Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Z the IVth posted:

Wasn't there a big hoo ha when it turned out that one of the big Magic artists had... interesting opinions and had to be cancelled?

this could be one of several incidents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Z the IVth posted:

Wasn't there a big hoo ha when it turned out that one of the big Magic artists had... interesting opinions and had to be cancelled?

That's happened a couple times including a full on Nazi and a sex pest so not sure which you are referring too. Sun think crediting artists is a good thing though.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

Shame the old lore where the Golden Throne was actually situated in Nottingham got retconned.

Hah, of course they'd do that.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Al-Saqr posted:

hey man thanks for the long explainer, I guess the people I'm working with are definitely not up for that sort of paperwork, so I'll just do it as stringed missions with special rules per mission based on the codex, the experience points and leveling up thing I think I could do without.

Probably wise.

My suggestion would be to use a sort of flow diagram that shows what happens if which side wins. That way all the players have a sense of sort of "commitment" and stakes.

Here's a couple i made, one is "fluffy" and the other is a bit mechanical

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Silly newbie question time!

When I have a Biovore in my army do I have to pay for the spore mines it launches?

Also, who do I have to sell my kidneys to to get some Venomthropes and Maleceptors?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The app has apparently been updated with point costs and the rules updates and stuff. I'm sure every factions community pages and discords and stuff are having a good old time reacting to them.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Raged posted:

Silly newbie question time!

When I have a Biovore in my army do I have to pay for the spore mines it launches?

Also, who do I have to sell my kidneys to to get some Venomthropes and Maleceptors?

No, the spore mines are free

Zoanthropes (dual kit) and maleceptors are really good right now so they’re sold out everywhere

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

thebardyspoon posted:

The app has apparently been updated with point costs and the rules updates and stuff. I'm sure every factions community pages and discords and stuff are having a good old time reacting to them.

hmmmmm I wonder what happened, did they nerf the eldar? did they make the points cost for units reasonable? lets find out!

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
The app hasn't been updated for me.

It just updated and all of my Tyranid lists went up in points :(

Raged fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Sep 7, 2023

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Raged posted:

The app hasn't been updated for me.

It just updated and all of my Tyranid lists went up in points :(

NO really?! they made Tyranids more expensive?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Zoanthropes went up 30 points
Swarmlord is up 20 points
Hive Tyrant went up 15 Points
Tyrannofex went up 45 loving points
Biovore is up 10
Exocrine is up 10
MAleceptor up 5

Tervigon is down 10
Lictor is down 15
Hormagaunts down 5
Genestealers down 5

Thats what I can remeber

Raged fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Sep 7, 2023

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

admech got points drops and skitarii got their old save back but
-they still have a very bad army rule
-they still have the worst detachment rule in the entire game
-there still is only one datasheet in the entire index that actually does anything

so it’s gonna be Breachers: The Faction for a while longer

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Sororitas got points cut by 5-10 on just about everything. Only the Exorcist went up it seems. Stuff that's good on missions stayed the same, like both jump units, demonifuge and crusaders. Engines of pains stayed the same too. Headline cuts are 40 points off Warsuits and 25 of the procession.

Necrons stayed mostly the same, good stuff went up slightly (Hexmark, reanimator, heavy destroyers) unplayed stuff went down. (ophidians, skorpekh lord)
Both triarchs went up quite a bit but warriors went down. Illuminator szeras and the silent king got decent cuts too.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Raged posted:

Hive Tyrant went up
Tyrannofex went up
And I am pretty sure the Tervigon went up

Article and PDF's are up on the site - Tervigon got a 10pt discount from the previous cost. 45pts up for the Tyrannofex though, that kinda stings.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
The big question how have they nerfed Eldar? I'm not familiar with the rules.

