Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Bottom Liner posted:

Same company that had to kill off a successful game because they lost the algorithm that made the decks

Didn't they get hacked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

CitizenKeen posted:

Didn't they get hacked?

One of the rumors was that it was ransomware and they refused to pay up. Another was intentional sabotage, which the extra layer that maybe that employee jumped ship to Petersen's new company that also bought the license and re-released the game with new stuff.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

As far as drafting I think it's good depending on the format. I'm a big fan of "make the best of the hand you're dealt" but that only works in some situations in MTG and a group of people making the best of a larger pool of cards while trying to avoid getting their toes stepped on is interesting (if too much for my tastes a lot of the time). A board game with limited actions you're drafting each round (Inis for example you know somebody's going to attack but don't know who) makes for an interesting decision space, but one with way too many cards that uses drafting as a crutch to offset it would be better tightening things up (Terraforming Mars).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I wonder how much of the drafting feel you could catch in a board game/lcg? Half the fun of drafting is that you get to keep the cards... maybe some form of reverse legacy game? An LCG box set where when you open it up all the cards are split into a few identical starter decks and 30-odd unlabelled booster packs, everyone keeps "their" cards separate after each draft for constructed play sessions, and when you finish opening them all you have a standard complete LCG with a set cardlist.

If done right you could even start over with differently randomised packs, like if there's three types of cards and each pack is supposed to contain 3 type A, 3 type B, and 2 type C cards but you can mix and match them however.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 6, 2023

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

The Great Card Heist is somehow even loving dumber than you can possibly guess.

These geniuses attempted to cover their tracks by changing their profile names on the GenCon website, did everything on camera, and appear to have attempted to perform the same or similar crime elsewhere at the same time to maximize their potential paydayexposure. Then they attempted to weasel out of it by either actually coercing someone, or my guess is pretending to have been coerced themselves, getting a paltry $4k for their trouble (if they aren't making that part up to try to deflect blame).

The only thing they did right is figuring they could stroll into private areas of the convention center without being questioned too much.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 7, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Ashriel Lockheart

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Splicer posted:

Ashriel Lockheart

OC do not steal

wait gently caress

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
You're leaving out the part where apparently the cards were found alongside stolen D&D books, indicating that these stable geniuses were trying this at many different booths.

EDIT: That detail was in the Polygon article on the arrests: https://www-polygon-com.cdn.ampproj...y-theft-charges

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 7, 2023

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Anonymous Zebra posted:

You're leaving out the part where apparently the cards were found alongside stolen D&D books, indicating that these stable geniuses were trying this at many different booths.

EDIT: That detail was in the Polygon article on the arrests: https://www-polygon-com.cdn.ampproj...y-theft-charges

lol loving Christmas, I wasn't sure if they unloaded the whole pallet for $4k based on the other article. Astounding.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
"We're gonna get rich off this heist, boys, we're making 2 cents on the dollar! Easy street from here on out!"

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Every aspect of this crime has honestly confused me from the moment it was first mentioned in the GenCon thread. There's no loving way to unload 300k of MtG cards without anyone noticing because no gaming store is going to buy that inventory and risk their entire business if the cards get tracked to them, which means you need to sell it to individuals each of whom is someone that will potentially just turn you in when you make contact with them. And all of that is before you realize that this wasn't just two random dudes, but a pair who were known members of a community that is very small and insular, and they committed their crime wearing the goddamn t-shirts for their own game! I originally thought it was just two guys making a snap decision, but the new story is that they were trying to steal from multiple booths, so apparently they just showed up to GenCon to steal literally the hardest poo poo to fence in the world?!

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Splicer posted:

Ashriel Lockheart

Picturing Asriel from Undertale but his aspirational super-cool playground OC transformation sequence is just putting on Tifa’s gloves and tiny shorts and doing whooshing kick-punch noises. Honestly this sounds completely in-character, come to think of it.

