar

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Almost forgot the best part.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I have a regular customer with a 1990 Camry wagon, I happened to run into him at Sam's Club on Monday - and we both happened to be driving our wagons. Of course I had to get pics. Wagon frens :3:

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

oh you son of a bitch

and gently caress all seasons, get some good summer rubber and good winter rubber, don’t hobble that sexy machine with all seasons.

This. Summer tyres are vastly better and safer right up until the point where you get black ice. Then it's time for winter tyres. All-season tyres are just the worst of both worlds, you'll be wrecking the driving dynamics with those.

That verde colour is real nice!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Nothing really works on black ice except for studded tires or chains, snow tires excel on anything between wet pavement and black ice while 3 seasons and summers do not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

davecrazy posted:

Username / post combo

Unironically: good on you! I wish we had an Alfa dealer within less than 1h drive. Owning an Alfa may be the last item on my automotive bucket list.