Fate dice still can be used on wound roles :(

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/09/07/warhammer-40000-metawatch-changes-abound-in-the-first-balance-dataslate-of-the-edition/

Devastating Wounds no longer cause mortal wounds, but instead bypass armour saves and invulnerable saves. Weapons with this ability can still put out plenty of damage, but it arrives in a single chunk, as normal – a change which makes Devastating Wounds more situational, and which should have a significant impact on the power of the Aeldari in particular. For example, you cannot now shoot an infantry unit with an anti-tank weapon and expect to wipe out the whole squad in one hit because you rolled a 6 to wound.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

oh poo poo the Exaction Arbites squad is now 10 guys and a mastiff that's neat.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Pretty massive buff to Ruthless Efficiency that Votann desperately needed.

Start with 2 Tokens each on 4 units in a 2K game.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
No mechanics or dataslate updates for Tau but lots of tasty points drops. Big fan of fireblade/Breacher/Devilfish now only being 205 points instead of 240 points.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I am very happy that they nerfed the poo poo out of insane bravery.

Only can be used once per battle and must be used before dice are rolled

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Raged posted:

Hive Tyrant went up 15 Points
Tyrannofex went up 45 loving points
Biovore is up 10
Exocrine is up 10
MAleceptor up 5

Tervigon is down 10
Lictor is down 15
Hormagaunts down 5
Genestealers down 5

Thats what I can remeber

Man just gotta keep kicking 'nids in the balls huh?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Can fit a whole extra dreadnought or something in all my blood angels lists.

Conversely most of my eldar lists are like ~150 over.

Necrons army that was 2000pts on the dot last time is still 2000pts.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
My Grey Knight list has just dropped in cost by 300 points lol

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
lots of my Guard stuff came down in points, hell yeah

no changes to how the army works

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Kitchner posted:

My Grey Knight list has just dropped in cost by 300 points lol

Yeah I got a whole extra tank for my Armoured Company

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I like the ruins change to Towering, cutting Bondsman in half is probably ok.

I'll never get a chance to see Genestealer Cult auto recycling its Battleline units, but that was never long for this world.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

bird food bathtub posted:

Man just gotta keep kicking 'nids in the balls huh?

Nids made out positively overall when you factor in core rules changes and (often heavy) nerfs to other factions. Custodes and IK in particular were tough to deal with and both got solidly reigned in.

The Swarm and Vanguard detachments saw point cuts to their most common units. Our options for scoring improved with 60-70pt Lictor variants and 20pt MSU Rippers.

Exocrine points didn't change btw.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Guess the Deathleaper+3 Lictors+3 Offbrand Lictors will be the new hotness then with the other two detachments that looked solid eating nerfs to Zoanthropes. Winged Prime+Melee warriors seems solid for the points now, provided you're vanguarding it up, maybe even if you're not. Genestealers and Broodlords also getting a discount is pretty spicy. Only Gargoyles didn't go down in points of the Vanguard Invaders.

I wonder what you want to throw in for killing tanks and such. Norns maybe?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
They made Kharn a lot cheaper. Used to throw me that he was so much worse, both in combat and as a leader, than the Emperor's Champion or Helbrecht, but costed higher, despite being one of the few units in the game with an active drawback.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Raged posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/09/07/warhammer-40000-metawatch-changes-abound-in-the-first-balance-dataslate-of-the-edition/

Devastating Wounds no longer cause mortal wounds, but instead bypass armour saves and invulnerable saves. Weapons with this ability can still put out plenty of damage, but it arrives in a single chunk, as normal – a change which makes Devastating Wounds more situational, and which should have a significant impact on the power of the Aeldari in particular. For example, you cannot now shoot an infantry unit with an anti-tank weapon and expect to wipe out the whole squad in one hit because you rolled a 6 to wound.

