Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Tough on Crime: except to the point where the police force is just full of rapists and racists and the prison system is so decrepit that a dude can just Indiana Jones his way out of there dressed in a chef hat lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Panko being cooked by electrocution makes it the most :black101: breadcrumb so it’s obviously the best one to use

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I do not think I could escape prison by holding onto the bottom a van.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

forkboy84 posted:

Really? Why?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
SA forum posters tend to be of a larger body type, OP

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Lots of "why wasn't the military trained secret squirrel guy in a maximum security prison instead of one where you can just cape fear out of the kitchen loading bay?" questions being asked in hindsight.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
He’s cute, he can stay at mine ‘til this all blows over if he likes :biglips:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/broseph_stalin/status/1699541114976374936

I love the way she flinched when he pointed out that she was an ex banker

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

you use a belt too

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Cauliflower cheese is one of the most disgusting foods known to Man (or Jaeluni at any rate). The number of times my dad dished it up for our dinner as kids. That or macaroni cheese which is almost as gross.
I used to work at a pub that let us take Sunday leftovers home at the end of the night.

Cue me hungrily tucking into a pot of mac and cheese... only to find it was actually cauliflower cheese. I was very sad. :(

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The thing with the UK is that it so desperately wants to be the USA, with its battalions of militarised cops with tanks and machine guns, and supermax prisons where you disappear into a hole for 100 years l, but we’re simply too loving cheap to even fund the repressive poo poo. Where does all the tax money go if it doesn’t even go to heavily armed robocops and AI Panopticons?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

smellmycheese posted:

Where does all the tax money go if it doesn’t even go to heavily armed robocops and AI Panopticons?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

The thing with the UK is that it so desperately wants to be the USA, with its battalions of militarised cops with tanks and machine guns, and supermax prisons where you disappear into a hole for 100 years l, but we’re simply too loving cheap to even fund the repressive poo poo. Where does all the tax money go if it doesn’t even go to heavily armed robocops and AI Panopticons?

Dying empire is dying with the only worry being who else they drag into the mire on the way down.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's plenty of "solitary confinement in a superprison, then wrap that up in barbed wire and place it in the middle of another larger prison" confinement, but it's all full of Irish tradesmen who rented a van once in the 80s, so the actual spies with training from at least two state security services get put in "we're going to leave you in charge of the kitchen, don't walk out disguised as a sack of spuds pls" prison.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Skill issue.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Chefs Hats off to this guy for replicating the glorious 1960s era England of Ronnie Biggs and Michael Caine and breaking out of Wandsworth.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Tom Hardy or Jason Stratham to play him in the movie?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Not sure that Daniel Abed Khalife is going to be lionised in quite the same way

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/DalrympleWill/status/1699675577161019423

:toot:

I hope Erasmus is next. I think it's important to give young people the chance to experience proper functioning countries and societies

e: John Noakes is trending, and it's because of this video:

https://twitter.com/danbarker/status/1699517438952399195

We certainly did things differently in the 70's... :lol:

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 7, 2023

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

fuctifino posted:

I hope Erasmus is next. I think it's important to give young people the chance to experience proper functioning countries and societies

Very dangerous to let the youth know that better things are possible.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

fuctifino posted:

This is pretty massive - for those who don't know, the UK punches well above its weight in research, so this is access to a huge pool of money for UK research, and we get more back than we put in - as its more effective to do research here than in other places (Oxbridge does have its advantages).

Losing Horison access was a big part of several places shutting up their research faculties.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

smellmycheese posted:

Ok as we’re dug into this subject I’m gonna ask the Goonmind. I am a good cook, if I say so myself , I enjoy cooking, I can make lovely food of all types. But I cannot get PORK loving CRACKLING to work. I’ve tried everything - you name it. Blazing hot oven, salting, oiling, boiling water, drying, pan frying , every loving technique and it STILL DOESNT WORK.

Here's my trick, the results can be uneven but I guarantee you'll get something crispy. It's also very easy. It's easier if you have an airfryer.

1. Select your pork cut - you need belly pork with a good amount of fat under the skin - think a cut out of Boris Johnson rather than Rees-Mogg

2. Night before - entire cut of pork goes into a pot of boiling water for 10 mins. Don't leave it too long or the fat renders out and it doesn't work.

3. Take pork out, make shallow slits on underside - this is to cut the connective tissue so it doesn't curl when it cooks - it'll have curled a bit from boiling so you know you've done it right when it lies flat.

4 You need to perforate the skin somehow now. Classic British is to cut crosshatches into it. The Chinese restaurants likely do it with a hand sander. I have tool which is essentially a bunch of nails rammed into a wooden handle. Apply liberally - the aim here being to breach the skin and let the oil from the fat bubble out when it's cooking, frying the skin. You don't want to go too deep since if you hit muscle it leaks water instead, making the skin soggy.

5. Season - lots of salt on the skin, whatever else you want on the other edges.

6. Keep uncovered in fridge overnight and take out 1 hr before cooking.

7. If using oven, apply a crust of salt to the skin and cook at ~140C fan for 30 mins. Then remove the salt crust and cook at 240C (or as high as your oven can go) for another 15-20 mins. You'll have to keep an eye on it for this last bit

8. If using an airfryer the steps are the same but you don't need the salt crust.

9. Rest for 10 mins and serve.

Nb this is for Chinese style crispy pork which is flat. No guarantees if you want yours rolled up.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Z the IVth posted:

Here's my trick, the results can be uneven but I guarantee you'll get something crispy. It's also very easy. It's easier if you have an airfryer.

