Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Technically speaking there's just base rimming, decals, and some wash/drybrush on the bases I should do but for all intents and purposes it's "done"

Those look great! Now I feel guilty for letting my Squats Kill Team languish unpainted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Beginning to work on my first big steppy bot and my first real vehicle. I'm painting it in two parts and was going to mimic the foot soldiers but I think its really not working so far. Not super sure where to take it. I might want to take the blue further down the leg, and intersperse it onto some of the armored bits. I'm also wondering if I should keep French WW1 going and paint it in that cameo style, but i might just do that for the lemon russ. I also thought about painting it in the style of the russian fighters. I dunno!

Also, what color to paint the weapons? If i keep the blue going its going to mess with the blue of the plasma, right? Or maybe they'll be distinct enough to still stand out.

Wrr fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 5, 2023

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Wrr posted:

Beginning to work on my first big steppy bot and my first real vehicle. I'm painting it in two parts and was going to mimic the foot soldiers but I think its really not working so far. Not super sure where to take it. I might want to take the blue further down the leg, and intersperse it onto some of the armored bits. I'm also wondering if I should keep French WW1 going and paint it in that cameo style, but i might just do that for the lemon russ. I also thought about painting it in the style of the russian fighters. I dunno!

Also, what color to paint the weapons? If i keep the blue going its going to mess with the blue of the plasma, right? Or maybe they'll be distinct enough to still stand out.
Maybe you could change it up so the body is blue, the limbs are a neutral colour (grey or tan or something like that) and then do the weapons as red with the blue plasma glow?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Wrr posted:

I think the colour scheme works. I agree with the above poster that the weapons should be in neutral dark grey. Maybe you could bring the blue down onto the thighs of the legs? That would make the colour is more proportionate to the figure?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Honestly I think the main thing is to paint the top armour plate on the legs (the "thigh" plate if you like) blue, that will almost certainly make it feel more deliberate instead of "we ran out of blue mech legs, you're gonna have to just use these red ones in the meantime" (and will also suggest the way your infantry has the blue long coats covering them to the knee). As for the weapons, I'd probably go with black if I didnt have any better ideas, but I will also say that there is no actual reason plasma coils have to be blue, if you want blue weapons and the blue plasma coil wont work (not a given btw) then make the plasma yellow or green or red or pink. Its worth remembering that a) Plasma is essentially superheated ionised gas, different gases give out different colours when you whack a couple thousand volts through them, and b) its all made up nonsense anyway so that plasma gun uses a bright pink because you wanted it to is a perfectly fine explaination.

SiKboy fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 6, 2023

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Southern Heel posted:

Cheeky tiny chaos dwarf WIP, a thousand points for trying out Warmaster:

What is wrong with us?

"I think I will try out this game/army and see if I like it". And then we print/buy, and paint dozens of minis rather than just proxy.

Why do I do this? WHY?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Indolent Bastard posted:

What is wrong with us?

"I think I will try out this game/army and see if I like it". And then we print/buy, and paint dozens of minis rather than just proxy.

Why do I do this? WHY?

Sometimes making and painting stuff is more fun than actually playing the game those things are for.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Spanish Manlove posted:

Sometimes making and painting stuff is more fun than actually playing the game those things are for.

See: me not playing 40k in 6+ months yet painting 2000 points of stuff during that time.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I just like painting little mens

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Shoehead posted:

I just like painting little mens

same

they're the only friends i have

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

they're the only friends i have

The sad truth.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

i said i'd decal them and damnit i will

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Wrr posted:

Nthing the idea to bring the blue down to the thighs. Maybe do a black stripe up the sides, too. You can never have too much cran.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Spanish Manlove posted:

In the past two and a half years I have probably painted over five hundred miniatures. As I play most of my games online I have used minis I painted in a game exactly once.

Phantombane
Sep 29, 2021
Has anyone here used the Molotow One 4 all refills as primer before?

