Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Devils Affricate posted:

Starfield isn't Skyrim in space or even Daggerfall in space. Skyrim and Daggerfall were open world games.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's like if you took an Elder Scrolls game and removed the world. It's just fast traveling to NPCs and occasional stabbing galleries but if you talked to too many people nobody will fight anymore but they still send you to the location with nothing to do. Also you don't even get a horse.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The persuasion minigame is hilarious because your persuasive conversations go like this:

Villain: "I will never give you the mighty macguffin!"

Player: [Persuade] "You should just give me the mighty macguffin."

Villain: "Never!"

Player: [+2] "It would be really nice of you to give me the mighty macguffin."

Villain: "Hmmm... it's going to take more than that to convince me."

Player: [+2] "You don't even really need it anyway!"

Villain: "Yeah I suppose you're right... but it will still take more than that to convince me."

Player: [+1] "It would be a nice thing to do."

Villain: "You know what, you're right. Here's the macguffin, and here's an extra 1000 credits for your trouble. Pack it up boys, we're leaving."

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Yep. I keep seeing people calling it an open world game, and it's even tagged as such on Steam, but nothing about it is open world. Even outer space consists of disconnected, instanced locations. Do people just automatically label anything Bethesda makes as open world now?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Blasphemous 2 is so good.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Devils Affricate posted:

Yep. I keep seeing people calling it an open world game, and it's even tagged as such on Steam, but nothing about it is open world. Even outer space consists of disconnected, instanced locations. Do people just automatically label anything Bethesda makes as open world now?

Getting to choose the next level is open world

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Devils Affricate posted:

There's not even consistency between the planet map and the actual terrain. Literally the only thing from the planetary map that affects the terrain you land in is the Biome. It generates a ~4000m x 4000m square of that biome. If you landed on a coast but the Biome was "Sandy Desert" instead of "Sandy Desert (coast)" there will be no water or coastline in the map it generates, it's just a big huge square of sandy desert. If you leave the planet, return later, and land at the exact same spot it just generates a brand new square of that terrain type for you. If you land in a giant crater on the world map, it will generate big flat plains full of small craters.

If you steal a spaceship, take off into orbit, and immediately land on the opposite side of the planet, your old spaceship will be in the generated map too, except it will be owned by an NPC (still registered to you though).

Also it's impossible for 2 biomes to exist on the same map.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 7, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Major 2006 flashbacks here. I swear somebody's gonna say something about 1 inch deep galaxy

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
horse armor dlc, in the sense that it's an armor that makes you look like a mechanical horse

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

The persuasion minigame is hilarious because your persuasive conversations go like this:

Villain: "Yeah I suppose you're right... but it will still take more than that to convince me."

Villain: "You know what, you're right. Here's the macguffin, and here's an extra 1000 credits for your trouble. Pack it up boys, we're leaving."

For a while I thought some of the options were just auto-completes because its a logical argument in context, which is okay, an actually pursuadive argument should be more convincing than their dice rolling deal. But then I convinced somebody picking one of the "aww come on just gimme that I want it" options and it also auto completed it, turns out I eas just getting crits sometimes lol.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Vic posted:

Major 2006 flashbacks here. I swear somebody's gonna say something about 1 inch deep galaxy

Sorry your game sucks dude

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

To be fair most CRPG speech check dialogs are incredibly unconvincing and generally go on the basis that you can just logic everyone out of strongly held opinions. One thing i'll say about Disco Elysium is, it does a pretty good job of showing how stupid that is.

The vaunted Fallout 1 being able to talk the Master out of it makes no sense from a character perspective, it's a cool triumph in game but like, given what we know of the Master, it makes no sense that that approach would cause that particular action, it's just the beginning of the crpg tradition of having a speech skill and everyone jerking off over how smart they are to pick it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Speech skills are dumb in computer games because you pretty much either pick them or get locked out of a ton of content and rewards. It's like people forgot that the d&d roots had a poo poo ton of skills that could all be applied to similar effect to talky skills, and that a party that just wanted to smash poo poo up could roll athletics or whatever to attempt to break the bad dudes arm to help persuade him to step down. Or just steal the macguffin from them. Or barter it off them.