1. Select your pork cut - you need belly pork with a good amount of fat under the skin - think a cut out of Boris Johnson rather than Rees-Mogg

2. Night before - entire cut of pork goes into a pot of boiling water for 10 mins. Don't leave it too long or the fat renders out and it doesn't work.

3. Take pork out, make shallow slits on underside - this is to cut the connective tissue so it doesn't curl when it cooks - it'll have curled a bit from boiling so you know you've done it right when it lies flat.

4 You need to perforate the skin somehow now. Classic British is to cut crosshatches into it. The Chinese restaurants likely do it with a hand sander. I have tool which is essentially a bunch of nails rammed into a wooden handle. Apply liberally - the aim here being to breach the skin and let the oil from the fat bubble out when it's cooking, frying the skin. You don't want to go too deep since if you hit muscle it leaks water instead, making the skin soggy.

5. Season - lots of salt on the skin, whatever else you want on the other edges.

6. Keep uncovered in fridge overnight and take out 1 hr before cooking.

7. If using oven, apply a crust of salt to the skin and cook at ~140C fan for 30 mins. Then remove the salt crust and cook at 240C (or as high as your oven can go) for another 15-20 mins. You'll have to keep an eye on it for this last bit

8. If using an airfryer the steps are the same but you don't need the salt crust.

9. Rest for 10 mins and serve.

Nb this is for Chinese style crispy pork which is flat. No guarantees if you want yours rolled up.

How is it this difficult? There must be an easier way.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

There is in fact an easier way.

smellmycheese posted:

But I cannot get PORK loving CRACKLING to work.
Big Sainsburys do a taste the difference pork with crackling that is really easy, even a dickhead like me can cook it. Follow the instructions on the back EXACTLY (including the nonsense about patting dry and adding salt and leaving it for 10 minutes) and it comes out great.

I'm sure a good cook could do better, but it's good crackling mostly pre-prepared that you can't gently caress up.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Sep 7, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

kecske posted:

sounds like a cease of service has been applied to your line

You were right. It was a complete & utter fk up by plusnet. I have wasted 4 hours of my life including 2 hours on the phone to them this morning trying to get it sorted. Nothing but a flashing orange b on the router. Seems whoever was responsible on Monday for switching us 'forgot' to switch on the broadband and now they say they can't do it because they're not allowed to sell new lines but it isn't a new line it's the same fkr.
My line manager is fuming. She told me this morning to keep on the line until they sorted it, but it's not sortable. So we'll have no broadband in the office. As we're leaving in a couple of months we do not want a 24 month contract with anyone which seems to be all we can get. Even though she told me not to - because she's going to phone them & get it sorted (I said to her it won't be sorted, accept this fact) - I'm going to inquire further into the data sim / mifi / dongles thing.
(And bearing in mind I'm part-time and this little episode has taken a quarter of my paid hours which I have already exceeded this week in any case!)
Bah.

Meanwhile, in roast dinner chat:

I love a good stuffing. Did you ever have one of those turkeys stuffed with a duck, stuffed with another bird, stuffed with another bird? I had one once, it was 5 birds deep. It was wonderful, dense, intense.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 7, 2023

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

smellmycheese posted:

How is it this difficult? There must be an easier way.

1. Kidnap Z the IVth
2. Force them to do it for you
3. Release them, I guess (optional)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They'll escape your kitchen by hiding under a van.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Grey Hunter posted:

This is pretty massive - for those who don't know, the UK punches well above its weight in research, so this is access to a huge pool of money for UK research, and we get more back than we put in

Yeah but foreigners

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

There's lots more from that Rachel Reeves LBC phone-in:

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1699515039542108329

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1699744610229104993

e: the LBC caller uploaded her own video - https://twitter.com/NoJusticeMTG/status/1699702579704324492

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Sep 7, 2023

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

fuctifino posted:

Woke Noel Edmonds killing off innocent members of the public in wacky stunts pit an end to this glorious British tradition

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

fuctifino posted:

Chris Pincher has finally hosed off :toot:
I always get Chris Pincher the groper mixed up with Chris Groper the pincher.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

smellmycheese posted:

Really? Why?

I just assume I'd accidentally grap the exhaust pipe and then fall off & get driven ofver.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1699739410147713212

The mask is fully off now, and they barely even have to try to pretend anymore

e: Oops, looking at the headlines on the ticker, it's an old vid. New to me though....

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

smellmycheese posted:

It doesn't even go to the regular cops. I mean if I were going to be the Tories and enact Maximum Austerity for One Thousand Years I'd at least make sure to fund my hired goons, but they've been cutting their funding too. Tories are even bad at being fash.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Sir Keith repeatedly punching sheep and cows in the face and demanding they respect him

https://twitter.com/countrylifemag/status/1699417219556413627?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

fuctifino posted:

I wonder how the cameraman got up there.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

smellmycheese posted:

Sir Keith repeatedly punching sheep and cows in the face and demanding they respect him

https://twitter.com/countrylifemag/status/1699417219556413627?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

what the gently caress is this even supposed to mean

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Did you ever have one of those turkeys stuffed with a duck, stuffed with another bird, stuffed with another bird? I had one once, it was 5 birds deep. It was wonderful, dense, intense.

I made my own turducken in the US once for Thanksgiving. It was a hell of a faff but also really good. Over there you can also get them pre-prepared, though.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pictured here with sleeves notably not rolled up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

feedmegin posted:

I made my own turducken in the US once for Thanksgiving. It was a hell of a faff but also really good. Over there you can also get them pre-prepared, though.

We can get them here too now, Iceland even do frozen ones :britain: