Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Popete posted:

Rick Suttcliffe talks even more than Girardi and is insufferable.

I don't want to think about him unless I have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That WS is hazy

I think Hamels got blown up and the Phillies didn’t have a third starter

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Intruder posted:

gonna be honest I'll probably root for either the M's or Rangers if either makes the WS

I will never root for the Rangers, but I would absolutely root for the M’s

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Some Numbers posted:

Sweeping the Rays would be pretty awesome, not gonna lie.

:hmmyes:

Is this what they call "GOMS"?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I will never forgive the Rangers for blowing that world series against the dang cardinals... PUT A DIFFERENT GUY IN RIGHT, WASH, ISN'T DEFENSE LIKE YOUR WHOLE THING??????

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bregor posted:

I think that’s why he works well with JD. Either one on their own is kind of meh but the tandem is growing on me.

I still want Steve Stone back though :smith:

Stone has become a cranky old man yelling at clouds.

Just bring back Len Kasper from his self-imposed exile to White Sox radio and reunite Len & JD.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

-asks joe girardi questions instead of telling him to shut the gently caress up

lmao

Today, Boog asked Girardi if Wicks reminded him of any other pitcher, and Joe was like "uh, I don't know if I told you this, but I'm not very good at that" and Boog was like "well, I think he reminds me a bit of Tom Glavine" and Joe responded "okay."

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Timby posted:

He still tells the best completely non-sequitor stories, though.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

lmao

Today, Boog asked Girardi if Wicks reminded him of any other pitcher, and Joe was like "uh, I don't know if I told you this, but I'm not very good at that" and Boog was like "well, I think he reminds me a bit of Tom Glavine" and Joe responded "okay."

I need video of this asap

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Timby posted:

Fair enough but it’s great to listen to as the White Sox fall flat on their faces

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Timby posted:

Just bring back Len Kasper from his self-imposed exile to White Sox radio and reunite Len & JD.

Man I love Len's voice. It just feels like afternoon baseball.

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

Intruder posted:

gonna be honest I'll probably root for either the M's or Rangers if either makes the WS

current rooting interests among playoff teams: astros -> orioles -> M's -> twins -> rays -> jays -> brewers -> marlins -> dodgers -> phillies -> cubs -> braves

If the Astros are out of it, I'll usually root for a team that hasn't ever won the WS over a team that has won before. Tho bias can intercede a bit with my rooting order:

Astros >>>
Mariners > Orioles > Cubs >>
Jays > Twins > Rays >>
Brewers > Phillies > Dodgers >>
Marlins > Braves

I like the Marlins just fine (was rooting really hard for em in 2003 over the Yankees, for instance), but... their 2/2 WS perfection just kinda pushes them down a bit in the future WS priority order.

And while the Rays and Brewers haven't won a WS before (and I'd like for them to), I'm just a bit more of a fan of teams like the Orioles, Cubs, Jays, and Twins comparatively.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

rickiep00h posted:

Man I love Len's voice. It just feels like afternoon baseball.

His voice is wonderful and he had a simply delightful rapport with JD.

It speaks volumes to how much of a clusterfuck clown show Marquee Sports Network is that Kasper willingly went from being the TV voice and face of the Cubs to calling White Sox games on the radio.

Come back, Len. :smith:

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

lmao

I can see why the Phillies made the World Series last year.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
There may be bigger asskickings. There may be bigger blown saves, yeah 2011 hurts quite a bit still. Up until about...yeah, I guess today the single most embarrassing moment for me as a Ranger fan was watching that shithead loser of a manager throw a tantrum postgame against the Padres because they grand slammed on an already dead Ranger team. Dumbest loving spectacle I've ever seen, sincerely hope that dork never runs another professional team.

This run post all-star break by the Rangers...this is embarrassing. No one can do anything right. They have tried every configuration of chairs on the Titanic but the ship remains the same. There isn't a bat on the roster I have any confidence in. Not an arm I'd trust to throw in a little league game. Everything sucks. It's embarrassing. The worst part? The dumb fucks running this organization are happy as clams. They made their "big moves," they don't give a poo poo anymore. They got the attendance they wanted. Scammed a city for a free stadium, got to coast as the covid postseason zone, and had decent numbers despite a putrid roster because the stadium was still brand new. This season's team convinced everyone things would be different, people were falling over themselves for Rangers tickets and now here we are on September 6 and I can genuinely say I don't think the Rangers will win a series again this year. But hey, the fuckers behind it all got their money. Jokes on me.

"The Rangers could turn things around!" It's true. They could win out the rest of the season and backflip into the postseason. But does anything on this roster look like a world series contender right now? I think a little shellshock is fair right now. Not to mention it's the Mavericks season all over again. It's uncanny.