Instead, it's all boiled down to "did you put enough points in speech? No? gently caress you." Also, there's a point where speech checks are all guaranteed, so take a stab at where that is so you don't waste points on nothing.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I don't know why super realistic spaceflight or being able to travel to planets in real time or whatever seems like an appealing idea. You know what game does that, right now, really well? Elite: Dangerous. It has all those things you really want. They also added something resembling first person shooting!

Elite: Dangerous has sold a fraction of copies that Skyrim or Fallout 4 have, and had consistently less concurrent players than either, so something tells me people who are playing Starfield probably don't give a poo poo. Everyone who went in expecting a universe sim or whatever is disappointed, as is tradition, and they always will be.

The weirdest comments are whenever people bring up Star Citizen tho lol

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

syntaxfunction posted:

I don't know why super realistic spaceflight or being able to travel to planets in real time or whatever seems like an appealing idea. You know what game does that, right now, really well? Elite: Dangerous. It has all those things you really want. They also added something resembling first person shooting!

Elite: Dangerous has sold a fraction of copies that Skyrim or Fallout 4 have, and had consistently less concurrent players than either, so something tells me people who are playing Starfield probably don't give a poo poo. Everyone who went in expecting a universe sim or whatever is disappointed, as is tradition, and they always will be.

The weirdest comments are whenever people bring up Star Citizen tho lol

Yeah. And to be fair if the game didn’t tell you to gently caress off and turn around on a planet map you’d just go on forever with even less to doz

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

skooma512 posted:

Yeah. And to be fair if the game didn’t tell you to gently caress off and turn around on a planet map you’d just go on forever with even less to doz

you already have to spend like 10 minutes holding w in a featureless desert with nothing interesting in any direction just to reach the invisible walls so it's not like you'd ever encounter them in normal gameplay where you are trying to have fun

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

You're right, each genre only needs one game. Why would someone who likes a certain game genre want to see it receive more titles? It's not like someone might make something that's better than the current offering. Madness.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Devils Affricate posted:

You're right, each genre only needs one game. Why would someone who likes a certain game genre want to see it receive more titles? It's not like someone might make something that's better than the current offering. Madness.

syntaxfunction's point is that most of the people who say they want that stuff don't really want it very much, hence the low player numbers in E:D

George
Nov 27, 2004

I'm glad we can all agree that Starfield is just the latest in a long line of Bethesda games.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Devils Affricate posted:

Besides the veneer of science fiction Elite Dangerous and Bethesda games are not even close to the same genre, and getting disappointed a dev known for a style of games didn't pivot to do something else is wild.

Also I have played Starfield now. I played a couple hours, went "neat" and then played Slay the Spire. It'll be a game I just dabble in every so often, like those that came before it.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

That's infinitely better than literally 95% of dialogue checks in FO4 which all went exactly like this:

NPC: Do the job for me.

PC: I'll do it for 50 more caps.

NPC: You drive a hard bargain, okay 50 more caps.

PC: I'll do it for 100 more caps.

NPC: You're bleeding me dry here! Fine, 100 more caps.

PC: I'll do it for 150 more caps.

NPC: I accept but will go no higher.

PC: Okay I'll do the job.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

Besides the veneer of science fiction Elite Dangerous and Bethesda games are not even close to the same genre, and getting disappointed a dev known for a style of games didn't pivot to do something else is wild.

Also I have played Starfield now. I played a couple hours, went "neat" and then played Slay the Spire. It'll be a game I just dabble in every so often, like those that came before it.

Adding seamless travel from orbit to planet surface, or from orbit to orbit, wouldn't change the game's genre; it would just be a cooler approach to what they're currently doing. Neither would getting rid of loading screens between outdoor and indoor spaces. Neither would making the areas of the planets that you can visit consistent with one another and their representation on the view of the planet from orbit. These aren't design choices made for the sake of a better player experience, they're design choices made for the sake of cutting corners or having to work within the bounds of a lovely outdated game engine.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Hell even letting me watch the landing from my cockpit would be an improvement

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

you already have to spend like 10 minutes holding w in a featureless desert with nothing interesting in any direction just to reach the invisible walls so it's not like you'd ever encounter them in normal gameplay where you are trying to have fun

This is objectively correct because if you want to have fun in starfield you won't be exploring planet surfaces

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
it's the next evolution of radiant quests

George
Nov 27, 2004

Loading screens to go in buildings in tyool 2023.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

the pivot tables are fun and I can ggplot some neat graphs out of it. The major advantage spreadsheets have over Starfield is that you can put something different in each cell.

