Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Jo3sh posted:

I picked up an OGD114 myself this afternoon. I haven't tasted it yet, but even in the not-cheap place I picked it up, it seemed really reasonable at $38.

Man the price hikes are nuts. OGD114 used to be $25 all day everyday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Vox Nihili posted:

Man the price hikes are nuts. OGD114 used to be $25 all day everyday.

That price increase is why the juice didn’t get diluted and dressed up into Basil Hayden, I’m afraid.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I'm right across the river from KY in Cincinnati, but OGD 114 has been $30+ bucks here for years ($32ish). Didn't realize it was that low elsewhere. I typically assume bourbon is about as cheap as it gets here since we're so close to the source. KY is almost always cheaper than OH which is controlled by the state.

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007
I think it's around $30 here in Nashville, but funny story: I used to work at one of the liquor stores around here and they'd let their allocated stuff build up in the stockroom until it hit critical mass and then put it all out at once in a big old bourbon drop, usually about once a month. I went to their last one a couple weeks ago, and they had OGD114 in there, right in between the Wellers and the EH Taylors. That place had the weirdest policies.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I'm right across the river from KY in Cincinnati, but OGD 114 has been $30+ bucks here for years ($32ish). Didn't realize it was that low elsewhere. I typically assume bourbon is about as cheap as it gets here since we're so close to the source. KY is almost always cheaper than OH which is controlled by the state.

Weirdly enough we often get lower prices on bourbon out in California. OGD 114 has gone up in price here but it's still $29.99. Prices are mostly based on what they can get from consumers rather than the actual cost of stocking the product, so I assume OGD is just more popular in your area.

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007
Is there an easy way to check if a product/line is being distributed in a specific state? I know each one handles things differently, but it's tough to tell if the reason I can't find something is because none of the stores I check have it, or if it's just not available around here yet. I've been trying to find some of the Bardstown Origin BiB and it's not at any of the major stores in my area, but I've noticed it happen with other products, too: all the specialty Benchmark bourbons came out something like 2-3 years ago and I've never seen them in Tennessee, but when I was visiting NJ a little while back they were all over the place. I know that Origin only started coming out earlier this year, maybe I'm just looking for it too soon? I don't really know what the turnaround between something being "released" and when it actually hits shelves is, either.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I’ve gotta say, trying Wild Turkey Rare Breed Rye is solidifying a belief I’ve had for a while now, which is that when a whiskey reaches ubiquitous popularity, it has more to do with it being smooth than it being exceptional. This is of a piece with Four Roses Small Batch and Eagle Rare as far as just being sort of unremarkable, except that “unremarkable” at 117 proof is in itself an achievement.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Never had the rye version but the bourbon is solid.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

I’ve gotta say, trying Wild Turkey Rare Breed Rye is solidifying a belief I’ve had for a while now, which is that when a whiskey reaches ubiquitous popularity, it has more to do with it being smooth than it being exceptional. This is of a piece with Four Roses Small Batch and Eagle Rare as far as just being sort of unremarkable, except that “unremarkable” at 117 proof is in itself an achievement.

In my experience you don't get a whole lot of rye "pop" in the barely legal (51%) ryes, such as Wild Turkey. It ends up tasting very similar to bourbon. Not that that's an especially bad thing!

That said I am a big fan of anything Wild Turkey, though I do think the WT101 Rye is a much better value and brings along most of the Rare Breed Rye character.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Just got a bottle of Bardstown Origin series (the bottled in bond wheated bourbon, specifically), and it's really good. The stores around here scalp the poo poo out of anything remotely trendy, but this was on sale at exactly the $49.99 MSRP and that price is actually very fair. Like, I think everything I've tried that's cheaper is clearly worse, and anything obviously better is like $100+.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
End of an era. Knob Creek single barrel 9 year is finally $60 out here.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 12, 2023

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009
Finally won a lottery and got selected to buy George T Stagg at MSRP. Cannot wait to try it.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Koaxke posted:

Finally won a lottery and got selected to buy George T Stagg at MSRP. Cannot wait to try it.

Hell yeah, that’s awesome. I ran across a bottle in a bar a couple years ago and bought a pour (for $45, I think) and it remains one of the better bourbons I’ve had - up there with Van Winkle Lot B, the 2017 OF Birthday, and a 14yo Willett Family Estate.

Good on you for planning on cracking it open and drinking it instead of flipping it. What is MSRP on BTAC stuff? $199 or so?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
How does getting on a list for the good stuff usually work? If there’s 2-3 specific bourbon bottles that I’m looking for, can I sign up for those only?

My tastes are pretty pedestrian (Knob Creek Single Barrel, Balcones, Laws Cask Strength and Wild Turkey 101 currently on hand), but my brother is a huge bourbon nerd, and I’d love to have something special for when he comes over.

I’m in a pretty decent suburb of Denver, so imagine that there will be stores with allocations, but I just have absolutely no idea where to get started.

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007
If you're not in a state with a lottery, it'll probably vary from store to store, so your best bet is to just ask them. I got the opportunity to buy a bottle of George T. Stagg back in 2018 though a raffle at one of my local stores, but other places do loyalty programs, allocation drops, etc.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Lawen posted:

Hell yeah, that’s awesome. I ran across a bottle in a bar a couple years ago and bought a pour (for $45, I think) and it remains one of the better bourbons I’ve had - up there with Van Winkle Lot B, the 2017 OF Birthday, and a 14yo Willett Family Estate.

Good on you for planning on cracking it open and drinking it instead of flipping it. What is MSRP on BTAC stuff? $199 or so?

100-120ish depending on the state and distributor
Disregarding secondary/trade value (which is close to 1k) I'd say any at under 300 are worth buying these days (considering that's about the MSRP other distilleries put their annual LEs at)

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009

Lawen posted:

For the GTS it’s $100 here. My wife tried to convince me to flip it, but it’s one of those bottles I’ve always wanted to try so no way that’s happening. For rare things like this I can’t imagine I’d ever flip them to be honest unless I’m in dire straights. The closest I’ve come to flipping things is just picking up bottles knowing I’m going to trade them to people for other bottles I want.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I don't know what cookie they finally managed to land on my laptop, but practically every ad on Reddit for me now is a charity raffle for some collection of rare bourbon. Each ad a different, I'm sure totally existent charity.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ChatGPT, give me 100 brand names for bourbon

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've got a secret santa thing coming up, my santee has requested alcohol but he's in North Carolina. Seems like none of the normal delivery services can send liquor there, probably related to the state having ABC stores. Does anyone know how I could get alcohol to him since shipping it myself is illegal? I was going to get him a nice bottle of bourbon but this has me very confused.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've got a secret santa thing coming up, my santee has requested alcohol but he's in North Carolina. Seems like none of the normal delivery services can send liquor there, probably related to the state having ABC stores. Does anyone know how I could get alcohol to him since shipping it myself is illegal? I was going to get him a nice bottle of bourbon but this has me very confused.

Many categories of mail are sealed against postal inspection unless they get a warrant: https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Can-my-mail-be-opened

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'd still prefer not to break the law.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I don’t live there, but it doesn’t look like you can accomplish the twin goals of shipping liquor in NC and not breaking the law at the same time. You’ve gotta choose which one you care more about.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I think the only legal way around it is to use a courier licensed to deliver alcohol to a resident in NC; and the recipient has to be 21 and present to sign for it.

Try: https://drizly.com/alcohol-delivery/nc/re31

Your best bet is just to look for various vendors until you find one selling the brand you want to send. Good luck!

Red fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 15, 2023

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

You could look at local delivery from within North Carolina from a service like Drizly.

e:f;b

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It's okay if the law is stupid

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009
Good thing it’s not against the law to send someone artisanal olive oil via USPS if you catch my drift.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Muir posted:

You could look at local delivery from within North Carolina from a service like Drizly.

e:f;b

Seems like Drizly only delivers non-alcoholic beer there. I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to order a gift at their local ABC store but the ABC website is complete dogshit.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Seems like Drizly only delivers non-alcoholic beer there. I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to order a gift at their local ABC store but the ABC website is complete dogshit.

https://minibardelivery.com lets you pick a shop to deliver for each beverage. Try that.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh cool, that seems like it works.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

christ sometimes the dogshit piecemeal 18th century regulation of alcohol in this country bothers me sometimes

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Blue laws: the only way to keep the Catholics in line

Carillon
May 9, 2014

What a let down between the nose if the Glenfiddich 18 and it's taste. I feel like there's a great whisky in there if it wasn't so thin?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

One of the attendees from my whiskey tasting was super kind. He just came back from Thanksgiving at home in Nashville and brought me a bottle from his favorite distillery, Corsair. It happened to be a Dark Rye and while he didn’t know it, rye is my favorite kind of whiskey. And drat if this whiskey isn’t probably my new all time favorite. Thankfully he seems to have been wrong when he said they don’t ship to California!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Basil Hayden makes a dark rye that I thoroughly enjoyed and then never saw again.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
Are there any online retailers that are recommended? Local shops are okay but the general consensus is buy lots of bottle and then they’ll let you know when new bottles drop, but between a 1 year old and a stressful job, is there somewhere online that I can click and deliver without too much overage? I live in CA.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I buy a decent amount from Seelbachs, they have a pretty good selection of barrel picks across the whiskey spectrum and ship to CA, no games with allocations or anything like that.

Sharedpour is also around (and delivers to CA) but their selection isn't as good and they are less organized as a whole.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

$36 goddamn dollars for Rittenhouse :lmao:

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

What’s the best scotch for $50?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

RoastBeef posted:

$36 goddamn dollars for Rittenhouse :lmao:

It's a store pick
Still too expensive but that does at least justify a slightly higher price (maybe 30)