Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

ungulateman posted:

Notably, these folks are (in keeping with filoni's love of wolves) named after the children of Fenrir that chase the sun and moon across the sky and will devour them during Ragnarok. And given that Ragnarok is both the destruction of the old order and the creation of a new one, that fits.

in a shocking change of pace, i'm annoyed that we have a star wars show that isn't about the dipshits with lightsabers, because these guys are way more interesting than thrawn

I dunno, there's something funny about 2 lightsaber fallen monks, a witch, and a gas ghost building a giant super hyperdrive all to find a guy whose claim to fame is that he's a bit smarter than your average fascist dumbass that ran the Empire and had such great ideas as "let's build mechanical planets with freakin giant laser beams attached to them"

Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I think it's fair to say that Thrawn was probably much smarter than other empire leadership and was only short-sighted about the degree to which other goddamn admirals would massively gently caress up

That and not understanding the force and very much discounting it as a weird weapon

And I think it's safe to say he's learned from both of those situations

If you've never heard of him before he's just a macguffin though, could be a holocron or whatever, but you know he's important because all the characters without exception think he is

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Phenotype posted:

The blaster thing is a pet peeve of mine, actually, and I think it comes from how they do their special effects. It's supposed to be that the Jedi can sense the blaster bolt and move the lightsaber to deflect it, (or maybe the Force does it for them on autopilot?) and if you watch Ray Stevenson, he's specifically jerking his saber around to deflect them, and it looks pretty cool. But I think most of the time, the actors aren't doing it purposely like that (or aren't given specific-enough direction like "slice down with the lightsaber, then bring it up and to the left for a second to block a bullet") and so they send it to the ILM team who just CGIs in whatever random lasers that just intersect with the saber anywhere it happens to be.

I kind of posted something similar after the premiere:

Hazo posted:

The opening scene also does something cool with the lightsaber style by mimicking the fast jerky laser-blocking motions from cartoons and video games. Both Clone Wars and Rebels have the saber wielders yoinking their weapons and freezing into different poses to block individual blasts (as opposed to the PT where the Jedi extras were just told to wave their sticks around randomly and they'd add lasers in post), and I always thought it looked kind of dumb and unnatural. But that scene with Baylan marching down the hallway and doing those same kind of quick deliberate motions was pretty intimidating.

I'm guessing instead of using the clunky metal poles from the PT or the full-sized plastic glowsticks from the ST and Obi-Wan, they rotoscoped in blades over those foot-long short blades so the actors could move them more like a weightless piece of plasma.

I agree that it's probably Filoni bringing over his direction from the animated series where he had to actually plan out where characters would put their sabers to block blasters, as opposed to Lucas just lazily having extras wave around their sticks and making ILM add in whatever later on (this is literally what he did btw).

HootTheOwl posted:

Do Lightsabers have a length dial?

Rochallor posted:

IIRC this is how Corran Horn's lightsaber worked in Legends, it had a knob that could extend the blade out to like two meters but the blade was prone to shorting out and easy to break at that length.

So: Early materials like the Technical Journal and production drawings included stuff like "blade length" and "blade intensity" knobs on lightsaber schematics (usually Luke's or Vader's). The authors/illustrators were just completely making poo poo up so they could label the extraneous bits on the Graflex hilts with :techno:, and everyone just kind of went with it because it was never a plot point in the movies and super-intense nerd culture obsessed with every little thing hadn't really hit its stride yet:

(1983)

(1995)

Plus, sure, it seems reasonable that the wielder could make small adjustments to the blade length, akin to adjusting focus on a camera lens. But not anything crazy like turning a 40-inch blade into a 30-foot blade.

Then Kevin J Anderson came out with the Jedi Academy novels (1994) where a character (Gantoris) got advice from a Sith ghost and learned how to build a lightsaber with multiple crystals--thereafter known as a "dual-phase" lightsaber-- and the user could flip a switch and double the length of the blade. This was considered shocking and incredibly hard to do, which surprised Luke when Gantoris challenged him to a duel and tipped him off that this trainee was probably dabbling in the dark side a wee bit.

All that is now Legends, but there's still some stuff about dual-phase that survived into Canon with a few changes. The idea is now that the user literally twists the hilt and realigns the crystals to make the mega-blade. Vader's lightsaber is Canonically a dual-phase but we never see him do it so it's largely pointless.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Burning_Monk posted:

She isn't really ahabing, she straight up tells Sabine to destroy the map if they think they will lose it again.

If anything Sabine is going a little too hard for Ezra to the point she is now siding with the obvious villains who just moments before killed her other friend.

My read on that scene was that Sabine saw Ahsoka go over the cliff and was initially in "I better stall, she's going to come climbing or leaping back over the edge any second now" mode. Then the dark jedi guy is getting closer and closer and calling her bluff and she's realizing that a)Asoka is not coming back and b)this guy just beat Asoka, I have no chance against him as he makes a pitch that she can come with to try to rescue Ezra. Given the choice of "I die, I maybe destroy the map and doom Ezra to being lost forever, or I live and maybe fight back alongside Ezra" she makes a perfectly reasonable decision.

Siding with someone doesn't usually involve being held prisoner by them. She just decided her best bet was to be captured until Ezra; that pattern of trusting in your friends is well-established in Star Wars and it's Ahsoka lacking that trust that has been undermining her.

"Baronjutter" post="534399098"]
Things I don't like.
-So many annoying little contrivances to set up the next kewl badass action set piece. Characters splitting up for absolutely no reason, stuff like that. Like if Ahsoka could clown on that dark jedi apprentice lady and just knock her out in 2 seconds, why not stay and help the mandalorian girl finish up, then go get the orb together? It seems very out of character for someone so wise and experienced who was just told to stay together and act as a team by her ancient droid. But it happened because the writers wanted to seperate them.
[/quote]

Or they were in "teamwork" mode and when your teammate says "Go on, I got this," you go instead of litigating. Sabine clearly had something to prove in that rematch. My problem with that whole sequence is that we didn't have any reason to think that Ahsoka and Sabine knew how close the others were to translating the map into coordinates (and frankly, given they had the map on the planet for a while, I'm unsure why they couldn't do that work until after the last hyperspace engine was in place--maybe they only have one droid that could perform those two tasks?) and it isn't even clear how they knew the map was at that stone circle for certain. If they knew what we knew, the urgency would have been enough reason for Ahsoka to keep going, because "knock out in 2 seconds" is an assumption. Qui-Gonn and Obi-Wan had reason to think they were both more experienced than Darth Maul, but they weren't exactly overpowering him together.

The real issue, to my mind, is that between writing and direction, the series seems inconsistent in landing all its emotional beats. We keep getting these lingering shots of one character not really changing expression, but when we needed a longer shot of Ahsoka's face and reaction to Sabine telling her to go on, we didn't get it.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I agree with that reading

Sabine at that point had two options, destroy it and die - definitely never see Ezra again OR get captured and brought to Ezra and hero out of it later, which they have done multiple times together in the past

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

maybealabia posted:

I think it's fair to say that Thrawn was probably much smarter than other empire leadership and was only short-sighted about the degree to which other goddamn admirals would massively gently caress up

That and not understanding the force and very much discounting it as a weird weapon

And I think it's safe to say he's learned from both of those situations

If you've never heard of him before he's just a macguffin though, could be a holocron or whatever, but you know he's important because all the characters without exception think he is

He woulda gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids and their pesky droid!

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

koolkal posted:

He woulda gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids and their pesky droid!

**Laughs tauntingly in Chopper**

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Ok so I saw season one of visions and a few here in season two:
Yes sabers can have their length modified and they do all the time.
Also visions had some good episodes

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
So are Thrawn and Ezra going to have no idea about the outcome of the war? That should be fun

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

General Dog posted:

So are Thrawn and Ezra going to have no idea about the outcome of the war? That should be fun

Thrawn: The Emperor defeated? It seems impossib-
Sabine: Darth Vader tossed him down a big ol' electricity hole at the most dramatic point possible.
Thrawn: Okay your story checks out.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

General Dog posted:

Thrawn's been in contact with the council of holograms apparently

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Pretty much agree with all of this. Show feels inconsistent and has no internal logic. The battle that happened with the four of them was basically instantly separated into two duels on top of all. So much for sticking together, huh?

Baronjutter posted:

It's so weird kinda hate-watching this show and every episode leaving me thinking "why am I watching this? It's never going to get better". Then turning on youtube and it filled with people gushing about how this was without the doubt the best episode of any star wars TV show ever produced. I feel like I'm living in some silent hill dimension where the version of the show I'm being shown is this horrible corrupted version and they're all watching something with amazing writing and action scenes with any weight.

Star Wars fandom has become (always been, even worse?) like Marvel/superhero fandom where you've got bunch of youtube videos gushing about the latest episode. This is the current attention economy, all sides of it, and I hate it. I now better understand how my much more cynical friend feels about pretty much all the Star Wars series minus Andor, maybe. The people gushing on YouTube have their own spoon in the game for hyping the show to get views or just don't have a clue. Anyways I definitely get how you feel.

I'm entertained and I don't hate watching the show but it could be so much better.

Also, Star Wars has never been a treasure trove of intricate dialogue writing but jesus the amount of one liners especially from our antagonists is just.. okay. I like Shin's design, I bet she's the Star Wars crush of so many people now but christ the show isn't giving her any dept and I'm basically begging for the show to do something interesting with her . Baylan at least has...something going on with him so far and the battle scene showed him just forcing through sheer strength/power which was neat.. The antagonists tick "yeah they're aesthetically interesting" but the show isn't doing poo poo with their motivations.

Oh the show had literal "Heir To The Empire" line referencing Timothy Zahn's book in a true fan :fap: fashion. I didn't mind that much though.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Seems like they’ve called him “heir to the Empire”twice, but maybe I’m just thinking of the trailer

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Hazo posted:

So: Early materials like the Technical Journal and production drawings included stuff like "blade length" and "blade intensity" knobs on lightsaber schematics (usually Luke's or Vader's). The authors/illustrators were just completely making poo poo up so they could label the extraneous bits on the Graflex hilts with :techno:, and everyone just kind of went with it because it was never a plot point in the movies and super-intense nerd culture obsessed with every little thing hadn't really hit its stride yet:

(1983)

(1995)

Plus, sure, it seems reasonable that the wielder could make small adjustments to the blade length, akin to adjusting focus on a camera lens. But not anything crazy like turning a 40-inch blade into a 30-foot blade.

I know the blade length thing is in canon as well, because one of the earliest episodes in Rebels had Kanan reduce the length on his blade to let the (much shorter) Ezra train with it more easily. Not a huge change, and it seemed to take some careful adjusting so not something you casually do in the middle of combat.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Thrawn's been in contact with the council of holograms apparently

Seems like if he can Skype them from another galaxy he could also send coordinates, but technology and communication in Star Wars never really adds up anyway

I have to say I have no idea how navigation works in Star Wars, despite this being the third big map-based plot in 8 years.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

Sabine: Darth Vader tossed him down a big ol' electricity hole at the most dramatic point possible.

"He did it in order to save his son."
"I long suspected that Vader may have had offspring."
"Did you suspect his son also blew up the Death Star?"
"....No, I did not."
"Which he did because Leia Organa obtained the plans. And she was also Vader's kid."
"OK now you're just making this up."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Hyperspace travel isn't just about the destination but also about not running into things along the way. So even if they have clear communication with him (and if they do I reckon it's more like garbled morse code) they might not know how to get there safely.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jerusalem posted:

Probably a lot of broken telephone mythologizing of what went down between Luke, Vader, and the Emperor. The story that gets spread around the galaxy must be ridiculously overhyped.

Like I can only imagine how the story would get warped if I confronted my dad at work to try and get him to quit, then my dad's boss tried to electrocute me, then my dad killed his boss by throwing him out a window, and then my friends torched the place.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Hyperspace travel isn't just about the destination but also about not running into things along the way. So even if they have clear communication with him (and if they do I reckon it's more like garbled morse code) they might not know how to get there safely.

Yeah I think space must be a lot denser in their galaxy than in ours.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lobok posted:

Probably a lot of broken telephone mythologizing of what went down between Luke, Vader, and the Emperor. The story that gets spread around the galaxy must be ridiculously overhyped.

I think somebody's mentioned it before, but there's something to be said for the fact that any Death Star survivors probably saw or at least were aware that a disturbingly calm Luke Skywalker was marched into the Emperor's throne room in shackles and an hour later they heard the Emperor scream, then Skywalker walked out dragging the dying body of the mighty Darth Vader behind him, took his helmet off presumably to taunt him as he finished the job, then took the body with him as a trophy before the Death Star was destroyed by the Rebel Fleet that had been supposedly caught in an inescapable ambush.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I liked that...I kinda feel that the episodes could be a little longer but I probably think that because I want a little more action. Then again, I agree with what someone said earlier that, while the action scenes we got this episode were good, they have been largely hit-or-miss. When Ahsoka and company are being attacked by the scram fighters in the last episode, they got hit a lot and it basically seemed to do zero damage. It took a lot of tension out of those scenes.

Happy to see Hayden in the flesh, and hopefully we get some nice content for him next episode

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also how do they even know Thrawn and whats his name are even still alive? Marooned in a foreign galaxy for a pretty long time. Would he just be a prisoner of thrawn's all this time?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
The hyperspace ring is clearly the mcguffin that will clamp itself to the chimeria and bring it back to this galaxy

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Releasing a film in assembly cut form as a TV series and inviting the audience to refine it into the final product by giving it an incredibly languid pace and repetitive sequences is a boldly subversive act of audience participation I did not expect from Dave Filoni, my hat's off to him.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Can't wait until we hear big disney ordered a list of reshoots a mile long and brings in Akira Kurosawa from the grave to redirect it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Stegosnaurlax posted:

and brings in Akira Kurosawa from the grave to redirect it.

That worked out well in Rebels.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Battlestar jump calculations probably apply too - you're not jumping at where you see your destination from where you are, you have to calculate where it actually is now, relative to you several hundred/thousand/billion years later. In the local galaxy you're solving for values probably perfected millenia ago. Jumping to a remote galaxy? Good luck without a map tracking where it is now, relative to a fixed point to start from (ie; that planet).

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

McSpanky posted:

Releasing a film in assembly cut form as a TV series and inviting the audience to refine it into the final product by giving it an incredibly languid pace and repetitive sequences is a boldly subversive act of audience participation I did not expect from Dave Filoni, my hat's off to him.

we just got obi-wan

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Does Hera ever wear her goggles in the cartoon? Whenever you see a character who always has goggles on you can bet they’re not going to use them

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I'm like vaguely checking in here but I feel like the macguffin of a secret space map to a magic character got used twice in the sequel trilogy (to find Luke and then to find Palpatine) so it's a little boring at this point.

I also agree that the sequel trilogy really failed to stick the landing in terms of 1) being good or 2) creating a good environment for other storytellers. Prequels at least give you some great fodder for telling stories in the Clone Wars or the corruption of the Republic, but the whole Filoni-verse Disney has going pretty much specifically writes around/before them because of the issues involved.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ungulateman posted:

we just got obi-wan

I'll fix Obi-Wan right now: *hits delete key*

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I didn’t hate Obi-Wan but mostly just because I wanted to see Ewan McGregor as that character again

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Dr.Radical posted:

Does Hera ever wear her goggles in the cartoon? Whenever you see a character who always has goggles on you can bet they’re not going to use them

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The real question is whether we will get to hear Hera use her french Ryloth accent by the end of Ahsoka.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Spookydonut posted:

You know in the old EU luke's disembodied spirit possessed EU jacen to fight with a lightsaber and why cant kanan do that with his son
For all the complaining about any of the Disney shows (I am explicitly excluding the films here), there's nothing in there remotely as offensively farcical as the kind of writing level Kevin J. Anderson and his ilk produced back in the old EU days.

Anyway Ahsoka's a bit hit-and-miss for me so far, but I quite liked this episode. The series looks good in any event and I enjoy the classic samurai movie stylings. I'm less enthused about the attempt at de-aging Hayden Christensen here, though. It's not that I'm principally opposed to it - I didn't mind it when they did it with Luke in The Mandalorian and I've never even been bothered by CGI Tarkin in Rogue One, it's just that this particular instance seemed extremely Uncanny Valley to me. It's all right though, I enjoy the idea of Ahsoka and him reuniting. It happening in live action also somehow gives extra validation to TCW, I feel, given that Ahsoka of course never appeared or was even mentioned in the prequels at all.

P.S. "You had me at 'hello [Snips]'."

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The real question is whether we will get to hear Hera use her french Ryloth accent by the end of Ahsoka.

Ewan MacGregor’s wife of 25 years was French so I’m cringing imagining him giving Mary Elizabeth Winstead (who he seemingly left his wife for) tips on how to sound more like his ex.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Neddy Seagoon posted:

She's been practicing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEL0x9Zn2Yc

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ungulateman posted:

Notably, these folks are (in keeping with filoni's love of wolves) named after the children of Fenrir that chase the sun and moon across the sky and will devour them during Ragnarok. And given that Ragnarok is both the destruction of the old order and the creation of a new one, that fits.

in a shocking change of pace, i'm annoyed that we have a star wars show that isn't about the dipshits with lightsabers, because these guys are way more interesting than thrawn

Thrawns whole point is that he isnt a dude with a lightsaber and can't stand that magic bullshit, which is kind of fun.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Morrow posted:

I'm like vaguely checking in here but I feel like the macguffin of a secret space map to a magic character got used twice in the sequel trilogy (to find Luke and then to find Palpatine) so it's a little boring at this point.

I also agree that the sequel trilogy really failed to stick the landing in terms of 1) being good or 2) creating a good environment for other storytellers. Prequels at least give you some great fodder for telling stories in the Clone Wars or the corruption of the Republic, but the whole Filoni-verse Disney has going pretty much specifically writes around/before them because of the issues involved.

Im seriously theorizing that Filoniverse is just going to jump into another galaxy and say "gently caress Disney" at this point. Everything is kind of building up to that.

He didn't even do anything on his own show that was set in sequel-verse (Resistance). I honestly think that he doesn't like it and wants to just explore what Lucas and he talked about and if it means created his own pocket universe, thats what hes going to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Snowmanatee posted:

Ewan MacGregor’s wife of 25 years was French so I’m cringing imagining him giving Mary Elizabeth Winstead (who he seemingly left his wife for) tips on how to sound more like his ex.

I wouldn't worry about Ewan McGregor knowing anything about the French accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8WWByP8u1o&t=101s