I've seen Marco Frisoni and a few other people recommend it as an airbrush and brush on primer due to it's ease of use and durability, so I picked up a bottle of the signal black to experiment with. I gave it a shot and it went on just as easily as described, but the durability has been pretty bad even after letting it cure on the model for almost a week. It scratches off easily even just running my nail over it while deliberately avoiding scraping or gouging motions, even just brushing the end of a toothpick against it lightly scratches it. The old Stynelrez primers or normal vallejo primers didn't act like this for me and vallejo mecha color black primer, which is my current normal primer, is functionally indestructible by comparison unless I use chemicals or metal tools on it.

All the reviews of this stuff I've seen when used for miniatures have been positive, so I'm wondering what's wrong here. Is it a bad bottle, are the reviews overblown, is it user error, or am I just expecting too much from it?

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Its amazing how much it can help to simply repaint 5 little bits of armor

Still a lot of work to do but I feel much better about it

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO
Colour scheme test for a new Blood Bowl project:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

dmnz posted:

Colour scheme test for a new Blood Bowl project:

Go for it!

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
First stuff I've painted up for 40k in a while, it's been mostly Warhammer Underworlds and Star Wars Shatterpoint lately. I might come back and do some edge highlighting later, I had trouble finding the right blend and the edges were either coming out too subtle or too bright. I had a lot of fun doing all the conversion/kitbashing to make them Space Wolfy, but man that adds a bunch of fiddly junk to paint later. Worth it, though, that conversion work is my favorite part of the process.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Phantombane posted:

Has anyone here used the Molotow One 4 all refills as primer before?

I've seen Marco Frisoni and a few other people recommend it as an airbrush and brush on primer due to it's ease of use and durability, so I picked up a bottle of the signal black to experiment with. I gave it a shot and it went on just as easily as described, but the durability has been pretty bad even after letting it cure on the model for almost a week. It scratches off easily even just running my nail over it while deliberately avoiding scraping or gouging motions, even just brushing the end of a toothpick against it lightly scratches it. The old Stynelrez primers or normal vallejo primers didn't act like this for me and vallejo mecha color black primer, which is my current normal primer, is functionally indestructible by comparison unless I use chemicals or metal tools on it.

All the reviews of this stuff I've seen when used for miniatures have been positive, so I'm wondering what's wrong here. Is it a bad bottle, are the reviews overblown, is it user error, or am I just expecting too much from it?

Are you airbrushing it or brush painting? I've found it pretty bulletproof through the airbrush. The only issues I have sometimes is that it separates pretty quickly.

It isn't really a "true" primer, it really is just an alcohol based acrylic but you don't really need a proper primer for plastic minis.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Indolent Bastard posted:

What is wrong with us?

Why do I do this? WHY?

Forget proxies - I could just use plain MDF bases with felt-tipped marker unit designations - but if we're going down that instrumentalist philosophy then it'd be better done on a computer or purely as a mathematical exercise.

I can see a justification for empty bases with NATO symbols, or proxies, or whatever if you have a desperate need to field an army for a game with a friend who doesn't have enough, or for a battle that was a result of some strategic coup on your part that involves more troops than you have available - but for me I'm under no pressure for time (and space constraints are largely moot in 10mm) so I'm happy (particularly with 3D printing) to at least have broadly the correct miniatures.

I am absolutely happy to proxy my ECW Pikeman as Empire Halberdiers or my 2mm Napoleonic Russians as British American troops or whatever (and indeed, using Chaos Dwarfs in Dragon Rampant has heavy missiles, etc.) - but part of the reason I'm playing a miniature game is to have figures on the table, otherwise see point 1 above: I've only actually played one game with my 8mm space marines/tyranids but they were no less enjoyable to model and use for it.

WIP Warmaster Chaos Dwarfs

I've got at least one strip per base done and painted, and though I still have another ~20 strips of painting to fill out both ranks, I feel this is the tipping point for an enjoyable game?any tips for Chaos Dwarf/Hobgoblin Banners?

