Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
how long does trump go to jail for?
life
no jail time
elected president from a jail cell
goku
View Results

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

how do i donate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

what is sad about it

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

tacodaemon posted:

53.7236136,-6.3556322

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

tacodaemon posted:

last night on nctv we finally got around to watching Incendies (2010) and boy howdy is that a bummer of a movie

planning on watching Tendies (2023) today

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

blessings to all who celebrate

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Run DMC + Aerosmith was the first nu metal band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B_UYYPb-Gk

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Sherbert Hoover posted:

axgrap let me know if, in hindsight, joe madureira seems like a sudden awesome change or a sudden bizarre change

Omg will do. I got Age of Apocalypse before I was allowed to read comics but for my birthday from a friend, so it was a loophole and I got to keep them. He is kinda the default 90s comic artist for me for better or worse.

Boob Cop
Jan 1, 2023

AxGrap posted:

150ish out of 450ish done with the X-Men and all the related titles collection. Stuck firmly in the Liefeld era and it's a slog

Oof, you're a drat hero!

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

fascists don't believe in anything except fighting or killing the things they hate; this is why wokeness is so important

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1699795954000671128

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

out of all the fiction movies I've seen, probably the one that left me the numbest at the end from how relentlessly depressing it was was Iracema: Uma Transa Amazônica (1974)

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

External Organs posted:

I should get marvel unlimited so I can go back and read all of new mutants.

When I was a kid I had some weird collection where they went inside Legions head and it was just incredibly hosed up and bizarre. Good stuff.

There are good :filez: and cbr/cbz readers if you have a tablet. The quality of the stories is so hit and miss I love it.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLU-8X1suw0

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

naw, just put it in the bag for me, thanks!

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

petit choux posted:

My theory is that CHUDs are largely authoritarians and take their news as they would marching orders, and they are not the people coming up with phrases like "woke mob." That is generally the creation of opportunist agitators like Roger Stone and Steve Bannon, Rush Limbaugh, Donald Trump. They broadcast stuff like this from several media centers at the same time, and generally work together to propagate buzzwords and sound bytes. I think the people we've been referring to as CHUDs are really just not very mentally ambitious people and they are happy to chatter about whatever the newsman tells them to. They can be an army of assholes or kind, helpful people, really they are just pliable. And corollary to that theory is that if the propaganda were to stop, so would most of the mean-spiritedness and prejudice.

I have several very conservative family members and this seems to hold up for them. They don’t actually have strong opinions on subjects outside of abortion, what they do believe in strongly is a moral authoritarian telling them what to be outraged about.

Back in the 90s they actually hated Trump with a passion, something to do with his divorces and general materialism. But the instant their authority figures told them to support Trump, they did so with only some initial grumbling. Secretly they kind of hate it and hate themselves for supporting Trump — deep down they know he’s a lying grifting poor example of a human being.

This is probably also why pointing out Trump’s issues doesn’t work to convince anyone — they already know he’s awful, but the authoritarian voices tell them those little doubts come from THE DEVIL so they suppress them. So pointing out ‘TRUMP BAD’ really just highlights their own failures and so they see it as an attack.

There’s also super crazy Trump true believers (I do have a pretty ignorant single family member like this) but I don’t believe they’re the majority.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they also support him becuase he’s a nazi

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

the ultimate grift

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

tacodaemon posted:

out of all the fiction movies I've seen, probably the one that left me the numbest at the end from how relentlessly depressing it was was Iracema: Uma Transa Amazônica (1974)

pink noise
Jun 24, 2022

bebop esq posted:

he's right though, BLM would not have been prosecuted (because they would have been shot and killed on sight) gently caress america

you dont remember when blm was taking selfies, walking around that federal courthouse in portland?

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Faustrecht der Freiheit (1975) was a tough watch too, but you do get to see Rainer Werner Fassbinder's dick in it, if that's something you've always wanted

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
I stuck to pointing out to my family that trump raped his wife and tore out her hair and didn't bother to deny it, bc there was no ideological foothold I could find that was any different than any of the past conservatives they supported. The only real difference is that he's crass about it.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Spoondick posted:

my theory is that the chuds are obsessed with wokeness because of how online discourse works... people are gonna say poo poo online with the safety of relative anonymity and physical distance they aren't going go say in a crowded room full of people where you can get the poo poo slapped out of you... however, when you're online you're usually talking to a much larger audience than can fit in a room so while one is more likely to say offensive poo poo online they are also more likely to deliver that offensive poo poo to someone who, well, takes offense to it and claps right back at em, which people percieve as the "woke mob"

And when they "clap back" the response is visceral and not logically presented :)

That paragraph though, that really does emphasize the random nature of communications on social media though, and how extreme, unrealistic opinions can grow like fungi. We've been talking at the TVIV thread about the Gemstones, if you watch that show I think of how none of the siblings can really get out of a sibling-rivalry mindset for long enough to get anything done. Well to me, that's how a lot of people are. People who value winning over doing right are encouraged in this echo chamber. Semi-randomly, by strangers.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

feeling relaxed

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

AxGrap posted:

I stuck to pointing out to my family that trump raped his wife and tore out her hair and didn't bother to deny it, bc there was no ideological foothold I could find that was any different than any of the past conservatives they supported. The only real difference is that he's crass about it.

