Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

CatstropheWaitress posted:

It's also the series greatest asset that the world is incredibly well connected, so, for example,

Should probably spoiler tag this part. Was a cool surprise when it happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Yeah, it's very linear storytelling. You wouldn't skip chapters of a book to get to the "good parts". It's the same principle.

Alright thanks. I'll probably give it another try this weekend

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

HPanda posted:

The closest thing I can think of to filler past that is the Foxy Pirates bit. And even then, it finishes with story-important stuff. Maybe there are a couple of flashbacks that could have probably been trimmed down?

nothing is more important than davy back

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
The Davy Back fight is one of the funniest, cleverest, and most creative fights in the entire series, so it's especially important not to skip it.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Oh agreed that it’s great. I just mean, purely from a story perspective, I don’t think anything from it has been brought up again, barring what happens at the very end of that island’s story.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Sanji smokes his cigs extremely french-ly and I find it very amusing.

Also changing Zoro and Nami into way too cool for everything quasi elder siblings to Luffy rather than screaming at his antics is a pretty inspired choice.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

HPanda posted:

Oh agreed that it’s great. I just mean, purely from a story perspective, I don’t think anything from it has been brought up again, barring what happens at the very end of that island’s story.

this is why i'm convinced that the final battle for the one piece or whatever ends up being a davy back fight

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

fatherboxx posted:

Sanji smokes his cigs extremely french-ly and I find it very amusing.

Also changing Zoro and Nami into way too cool for everything quasi elder siblings to Luffy rather than screaming at his antics is a pretty inspired choice.

Yeah, it's sad that the limitations of the medium mean that all the little slapstick physical humor gags wouldn't come off well in live action, but I think they manage the snarky straight man reactions to the antics we do get pretty well.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Still wanna see Usopp hammer make an appearance at least once.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God I hope the show lasts long enough to get to Thriller Bark and the Usopp/Perona "fight"

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

lih posted:

i also don't really like what they did to garp's characterisation, he's not jolly enough. him sending mihawk after luffy was pretty silly but in the manga he wouldn't throw a tantrum if that didn't work out, he'd laugh it off

I don't know, I thought if felt pretty accurate to the original manga character because as much as Garp laughs whenever [minor manga spoilers about Garp's characterization]he hears about Luffy doing something, he's also still visibly angry whenever he's around Luffy in flashbacks and Luffy talks about being a pirate and even gets easily angry (and quickly switches back to jovial) when he does meet Luffy in person. It seems like the live action just built up to Garp accepting that, and then presumably adopting his current attitude, which is basically there at the end of the season, when he responds to Luffy asking why he couldn't be gentler if all he was doing was testing his resolve by saying that being a bit tough was more fun. Plus, he does laugh when he finds out about Mihawk, just after trashing the office.

TengenNewsEditor posted:

The nods to stuff they had to leave out, like Don Krieg's cameo, are so well done.

In a lot of adaptations these kinds of nods feel tacked on - an obligation or throwing a bone to the fans. I love Baratie and they changed it a lot, but the little touches seem to express a love for the source material and regret for leaving out some cool stuff to make the adaptation work.

I love that we get characters that look like Mayor Woop Slap in Windmill Village, and Mayor Boodle in whatever the name of the village Buggy is terrorizing is. Yes, the mayor of Luffy's home town is named Woop Slap.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I was not a fan of how the show handled a lot of the fishmen racism material in the back half of the season, or the way it handled Nami in that very last episode. Not great -- sometimes confusing, but overall probably just sat fairly badly with me.

Overall the show was very shallow, but the spectacle was good, and the acting (with one major exception) was great.

But yeah, nah, that subplot.

The Fishman racism that we do get in the manga is pretty overt and really, a lot of the manga's themes are in general; the depth in One Piece is added not by subtlety, but by just layering more and more themes and world-building on top of existing elements in a way that feels natural instead. Which isn't really surprising, because Oda has always written for a young audience, and doesn't want to "age" the manga's content up with the original audience, but instead to always write for the existing crop of younger Shonen Jump readers. If the writing around things like racism was complex then it'd go over a lot of the intended audience's heads, and honestly, I'm not sure subtle racism doesn't fly over a lot of adults heads too.

Elephant Ambush posted:

OK I'm starting to not believe "there is no filler" if things like this are considered important

The broader issue with identifying filler in One Piece is that with the way Oda writes, earlier stuff you might have assumed was filler at the time can become important later because an arc written ten years later heavily references and builds on things in that apparent filler. A lot of people treated the Skypiea arc (the second major arc in the Grand Line) as filler for years because it takes place in a location mostly disconnected from the rest of the story geographically, but a lot of stuff in the last few years (i.e. a decade or more after Skypiea itself) seems to be building upon stuff in that arc, with hints that it's only going to become more relevant over time. You could skip some parts of the story someone identifies for you as filler now, but at the same time, doing so might leave you with no context for things that haven't even happened yet.

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 6, 2023

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Reading it all now might be better, too. There were a few arcs I felt went longer than they probably should have, but that’s with the context that the arc might have taken years to conclude. It’s a bit different when you can read it all at once.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jerusalem posted:

God I hope the show lasts long enough to get to Thriller Bark and the Usopp/Perona "fight"

i enjoy Usopp's performance here but I really don't buy for a second that LA Usopp as we've seen him could pull off "I'm already Negative!", because like... he isn't. they've basically removed being an anxious coward from his personality and leaned into the liar stuff (and also made him the party dude).

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

HPanda posted:

Reading it all now might be better, too. There were a few arcs I felt went longer than they probably should have, but that’s with the context that the arc might have taken years to conclude. It’s a bit different when you can read it all at once.

dressrosa is still extremely overlong even reading it all in one go though

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I was watching Labyrinth and the puppeteer still holds up; they really should make Chopper a Jim Henson Co. puppet

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

SgtSteel91 posted:

I was watching Labyrinth and the puppeteer still holds up; they really should make Chopper a Jim Henson Co. puppet

:hmmyes:

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

SgtSteel91 posted:

This would kick serious rear end.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

i enjoy Usopp's performance here but I really don't buy for a second that LA Usopp as we've seen him could pull off "I'm already Negative!", because like... he isn't. they've basically removed being an anxious coward from his personality and leaned into the liar stuff (and also made him the party dude).
we haven't seen him be a massive coward yet

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Countblanc posted:

There's plenty of time for Usopp finding himself overwhelmed by the sheer power on display in the Grand Line and grasping that he doesn't have the strength/power to go toe-to-toe with them like Luffy, Zoro and Sanji can. I think it would make for quite a fun character arc (as it was in the manga) to see him slowly grasp where his true strengths lie and that he's an enormous asset to the crew in other ways.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I was verrrry skeptical about the idea of adapting something so cartoony to live action, but watched the first episode after hearing good word of mouth and I surprisingly didn’t hate it. Some of the changes rock, like putting Nami in earlier. And I love the writing and actor for Zoro! He’s crushing it.

I’m pretty optimistic for the rest, although I have no idea how someone unfamiliar with One Piece would feel. It’s weird they have some of Luffy’s childhood in ep 1 when they didn’t get to any lessons learned, and he feels like he’s missing character moments that will explain why anyone wants to join his crew. I would have traded those flashbacks for more explicit corruption from Morgan, personally, but maybe it’s clear enough? :shrug:

For people further into the show, are there chronological reveal changes other than finding out early information about Garp? My partner is currently reading the manga for the first time with me and we’ve just reached Drum Island.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

kaom posted:

I was verrrry skeptical about the idea of adapting something so cartoony to live action, but watched the first episode after hearing good word of mouth and I surprisingly didn’t hate it. Some of the changes rock, like putting Nami in earlier. And I love the writing and actor for Zoro! He’s crushing it.