AdMech getting caught in the crossfire here. Omni-sterilizer on a Manipulus or Dominus seems to be the only thing AdMech have that is considered powerful aside from Breachers and this change should reduce their ability to mow down infantry considerably, right?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

NofrikinfuN posted:

AdMech getting caught in the crossfire here. Omni-sterilizer on a Manipulus or Dominus seems to be the only thing AdMech have that is considered powerful aside from Breachers and this change should reduce their ability to mow down infantry considerably, right?

they could make AdMech free and it still wouldn't help them out

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

NofrikinfuN posted:

This change mainly affects weapons like wraithcannons that do crazy damage with a single shot. If that Admech weapon profile has a bunch of low damage attacks then it won't make much difference. They basically work just like before; as multiple attacks that can be allocated across several models.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Yeah, combi-bolters are technically better now because things that save against MWs don't stop them. I'm probably still not taking WE terms.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

xtothez posted:

This change mainly affects weapons like wraithcannons that do crazy damage with a single shot. If that Admech weapon profile has a bunch of low damage attacks then it won't make much difference. They basically work just like before; as multiple attacks that can be allocated across several models.

Yeah, I was talking to a friend about it and it looks like it halves its effectiveness versus models with one wound but everything else will basically be the same. Probably for the best if it is throttling big damage guns.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
List brainstorming; probably bad, but I like the idea
pre:
Tyranids - Strike Force (2000 points) - Synaptic Nexus

CHARACTERS
Neurotyrant (115 points)
  • Warlord
  • Enhancement: Power of the Hive Mind

Neurotyrant (135 points)
  • Enhancement: Psychostatic Disruption

Winged Tyranid Prime (85 points)
  • Enhancement: Synaptic Control

OTHER DATASHEETS
Maleceptor (170 points)

Psychophage (125 points)

Screamer-Killer (170 points)

Neurolictor (65 points)
Neurolictor (65 points)

Norn Emissary (290 points)
Norn Emissary (290 points)

Zoanthropes (110 points)
Zoanthropes (110 points)

Neurogaunts (90 points)
  • 2x Neurogaunt Nodebeast
    • 20x Neurogaunt
Neurogaunts (90 points)
    • 20x Neurogaunt
Neurogaunts (90 points)
    • 20x Neurogaunt

E: slightly edited list

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 7, 2023

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

it also just made no sense at all in the universe as established (if sisters are an 8 on the scale of Imperial Purity, Grey Knights are like a 12, why kill them, etc.) which is less of a sin than being gross and edgy, but highlights how there was no purpose to the writing except to be gross and edgy

i still think he'd have gotten away with his Lore Crimes if his rules weren't so insanely hosed that they actively hastened the death of an entire 25+ year old game line

as time passes there are fewer people who remember what 7th edition WHFB daemons of chaos were like, so let me state for the record that they made index eldar look tame. there was nothing in that book that was remotely ok.

Seriously, Matt Ward’s daemon book hosed WHFB.

In middle school I assembled my first and only fully painted Warhammer army. OnG but fully night goblins, 2500 points, helped by the loads of Skull Pass gobbos being sold secondhand from the starter set back then

Against most armies I expected to lose but I could win. We had tricks. And I had a smaller high elf army that could be competitive for real. I had a job and no expenses, the best time to buy my toys.

But fighting daemons immediately killed interacting with other ham players for like a decade. A no effort daemon army would roll basically anyone who wasn’t reading strata d’y by day and playing dark elves or vampire counts. It was awful. And it was the height of weird Comic Book Guy assholes cheering that they owned someone 15 years younger

It was the height of the toxic “no new players, no kids, no women” bullshit that GW thankfully took the correct side against for all their flaws

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 7, 2023

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Wasn't that around the time Finecast was introduced as well?

Complete nadir for GW, and I'm glad they've righted the ship, mostly.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

More or less yeah, going by the Games Workshop wiki, Finecast was 2011.
And Ward worked on both the 2008 and 2013 editions of the WHFB Daemon army book.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

White Dwarf at that time was also really, really bad. It had practically no content aside from promotional pictures of what to order next. They were really able to make WD a lot better and it seems pretty good today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I have bought the past three issues of WD, and besides the pleasant nostalgia of doing so, I also find it quite nice reading. The narratives in the battle reports are so engagingly written that I become tempted to buy whatever game and army they are about.