I pointed this out to my chud aunt and she was like “well Joe Biden and Bill Clinton are also rapists” :smug: and I said “Yes, all three of them belong in prison” and she didn’t have any response

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Contrarianism is what's at the root of Trump's support, it's why he has this bizarre quality where his approval ratings are basically set in stone and never go beyond a certain range. He's so much more hated than any other GOP candidate in modern history, and the chuds respond to that and become even more enthusiastically supportive of him. It's something that plenty of Republican party figures have pointed out and complained about, which is that as rabid as Trump's supporters are, he still puts a cap on how successful the party can be because he causes an equal and opposite reaction among Democrats and also some Independents.

But that's why you can say like "it's objectively a fact that Trump is a rapist" and chuds will dig in even more to support the rapist because the more absurd it is the more they get off on maintaining the contrarianism.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Goreld posted:

I have several very conservative family members and this seems to hold up for them. They don’t actually have strong opinions on subjects outside of abortion, what they do believe in strongly is a moral authoritarian telling them what to be outraged about.

Back in the 90s they actually hated Trump with a passion, something to do with his divorces and general materialism. But the instant their authority figures told them to support Trump, they did so with only some initial grumbling. Secretly they kind of hate it and hate themselves for supporting Trump — deep down they know he’s a lying grifting poor example of a human being.

This is probably also why pointing out Trump’s issues doesn’t work to convince anyone — they already know he’s awful, but the authoritarian voices tell them those little doubts come from THE DEVIL so they suppress them. So pointing out ‘TRUMP BAD’ really just highlights their own failures and so they see it as an attack.

There’s also super crazy Trump true believers (I do have a pretty ignorant single family member like this) but I don’t believe they’re the majority.

my dad's family is old-school R, like Eisenhower, and ignoring the Nixon-era racist shift I can respect that (not necessarily agree, but Republicans were at least not complete lunatics until Nixon-Reagan). However they very politely talk about how much they like President Trump and what great things he did for the country. I mean, these are people who 100% would not answer the door if Trump knocked, until 2015. They're not dummies; they're very well-off and well-educated people. It's really mystifying.

The only good one is one cousin, who's a watercolor artist in California, and she calls out their poo poo on Facebook all the time. She's amazing.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

love too go on the radio and tell an interviewer about the criminal conspiracy I'm currently in the middle of participating in

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/07/politics/kfile-meshawn-maddock-fake-elector-planning-trump-attorneys/

One of the fake electors put forward by Republicans in Michigan said in December 2020 that the plan to use a slate of fake electors to help Donald Trump win their state came together following conversations with “some very incredible constitutional attorneys” from the Trump campaign.

In a December 2020 radio interview reviewed by CNN’s KFile, Meshawn Maddock, one of the 16 fake electors in Michigan charged by the state attorney general for the alleged scheme, detailed the Trump campaign-directed plan and said the crucial decision on which electors to use would ultimately rest with a constitutional attorney and Vice President Mike Pence and Congress.

The newly uncovered interview reveals Maddock’s detailed knowledge of the Trump campaign’s involvement in the plot and undermines her more recent comments claiming only a “vague” recollection of it when asked about CNN reporting from last year – which first reported on the Trump campaign’s alleged involvement in the scheme, according to three sources with direct knowledge.

While Maddock has previously claimed the fake GOP electors were not meant to replace the legitimate Democratic ones, even in the December 2020 interview, her newly uncovered comments about Pence show her understanding that the slate of fake electors could eventually usurp the legitimate elector votes on January 6, 2021.

[there's a lot more in the full article]

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
Thinkin' about watching an exciting-looking YouTube called "Exploring Hoboken"

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

emfive posted:

Thinkin' about watching an exciting-looking YouTube called "Exploring Hoboken"

every time you mention this I imagine it being sung like the chorus of Graham Parker and the Rumour's "Discovering Japan"

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

petit choux posted:

My theory is that CHUDs are largely authoritarians and take their news as they would marching orders, and they are not the people coming up with phrases like "woke mob." That is generally the creation of opportunist agitators like Roger Stone and Steve Bannon, Rush Limbaugh, Donald Trump. They broadcast stuff like this from several media centers at the same time, and generally work together to propagate buzzwords and sound bytes. I think the people we've been referring to as CHUDs are really just not very mentally ambitious people and they are happy to chatter about whatever the newsman tells them to. They can be an army of assholes or kind, helpful people, really they are just pliable. And corollary to that theory is that if the propaganda were to stop, so would most of the mean-spiritedness and prejudice.

i don't necessarily think they're all that pliable... i think they get sucked into these lines of thinking because they're bigots of some manner and that causes conflict when they espouse their bigoted views to others online, and they gravitate towards ideologues and grifters who use the validation of their bigotry as a hook to get them to buy into other sorts of illogicism and penis pills or crypto or whatever

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

emfive posted:

the state decided to stop doing annual auto inspections because it infringes on our freedom to drive cars with missing wheels and on fire.

Pennsylvania's trying to do that too

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

There's also the theory that people who watch Fox News/OAN/Newsmax every waking hour for months or years have unintentionally trained their brain into a state of amygdala hijack whenever they consume information they don't like.

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

lets be real, who'd wanna be mentally ambitious anyway. thinking blows

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Lol

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Pennsylvania's trying to do that too

there's no political theory behind this, it's complete stupidity and even considering that it's to get votes from the kind of people who hate car inspections (like, who are they even?) those people are so loving stupid they're not going to remember you changed the law anyway.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Observing the obvious contradictions in my parents morals and their church's stances over the years which they are obliged to agree with I think that the need for community and the chance of being ostracized is one of the most powerful things in the world, and this is of course being exploited from top down hateful propaganda. You can twist yourself into all kinds of shapes to avoid losing your community.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Get his rear end sir!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

AxGrap posted:

Get his rear end sir!

James Proudtrump