The mere addition of the (WIP) General on Taurus pushes the army up to 1500pts which I'm quite happy with and though a few notional units would push to 2000pts, at that point I am almost certainly out of space to play, my only board being 3x3' - and the number of figures then required for my competing Undead army becomes quite egregious!

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Sep 7, 2023

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Wrr posted:

Its amazing how much it can help to simply repaint 5 little bits of armor

Still a lot of work to do but I feel much better about it
Yeah that’s tying it all together nicely, great job.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I wrapped up a bunch of projects last night.

Tiny tanks for the game Tonks.

Dice jail for when naughty dice need a timeout.

15mm chibi Doom for my friend's copy of Demonship.

A boat for some fantasy terrain.

Yes-man, just because. 🙂

Phantombane
Sep 29, 2021

Paragon8 posted:

Are you airbrushing it or brush painting? I've found it pretty bulletproof through the airbrush. The only issues I have sometimes is that it separates pretty quickly.

It isn't really a "true" primer, it really is just an alcohol based acrylic but you don't really need a proper primer for plastic minis.

Brush painting, but the reviews that I was able to find that also brush painted it were as equally positive about it as the ones that airbrushed it. I know most airbrush primers don't work as well when brush primed, but none of the ones I've tried before have been comparatively worse enough to just not work at all. I know this stuff isn't a true primer, but I figured with it being designed for graffiti and for use through a paint pen that it would at least be more durable than airbrush paint or standard acrylic paints when applied with a brush.

I'm hoping that this was just a case of user error or a bad bottle, both because it did apply completely hassle free and otherwise it's back to the drawing board finding a new brush on primer. The mecha color black primer I currently use may be excellent for my purposes, but it's a bit pricey per ml and has incredibly spotty availability online which often ends up just making it cost even more.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The regular Vallejo black primer works really well brushed on, it's what I use. They also have it in a variety of colors if black isn't your spice in life

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Indolent Bastard posted:

I wrapped up a bunch of projects last night

Yes-man, just because. 🙂

I love him

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Phantombane posted:

Brush painting, but the reviews that I was able to find that also brush painted it were as equally positive about it as the ones that airbrushed it. I know most airbrush primers don't work as well when brush primed, but none of the ones I've tried before have been comparatively worse enough to just not work at all. I know this stuff isn't a true primer, but I figured with it being designed for graffiti and for use through a paint pen that it would at least be more durable than airbrush paint or standard acrylic paints when applied with a brush.

I'm hoping that this was just a case of user error or a bad bottle, both because it did apply completely hassle free and otherwise it's back to the drawing board finding a new brush on primer. The mecha color black primer I currently use may be excellent for my purposes, but it's a bit pricey per ml and has incredibly spotty availability online which often ends up just making it cost even more.

hmm, I've never brush painted the molotow paints. I've got a few other colors inspired by Marco as well. If I have a spare moment I'll try and brush paint a tester to see how I fare with it brush painted.

On the rare times I do brush prime I use an old vallejo primer which I've had terrible experiences airbrushing.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
finished my train station from brigade models

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Nebalebadingdong posted:

That graffiti is insane, well done

Phantombane
Sep 29, 2021

Paragon8 posted:

hmm, I've never brush painted the molotow paints. I've got a few other colors inspired by Marco as well. If I have a spare moment I'll try and brush paint a tester to see how I fare with it brush painted.

I appreciate the thought, but please only do that if you really want to! I wouldn't want you using up time, effort and materials simply on my behalf.

I think since both my 1 thin coat and 2 thin coats tester models failed the durability test that I'll give the 2 coat one a third coat in the next couple of days and see if that somehow salvages it.

Spanish Manlove posted:

The regular Vallejo black primer works really well brushed on, it's what I use. They also have it in a variety of colors if black isn't your spice in life

Paragon8 posted:

On the rare times I do brush prime I use an old vallejo primer which I've had terrible experiences airbrushing.

