Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Mother Righteous is definitely the go-getter in the family. Maybe Orbis is doing some space poo poo at the moment, although I kinda feel like Orbis is just there to round out the suits. Stasis is really just Sinister except with human genes instead of mutant ones, and he's probably prone to the exact same flaw of playing around with his clones in his lab when he should be trying to eradicate mutants (maybe he's taking a week off after the Gala). It's hard to see how the Dominion could be anybody besides MR at the moment, but hey there's still a lot of directions it could go.

There's also the possibility of a wild card? A joker? The other Sinisters are just trying to keep their respective factions alive long enough to get absorbed by a Phalanx, right, so maybe there's a robot Sinister who's gone right to the source? That might overlap too much with Moira, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

No the Joker's in the other company

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

And people are talking about how brutal Kate is, but uh, well Xavier is starting to give her a run for her money.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Well that's the best fictional proposal I ever did see.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm gettin real tired of this Mother Righteous dude

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mother righteous already basically carried out her plan for apotheosis in the sos timeline. it was a fanatical cult of mutants dedicated to her, which granted her incredible mystical power. and that was a very small cult, consisting mostly of short-lived clones. she just couldn't compete with sinister's overwhelming advantage. but now, righteous has uncontested (as far as she knows) access to hundreds of thousands of mutants. the real leaders of mutantkind are all absent. hope is very well equipped to wage a one woman guerilla war, but she can't handle politics and subtle manipulation. another important point is that no one can leave. if eden or lila cheney had been sent through the gates, she would have sequestered them like the rest of the five. that's probably also what happened to forge, since he could eventually invent a way back from anywhere.

unfortunately, the element that is necessary to make it all work is all of the krakoans being really loving stupid. none of these schmucks are suspicious of mother righteous at all.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Who is this bug boy
Oh it's Kafka
...Why is he so smol
.........adorable. :3: I would like to squish
..............Wait whY IS HE CALLED KAFKA

If you think about it with our updated context, the Orchis plan actually seems...kinda bad? They're sitting there patting themselves on the back saying well done friends, we got rid of the mutants! We won!

Except like...they have no idea where the mutants actually are, so how are they sure that the mutants aren't just going to come back? How would they stop that from happening?

Like, even without Mother Righteous' interference, the original plan was just to send them to Mars. Mars, where they are aligned with multiple alien empires that own spaceships.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 7, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The mutants would have definitely been like 'drat you got us, guess we better leave everything we ever knew and all our old life-connections and fly off to space, never to darken your doorstep again!' -- very good thinking by Orchis, especially since as I recall new mutants are still being born now?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Codependent Poster posted:

And people are talking about how brutal Kate is, but uh, well Xavier is starting to give her a run for her money.

Well yeah but Xavier is clearly broken and mistakenly thinks he killed thousands of mutants.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BrianWilly posted:

Like, even without Mother Righteous' interference, the original plan was just to send them to Mars. Mars, where they are aligned with multiple alien empires that own spaceships.

Mars is currently having a civil war (set up by Orchis), and many of the Arakkii view Krakoans as weaklings they can push around.

Also remember they planned on holding the hostages over their heads.

Nessus posted:

The mutants would have definitely been like 'drat you got us, guess we better leave everything we ever knew and all our old life-connections and fly off to space, never to darken your doorstep again!' -- very good thinking by Orchis, especially since as I recall new mutants are still being born now?

Orchis has treatments to make people baseline again.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

Orchis has treatments to make people baseline again.
Has anyone ever done the opposite, or does that just make people melt into protoplasm?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Mars is currently having a civil war (set up by Orchis), and many of the Arakkii view Krakoans as weaklings they can push around.

Also remember they planned on holding the hostages over their heads.
Right, but sending a bunch of random civilian stragglers to Mars at gunpoint where they can't rally together and so are at the mercy of the Arakkii...is a bit different from sending the entire population of Krakoa, together, all at once, who are much harder to push around, especially considering you're including multiple members of their leadership like Exodus and Hope in the mix. And like...originally this was going to include all the members of the X-Men as well! And all of the Five! The fact that the mutant superheroes and the ones who can resurrect people from the dead are all scattered and rudderless right now...was not actually Orchis' intent! The original plan was just to drop the entire working collective of Krakoan society off with the Arakkii and hope that this was going to do them in, mission accomplished.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 7, 2023

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Nessus posted:

Has anyone ever done the opposite, or does that just make people melt into protoplasm?

sinister gave himself a mutant gene, but i don't know how viable that is for people that aren't scientific abominations.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Aren't the Fenris twins also artificial mutants?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

killing was always this easy for her, except that kate's ethics wouldn't allow it. and well, that's no longer a factor. i bet she will be quite embarrassed when all the mutants return!

It's always morally correct to kill Nazis. Ask Captain America, whose first response to the latest turn of events was "Find me some of the most morally dubious people we have, and lets start killing people.". And if you can't trust Cap, who can you trust?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

sinister gave himself a mutant gene, but i don't know how viable that is for people that aren't scientific abominations.
I'm just saying, find some guy with an anodyne kind of mutant power and spritz his X-gene discreetly into Orchis meetings or whatever. I'm sure there's a guy out there with Matter-Eater-Lad powers.

Maybe if you have permanent emigrants to Krakoa you give them some kind of good power.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Angry Salami posted:

Aren't the Fenris twins also artificial mutants?

Yeah, that was done while they were in the womb apparently, so maybe that's easier than doing it after birth? In vitro gene editing is a technology that kind of exists in reality after all.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

unfortunately, the element that is necessary to make it all work is all of the krakoans being really loving stupid. none of these schmucks are suspicious of mother righteous at all.

