Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Having read all the books now my curiosity is why doesn’t Mat have any memories of the second age? I think it would have been neat if he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Joementum posted:

Having read all the books now my curiosity is why doesn’t Mat have any memories of the second age? I think it would have been neat if he did.

Presumably the doorway to the foxes didn't exist then, or at least the people then knew better than to go through it or make any deals, so no one was getting their memories ate up until after the breaking.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Joementum posted:

Despite existing during the Age of Legends (or else how did the Aiel bring one to Rhuidean during the Breaking) there presumably wasn't a huge opportunity for war-interested visitors to enter into the Aelfinn and Eelfinn realms. There was like 100ish years between Bore-opening and the Breaking, but the War of Power was only the last 10 years. Compared to Mat's memories, which span something like 500 AB - 1000 AB, it's just a really narrow time frame.

It might also be related to his "the Gambler" soul but I don't remember if it's clarified if the memories he gets from the various generals are all tied to that soul or just all the dudes who visited the doorways.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's dudez who went through the doorway cause he has memories of both fighting in a battle and dying on the other side of the same battle.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

drat how many dudes were they sending through the frickin doorways during those years, then. Maybe the "twisted doorway" is actually a turnstile.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I didn’t get the sense that all the people he remembered had been through the doorways but I suppose that would explain it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That was absolutely the implication yeah.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Pleads posted:

Despite existing during the Age of Legends (or else how did the Aiel bring one to Rhuidean during the Breaking) there presumably wasn't a huge opportunity for war-interested visitors to enter into the Aelfinn and Eelfinn realms. There was like 100ish years between Bore-opening and the Breaking, but the War of Power was only the last 10 years. Compared to Mat's memories, which span something like 500 AB - 1000 AB, it's just a really narrow time frame.

It might also be related to his "the Gambler" soul but I don't remember if it's clarified if the memories he gets from the various generals are all tied to that soul or just all the dudes who visited the doorways.

It was during the free years, after the Trolloc Wars and up to the point where Artur swept the continent. The 500-1000 After Breaking time period was relatively peaceful so wouldn't have had the military generals that the free years had.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

DTurtle posted:

I am completely fine - though admittedly extremely surprised - with so many people missing it. And yes, I am happy I caught that.

Yeah you've only posted this same sentiment like 4 times now. We get it that you're surprised but I don't think it's as big a deal as your dozen posts are making it out to be

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

I'm a big fan of how TV Rand actually has some agency about learning to channel. Book Rand basically muddled through before Lanfear got fed up with him and handed Asmodean to Rand on a silver platter.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yeah you've only posted this same sentiment like 4 times now. We get it that you're surprised but I don't think it's as big a deal as your dozen posts are making it out to be
If people hadn‘t kept on trying to go :actually: then I wouldn‘t have kept on having opportunities to shoot those bad takes down.

Ardlen posted:

I'm a big fan of how TV Rand actually has some agency about learning to channel. Book Rand basically muddled through before Lanfear got fed up with him and handed Asmodean to Rand on a silver platter.
Despite the scene with Logain being in a teaser, it still took me a while to figure out how deliberate and well-thought out his plan was (execution was a bit lacking with regards to almost killing the other care-taker).

I also liked how many other things they managed to bring up, address, communicate and hint at in those few scenes (street seller tossing him bread, sword training, Selene, Madness/taint, empathy for the downtrodden, etc.). I think his scenes (despite not being too flashy) are a master class of efficient storytelling.

vvv Same for you…

I mean, where would the internet be if bad takes would just be left standing for themselves without rebuttal?

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 7, 2023

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

DTurtle posted:

If people hadn‘t kept on trying to go :actually: then I wouldn‘t have kept on having opportunities to shoot those bad takes down.

You are aware you can just.... not, right?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

pik_d posted:

It was during the free years, after the Trolloc Wars and up to the point where Artur swept the continent. The 500-1000 After Breaking time period was relatively peaceful so wouldn't have had the military generals that the free years had.

Dang yeah that's the timeframe I meant and I just did not realize at all the AB/FY thing whatsoever :downs:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ardlen posted:

On a reread it's apparent how much work Rand did in getting Asmodean. Like he knew who he was from the jump and was muttering about needing to do a trap to get someone to teach him, nominally a Forsaken, from the jump, even pre-Rhuidean iirc.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Morrow posted:

My main issue with the Seanchan scene was Suroth's giant impractical throne, which was big enough for three people. Xerxes called and he's jealous. Yes, it neatly demonstrates that she's this unapproachable noble but it's a little odd to be lugging her around on the front lines like that.

Without the giant extravagant pyramid throne literally carried on the backs of 30 slaves, it might not be obvious enough to get through the loving neutronium level density brains of half the people posting in the thread that the seanchan are an empire of slavers.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I'm not even sure why folks are taking victory laps about tv show watchers missing things that book readers know from having them spelled out for them but TBB probably isn't the place for it.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

DTurtle posted:

In the books, don’t we only figure out what the Damane, Sul‘dam and A‘dam really are when/after Egwene is captured?
Sorta kinda? We definitely get a way more clear and exact explanation of the role of sul'dam and a'dam after Egwene is taken, and not the deep truths until they bust out Egwene. Prior to that though, Domon meets them first (in what I think is there first on screen appearance?) and it's made clear almost immediately that the damane are channeler slaves, and the Seanchan are nabbing more from the populace. (Slightly) Less blindingly obvious is that someone is holding the damane's leash and are the one in charge between the two, and the leash-braclet-collar combo are weird and them being magic was not a twist so much as "so that's what it does." On the other hand, the Domon/Seanchan chapter explaining that much is a big reveal after half a book of rumor mill buildup about stangers, Aes Sedai, and monsters loving around the west coast, so the show isn't necessarily wrong to not explain what's the deal here.

The show's bracer, top piece, and pacifier combo are still dumb as hell, and it's not a good sign for you that you were instinctively on that wavelength.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
[BOOK SPOILERS] Robert Jordan's Waste of Time -- How to Train Your Witch Slave

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

silvergoose posted:

That was absolutely the implication yeah.
I literally never figured this out :facepalm: Argh.
Given that he remembers a bunch of them dying, does that mean Aelfinn/Eelfinn when they harvest up peoples emotions/experiences, can harvest them without any regard to whether or not they've already happened in Randland-time?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Joementum posted:

The holes in his head were filled with the memories of generals and other warleaders. For most if the Second Age, war was a distant memory.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

El Grillo posted:

I literally never figured this out :facepalm: Argh.
Given that he remembers a bunch of them dying, does that mean Aelfinn/Eelfinn when they harvest up peoples emotions/experiences, can harvest them without any regard to whether or not they've already happened in Randland-time?

I think the implication is that the Finn establish a connection and can look into all the people who made deals with them, up to and including the moment of their death. So basically, once you go through the doorway, imagine the Finn having a wireless cam in your head, transmitting until it shuts down due to you biting it.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Torrannor posted:

I think the implication is that the Finn establish a connection and can look into all the people who made deals with them, up to and including the moment of their death. So basically, once you go through the doorway, imagine the Finn having a wireless cam in your head, transmitting until it shuts down due to you biting it.
I think Mat spells this theory out explicitly in Knife of Dreams.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah he explains it to Thom, Jain, and Olver iirc.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Been looking at the non spoiler thread and it's pretty clear that the new Moiraine/Lan plot seems to be the least liked part of the show. Hope that gets resolved soon and the show can move on from that

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

I’m excited to watch the new episode tonight :cheersdoge:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

buffalo all day posted:

I’m excited to watch the new episode tonight :cheersdoge:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I really hope we get the Age of Legends scene of the Sharom of Collam Daan collapsing when the bore is made, whether that comes in a Lanfear-specific episode or once(/if?) Rand reaches Rhuidean. The book description is so good and poignant and I wanna see it (from Lanfear's perspective is ok but I want that wide shot)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I think Rhuidean is the moment I've most anticipated for this show, I really, really hope they do it justice.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Torrannor posted:

I think Rhuidean is the moment I've most anticipated for this show, I really, really hope they do it justice.

I was looking forward to Mat tuning up Salad and Gawyn but now that dream is dead. Maybe Rand busting out the box is a close second?

If I'm being honest, I don't think the show will get to that point of the story (especially considering the strikes).

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

I need the show to last long enough to do Golden Crane, they can announce cancellation the same night it airs that's fine.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I want to see the flame of Tar Valon.

E: the weave not the symbol

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Hughmoris posted:

Mat tuning up Salad

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Arrinien posted:

I need the show to last long enough to do Golden Crane, they can announce cancellation the same night it airs that's fine.

I just need Dumai's Wells tbh

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just give me Lan vs Demandred and I'll be happy

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Rarity posted:

Nynaeve vs goth mommy Moghedien please

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Rarity posted:

Only if Lan is built up to be an actually good swordsman rather than getting the Worf treatment of “trust us he’s good even though he’s constantly getting chumped on-screen”.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Rarity posted:

Talmanes vs. the second Mydraal. Nothing beats a "Ha, I'm already dead rear end in a top hat, now I got nothing to do but take you with me" moment.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

seaborgium posted:

Talmanes vs. the second Mydraal. Nothing beats a "Ha, I'm already dead rear end in a top hat, now I got nothing to do but take you with me" moment.

Myrddraal. Just think of boobs, you've got the DDs and the AAs

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

pik_d posted:

Myrddraal. Just think of boobs, you've got the DDs and the AAs

This is exactly how RJ would want you to remember it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Is it pronounced like in Welsh?