Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Disney wars is basically a vision of a two tier society, where those who have a found family are able to self actualize and everyone else is chattel to be chewed up in a star war at a whim. An outre vision of life as a desperate attempt to be a main character or make friends with one

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Giant Tourtiere posted:

I think they're doing ok with this honestly; you do have to realize that this is a bang-zoom adventure story at some point and that stuff needs to happen and sometimes they just want a neat looking scene. Like, yeah arguably maybe Ahsoka should have just cleaved the Inquisitor (and man am I glad that there was not some stupid-rear end omg twist look who is under the mask!!) in half in 2 seconds but that just doesn't make for a very exciting watch.

Two of the most famous fictional samurai duels on video last like 2 seconds each! And are way more badass than anything on this show so far!

poo poo, they even had a visual of the character's... innards... flying out of him!

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

pik_d posted:

I don't fully remember how the Nighsister magicks work, but if their resurrected people die, can they resurrect them again? Obviously not Marrok since they left his body behind.

I dont think that dude actually had a body, just pop his soul in another suit of armor I guess

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I saw a clip from visions and those duels kinda own and I need to watch visions already.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

HootTheOwl posted:

Happily ever after doesn't make for good stories

The compromise of course is that we didn't need happiness ever after but at least for a little while. I don't know how old Ben Solo was at Luke's academy but we'll say there was around 20 years post-OT before things truly went to poo poo and our favourite heroes from the OT got poo poo on. Disney could have skipped past the lives of the OT crew and started new movies more in the future but they didn't so there's clearly no happily ever after and now all the stuff that's come out about even that 20-year period of relative peacemakes it seem lovely as well.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 6, 2023

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
the grand galactic empire lasted a total of like 20 years.

If you were born on empire day you couldn't drink to celebrate the day the empire fell lol.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dexo posted:

the grand galactic empire lasted a total of like 20 years.

If you were born on empire day you couldn't drink to celebrate the day the empire fell lol.

You would deny a drink to a veteran of mimban?
To Luke Skywalker? Jedi Master?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

HootTheOwl posted:

Happily ever after doesn't make for good stories

Star Wars seems to be in in one of those phases like the Hundred Years Wars where a few generations fight the same war with a slightly different name for their part. Anakin fought in the Seven Years War, Luke in Revolution, and Kylo Ren for Napoleon.

France has been a thing for 1036 years. They've been at war, in one form or another, for 1009 of those years. If anything, endless linked wars is realistic. They never really even got a 20 year break.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The real problem is that we all know the real motivation for the state of the galaxy is that Disney wanted to restore the rebels vs Empire status quo as soon as possible (because god forbid the new movies have an idea not in the Original Trilogy) which is why the New Republic is so lovely, why the First Order is so meteorically powerful, etc.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
tbh with the prequels evoking the Bush presidency and Iraq War, and the sequels pulling in MAGA and neonazi elements, I really don't mind the New Republic years evoking the ineffectual neoliberal Obama years, during which the neonazis rise and nodoby in the government cares enough to do anything about it. It's, y'know, like poetry.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

loving loved the new episode. I don't have much to add that other people haven't, but just wanted to add another to the "hell yes" column before what I'm about to say (though I'm sure I'll have more to say later).

Baronjutter posted:

Things I don't like.
-I guess it has to be this way due to the corner the disney movies wrote the universe into with the new , but the new republic is just pants on head stupid and incompetent. But not in a believable way, it's like how a little kid would write "stupid coward politician". Less of a problem with the show and more the direction disney decided to take the setting.

This is the only thing I universally dislike about all of the post-ROTJ Disney Star Wars shows. The New Republic is aggressively stupid. People say that the New Republic being wiped out in The Force Awakens makes the OT pointless, but I disagree. I think the New Republic being an absolute shitshow makes the OT pointless. They fought to take down the Empire for...this to take its place? That kinda sucks.

The old EU New Republic had its problems and struggles, but they were always striving towards a better common goal, even if disagreements and red tape got in the way. Borsk Fey'lya, the EU's worst rear end in a top hat, was still trying to fight for his people, the Bothans, and secure their place in that New Republic. This New Republic couldn't manage a Baskin Robbins.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Also, while.the New Republic sucks, we *saw* what Lothal was like under the Empire to make a direct comparison. Direct fascism where your friends and family are constantly killed around you is still worse than incompetent bureaucracy where it is kind of garbage, for most people.

