Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

Imagine, if you will, a blockchain dating app.

Fortunately you don't have to, there are at least 5.

Our relationship is permanently recorded on the immutable blockchain, meaning she can't break up with me!

Edit: Except by getting 51% of our friends to agree that it didn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustCallMeDC
Aug 12, 2023

Obey the Lamb
Obey the Lamb
Obey the Lamb

LifeSunDeath posted:

watching this travel bro on youtube and he's in Georgia and this bar is there:

this is good for bitcoin

Beyond those doors lies the worst drink names you will ever see.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Which Georgia?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

LifeSunDeath posted:

this is good for bitcoin

Did he go in?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

LifeSunDeath posted:

this is good for bitcoin

its short for cryptosporidum

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

vortmax posted:

Which Georgia?

the country

Lammasu posted:

Did he go in?

he didn't even notice it

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

3 cryptic photos of the interior are available. It is totally not a place where you'll get your kidney stolen after buying a Doge-flavored drink for crypto.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Rad Russian posted:

3 cryptic photos of the interior are available. It is totally not a place where you'll get your kidney stolen after buying a Doge-flavored drink for crypto.

https://ge.revieweuro.com/tbilisi/crypto-bar-2315974

"Nice place, good stuff, big choice of cocktails. They told us the food will soon. I will visit & recommended for everyone?"
-user

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Serious_Cyclone posted:

kid just wants his dad to be proud of him and do things together that make dad happy :smith:

That childish mentality is easy to leverage for some massive stock gains!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Rad Russian posted:

Looks like the inside of somebody’s house.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Rad Russian posted:

A lot of draft-dodging Russian techbros moved to Georgia last year. Presumably some of them also brought coins to be robbed by the locals.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Ariong posted:

Looks like the inside of somebody’s house.

They've done a great job making it look like the living room of a person trying to get you into MLM

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
an entire bar that makes you want to cover your drink

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Foo Diddley posted:

an entire bar that makes you want to cover your drink

Don't worry, they come pre-drugged!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Rad Russian posted:

Cryptid bar.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

There Bias Two posted:

Don't worry, they come pre-drugged!

Like the magician restaurant but much darker

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Like the magician restaurant but much darker

"Huzzah, your money has disappeared!"

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

CommieGIR posted:

Cryptid bar.

I would go to the cryptid bar. They have a pumpkin spice martini called the Sass Squash

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Sardonik posted:

"Huzzah, your money has disappeared!"

"And is also being used for crimes!"

drk
Jan 16, 2005

quote:

Coinbase (COIN) has created a new crypto lending service in the U.S. for institutional clients, helping fill the void left by the blowups of firms like Genesis and BlockFi.

The platform was quietly revealed in a U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission filing on Sept. 1, which showed $57 million had already been raised for the program.

According to a person familiar with the matter, clients can lend Coinbase money – predominantly crypto assets – and get collateral exceeding the value of the loan. Such overcollateralization acts as a safeguard from disaster.

surely this time nothing will go wrong

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

drk posted:

surely this time nothing will go wrong

Wait, what? I loan the bank $20 in hash collisions, and the bank gives me $25?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

cruft posted:

Wait, what? I loan the bank $20 in hash collisions, and the bank gives me $25?

No you give them bitcoin and they give probably give you 1.25x the amount in their own super stable coin, then they vanish in to the night.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Boxturret posted:

No you give them bitcoin and they give probably give you 1.25x the amount in their own super stable coin, then they vanish in to the night.

Ohhhh.

I was genuinely confused about how a group of people savvy enough to a stock listed would do something so colossally stupid, but this makes way more sense.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I mean it's not like this is explicitly a security offering or anything, with promising you to go from a> a+ more. Clearly the ripple case solved all the issues here.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I would go to the cryptid bar. They have a pumpkin spice martini called the Sass Squash

The Jersey Devil's Drink is really just a Long Island Iced Tea.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Bright Bart posted:

What are the most ridiculous use cases for a coin? I think I've seen 'You can use XXX to speed up transfers of XXX, and also pay for for admission into a pool where you could win more XXX. These not only give XXX functionality other coins lack but "eats" the coin so you don't have to worry about endless inflation.'.

