Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Milo and POTUS posted:

In addition people also do drugs in their cars too

i too do drugs in their cars all the time

pls dont tell them though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troutful
May 31, 2011

mystes
May 31, 2006

what sort of crime do you have to commit to be sentence to that?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
that same guy also did every rainforest cafe in the US and canada

the weirdest thing from the margaritaville video is that there was one location about halfway through where some of the waiters wore stilts and some of the booths were really high up and had steps to get up into them or something

fermun has issued a correction as of 02:19 on Sep 7, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

maybe he can do every mcdonalds next?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I don't understand how a landlocked Margaritaville can exist.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
It’s wild that jimmy buffet had like serious non-ironic fans. It’s like being obsessed with Kriss Kross or something.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

cat botherer posted:

It’s wild that jimmy buffet had like serious non-ironic fans. It’s like being obsessed with Kriss Kross or something.

It's just one of the socially acceptable forms of alcoholism, and not as aggro as sports fandom.

https://blog.margaritaville.com/2018/04/5-stages/

quote:

We’ve had a tiki bar at my house for as long as I can remember, but I never really thought twice about it. As I got older, I began to sip some drinks with my family at the tiki bar, enjoying the company and listening to the music playing over the loud speakers. I began to truly appreciate the lifestyle that my parents raised me to know,

Man has not once considered living without a tiki bar at his house

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Twerk from Home posted:

It's just one of the socially acceptable forms of alcoholism, and not as aggro as sports fandom.
Pathetic. I don’t need any fandom to justify my alcoholism.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

Piecing some things together here -- this is a woman, and she goes by Marti because her parents named her Margarita

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

mixing mai tais and jungle birds for my kids when they get home from elementary school so that they grow up with an appreciation for tiki culture

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
lol the ex-cop who pistol-whipped and drew a gun on a cyclist after trying to run him over got the incredible penalty of... a two-year driver's license suspension

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

cat botherer posted:

Twerk from Home posted:

I don't understand how a landlocked Margaritaville can exist.

Twerk from Home posted:

some people just like to have a good time, brother

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gradenko_2000 posted:

lol the ex-cop who pistol-whipped and drew a gun on a cyclist after trying to run him over got the incredible penalty of... a two-year driver's license suspension

It ought to be a probation where he’s forbidden from riding in a car as a passenger and from taking public transit.

If he wants to get somewhere, he’d have to walk or bike.

And ban him from owning a gun for life, obviously.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

him and every other urban planner

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

look buddy, just make that stroad two lanes wider and nobody will care whether you can read and write

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Clark Nova posted:

look buddy, just make that stroad two lanes wider and nobody will care whether you can read and write

came to post same thing

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqNiPVO5mAE

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

mystes posted:

what sort of crime do you have to commit to be sentence to that?

It's an original sin kinda deal, but instead of eating a apple, it's being born in the USA

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

check out this street i had to cross in california lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

wheres la sombrita

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

actionjackson posted:

check out this street i had to cross in california lol

get in a car and drive across it. simple as

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Sphyre posted:

wheres la sombrita

not LA, it's el camino real which separates part of palo alto from stanford

amazingly i only saw one ferrari (though infinite teslas)

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

not LA, it's el camino real which separates part of palo alto from stanford

I thought I recognized this!

I haven't been there for years, but yeah, total poo poo show.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

I am not a parrothead but I am a giant drunk and I did a little research here

and it seems like Jimmy Buffet was incredibly accessible to his fans and a very gracious performer and celebrity

and hey, that counts for a lot OP

I have had one actual sports crush in my life. When I met him, the guy shook my hand, told me about his life, kissed my wife's cheek, and signed a hat for me. And that counts for a lot.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I am not a parrothead but I am a giant drunk and I did a little research here

and it seems like Jimmy Buffet was incredibly accessible to his fans and a very gracious performer and celebrity

and hey, that counts for a lot OP

I have had one actual sports crush in my life. When I met him, the guy shook my hand, told me about his life, kissed my wife's cheek, and signed a hat for me. And that counts for a lot.

I also saw a tweet thread about a guy who worked in the New Orleans Margaritaville when Katrina hit: he lost everything but the clothes on his back, and Buffet gave him (and entire rest of the staff) 3,000 dollars before the government did, and guaranteed them a job at any other Margaritaville that they managed to get to

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKGw_hrlaOY

Dude seemed like he was a blast tbh, and a cool guy who understood life.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

whomst among us wouldn't love to lay in a hammock on a beach sipping fruity drinks for 50 years

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

hailthefish posted:

whomst among us wouldn't love to lay in a hammock on a beach sipping fruity drinks for 50 years
absolutely. i have no shames in sipping fruity drinks on a beach

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

it's so tiresome for these people to always preface their carbrained op-eds with "I am a biker too". It's the pro-car equivalent of "I have a black friend"

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
the ol' Avid Cyclist

https://www.outsideonline.com/culture/opinion/who-are-all-these-avid-cyclists-anyway/

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

actionjackson posted:

yeah Teslas are the new "Palo Alto Prius" since everyone who drove hybrids for the environmental cachet immediately dropped them for Teslas (or fancy EV porsches and SUVs)

imo you're more likely to see boutique EVs like Lucids, Rivians, or the occasional Toyota Mirai / Honda FCX Clarity hydrogen car than supercars around here (unless you go down to the McLaren dealership or the Ferrari dealership, which are both like 2 miles from where that photo was taken lol)

El Camino is a shitshow and biking on it is a death wish but if you stay away from that road there's a half-decent slow street bike network from Redwood City through to Mountain View and a decent number of people on cargo bikes etc using it. it's not perfect but imo better than a lot of the Bay Area

corona familiar has issued a correction as of 06:56 on Sep 8, 2023

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
My kid went into highschool this yr and his school is beyond walking distance so he's biking it. It's 4.5 km and mostly on the MUP but I'm still a bit of a worry wort about the whole thing.

Planning to assuage my nerves by gifting him my old steel cross bike after I finish putting a 2speed sturmey archer hub and riser bars on it. It's gonna be the sickest ride ever. Don't get hit by a car kiddo!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Leroy Diplowski posted:

My kid went into highschool this yr and his school is beyond walking distance so he's biking it. It's 4.5 km and mostly on the MUP but I'm still a bit of a worry wort about the whole thing.

Planning to assuage my nerves by gifting him my old steel cross bike after I finish putting a 2speed sturmey archer hub and riser bars on it. It's gonna be the sickest ride ever. Don't get hit by a car kiddo!
Have you considered adding a propane tank to the bike?

Seems like that would make cars avoid him better.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I rode my bike to and from HS almost every day for my first two years, similar distance and also mostly along MUPs, it owned and I hope your kid enjoys it as much as I did

...then my grandparents and I moved out into the exurb boonies and a 15-minute bike ride turned into a 15 minute drive :shepface:

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Ham Equity posted:

Have you considered adding a propane tank to the bike?

Seems like that would make cars avoid him better.

Hmmm perhaps I can then fabricate a hibachi on the rear rack and send him to school with marinaded skewers of meat and veg. Would definitely make him popular.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm honestly surprised anything happened to them at all.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Land Transportation Office has responded to feedback regarding to the penalty! According to them, the maximum penalty they have on their books is a four-year suspension, which is only applied in incidents involving death. According to them, since nobody died, they had to reduce the penalties accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

It's super cool that murder is legal if you do it with a car and don't leave the scene