Kurt was. You'd figure he would have told someone before running off.

But also it appears that Apocalypse knows what's up.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

There are also the Mutates that Magneto made in the Savage Land, though I think they are somehow distinct from X-Gene mutants.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

But also it appears that Apocalypse knows what's up.

Did I miss something? I just saw a silent page of Apocalypse at the end of Immortal and that was it...?

Also, no idea what all those Wolverines were about or how they come to life.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Saoshyant posted:

Did I miss something? I just saw a silent page of Apocalypse at the end of Immortal and that was it...?

Yeah the Apocalypse with Jean (?) on a chain like a dog seemed out of left field.

I assume the Wolverines are leftovers from Beast's program some or all of which have been reprogrammed by Orchis.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Yeah the Apocalypse with Jean (?) on a chain like a dog seemed out of left field.

I assume the Wolverines are leftovers from Beast's program some or all of which have been reprogrammed by Orchis.

This was my assumption. Either that or the whole lot are magical constructs created by Mother Righteous. Jean being there certainly calls them all into question.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

The Wolverines were attacking Mother Righteous. Then we see Apocalypse with another and Jean, maybe? Or a clone of her?

Anyway, what I took away from it was that Apocalypse was hunting down Mother Righteous.

In his last appearance, Apocalypse talks about gathering his own forces and the Revelation. In this issue, Exodus talks about Revelation coming soon. This is not a coincidence. Exodus also mentions Satan, but this being on the last panel with Apocalypse is a misdirection, I think. Who most closely resembles Satan here? Mother Righteous.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 7, 2023

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rochallor posted:

Yeah, that was done while they were in the womb apparently, so maybe that's easier than doing it after birth? In vitro gene editing is a technology that kind of exists in reality after all.

I think it’s one of the only ways it works. X-Gene has to be implanted early in life or it won’t grant powers. During Sins of Sinister being granted an X-Gene was how you got to benefit from Resurrection, but none of the baselines who were given an X-Gene seemed to have gotten powers from it.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Unrelated, but I've seen a Magneto mini on the new comics releases for a bit now and I'm wondering a) if anybody is reading it and b) why it exists? It's another of those nostalgia series set in a previous era, but it's written by J. M. DeMatteis, who I gather has had some big runs on Captain America and Spider-Man, but has written very little X-stuff and very little Marvel stuff this millennium. That shouldn't preclude somebody from working on a Magneto book, but I'm struggling to see the appeal of putting out this specific book at all.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I have it because I told my comic guy to pull everything X-Men at the start of HoXPoX, but haven't read it for the reasons you cited, combined with being annoyed that the Storm mini was the same thing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's bad. it retcons silver age magneto as being an act that he might have gotten a bit too into sometimes. he also deliberately jobbed to the xmen.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

In his last appearance, Apocalypse talks about gathering his own forces and the Revelation. In this issue, Exodus talks about Revelation coming soon. This is not a coincidence. Exodus also mentions Satan, but this being on the last panel with Apocalypse is a misdirection, I think. Who most closely resembles Satan here? Mother Righteous.

Also, 'Apocalypse' literally means 'revelation'.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Apocalypse's secondary mutation revealed to be the Omega Sanction.

Wolverine is immune

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Did anyone besides Emma get a secondary mutation? I know Beast turned into a cat and then several other things, but that could just be another side effect of the potion he took that made him blue and fuzzy in the first place.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Air Skwirl posted:

Did anyone besides Emma get a secondary mutation?

Xavier, recently(?).

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Air Skwirl posted:

Did anyone besides Emma get a secondary mutation? I know Beast turned into a cat and then several other things, but that could just be another side effect of the potion he took that made him blue and fuzzy in the first place.

Angel got healing blood.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Soft Serve was able to make FroYo too

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Air Skwirl posted:

That time Iceman turned all spiky and couldn't look human was supposed to be his secondary mutation, but since his new mutation was just "Be More Icier" everyone eventually forgot.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I think he got a completely ice form when he iced up instead of being just covered in it. But honestly who could tell

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Elixir got gold skin, Husk got mood swings (lol), Black Tom can turn into a plant.

There are some others but secondary mutations all suck besides Emma's.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Didn't Calisto get tentacles or something ? I was barely reading in that era. And Caliban got buff from Apocalypse, not a secondary mutation, right?

Synthbuttrange posted:

I think he got a completely ice form when he iced up instead of being just covered in it. But honestly who could tell

It's really funny that like three writers tried a "AND NOW HE CAN TURN INTO PURE ICE" when the first time he was able to do that (that I remember) was like 1996 or some poo poo (whenever Emma took over his body and was like "drat you ain't driving this thing right").

I think one of my favorite eras was when he had to wear a belt in X-Factor or he became a walking blizzard. I love Bobby, the best X-man

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

no the tentacles was from Masque doing his creepy poo poo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

no the tentacles was from Masque doing his creepy poo poo.

Has Masque been in anything in the Krakoa era? They should sneak into every Orchis bedroom at night and not horribly disfigure them, but just give them a permanent pimple on their forehead or nose or cheek. Just enough to make them embarrassed about public appearances but still have to do them. It would undermine moral and limit their credibility. Who would you believe Scott Summer in some dope rear end Raybans or this pimpley rear end dork?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Masque was in Marauders actually helping people in a hospital or something. He was also in New Mutants where he helped Cosmar make her new face.

(That was him right? I can't actually recognize any of these 80s mofos)