Seriously though, how did these doofuses write up this whole heist and at no point consider the existence of cameras? It’s genuinely baffling.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

"You're not supposed to start another Kickstarter campaign until after you've delivered on all outstanding campaigns" they said. "Okay, we'll source funds another way" we said. "No, not like that" they said.

There's just no pleasing today's entitled gamers! :shrug:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bottom Liner posted:

OC do not steal

wait gently caress
Actual lol

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Splicer posted:

I wonder how much of the drafting feel you could catch in a board game/lcg? Half the fun of drafting is that you get to keep the cards...

That's actually my least favourite part of MTG drafting. I hate seeing a card that's great for my deck alongside a card worth 5 times as much in ££ and find it deeply unfun making draft picks along that axis

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tarnop posted:

That's actually my least favourite part of MTG drafting. I hate seeing a card that's great for my deck alongside a card worth 5 times as much in ££ and find it deeply unfun making draft picks along that axis
"This cool thing actually sucks because capitalism" applies to pretty much everything yes.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Every aspect of this crime has honestly confused me from the moment it was first mentioned in the GenCon thread. There's no loving way to unload 300k of MtG cards without anyone noticing because no gaming store is going to buy that inventory and risk their entire business if the cards get tracked to them, which means you need to sell it to individuals each of whom is someone that will potentially just turn you in when you make contact with them.

Here's the thing, it's laughably easy to offload 300k of cards if you're patient. They stole a pallet of product, while it's a lot, it doesn't take up THAT much space, and thanks to ebay and online sellers like TCGPlayer, it would be simple to sell off the stolen cards just doing it a box or case every few weeks or so, and sell them slighly below current market value. Sure it takes time, but we've made it laughable easy to offload stolen boxes and cases. Or if they're sets with expensive cards, just crack the packs and flip the singles.

Wearing shirts with your own company logo, though? loving moronic. I mean, you're at a gaming convention, just throw on a MtG shirt or something, not a giant "Start here for easy mode!" sign.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Randalor posted:

Here's the thing, it's laughably easy to offload 300k of cards if you're patient. They stole a pallet of product, while it's a lot, it doesn't take up THAT much space, and thanks to ebay and online sellers like TCGPlayer, it would be simple to sell off the stolen cards just doing it a box or case every few weeks or so, and sell them slighly below current market value. Sure it takes time, but we've made it laughable easy to offload stolen boxes and cases. Or if they're sets with expensive cards, just crack the packs and flip the singles.

Wearing shirts with your own company logo, though? loving moronic. I mean, you're at a gaming convention, just throw on a MtG shirt or something, not a giant "Start here for easy mode!" sign.
My "Not registered as Ashriel Lockheart" t-shirt has people making a lot of accusations already refuted by my shirt.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 7, 2023

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Randalor posted:

Stealing D&D books to sell sounds like a waste, too. Like yeah you can eventually offload them, I assume, but they're not like a blazing hot item.

Man, it's hard to resist the impulse to go "Man if I was going to boost a pallet of Magic cards at Gencon here's what I'd do." Like ultimately the answer is "don't steal at GenCon" because it's way easier to steal boxes of MtG boosters in shipping transit or steal them out of a Target, but it's still hilarious how badly The Great Gencon Caper was executed.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I assumed it was a crime of opportunity but no, they chose to wear their own merch while doing planned felonies.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Anonymous Zebra posted:

There's no loving way to unload 300k of MtG cards without anyone noticing

This part, at least is incredibly false. Not all at once, but over the span of a couple of months, this would be trivial.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Keyforge getting hacked/whatever and beginning to pick upstream right as covid hit sucked.

Legitimately one of the best card game experiences I've hasa really nice back and forth, and it dodges the issue the magic has where some rich nerds spend $500 to net-deck and win a bunch of events.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
This had to have been a crime of opportunity, right? No one who thought about this for more than fifteen seconds would have come up with a plan this dumb.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Froghammer posted:

This had to have been a crime of opportunity, right? No one who thought about this for more than fifteen seconds would have come up with a plan this dumb.

it was done by goldfish, very planning-intensive.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

LongDarkNight posted:

I assumed it was a crime of opportunity but no, they chose to wear their own merch while doing planned felonies.