Get out of here with your glowing recommendation of EVE Online

e: actually I keep forgetting that this isn't the steam thread, sorry you are seen and welcome

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Devils Affricate posted:

I remember as a child looking at my friend and saying "I love the open world game Super Mario Bros 3"

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Starfield internet discourse is just hilarious. I think its because xbox finally has an exclusive that resembles a proper video game.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Caesar Saladin posted:

Starfield internet discourse is just hilarious. I think its because xbox finally has an exclusive that resembles a proper video game.

I'm still waiting for the reddit post that's a starfield tattoo with a story about how starfield saved their life.
We've got close with the guy saying starfield saved his life because he was so hyped for the game he got sober, but he didn't have a tattoo.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Somebody probably already got a tattoo before the game ever released.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Devils Affricate posted:

Sorry your game sucks dude

You mean Oblivion?

I'm not gonna buy and play Starfield until it's 75% off like all 7/¹⁰ Bethesda games.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

Ok I'm stumped, which game are you referring to?

Also, Halo came out in 2001.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

QuarkJets posted:

I don't believe that anyone has seen a AVGN video since 2005

I watch his videos pretty much as soon as they come out and I like them. That's my unpopular opinion.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Fighting Elegy posted:

I watch his videos pretty much as soon as they come out and I like them. That's my unpopular opinion.

The screeching of a generation.

Vic fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Sep 7, 2023

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Panzeh posted:

To be fair most CRPG speech check dialogs are incredibly unconvincing and generally go on the basis that you can just logic everyone out of strongly held opinions. One thing i'll say about Disco Elysium is, it does a pretty good job of showing how stupid that is.

The vaunted Fallout 1 being able to talk the Master out of it makes no sense from a character perspective, it's a cool triumph in game but like, given what we know of the Master, it makes no sense that that approach would cause that particular action, it's just the beginning of the crpg tradition of having a speech skill and everyone jerking off over how smart they are to pick it.

There's also Planescape: Torment for another classic example. I think the concept was better implemented there because, IIRC, there were more layers to go through, and the idea of successfully convincing this final boss not to attack you just by talking to it is more believable when you're basically talking to yourself. And because the stat checks were so high, I guess it's also basically a "reward" for going through the entire game specced as a talky nameless when the entire environment wants to attack and kill you.

For a modern (and overall better?) example there is Deus Ex HR/MD. You only need to put two praxis points into social enhancement to engage with the system, and you get to talk to these characters like they're real people. You could boil the system down to "don't pick the bad option too many times", but the conversations felt like real conversations, and in the large ones (like with Hugh Darrow) convincing them to do anything actually felt difficult. I remember really enjoying those.

Edit: And it only works as well as it does because those characters are well realized, and the conversations are well written. It's not a generic "[+5 Charisma] Do what I say". Every encounter is different and properly thought out.

itry fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Sep 7, 2023

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Vic posted:

The screeching of a generation.

Nowadays he's really quite chilled out and seems much happier and well adjusted than most youtubers.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

Caesar Saladin posted:

Nowadays he's really quite chilled out and seems much happier and well adjusted than most youtubers.

that's true but I do sort of miss when he would say stuff like "I would rather suck a chimpanzee's toes after it just stepped in a pile of buffalo poo poo than play this game" or whatever.

I also really enjoy AVGN parodies from 2010 or so, there's some funny stuff out there if you're willing to go down the rabbit hole

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSB9SZvtP2I

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Caesar Saladin posted:

You're thinking of James the person. The character AVGN still gets performatively very mad at videogames and poops on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I mean his whole brand is based around the fact that he's angry at video games. Not sure if "chilling out" was ever a valid avenue for him.