Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Some people spent who knows how much to retrofit the 1M rear fenders on a regular 1 series for who knows why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Cojawfee posted:

Some people spent who knows how much to retrofit the 1M rear fenders on a regular 1 series for who knows why.

I know of a couple that had been done because they were S65 swapping but uh yeah. I imagine it’s pretty similar to retrofitting M3 rear fenders on to an E91.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
At least one person came to their senses on the 1 series forum. They were getting parts together until the shop showed them how much it would cost vs just buying a 1M.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Cojawfee posted:

At least one person came to their senses on the 1 series forum. They were getting parts together until the shop showed them how much it would cost vs just buying a 1M.

I have dumb brain worms that at some point I would love full body work S65 E91 M3 and S65 E82 ‘1M’ and for the E82 part of me would feel bad doing that swap to a limited production 1M. And since we are already talking about lighting money on fire…it does also open up more than just 3 colors even if AW is a great color.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Just buy a E90 M3 and save most of the horror IMHO. You're right to have these feelings because the engine is phenomenal, but they did sell them stock in a pretty acceptable as-is configuration.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The color thing is silly when wraps exist.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I was watching a review of the new X5 and X6 and they said that the V8 model is now badged as the X60i instead of the X50i. Apparently that's because, even though the V8 still puts out 523 HP, it now uses the S68 engine with a different tune from the X5 M and X6 M.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

Apparently that's because, even though the V8 still puts out 523 HP, it now uses the S68 engine with a different tune from the X5 M and X6 M. marketing department says "number go up"

FTFY

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Well yeah, plus they can charge more since it's a "real M engine" and it reduces their costs since they're simplifying production.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

TheBacon posted:

I have dumb brain worms that at some point I would love full body work S65 E91 M3 and S65 E82 ‘1M’ and for the E82 part of me would feel bad doing that swap to a limited production 1M. And since we are already talking about lighting money on fire…it does also open up more than just 3 colors even if AW is a great color.

At some point the N54 in a 1M will die and it would only be fitting to cram an S65 in there.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I am not sure why but I have a sort of visceral hate for wraps :shrug:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Very happy with mine, but I like that the base color was black so whenever you see where they didn't wrap it, it just kinda blends in. If you went purple over yellow, for example, that yellow will be mega apparent on the doors or engine bay.

Slightly wish I waited longer to pay one of the more expensive shops to do a better job, but overall "good enough" is in fact good enough for me. I might just get it redone with next year's bonus.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's been at least 15 pages since the last time we discussed this, what are the reputable east bay bimmer shops, preferably Berkeley to Pittsburgh but willing to drive further for a good shop

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Recently I got my car inspected and it sat out in the sun in 100+ degree heat and I guess the glue on the fake leather insert on the door panel failed and keeps flopping down. Anyone have any ideas for what kind of adhesive I could use to restick it to the door panel without looking like absolute poo poo? I'm able to cram it back up and it looks like it never happened, so I just need to figure out what kind of glue to make it stick. Ideally something with a longer setting time that isn't messy so I have time to jam the edges into the crevice it goes into without it also smushing out and making a mess.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Hadlock posted:

It's been at least 15 pages since the last time we discussed this, what are the reputable east bay bimmer shops, preferably Berkeley to Pittsburgh but willing to drive further for a good shop

If you are willing to go to mountain view, I highly recommend greg at performance dynamic

Performance Dynamic
(669) 666-1586

https://g.co/kgs/KHRwai

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

TheBacon posted:

I have posted this here before but everyone needs to go through and look at this auction: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2009-bmw-1-series-3/

This is the most glorious 1er that has ever been created.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Anyone have a newer BMW with the "Driving Assistance Professional Package"? I want the Adaptive Cruise Control - but the rest really seems like poo poo I don't care about/won't use.

Here is the blurb:
Innovative camera/radar-based driver assistance systems provide partly-automated support to deliver peace of mind. Features like Active Cruise Control(Want), Steering and Lane Keeping Assistant(Normally Turn Off), Lane Change Assistant(What is this?), and Evasion Aid(What is this?) assist the driver during critical driving situations, such as the sudden presence of vehicles or pedestrians in front of the car.

Traffic Jam Assistant provides partially automated steering input on certain roadways up to 40 MPH in suitable driving conditions.(This actually sounds cool in conjunction with ACC for times I'm stuck in traffic - Not often, but handy)

Looking for input from anyone having used this stuff. Thanks!

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I have posted this here before but everyone needs to go through and look at this auction: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2009-bmw-1-series-3/

This is the most glorious 1er that has ever been created.

:vince:

But also lol yeah that’s not going to sell

Absolutely dying at “a $9k lien is on the title” like lmfao with how much he put into the build you’d think he could spend the chump change to lay off the loan.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

TheBacon posted:

:vince:

But also lol yeah that’s not going to sell

Absolutely dying at “a $9k lien is on the title” like lmfao with how much he put into the build you’d think he could spend the chump change to lay off the loan.
looks like it sold for $70k in 2017

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Says "Bid To" not "Sold For". Does BAT disclose if something sells afterwards like C&B does?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

looks like it sold for $70k in 2017

Correction - it was BID to $70,000 in 2017, the reserve was not met. This car has been up there as far as one of the best BMWs I have ever seen cross the Bring a Trailer site.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

TheFonz posted:

Anyone have a newer BMW with the "Driving Assistance Professional Package"? I want the Adaptive Cruise Control - but the rest really seems like poo poo I don't care about/won't use.

Generally you need to buy that package to get Adaptive Cruise, it was like that for the X5 I got. I did not option it, and so have regular cruise control only, which is pretty hilarious/lame given the cost of the car. The current generation of 'hands off' highway assist that BMW has is supposed to be superb. I have some regrets about not spending the extra $2k.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Sab669 posted:

Says "Bid To" not "Sold For". Does BAT disclose if something sells afterwards like C&B does?

Not officially, sometimes a seller might come back and report themselves.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
On a reserve not met auction BaT will exchange seller and high bidder contact info if there's mutual interest in discussion of prices. At least that's how it worked in 2018.

edit: no disclosure of a deal, though

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ah, yea C&B will say "Sold Afterwards" if the highest bidder and seller can make an agreement after the auction ends

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

sanchez posted:

Generally you need to buy that package to get Adaptive Cruise, it was like that for the X5 I got. I did not option it, and so have regular cruise control only, which is pretty hilarious/lame given the cost of the car. The current generation of 'hands off' highway assist that BMW has is supposed to be superb. I have some regrets about not spending the extra $2k.

That's my concern. I feel like I don't really want to pay 1,700 for adaptive cruise and a stop and go traffic assistant, but with how much the car costs, not having it seems absurd and I'll feel like I regret not optioning it.
Edit: also having to turn the drat lane nanny off, which I hate.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
"Bid to $70k" is pretty hilarious for a homemade car (with a lein on it, lol) with zero real builder provenance when there's actually factory built cars with an S65 in them AND all the rest of the M parts available for $40k.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I want to get a fun color in a 991 next year but the PTS cars go for stupid money. Absolutely ridiculous money. Hell, just finding a manual car not in white, black, or gray is a challenge.

I’ve been thinking about getting a black one and wrapping it in a fun color. The purist in me doesn’t like it but I don’t have the deep pockets (or the connections) for the factory stuff.

Fuller9x
Feb 15, 2005

Gimme Milk
[quote="TheFonz" post="534292734"]
Active Cruise Control(Want),
Use this all the time. Set the distance and speed normally 10 over the limit. Let the car creep up and maintain the following distance, use the extra speed to overtake and creep up on the next car.

Steering and Lane Keeping Assistant(Normally Turn Off),
Can be a bit agressive, but they toned the snatching down with the latest ota firmware update, so I keep it on nowadays.

Lane Change Assistant(What is this?)
When you are using the auto steer assist, signal left or right and the car will change lanes by itself based on the direction you signal. Around here, the lane markings are hard to read during the day, but at night the system is much better with the headlights illuminating the lines allowing the system cameras to better make them out.

Evasion Aid(What is this?)
Autonomous braking. If it detects a car coming at you from the sides or you're about to rear end someone, or someone walking out into traffic, it will brake the car automatically with full emergency braking. I get a couple of false hits due to sun, so it can be quite unerving when it triggers and youre slammed backwards into the seat. But ive had one real trigger where an uber came out of a hotel lobby without stopping, so worth it.

Traffic Jam Assistant provides partially automated steering input on certain roadways up to 40 MPH in suitable driving conditions.(This actually sounds cool in conjunction with ACC for times I'm stuck in traffic - Not often, but handy)

Yeah, turn on the autonomous driving and it will brake, steer and drive during bumper to bumper. If im tired, iIll turn it on during the gridlock of getting out of downtown. After that, Im relaxed and can take over once traffic thins out.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

I really appreciate this. I think I'll option it - Mostly for the ACC. The Lane keep assist - The snatching is what I hate about it so interesting that got turned down. I'll have to try it before I just flip it off.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I have the Traffic Jam Assistant (fka ADAP) on my I4 and it is very handy on highways in traffic jams. Now that weed is legal in MD it's nice to be able to let bmw take the wheel for a min while I take a fat rip off a bubbler without having to use my knee to keep control

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

Fellow E9X M3 owners - how graunchy are your rear diffs at low speed? I've been noticing more and more noise coming from the back during tight low-speed turns and was wondering if it was a sign that the diff is wearing out. It's specifically worse with a small amount of throttle applied, but it's present with no throttle as well.