Thank you for the recommendation, but I've used it in the past and found it to be kind of fussy to work with, in particular the fact that it loved to form bubbles that I had to baby to make sure they popped before they dried or they would leave crater like textures. Personally I'd rather pay the price difference between the regular vallejo primer and the mecha primer to not have to deal with that.

I wish Badger hadn't gone so downhill in recent years, their Stynelrez primer used to be my gold standard for both airbrush and brush on priming. It wasn't quite as durable as the vallejo mecha primer but it was more than adequate, and was both cheaper per ml and easier to get.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Phantombane posted:

I appreciate the thought, but please only do that if you really want to! I wouldn't want you using up time, effort and materials simply on my behalf.

I think since both my 1 thin coat and 2 thin coats tester models failed the durability test that I'll give the 2 coat one a third coat in the next couple of days and see if that somehow salvages it.

Thank you for the recommendation, but I've used it in the past and found it to be kind of fussy to work with, in particular the fact that it loved to form bubbles that I had to baby to make sure they popped before they dried or they would leave crater like textures. Personally I'd rather pay the price difference between the regular vallejo primer and the mecha primer to not have to deal with that.

I wish Badger hadn't gone so downhill in recent years, their Stynelrez primer used to be my gold standard for both airbrush and brush on priming. It wasn't quite as durable as the vallejo mecha primer but it was more than adequate, and was both cheaper per ml and easier to get.

Yeah there was definitely something magic about Stynelrez, I've been scared off getting a new one.

I've played around with Pro Acryl/Monuments primer and that feels pretty decent but not sure its a huge step up from vallejo.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Spanish Manlove posted:

Posted about it a couple weeks ago but grey Vallejo is terrible when brushed on.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

next up in the queue

Phantombane
Sep 29, 2021

Paragon8 posted:

Yeah there was definitely something magic about Stynelrez, I've been scared off getting a new one.

There certainly was :( .

I ended up with 2 bottles of the "new formula" before people had caught on that they had suddenly changed it without saying anything, and those bottles were unbelievably poo poo compared to the original formula. They did finally admit that they had lied about the formula changing, and then pinky promised they had returned to the original formula but I have no reason to trust them on that.

Paragon8 posted:

I've played around with Pro Acryl/Monuments primer and that feels pretty decent but not sure its a huge step up from vallejo.

If I can't get the Molotow to work for my purposes then I'll probably try picking some of this up next time I order some pro acryl paints. I've been nothing but incredibly pleased with all their regular acrylics that I've tried.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Phantombane posted:

There certainly was :( .

I ended up with 2 bottles of the "new formula" before people had caught on that they had suddenly changed it without saying anything, and those bottles were unbelievably poo poo compared to the original formula. They did finally admit that they had lied about the formula changing, and then pinky promised they had returned to the original formula but I have no reason to trust them on that.

If I can't get the Molotow to work for my purposes then I'll probably try picking some of this up next time I order some pro acryl paints. I've been nothing but incredibly pleased with all their regular acrylics that I've tried.

I did just quickly slop some on with a brush on a random space marine and it does scratch off with a toothpick for me right after painting. I haven't ever tried it after airbrushing so I'm not sure if that's different.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Nebalebadingdong posted:

daaaaaaaaaaaang

Phantombane
Sep 29, 2021

Paragon8 posted:

I did just quickly slop some on with a brush on a random space marine and it does scratch off with a toothpick for me right after painting. I haven't ever tried it after airbrushing so I'm not sure if that's different.

That's a disappointing, but good to know result. Thanks for giving it a try. I might give it another try through my airbrush when I can finally start airbrushing again and see if it performs better there, but sadly that's pretty unlikely to happen for the foreseeable future.

In the meantime I guess I'll just keep looking for an alternative.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I enjoyed this so much I showed it to my wife anyway, knowing how many fucks she would give. Excellent work

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Nebalebadingdong posted:

*the tiniest voice emanates* MIND THE GAP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Some good as heck transit right there