Better to have that empty highway leading out if a city that's doing okay, as opposed to one leading out of a city with constant walker patrols, curfews, and towns being burned up weekly.

"They didn't accomplish anything" is a bit of a weird take when we have a 1-1 comparison, including using Clancy Browns character as a bridge to someone else from the city who we saw pre and post Jedi.

Also, yeah, the uselessness of the Democratic Party post Bush does paint a perfect picture for how a new republic of liberals would pretty much run.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Isometric Bacon posted:

I wonder if they took the wrong message from Andor, where it was praised for its slower placing and tried to implement it into the show.

andor wasn't praised for being slow, it was praised for being good

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Darko posted:

Also, while.the New Republic sucks, we *saw* what Lothal was like under the Empire to make a direct comparison. Direct fascism where your friends and family are constantly killed around you is still worse than incompetent bureaucracy where it is kind of garbage, for most people.

Better to have that empty highway leading out if a city that's doing okay, as opposed to one leading out of a city with constant walker patrols, curfews, and towns being burned up weekly.

"They didn't accomplish anything" is a bit of a weird take when we have a 1-1 comparison, including using Clancy Browns character as a bridge to someone else from the city who we saw pre and post Jedi.

Also, yeah, the uselessness of the Democratic Party post Bush does paint a perfect picture for how a new republic of liberals would pretty much run.

This is definitely true, but it's weird that Star Wars, of all things, decided to say the Rebels accomplished going from ABSOLUTE FACISM to Office Space. It's a choice, but an odd one.

Though I guess Andor showed a bit of Office Space culture already existing in the Empire. Which was also a choice. Yay, mundanity in my Star Wars?

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 6, 2023

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Gotta hand it to the showrunners though, I don't think anybody called Marrok being a space magic smoke monster

maybealabia posted:

Marrok is actually an empty suit of armor powered by night sisters magick

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

God drat. Way to go.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Lobok posted:

The compromise of course is that we didn't need happiness ever after but at least for a little while. I don't know how old Ben Solo was at Luke's academy but we'll say there was around 20 years post-OT before things truly went to poo poo and our favourite heroes from the OT got poo poo on. Disney could have skipped past the lives of the OT crew and started new movies more in the future but they didn't so there's clearly no happily ever after and now all the stuff that's come out about even that 20-year period of relative peacemakes it seem lovely as well.

I think the sequel series should have been like 75/25 OT cast/new cast for 7, 50/50 for 8, and 25/75 for 9 with the OT cast dying or retiring. Ease everyone into the new core of characters with a passing of the torch. Then you do what 7, 8, and 9 did.

mycot posted:

The real problem is that we all know the real motivation for the state of the galaxy is that Disney wanted to restore the rebels vs Empire status quo as soon as possible (because god forbid the new movies have an idea not in the Original Trilogy) which is why the New Republic is so lovely, why the First Order is so meteorically powerful, etc.

I had thought that the sequel trilogy setting would have worked well as a cold war trilogy. The rebels were victorious on Endor. Darth Vader and the Emperor are dead. Then it could have been a few years of warlords and infighting in the Empire, but by the time of the sequels they would have gotten things under control. The New Republic would have majority control of the galaxy, but their fleet and army would be stretched thin defending it. The Empire meanwhile would have still a number of core systems under control but a very reduced fleet and army. The NR could attack but it would leave room for the Empire to strike elsewhere. Meanwhile the Empire could attack as well but it would mean they would lose ships they could not replace so everything is in a stalemate.

In the NR government you have a few different factions vying for control and in turn weakening the NR. There is the original rebels faction made up of worlds that threw in support early on and look down on the faction of worlds that willingly joined after Endor. The third faction would be Imperial worlds that had to be conquered by force. While they are part of the NR and arent actively plotting to over throw the NR, if given the chance they would willingly jump back to Imperial control. While I'm not a creative person this scenario seems far better than what they shat out.

As for this series and beyond. I really hope that when they bring back Thrawn he just kind of laughs in their face and wants nothing to do with the lovely first order. Then after the sequel trilogy he is the one that more or less picks up the pieces of the galaxy and puts it all back together and brings peace finally. But I doubt they will try to redeem him in any fashion.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Sash! posted:

France has been a thing for 1036 years. They've been at war, in one form or another, for 1009 of those years. If anything, endless linked wars is realistic. They never really even got a 20 year break.

:stare:

Well drat, when you put it like that...

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Say what you will about hux (ginger, cringe) but presumably he and thrawn would have a lot to talk about. The two most brilliant space strategists of the age

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

exmarx posted:

andor wasn't praised for being slow, it was praised for being good

This is something no producer can ever figure out. There will be a really good show about, I don't know, carving pumpkins. The pumpkin carving is central to the plot, but its good because its amazingly written and has fantastic characters and interesting direction. Studios then go "woah, pumpkin carving is big, pump out some shows with pumpkins in them!" and they'll end up being trash and not popular and they'll determine "Looks like audiences got sick of pumpkins!"

Audiences just want good poo poo. Make the thing good, instead of bad.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!

Baronjutter posted:

This is something no producer can ever figure out. There will be a really good show about, I don't know, carving pumpkins. The pumpkin carving is central to the plot, but its good because its amazingly written and has fantastic characters and interesting direction. Studios then go "woah, pumpkin carving is big, pump out some shows with pumpkins in them!" and they'll end up being trash and not popular and they'll determine "Looks like audiences got sick of pumpkins!"

Audiences just want good poo poo. Make the thing good, instead of bad.

Sometimes this will even happen within a single series by showrunners/producers who don't understand their own show! See The Mandalorian.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Baronjutter posted:

-I just don't find modern star wars jedi interesting. They're not wise old samurai with subtle magic powers, they're just totally unstoppable marvel superheroes. They've decided that a jedi is 100% untouchable by blasters, rather than it being a neat trick they can sometimes do in certain situations when facing a single opponent. Doesn't matter how many opponents or how many directions they're firing, they all choose to aim at the light saber. Maybe it's some target-fixation jedi mind trick. Their powers also seem to come and go and drastically change based on what the writers want in that scene. There's no consistency, which makes me feel there's no stakes in any battle.

The blaster thing is a pet peeve of mine, actually, and I think it comes from how they do their special effects. It's supposed to be that the Jedi can sense the blaster bolt and move the lightsaber to deflect it, (or maybe the Force does it for them on autopilot?) and if you watch Ray Stevenson, he's specifically jerking his saber around to deflect them, and it looks pretty cool. But I think most of the time, the actors aren't doing it purposely like that (or aren't given specific-enough direction like "slice down with the lightsaber, then bring it up and to the left for a second to block a bullet") and so they send it to the ILM team who just CGIs in whatever random lasers that just intersect with the saber anywhere it happens to be.

e: also yeah, the thing with the powers is a problem in the Mandalorian too -- you never had any idea of when a situation is totally unwinnable or if all they need to do is just do some cool protagonist stuff and beat everyone easily.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 6, 2023

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Phenotype posted:

It's supposed to be that the Jedi can sense the blaster bolt and move the lightsaber to deflect it

In A New Hope, when Luke "gets it" he's moving his lightsaber before the drone shoots.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Yeah, cause the Force is letting him sense it or whatever. The point is that they're supposed to have to actively block the lasers, but the CGI shortcut is that they're doing whatever cool sword swings and there are just lasers randomly bouncing into the beam.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Eh if you're prescient and smooth enough with your motions it will just look that way

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Personally, I think the Ahsoka show is good

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Oh I misread. Yeah what Baylan is doing is a lot better than whatever they're doing in the prequels. Also I don't have the sense Jedi are superheroes immune to blasters. A bunch died to blasters in Episode 2, one in Clone Wars, and of course Order 66. Main character Jedi are basically unstoppable, but that's more because of main character plot armor not Jedi superpower armor.

Snowmanatee fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 7, 2023

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

If any of you have a burning desire for a 3.75”-scale toy Ghost spaceship toy for half a grand, you have a little over 4 hours to get one.

https://hasbropulse.com/collections/haslab/products/star-wars-the-vintage-collection-the-ghost

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Looks like they blew past the 17k backers requirement for the final unlock after all, huh.

If nothing else it's a cool $10 million or so in revenue for them. Wonder how much it all costs to manufacture and what not.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I couldn't help but laugh at ahsoka holding her lightsaber like this

"I see your Schwartz is as big as mine"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Going back to the idiotic child soldier crap

It’s fun to be a kid and see kids a bit older than you go on adventures and murder the poo poo out of bad guys.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

TIP posted:

I couldn't help but laugh at ahsoka holding her lightsaber like this

"I see your Schwartz is as big as mine"

I mean,

She is the top

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
You know in the old EU luke's disembodied spirit possessed EU jacen to fight with a lightsaber and why cant kanan do that with his son

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

No Mods No Masters posted:

Disney wars is basically a vision of a two tier society, where those who have a found family are able to self actualize and everyone else is chattel to be chewed up in a star war at a whim. An outre vision of life as a desperate attempt to be a main character or make friends with one

My dude in Bryce, society is not punishing you for being single.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Found families kick rear end

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Snowmanatee posted:

Oh I misread. Yeah what Baylan is doing is a lot better than whatever they're doing in the prequels. Also I don't have the sense Jedi are superheroes immune to blasters. A bunch died to blasters in Episode 2, one in Clone Wars, and of course Order 66. Main character Jedi are basically unstoppable, but that's more because of main character plot armor not Jedi superpower armor.

The animated shows do this, and it kooks like this, at least, is carrying it over. Obi Wan was the worst offender for this as you could tell there was some rush and they just said "swing whatever and we'll just post it in "

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

DurosKlav posted:

I had thought that the sequel trilogy setting would have worked well as a cold war trilogy. The rebels were victorious on Endor. Darth Vader and the Emperor are dead. Then it could have been a few years of warlords and infighting in the Empire, but by the time of the sequels they would have gotten things under control. The New Republic would have majority control of the galaxy, but their fleet and army would be stretched thin defending it. The Empire meanwhile would have still a number of core systems under control but a very reduced fleet and army. The NR could attack but it would leave room for the Empire to strike elsewhere. Meanwhile the Empire could attack as well but it would mean they would lose ships they could not replace so everything is in a stalemate.

This is my dream for a redone ST. You've got a hawkish NR faction, a peace-oriented one, an Imperial faction that is sick of all the weird Sith magic poo poo and just wants to be the Wehrmacht ("Alderaan was a terrible mistake, but we can't tear down our statues of Grand Moff Tarkin!"), some Imperials who are waaaay too into the Sith magic poo poo, a couple other groups like a resurgent Trade Federation or the Galactic Chamber of Commerce, all in an extremely fragile peace. Then in the first movie it all goes to poo poo. You could have X-wings fighting X-wings, veteran rebels brokering uneasy alliances with Imperial warlords against the New Republic...

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's not conveyed very well, as with everything else, but the character has pretty much just bluntly stated that the Republic was poo poo, the Empire was poo poo, and the New Republic is even more poo poo. His goal is purely to destroy the New Republic, but also to eventually take out the remaining Imperials so that the galaxy might finally be liberated from this nonsense.

Notably, these folks are (in keeping with filoni's love of wolves) named after the children of Fenrir that chase the sun and moon across the sky and will devour them during Ragnarok. And given that Ragnarok is both the destruction of the old order and the creation of a new one, that fits.

in a shocking change of pace, i'm annoyed that we have a star wars show that isn't about the dipshits with lightsabers, because these guys are way more interesting than thrawn

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

feedmyleg posted:

tbh with the prequels evoking the Bush presidency and Iraq War, and the sequels pulling in MAGA and neonazi elements, I really don't mind the New Republic years evoking the ineffectual neoliberal Obama years, during which the neonazis rise and nodoby in the government cares enough to do anything about it. It's, y'know, like poetry.

A shambling ineffective neoliberal government being puppeteered by the same crypto fascist cult of personality government it supposedly replaced? Where do they come up with this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
they need to have Representative Wikket (appointed by Leia to serve as her understudy) vote to give Chancellor Fey'l'ya emergency powers