I don't even have the spirit to dunk on another team cause goddamn the Rangers are like russian dolls made of progressively smaller glass houses right now.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Ehhh, baseball is loving weird and we still have several weeks to go in an extremely tight division. The Rangers are only 3 games back, the division is far from decided yet.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

i have a feeling m's, astros and rangers fans will suffer alternating waves of despair and ecstasy for the rest of the season.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ehhh, baseball is loving weird and we still have several weeks to go in an extremely tight division. The Rangers are only 3 games back, the division is far from decided yet.

I know this. And it's not like you can lose two games if you get dunked on harder. But jesus christ this is a bewildering tailspin.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

R.D. Mangles posted:

here are the pros and cons of jon "boog" sciambi

pros:

-clearly loves baseball, just a giant dweeb who would be sitting around watching baseball all day even if he wasn't employed by it
-not a dumb caveman about advanced stats
-completely inoffensive
-not a dick about opposing teams, unlikely to ever call for an opposing pitcher to hit an opponent
-pleasantly bland

cons:

-not funny or interesting
-still has no chemistry with jim deshaies, who is good
-feels like he is trying to run a baseball podcast with his co-hosts JD and "T-Mac" instead of broadcasting a game

This is kind of the book on Boog to me. I actually don't have any gripes about him being too much of a "national" announcer / not passionate enough about the Cubs, and I theoretically like that he's a laid back dude who's not backwards-thinking and isn't afraid to go on weird tangents about stuff that he finds interesting because a baseball season is 162 games long so you might as well find novel ways to pass some of the time...but christ, his personality stinks and he does not mesh with JD at all.

Every single game has a handful of moments where he tells some dumb anecdote or asks an unknowable question or throws out the seed of a potentially interesting premise without actually saying anything worthwhile, and you get 8 seconds of dead air before JD tosses out a polite "huh" or "yeah I dunno", another 7 seconds of silence, and then Boog goes back to calling the game. It's a two-way street too; Boog loves to no-sell a mildly funny JD line that merits at least a courtesy acknowledgement. Just two old dudes in the booth politely tolerating each other

The sideline reporter stinks too and obviously Girardi is awful. You might be picking up that I am not a fan of the "Marquee Sports Network" broadcast experience in general

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

LongTimeFirstTime posted:

If the Astros are out of it, I'll usually root for a team that hasn't ever won the WS over a team that has won before. Tho bias can intercede a bit with my rooting order:

Astros >>>
Mariners > Orioles > Cubs >>
Jays > Twins > Rays >>
Brewers > Phillies > Dodgers >>
Marlins > Braves

I like the Marlins just fine (was rooting really hard for em in 2003 over the Yankees, for instance), but... their 2/2 WS perfection just kinda pushes them down a bit in the future WS priority order.

And while the Rays and Brewers haven't won a WS before (and I'd like for them to), I'm just a bit more of a fan of teams like the Orioles, Cubs, Jays, and Twins comparatively.

My pitch as a Twins fan for people to join the bandwagon is that we have all four major sports here and the last championship any of them have won was in 1991. Of all the other markets in that list I think Baltimore is the next farthest back with the Ravens in 2013, but I wouldn't begrudge anyone rooting for them, and especially not Seattle.

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

IcePhoenix posted:

My pitch as a Twins fan for people to join the bandwagon is that we have all four major sports here and the last championship any of them have won was in 1991. Of all the other markets in that list I think Baltimore is the next farthest back with the Ravens in 2013, but I wouldn't begrudge anyone rooting for them, and especially not Seattle.

Average city-wide drought method, eh? That's a good one, too.

The closest Houston's football team ever came to winning a Super Bowl was after the owner shipped the team off to Tennessee and it wasn't really our team anymore... Rockets haven't won since 1995 and we've never had a NHL team at all. So we'd rate pretty highly by this "city is due" metric other than the Astros' recent success.

But yes, back to the Twins, I find them to be a fun team most years, was sorry the Astros had to beat em in the ALDS recently (having learned about their long-suffering mostly-Yankees-induced playoff futility in the past 20 or so years)... generally root for them to do well.

I often think of the Twins and Mariners (and A's...) together bc of the last 20 years of October futility similarities between those teams. Maybe the Jays a bit, too. I notice you didn't include Toronto on your list of acceptable other teams with Baltimore and Seattle, any beef we might not remember between Minneapolis/St Paul and Toronto, sports-wise?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

xbilkis posted:

isn't afraid to go on weird tangents about stuff that he finds interesting because a baseball season is 162 games long so you might as well find novel ways to pass some of the time...but christ, his personality stinks and he does not mesh with JD at all.

This is my problem with Boog specifically, and probably why he’s bounced around as a local broadcaster. He’s just not interesting enough to pull that off, and certainly not to the same audience day after day. Probably why he’ll do Sunday night baseball radio until the end of time- he can call a straight ballgame and then you don’t hear him again until next week in a different place with two different teams to talk about.

He was just the safe (and available) pick after the reaction to the Chris Meyers trial balloon. Day in, day out he’s a net negative and that’s before you get to any of the Marquee Network bullshit. Cramming three awkward men in a room hasn’t been this popular in Chicago since Ryne Sandberg’s ex wife last checked out at Sybaris.

Allegedly

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Mr. Fix It posted:

i have a feeling m's, astros and rangers fans will suffer alternating waves of despair and ecstasy for the rest of the season.

This is the content I crave

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Timby posted:

His voice is wonderful and he had a simply delightful rapport with JD.

It speaks volumes to how much of a clusterfuck clown show Marquee Sports Network is that Kasper willingly went from being the TV voice and face of the Cubs to calling White Sox games on the radio.

Come back, Len. :smith:

Is it too much to hope that Len comes back to replace Pat when he retires? I'd like Len on Cubs radio if he can't or won't be on TV.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Mr. Fix It posted:

the m's next 8+ game winning streak started today

can confirm

thank you in advance

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

R.D. Mangles posted:

I will never forgive the Rangers for blowing that world series against the dang cardinals... PUT A DIFFERENT GUY IN RIGHT, WASH, ISN'T DEFENSE LIKE YOUR WHOLE THING??????

You should be more mad at that Tigers team for losing to the Cardinals. Every talking head before the series was going "Tigers in 3, this is such a mismatch it's a joke"

This is when Wainwright was a reliever so the Cards pitching staff was Chris Carpenter followed by Anthony Reyes, Jeff Weaver and Jeff Suppan :lol:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm already shaking with rage at Taillon vs Fallen tomorrow

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's cool that the Yankees are playing better but they will also use it to justify doing nothing in the offseason and other than JD none of these kids they brought up looks like a stone cold lock star player.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

LongTimeFirstTime posted:

I notice you didn't include Toronto on your list of acceptable other teams with Baltimore and Seattle, any beef we might not remember between Minneapolis/St Paul and Toronto, sports-wise?

The Raptors won a title in 2019

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Are the Mets the only MLB team that plays on an island?

Did I already ask this? My coworker tossed it off randomly during lunch the other day and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.

Doctor Skeleton
Nov 15, 2003

The Expos? If I’m looking at google maps correctly.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
Ya Expos definitely did.

Maybe Tropicana Field? Is that on an island or is it a peninsula?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

AlbertFlasher posted:

Ya Expos definitely did.

Give it a few years

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AlbertFlasher posted:

Ya Expos definitely did.

They should send that ballpark, and all the rays with it, out to sea like when bugs bunny cuts off the island with a big saw.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Poque posted:

Give it a few years

lol

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

He seems to be having a pretty good season for a hosed up shoul.der
just to follow up on this…

https://twitter.com/mike_petriello/status/1699774843078516889

We are barreling towards an “October Kershaw” moment that will just be his shoulder falling apart

Doctor Skeleton
Nov 15, 2003

bawfuls posted:

just to follow up on this…

https://twitter.com/mike_petriello/status/1699774843078516889

We are barreling towards an “October Kershaw” moment that will just be his shoulder falling apart

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I will never root for the Rangers, but I would absolutely root for the M’s

Like a lot of people (I think) - I'll tend to root for any team in the Series that hasn't won before, or for things like Red Sox in 04, White Sox in 05, Cubs 16 etc.

I told myself I was rooting for the Rangers in 2011. I think I meant it. But when it looked absolutley over and they were going to be champs any drat second - I absolutely hated it and I was stoked with how it turned out. I honestly have no idea why beyond "AL WEST" team. I had been indifferent when the Angels won in 2002, and didn't care in 2017. But when the Rangers were about to win I hated it.

Side note - Nelson Cruz's 4 year contract with the M's was possibly the best free agent signing they've ever had and I will forever like him, but a part of that is because he didn't catch a ball.

Mr. Fix It posted:

Losing 4 of 6 to the Mets and Reds has me chicken little-ing like crazy and no glance at the standings where they're one GOMe out of first and still have a WC spot is going to calm me down. September is going to be agonizing.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
I told myself in June that it wouldn't really matter until September, and baby, it's MATTERING TIME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
https://twitter.com/UmpScorecards/status/1699792400074645787

Based Bucknor