It's just... when you first hear "Some people stole $300,000 of Magic cards at Gencon", your first instinct is "Well, those are gone, hope the vendor had insurance", then as more and more information leaks out... I honestly want to know how the plan reached this point, because let's be honest here, a spur-of-the-moment crime had an infinitely better chance of succeeding than this had. This has to be some hilariously dumb attempt at guerrilla advertising their dead game... right? Some sort of "any attention is good attention" plot?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Seems like they noticed that lots of vendors leave their stuff sitting around at Gencon without watching it 24/7, and that security (checking peoples' badges to move around, etc.) is pretty lax, and then they had A Very Bright Idea.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Honestly looking forward to whatever public statements they make in defense of their actions, either trying to explain away their crimes or admitting they're actually just as loving smart as cardboard boxes with faces drawn on them.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

That Old Tree posted:

Honestly looking forward to whatever public statements they make in defense of their actions, either trying to explain away their crimes or admitting they're actually just as loving smart as cardboard boxes with faces drawn on them.

They did crimes. They'd have to be stupider than cardboard boxes to make a public statement.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

admanb posted:

They did crimes. They'd have to be stupider than cardboard boxes to make a public statement.

Well, first, 50-50 on that, but I just meant like during trial or, more likely, post-conviction following plea bargain. Though I've never even heard of these guys before, now that they're really in the public eye what little I know of them suggests they won't have the good sense to refrain from making public protest of their at this point national reputation as dunce criminals. Even if they are at least marginally smart enough to stay quiet while a lawyer is actively telling them to shut up and only blab after the legal vicissitudes conclude.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

That Old Tree posted:

Well, first, 50-50 on that, but I just meant like during trial or, more likely, post-conviction following plea bargain. Though I've never even heard of these guys before, now that they're really in the public eye what little I know of them suggests they won't have the good sense to refrain from making public protest of their at this point national reputation as dunce criminals. Even if they are at least marginally smart enough to stay quiet while a lawyer is actively telling them to shut up and only blab after the legal vicissitudes conclude.

It'd be kinda sick if they rolled out of their sentencing, said "lmao gently caress wotc", threw up two middle fingers, and left in handcuffs.

I think they could get a lot more people on their side then with an insincere "we were desperate and dumb we deeply apologize to wotc and the community blah blah blah."

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

admanb posted:

It'd be kinda sick if they rolled out of their sentencing, said "lmao gently caress wotc", threw up two middle fingers, and left in handcuffs.

I think they could get a lot more people on their side then with an insincere "we were desperate and dumb we deeply apologize to wotc and the community blah blah blah."

Isn't showing zero remorse and being really smug about a crime really bad optically to the people who might grant you an early release?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Isn't showing zero remorse and being really smug about a crime really bad optically to the people who might grant you an early release?

Depends on how mad the judge is about Secret Lairs.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

yeah but if we're talking about things stupid people would do there's poo poo that rules and poo poo that's lame

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

admanb posted:

This didn't have anything to do with WotC any more than stealing a bunch of cokes from WalMart has to do with Coca Cola Inc.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

How do theft mechanics work in their Kickstarter game? That’s the real question.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Paladin posted:

How do theft mechanics work in their Kickstarter game? That’s the real question.

It's more of a LARP.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Just so y’all know, Far West apparently came out, just over twelve years exactly from its Kickstarter.

Anyway I really want to know how these dudes imagined this going.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I refuse to believe that.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
even the April fools jokes are late

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

Just so y’all know, Far West apparently came out, just over twelve years exactly from its Kickstarter.

Anyway I really want to know how these dudes imagined this going.

Apparently something is to be sent out 'this week' so Sharka still has a chance to blow another deadline!