I’m pretty optimistic for the rest, although I have no idea how someone unfamiliar with One Piece would feel. It’s weird they have some of Luffy’s childhood in ep 1 when they didn’t get to any lessons learned, and he feels like he’s missing character moments that will explain why anyone wants to join his crew. I would have traded those flashbacks for more explicit corruption from Morgan, personally, but maybe it’s clear enough? :shrug:

For people further into the show, are there chronological reveal changes other than finding out early information about Garp? My partner is currently reading the manga for the first time with me and we’ve just reached Drum Island.

I basically expected to hate this given how other anime adaptations have gone, but the show is very good. It's different than the source material in some big ways but it all works and hits the same beats. I think almost all the major characters, and some minor ones (shout out to Zeff) were well cast and seem to really get the core of the characters they're portraying. I'm fully on board now.

There are some references in the show that come up that people who have read the manga/watched the anime will appreciate, but nothing as overt as the Garp stuff. Mostly references to characters who will show up later and have big roles. That's the major departure but it works very well to be honest. There's also some totally new stuff with Koby and Helmeppo that I really liked.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 7, 2023

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er

SgtSteel91 posted:

Yo I actually had this exact thought when I was falling asleep last night in all honesty and drat I hope you're right. I feel like we're get some,,, uncanny valley cgi monster 🫣

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
If they can pull off an adorable Chopper puppet, they could have their very own Grogu money-printing machine.

The wide angle shots are a little distracting, but my guess is that they’re trying to replicate the exaggerated angles in Oda’s art. I’m not saying it always works, but maybe that’s what they were going for?

Really enjoying the show so far! It’s great that they have so many practical sets and props. The costumes are good and I’m liking the cast.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1699876973152026757?s=46

So we do have a season 2… but until Studios loving pay writers and actors we’re not getting it

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Good to see it’s exceeding expectations though. That bodes well.

And yeah, happy to wait on my magical pirate adventure show until they pay everyone their fair share.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's not confirmed yet but considering positive noises from both the Netflix co-CEO and the execs at Tomorrow Studios it seems incredibly likely.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hell yeah let's go muppet chopper

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

hell yeah let's go muppet chopper

If they do muppet Chopper, I want them to commit and do muppet Chopper for each of his forms. Give us a blue-nosed modified Sweetums for man form.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Chopper needs to be a muppet unless it's detective pikachu level and style cg and not a hair less

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

HPanda posted:

If they do muppet Chopper, I want them to commit and do muppet Chopper for each of his forms. Give us a blue-nosed modified Sweetums for man form.

The only wrong way to do Chopper is to do Chopper only one way.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Gyges posted:

The only wrong way to do Chopper is to do Chopper only one way.

Chopper as a sock puppet controlled by different crew members at different times. Played completely seriously.

Edit: gently caress it, no, I see your point now. I would watch the poo poo out of that.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

doing chopper multiple ways would be good precedent for luffy too

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Chopper will be represented by multiple cardboard cutouts.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
he'll just be a regular guy with a blue nose and a reindeer hat

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Jamwad Hilder posted:

he'll just be a regular guy with a blue nose and a reindeer hat

I would be pretty surprised if they don't have Chopper mostly in his human form with some prosthetics ala the Fishmen to make him seem somewhat inhuman, and only occasionally in chibi form using a kid in prosthetics, CGI, a puppet or whatever. Alternatively, they go the Fakehats route, and Chopper is just a regular reindeer they put some VA lines over whenever he speaks.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
They’re just going to hire a real tanuki.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Use a thunderbolt fantasy style marionette puppet

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

tsob posted:

I would be pretty surprised if they don't have Chopper mostly in his human form with some prosthetics ala the Fishmen to make him seem somewhat inhuman, and only occasionally in chibi form using a kid in prosthetics, CGI, a puppet or whatever. Alternatively, they go the Fakehats route, and Chopper is just a regular reindeer they put some VA lines over whenever he speaks.

Put some peanut butter in its mouth to make it look like it's talking like back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HPanda posted:

And yeah, happy to wait on my magical pirate adventure show until they pay everyone their fair share.

:hai: