Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

LifeSunDeath posted:

time to try suppositories

take this recommendation and shove it up your rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Code Jockey posted:

take this recommendation and shove it up your rear end
If you're not boofing are you even living?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Nah, they're all homemade and it doesn't seem to matter what specific form they take, brownies, cookies, etc. I'm wondering if it's not the THC content specifically. It might just be too much in a single dose and then sitting in my gut for too long.

My friends have tried my edibles and described them as an "emotional experience" so they're strong as gently caress for people who don't use daily.

How would one go about measuring the potency of a homemade edible anyway?

What's the common ingredient? Butter? Oil?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

redshirt posted:

What's the common ingredient? Butter? Oil?

Butter. But I eat dairy all the time.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Butter. But I eat dairy all the time.

Well there you go man. Leave out the butter next time.

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

Nah, they're all homemade and it doesn't seem to matter what specific form they take, brownies, cookies, etc. I'm wondering if it's not the THC content specifically. It might just be too much in a single dose and then sitting in my gut for too long.

My friends have tried my edibles and described them as an "emotional experience" so they're strong as gently caress for people who don't use daily.

How would one go about measuring the potency of a homemade edible anyway?

As others have mentioned, if you know the % in the weed you started with it's simple. 1g = 1000mg. if weed has 20% thc then of that 1000mg of whole pot, 200mg will be thc. I'll even account for 2yr old weed and knock off 25% of the potency when I'm ballparking my edibles

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

redshirt posted:

Well there you go man. Leave out the butter next time.

But then there'd be no weed in them????? I know I can eat butter, so taking it out of food to see if it still affects me doesn't really make sense.

Hammu-rob-i posted:

As others have mentioned, if you know the % in the weed you started with it's simple. 1g = 1000mg. if weed has 20% thc then of that 1000mg of whole pot, 200mg will be thc. I'll even account for 2yr old weed and knock off 25% of the potency when I'm ballparking my edibles

I made my last batch with 3g of Pure Michigan, which on Leafly is stated to be 29% THC. So assuming a maximum yield in my butter would be 870mg of THC. Assuming that was evenly distributed across my cookies, they'd be 48mg per cookie. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the number is probably much less than that between butter loss (as in, butter that sticks to the side of the pan and never makes it into the batter), batter loss, and failing to reach a maximum yield.

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

But then there'd be no weed in them????? I know I can eat butter, so taking it out of food to see if it still affects me doesn't really make sense.

I made my last batch with 3g of Pure Michigan, which on Leafly is stated to be 29% THC. So assuming a maximum yield in my butter would be 870mg of THC. Assuming that was evenly distributed across my cookies, they'd be 48mg per cookie. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the number is probably much less than that between butter loss (as in, butter that sticks to the side of the pan and never makes it into the batter), batter loss, and failing to reach a maximum yield.

for sure, also factor in that your baking temp is above 292degrees F (the vaporization point of THC,) whether you decarb first or not, to what degree do you break up the nugs to reveal surface area, and if you strain the plant matter and discard it opting for just using the butter, there's a lot of inefficiencies. I add the plant matter to my edibles. My take is there's no THC loss and I'm adding fiber. A ~90mg dose for me is one large bite of cookie so I'm not having to chew through a bag of grass clippings to get my dose.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

drat does he know you're a mod ?

He does now :toughguy:

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The prep for blunt is equal to and just as satisfying after two tokes.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
the inside of baking food doesnt rise above boiling hth

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
would a couple grams of dab reclaim up the rear end get me high asking for a friend

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Don't ask for pancakes at a Waffle House.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Crimson Harvest posted:

the inside of baking food doesnt rise above boiling hth

you can still decarb weed at lower temps. used to make all my weed butter by boiling water with butter and weed then freezing it and you extract the butter cap. totally not a great method but it does decarb the weed, just takes forever.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I've got 2-3 grams of AVB sitting in a jar of cacique. in 3 weeks I will strain into an old dropper bottle that used to have CBD oil.

This AVB is a mix of regular weed and like, CBD only hemp. So, it won't be very potent, I imagine. But, We'll see!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I just bought some extremely nice looking weed, it was $56 for a half ounce and it’s still dank and fresh and legal weed freakin owns

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

bagmonkey posted:

I just bought some extremely nice looking weed, it was $56 for a half ounce and it’s still dank and fresh and legal weed freakin owns

MY man!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

bagmonkey posted:

if you went back and time and gave mid level dispensary weed to a 6th century peasant, they'd get so goddamn high.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

LifeSunDeath posted:

if you went back and time and gave mid level dispensary weed to a 6th century peasant, they'd get so goddamn high.

If you went back like 7 years ago and did that it’d blow my mind

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Like this was their just average tier stuff. It’s great!!!!

This is Chem Dela Chem!!! It’s supposedly like 30% but I think it was probably tested by the ex-cops who faked THC percentages for paying growers. It smells fuckin great

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The hardest part about reading this thread is trying to figure out what the gently caress an ounce of weed is. I can easily picture a gram because I live in a real country that uses metric and that's how it's sold but I don't know what an ounce of anything looks like.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

The hardest part about reading this thread is trying to figure out what the gently caress an ounce of weed is. I can easily picture a gram because I live in a real country that uses metric and that's how it's sold but I don't know what an ounce of anything looks like.

28.5g my homie

it's like a quarter centagram.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
That's a lot of loving weed. I don't think I've bought more than 5g at one time.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

I'd gently caress with a 6th century peasant.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

LifeSunDeath posted:

28.5g my homie

it's like a quarter centagram.

28.35g to be precise. 28g street. Which is why an eighth is 3.5g.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
An eighth being 3.5g is a good point of reference that I should be able to remember. Thanks weed goons!

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I remember a local dispensary had a 5g eighths special on specific days. . It was basically "gently caress measurement standards, we're giving a tad more today"

also every dispensary i bought from measure in grams regardless. if budtenders are weighing what they grabbed on a scale in front of you, the display shows grams and not ounces.

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 7, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Weed used to be illegal. I had to buy it from an EXTERMINATOR. And it was terrible, seeds and stems.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

redshirt posted:

Weed used to be illegal. I had to buy it from an EXTERMINATOR. And it was terrible, seeds and stems.

I was at the dispensary having the budtender look up limonene percentages on an ipad and telling him i bought weed in nyc in the 90s and the guy just grabbed a piece of paper out of the dumpster and balled it up in that

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

Brain Curry posted:

I was at the dispensary having the budtender look up limonene percentages on an ipad and telling him i bought weed in nyc in the 90s and the guy just grabbed a piece of paper out of the dumpster and balled it up in that

lol

Also, if you're Gen x and grew up during the height of the war on drugs, it made an impression that's hard to shake. I'm still terrified.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

That's a lot of loving weed. I don't think I've bought more than 5g at one time.

lol, I use humidity packets and canning jars to keep poo poo fresh, it's just easier to buy bulk and not have to schlep my rear end back to the dispo every week. Yesterday's haul was about 56g of weed, should last me a few months until Black Friday deals come out honestly

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Ive been finding bulk buying to be the way to go in :canada: now that its legal. I just reupped and have got 6oz on the way to me now shipped to my door for $25 an oz. Basically anything that tests ~18% seems to just get tossed out to make the expense back or something because its all been decent and I've been getting the same thing for like a year now. Usually come with a couple free joints even. The free flow of weed has gotten kinda ridiculous and I am more than happy to do my part.

:hmmyes::420:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

bagmonkey posted:

lol, I use humidity packets and canning jars to keep poo poo fresh, it's just easier to buy bulk and not have to schlep my rear end back to the dispo every week. Yesterday's haul was about 56g of weed, should last me a few months until Black Friday deals come out honestly

WTF they sell humidity these days??!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
yeah, if you've got legal weed and you're not a heavy duty smoker, buying "lower THC weed" is the way. THC % isn't what makes or breaks a high, it's the terpene profile and other cannabinoids that make each high unique. So if you don't smoke a lot, Boveda humidity pack + cheap flower ounce in a canning jar will set you straight for a while

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

redshirt posted:

WTF they sell humidity these days??!

https://www.amazon.com/Boveda-Two-W...ps%2C124&sr=8-6

these things loving own, you can buy like 1+ year old flower that's drier than the Mojave desert, throw one of those into a sealed jar w/ the flower, come back 2 days later and you have perfectly fresh bud. It's WILD that this isn't more common in those pre-sealed jars and poo poo

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

LifeSunDeath posted:

you can still decarb weed at lower temps. used to make all my weed butter by boiling water with butter and weed then freezing it and you extract the butter cap. totally not a great method but it does decarb the weed, just takes forever.

It's a great method if you want to concentrate a ton of trim/abv into a small amount of butter efficiently and have the end result taste incredibly neutral. You can cram in multiple ounces of trim per tablespoon of butter, get almost all of the butter back without a ton of squeezing and make it taste like nothing in the final product.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 7, 2023

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

bagmonkey posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Boveda-Two-W...ps%2C124&sr=8-6

these things loving own, you can buy like 1+ year old flower that's drier than the Mojave desert, throw one of those into a sealed jar w/ the flower, come back 2 days later and you have perfectly fresh bud. It's WILD that this isn't more common in those pre-sealed jars and poo poo
Alternative that I find also works for short term rescue: break a q-tip in half, dip it in water, and tape it to the underside of your airtight jar. Let it sit for a day.

E: underside of the lid, I meant.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 7, 2023

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

erosion posted:

lol

Also, if you're Gen x and grew up during the height of the war on drugs, it made an impression that's hard to shake. I'm still terrified.

This is so true I feel like I have weed ptsd. The amount of garbage rear end weed I’ve smoked, the resin with metal shards I’ve scraped out of pipes, the times my friends or I got sold some absolutely fake rear end bullshit, it’s crazy.

I do kind of miss the missions, when it was successful it was fun. Random middle of the night encounters with someone on the street in nyc that ended up in a weed purchase were awesome. I’d trade silly stories for reliable good weed though, goddamn some of that poo poo sucked

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Nothing made me feel like a crackhead more than scraping resin hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
My old dealer murdered his girlfriend in a drug fueled rage right before Michigan legalized weed so I guess that was good timing