Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

bob dobbs is dead posted:

nah theres a lotta proclaimed dynasties that dont last any time, the historians just erase em from the non obscure books and move on

yeah the funniest one of that is the Han dynasty, which literally has a seminal book of Chinese literature written on how it was overthrown by the Villain Cao Cao... whose dynastic reign was so short (just him and his son) that it gets folded into the tenure of the dynasty he supposedly overthrew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Qin also lasted like a weekend but being the first to conquer and unify a single Chinese empire counts for a lot.

The Sui were unifiers too, unfortunately they were also obssessed with sticking their dick in the hornet's nest of Korea and got wrecked in spectacular fashion.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
I’m going to live my entire life and never see a golf course converted into a public park. :sad:

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Wonton posted:

It’s not just golf course land though, there’s also some dilapidated seniors center which will get torn down. But the Royal Hong Kong Golf Club (yes royal because the crest is still inside the buildings but hidden) pays a symbolic $1 HKD per year.

Golf is the easy target because it’s a former colonial institution and the government doesn’t want to go after sketchy brownfield sites occupied by villager squatters.

But there’s another 9 hole golf course in the south HK island so the sport can still be around

Singapore took the approach of charging leaseholders a pretty penny; Hong Kong instead charged a nominal fee in return for some quantum of public access (which of course was immediately rigged to be predominantly the schoolchildren and NGOs of the upper middle class anyway). On the whole I think Singapore got the better deal.

That the brief 1990s-2000s flourishing of Hong Kong civil society predominantly took the form of middle-class greenists and antidevelopmentalists in an alliance of convenience with landowners against further reclamation of Victoria Harbour leaves... an unfortunate legacy, shall we say. Hong Kong was not alone in this: such activism also shaped Singapore in the same period, cancelling new towns and developments that were previously planned (also under very similar demographic circumstances: a political charge led by an Anglophone, highly internationalized minority adept at channelling international NGOs and deeply uneasy about changes erasing heritage and identity).

But Singapore can form another mandate to shift priorities back to housing construction, whereas Hong Kong cannot; Carrie Lam's troubled Task Force on Land Supply cannot claim any mandate and is transparently just taking dictation from mainland state media analysis that pinned the cause of HK public dissatisfaction on unaffordable housing (and certainly not anything else, ahem). Which might well be true, but oddly enough this analysis is never applied to Greater Bay Area housing prices in general.

In the end Beijing did not need to reclaim Victoria Harbour to demolish symbols of Hong Konger identity or to rebuild it into a policeable public space that can crush protest movements at will. It did not need to transform the waterfront into a tame theme-park; it could transform the whole city at will.

ronya fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 2, 2023

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

But why not destroy everything beautiful in the world just in case?

Now for lease, luxury apartments in East Shenzhen!

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the most important consequence of India -> Bharat: hit like and SUBSCRIBE

e: oh drat, Argentina

ronya fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 5, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

thetoughestbean posted:

I love fried chicken and steaks as much as the next red-blooded American but seafood is drat good and I’ll not hear a word against it

I really think seafood's the least good and so much of it is outright vile. But I've never eaten insects and stuff so I cannot comment.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

seafood is really good, and i say that as someone who can't eat half of it

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

His Divine Shadow posted:

But I've never eaten insects and stuff so I cannot comment.

I've eaten lots of bugs, and I'll take every chance I get to comment on them. I think a lot of bugs taste good, but there are just some problems with the whole family of food.

Like cicadas taste really good, but you gotta deal with the texture and it's like a crunch but not the kinda crunch you'd think. More like a thin crunchy wrapper, and then a weird big pillow of softness inside that just isn't good, because it's a weird softness. I feel like there just has to be a better way to cook them. They're fried, and I'm thinking maybe if they were boiled and eaten like shrimp? Might be better?

Silkworms just suck, at any stage of their life. It's a bad texture, they're just not good. I don't know why they're so commonly eaten in so many places. They don't have a lot of flavor and a real bad texture.

Crickets are very ok. They don't have anything too weird that jumps out so you can eat a lot of them pretty easily.

Mealworms are the best bug, hands down. They're intensely flavorful, like a really condensed chicken broth.

I really like seafood though, too. And, I think overall seafood is a lot better than bugs but seafood is my favorite kind of food so I'm biased.

I'd actually experiment with cooking cicadas in a different way but you kinda gotta go out and catch them yourself (which tons of Chinese people do) because even though you can buy them in stores they're expensive for what they are when you do it that way.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
A lot of seafood is just giant water bugs.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

A lot of seafood is just giant water bugs.
:pastryno:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Crustaceans are water insects

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i can definitely vouch for crickets being aggressively ok. i'd prefer cricket as a staple over a purely vegetarian/carb heavy diet as a diabetic, but pretty much any kind of traditional meat you can come up with is a lot more appetizing. chicken blows every insect i've ever eaten clear out of the water.

the other major thing about insects is that they don't really take to any sauces i'm aware of, either traditional or modern, that well. like, i tried a mushroom ketchup on cricket at one point since they used it on freaking everything in the 18th century and i was like "well, maybe". nope. didn't really help. still the same cricket.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Crustaceans are water insects

This. They're all just different size and shapes of arthropods.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
you can't do a maillard reaction on bugs, massively limiting their potential

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

goblin week posted:

you can't do a maillard reaction on bugs, massively limiting their potential

Maybe you’re not trying hard enough

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

BrainDance posted:

Crickets are very ok. They don't have anything too weird that jumps out so you can eat a lot of them pretty easily.

unless you don't cook them enough :p

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
do crickets get those cool worms inside like mantids

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Everyone gets those cool worms inside.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Mr. Nice! posted:

This. They're all just different size and shapes of arthropods.

This is why I'm thinking cooking them more like shrimp would work. Though I also think we need to breed bigger bugs to make the whole thing worth it.

The one I have not had the opportunity to try (and one I just can't try, I want to, I cannot bring myself to do it. My first apartment in Korea was above a duck restaurant. All the pipes connect I don't understand how these pipes work it's like a maze in between every room in a building. Centipedes like duck bones apparently, like everyone I talked to was all "well obviously it's the duck bones, don't you know how much centipedes love duck bones? Everyone knows that, but yeah I'd have centipedes. Crawling around my wall at night. loving nightmare stuff. It was horrible. So I've had the opportunity to eat them before, I just can't bring myself to. They are repulsive to me. I really dislike this about myself because not eating the centipedes goes against my philosophy on food.)

But tarantulas. Haven't had the opportunity. I think they'd work much better because of their size, youd probably get some real meat from them, and I wanna compare it to crab.

Though I wonder how many bugs you could prepare like those little heavily sauced Korean crabs? If that'd make a sauce actually work with them. Or pickled bugs. I do think bugs rarity in food is super limiting, that there hasn't been enough experimentation and development in ways to properly prepare them because of it.

I've noticed though the people that like cicadas loving love cicadas. There's almost no middle ground there.

Now that I'm thinking about this I don't think I'd be able to bring myself to eat cockroaches either. I think some people might? Though I've never seen any sold as food.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

From the Simpsons thread:

SeanBeansShako posted:

Stolen from another goon discord:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Brutal Garcon posted:

lol

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
All of them are great but I loving died on Taiping

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Brutal Garcon posted:

this is a beautiful thing

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Brutal Garcon posted:

lmao bottom row best row

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
I'm vegan but ant egg pancakes are borderline enough, pretty nice like soft fatty rice

quote:

Now that I'm thinking about this I don't think I'd be able to bring myself to eat cockroaches either. I think some people might? Though I've never seen any sold as food.

my mother-in law made money collecting cockroaches as a child but I think they were just used for chinese medicine

Vesi fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 7, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Vesi posted:

my mother-in law made money collecting cockroaches as a child but I think they were just used for chinese medicine

Yeah I've seen "medicinal" baijiu tanks full of cockroaches.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

do crickets get those cool worms inside like mantids

They get paragordius worms, as opposed to chordodes worms found in mantids. They are however closely related and both kill their hosts by making them drown theirselves

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Uh oh, looks like National Feelings are in danger of being hurt again!!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-66737272

quote:

The contentious clauses suggest that people who wear or force others to wear clothing and symbols that "undermine the spirit or hurt the feelings of the Chinese nation" could be detained for up to 15 days and fined up to 5,000 yuan ($680; £550).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

free hubcaps posted:

brb ordering the patches

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

free hubcaps posted:

Wearing a suit? That's a paddlin'.
Wearing a kimono? That's a paddlin'.
Wearing a Japanese military uniform? That's a paddlin'.
Questioning exactly what constitutes an insult to the spirit of the Chinese people? Oh you better believe that's a paddlin'.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I wanna be the first guy arrested for saying "all that poo poo about Lei Feng, like, maybe he was an actual guy but it's all kind of bullshit, you know?"

quote:

Legal experts are concerned that vague phrases like "hurting national feelings" will make enforcement problematic

This just sounds like they're picking quarrels and provoking trouble.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

BrainDance posted:

This just sounds like they're picking quarrels and provoking trouble.

Why, that is the kind of behavior that promotes disharmony.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
If bugs are so cheap and the solution to all our woes, why can’t I buy bug meat dog food for less than :5bux: a pound?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Borscht posted:

If bugs are so cheap and the solution to all our woes, why can’t I buy bug meat dog food for less than :5bux: a pound?

because pumbaa and timon aren't in your country's executive seat

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
China Thread: Bug Eatin' Critiques on Page 660

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

quote:

SK Hynix Investigating Use of Its Chips in New Huawei Phone

- Korean maker says it hasn’t worked with Huawei since sanctions
- Mate 60 Pro handset uses Hynix memory and flash storage chips

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...checkout-banner

Non-paywalled version:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/sk-hynix-digs-deep-into-sanctions-breaking-ghost-ram-in-huawei-phone

:lol: Memory chips with Chinese characteristics , although not as ominous as clothing with Chinese characteristics,

I wonder why non-China fabs never pushed the older technology to hit 7mm, seems a bit of a money grab. I guess they always have to keep moving forward and allegedly permit a faster jump to the next smaller feature size.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 8, 2023

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Borscht posted:

nobody's made a dog-sized pod yet

also, I bet it's a lot easier to find dog meat bug food instead.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Mons Hubris posted:

I posted in the (understandably) dead China travel thread as well, but I'm going to be in Beijing in a couple weeks for the first time since 2019. Is anyone in this thread in China now? Is there any post-covid cultural stuff to be aware of? Did most of the businesses survive the lockdowns?

Late on this, but: still around. Things seem fairly similar to before the lockdowns, albeit with the periodic waves of covid that everywhere gets these days. Masks are common among people who have it or really can't afford to get it, but masking up when sick was common before, so not a huge shift. Big businesses survived for the most part, but lots of small ones didn't. They've been replaced, but some variety has gone from the shopping and eating in the small city I live in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Thailand is basically the same as it was but weed is everywhere and legal this time.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 8, 2023