I was always partial to the "we'll put plane tickets on the blockchain, and then you can sell the used tickets for bitcoin after you've flown!" madness

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Gort posted:

I was always partial to the "we'll put plane tickets on the blockchain, and then you can sell the used tickets for bitcoin after you've flown!" madness

wut

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Gort posted:

Did a google search to see if I could find any others.
Not sure if this is true, but there is one where they would put trees on the blockchain, and then charge people who walked by for the oxygen inhaled made by the tree.
Tried finding out more on this, if you can, please post.
As holy poo poo this is next level dumb.

Found here https://thenextweb.com/news/blockchain-use-cases

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
So sad that idea never took off, it would have made it so much easier to add to my other-peoples-used-plane-tickets collection

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

happyhippy posted:

Not sure if this is true, but there is one where they would put trees on the blockchain, and then charge people who walked by for the oxygen inhaled made by the tree.

So who does the tree charge if the person walking by doesn’t have a crypto wallet?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Serious_Cyclone posted:

So who does the tree charge if the person walking by doesn’t have a crypto wallet?

Someone not having a crypto wallet?! The concept is ridiculous! How would they pay their breathing fees if they didn't!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Short version is that the plane tickets would have poo poo attached to them like NFTs. So Delta commissions some artist to do the art on their tickets, and then that ticket becomes a collectable after the fact. We could even have special art for flights going to places on special occasions, like Olympic Games tickets!

There were similar ideas floating for all forms of tickets, with a lot of people pointing to the fact that surviving physical Woodstock tickets have become valuable collectors items, totally ignoring a) the massive cultural significance and b) the scarcity of physical items designed to be disposable that combine to make that happen.

You also had some other hair-brained ideas like using the blockchaing-nft art-ticket thing to tie to other poo poo like travel insurance, and then some real ghouls pointing out how electronic assets survive so notorious tickets might become collectors items, like 9/11 widow(er)s could flog their dead spouse's American Airlines Flight 11 NFT ticket to pay for their now father/mother-less children's college.

All of this ignoring that people who want digital art can just buy digital art right now, and insurance exists already, and trying to turn everything into a digital pog is dumb at best and :stonk: at worst.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The NFT logic seems to be: scarcity in physical stuff creates value (sometimes, of course), so simulating scarcity for digital stuff should create value equally

Like, a big perfect diamond is very rare so its very valuable. So a picture of that diamond should have the same value, if the diamond no longer exists and that picture itself cannot be reproduced (this is the famous example of that crazy woman). Except the picture (besides, well, being only a loving digital picture), can always be copied, and the NFT cant change that, so only stupid crazy people care about NFTs believe they have to have value

Same goes colectibles for any kind

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 7, 2023

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Cyrano4747 posted:

Short version is that the plane tickets would have poo poo attached to them like NFTs. So Delta commissions some artist to do the art on their tickets, and then that ticket becomes a collectable after the fact. We could even have special art for flights going to places on special occasions, like Olympic Games tickets!

Even this terrible idea might be overthinking the original premise. IIRC it was Gary Vee who made the comment about airline tickets being distributed as NFTs. I always interpreted his statement about a blockchain future with airline tickets becoming priceless NFTs as his just straight up not understanding the difference between an NFT as a collectible and an NFT as merely a non-fungible vehicle for an everyday transaction. I assumed Gary overheard someone talk about moving airline ticketing into NFTs and he was too dumb to realize it was the latter and not the former.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
there's also this

https://dtravel.com/blog/dtravel-launches-open-passport-with-travala-com-to-offer-nft-travel-stamps/

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

NFTs are literally just digital scalping without (in theory) a middleman. That's it.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Aramis posted:

NFTs are literally just digital scalping without (in theory) a middleman. That's it.

they're also scalping without the show to go to, you just get nothing.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
The idea of a digital collectible isn't really any worse than any other kind of collectible, but like most things, it would be flat-out 100% improved by not being on a blockchain.

The only benefits of it being on the blockchain are a.) scamming and b.) not having to be legally responsible for operating a second-hand trading marketplace.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

they're also scalping without the show to go to, you just get nothing.

Bitcoin: you just get nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

happyhippy posted:

They really want to live in a cyberpunk dystopia where everything is an asset owned by some corporation and someone pops up to charge you a nickel every time you take a breath.

What happens if you're broke, do you become an indentured servant to pay off your oxygen debt?