Also, I have an issue with the power steering that is driving me nuts. I'm running the Turner pulley kit which comes with its own belts, and ever since installing it I've experienced very bad belt slippage for a period after starting the car. It's not just the noise that's an issue, it's very obvious that the PS system pressure drops significantly at the same time and the wheels don't turn. Once the system is warm the issue goes away and I haven't experienced any steering problems so far during spirited mountain driving, but I'm concerned that at some point in the future the belt will slip during hard cornering (i.e. when the pressure demand is highest) and put me into a tree/wall/canal.

Clearly the belt tension is a problem, however I've replaced the belt tensioners and I'm still experiencing the problem. I'm not used to 'auto' belt tensioners - on older cars I'd just crank the adjustment a bit further until the slipping stops, but I don't think the S65 has any such manual adjustment capability.

What I'm left with at the moment is either the belt that came with the kit was wrong, or the pump itself has a fault, or there's some other fault with the steering rack, and/or I screwed up the installation. My car is a 09/2007 build and I requested the correct Turner kit i.e. with the PS belt going 'over' the pulley rather than under.

Any ideas on either problem?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Is it a sort of “click” you hear when you first get going?

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Is it a sort of “click” you hear when you first get going?

The diff noise is more of a gravelly scraping/tumbling, and it's only during tight turns, nothing when travelling straight. It's almost like the diff is locking and dragging the inside wheel rather than letting it rotate, but a bit more metallic.

The belt noise is the classic high-pitched squealing.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
my e39 m5 is coming up on needing a clutch; my mechanic predicted it and it's started to noticeably slip in higher gears

what are the "while you're in there" things to consider adding on to a new clutch? i'm assuming the clutch job itself will be 2500-3000 bucks :(

side note, i'm kind of on the fence about committing to the car for another several years and am considering the maintenance items that should be taken care of for a car of that age. the things that come to mind are:
- basically all suspension bushings, transmission bushings, etc. most bushings
- rubber seals
- cooling system? :whitewater:
- misc paint chips and a tiny rust spot or two
- transmission and diff fluid were done a few years ago but the car has only done maybe 10k miles since

i'm fairly handy but don't even have off-street parking, so my DIY options are limited to relatively simple stuff. it feels like the clutch + "fixing up a 20 year old car" could easily get to $10k so it feels like it's time to either commit to a project or move on

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Am I an idiot for considering a high mileage ZHP?

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/d/battle-ground-2003-bmw-330i-zhp/7663478963.html

Seller says:

quote:

It was owned by a BMW mechanic before me which is where all these repairs where done. I purchased the car in 8/2020 and have put less than 5k miles on it, I drove it daily initially, but my intent was always to garage it for sunny days.

Here is the list of things I have documentation on. Subframe shows no signs of cracking, but we can easily jack it up if you want to get under there and look yourself.

Exhaust Air Pump Valve – 233k

Injectors – 227k

Fuel Pump/Filter – 228k

VANOS Rebuilt – 223k

P/S Rack, Tie Rods, Steering Coupler – 218k

Water Pump – 217k

Clutch/Shiter Bushings – 214k

Control Arm Bushings, Struts – 210k

Oil Pan – 209k

Engine Mounts – 209k

MAF – 198k

A/C Compressor and related parts – 197k

Tune Up – 197k

Crankcase Vent System – 182k

Radiator – 145k

Brakes and tires have years of use left.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
imho that is a lot of money for a 20 year old non-M car with 200k+ miles. For slightly more I'd rather get an M3 with a SMG.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Popete posted:

imho that is a lot of money for a 20 year old non-M car with 200k+ miles. For slightly more I'd rather get an M3 with a SMG.

I thought even the SMGs were still at least twice the asking of that ZHP?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

TheBacon posted:

I thought even the SMGs were still at least twice the asking of that ZHP?

True you may also have to get a convertible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

Fellow E9X M3 owners - how graunchy are your rear diffs at low speed? I've been noticing more and more noise coming from the back during tight low-speed turns and was wondering if it was a sign that the diff is wearing out. It's specifically worse with a small amount of throttle applied, but it's present with no throttle as well.

It officially takes 8 miles before the diff is warmed up enough to do donuts, you will definitely get the graunching noise if you've just started the car and are making 90 degree turns (like say, slowly driving out of a parking garage). There's nothing wrong with my diff, so it's a "Normal" noise up to a point but it should go away as the diff oil heats up.

After I've been driving for 1-2 miles it typically won't do that, but I also don't need to take a lot of repeated 90 degree turns outside that "just started it up, am leaving a parking garage" turnset/so it's likely you can't hear it as much out in open traffic.

I don't get on it hard until I've got engine temps up to 210, and that usually corresponds to at least 5-6 miles worth of driving unless you're sitting motionless in traffic.

tldr: Yes, the car is supposed to sound like a dump truck, that's how you know it's a race car