Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

necrotic posted:

The credit amount was based on when you bought the original 911 GT3R, it could have been six depending on when darth bought it!

And the new one is the 911 GT3 R (992), not to be confused with the 911 GT3 Cup (992) xD

I got the full $11.95 USD back and I can't tell you when I bought it but I'll bet I had owned the old GT3 Porsche for less than a year. Is the USD still in the toilet? Are AUS Dollerydoos worth double the USD because then yeah you coulda got $6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Carth Dookie posted:

Ok fine I'll join the discord.

GOD

:corsair:

big fuckin mistake buddy

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Hope you all used unique passwords on TradingPaints.

https://twitter.com/Musantro/status/1696060732666736961

I'm not currently subbed so I've uninstalled TP. It probably doesn't go deeper than ripping out the account details but I'm not sure I want a program pulling information off a compromised website.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Aug 28, 2023

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

ah gently caress.

thanks for the heads up

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think it’s my throwaway password I use on spam sites, but I should probably check.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

For real though, as incompetent and downright negligent a lot of companies are with personal data (not referring to Tradingpaints here) to the point I'd love to see some fingernails pulled out of executives responsible for it, I still want to see more work to detect, deter and defeat that kind of poo poo.

I'm a cranky older millenial and the internet is my lawn. drat kids messing around on it. :corsair:

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Aug 28, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As someone who used to do internet security, these companies don’t want to pay for detect and deter. The C-level exec brain says “why am I paying to detect hackers if we aren’t currently hacked?”

It’s much easier to go on an apology tour for a week after you get hacked and move on.

The extra fun part is if the company in question deals in HIPAA data :cripes:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I know how loving useless the space between the ears of any c- level is but I wasn't talking about them detect/deter/defeat I'm thinking more law enforcement. Sorry that my original post was misleading. Its late here. Anyway that of course inevitably leads to long circular debates about gov intervention and so on and I'm not 100% certain where I want the law to fall on it just yet.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm planning a trip to Japan and to attempt to register a hotel stay at a fairly major hotel chain, I had to create an account with them.

I then got this email back.

Yes, that is the password I chose being sent to me in plain text. Good thing I let chrome pick some random thing because holy poo poo.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i know it's not actually the discussion here but the comparison point of c-level execs and trading paints is very funny to me because the whole of trading paints is like three dudes

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

i know it's not actually the discussion here but the comparison point of c-level execs and trading paints is very funny to me because the whole of trading paints is like three dudes

Yeah, it's not a fair comparison, but secure registration for small sites is already a solved problem since "Login with Google/Facebook/Apple" is a thing.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

impulse purchased the Logitech game pro DD steering wheel. Thanks weed.

Should be here in a week and then I can get 2 guys to massage my rear end in a top hat via direct drive. Should be interesting considering my current wheel is a Fanatec Porsche GT2 which must be coming up to 10 years old now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’ve never used the Logitech, but direct drive is so, so good. I went from a Thrustmaster T300rs, which was honestly a great wheel and the CSL DD is just head and shoulders above

You’ll love it.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Looks like I impulse bought a DD wheel just in time for that huge iracing release. Ferrari 296, Super formula and Porsche GTP were all insta buys.

So yeah. Thanks weed.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Carth Dookie posted:

Looks like I impulse bought a DD wheel just in time for that huge iracing release. Ferrari 296, Super formula and Porsche GTP were all insta buys.

So yeah. Thanks weed.

:sickos:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

IRacing 2023: Thanks Weed

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
4x - Contact high

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yep, that’s the one

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Yeah iracing has been killing the updates recently, even ignoring all the new content the improvements to the number of cars, loading times, the new grass/gravel change, are all killing it.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Really curious to get into some of the new spotter stuff after using CrewChief exclusively for a while.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
As I don't have subs right now, did anything become of the reported TradPaint leak?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Everyone knows about the embarrassing anime livery you run.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

As I don't have subs right now, did anything become of the reported TradPaint leak?

i don't think there's really anything left to come of it, other than "they're fixing or have already fixed it" and "change your password"

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

the new grass/gravel change

Honestly I think they missed on this one. Grass has way too much grip now especially at high speeds under direction change, to the point of it being exploitable at some circuits, people gaining 4 tenths at Monza by using grass. Fortunately Greg West has said they already have an adjustment in QA to bring it back a little bit. Hopefully not at the detriment of low-speed grass grip because that feels about right.

Gravel is better but imo still needs some work too. Slows cars down too much in a straight line, where they'd normally be skipping along the gravel instead of digging in.

Overall it's the right direction, just a little too far.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Honestly I think they missed on this one. Grass has way too much grip now especially at high speeds under direction change, to the point of it being exploitable at some circuits, people gaining 4 tenths at Monza by using grass. Fortunately Greg West has said they already have an adjustment in QA to bring it back a little bit. Hopefully not at the detriment of low-speed grass grip because that feels about right.

Gravel is better but imo still needs some work too. Slows cars down too much in a straight line, where they'd normally be skipping along the gravel instead of digging in.

Overall it's the right direction, just a little too far.

I think IRL cars skip due to digging in and then launching out of the gravel several times per second. I don't think they have any ability to model a 3d deforming surface let alone one that won't meatball the car.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
I think I'm gonna try to hop back in with the upcoming season. The update looks sick. I really want to try out Super Formula

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

So I completely forgot I bought stuff.

Installing it was a doddle. Took far more time to setup the wheel buttons and dials and convince the buttkicker to work. Got there in the end.

New layout

I only had a chance to test drive for a little bit. First impressions:

Ow. My arms hurt. I am pretty certain that without a more robust mounting point I don't want to run it at full strength. I'm pretty confident it has enough torque to flex the frame its mounted on quite a bit. My arms are too noodly anyway.

But even with it moderated, I can feel the difference. Mostly I think the benefit is less in the force possible, than it is about the fact that there's no slop in the feedback like with my old belt driven fanatec so I can feel more through the wheel and faster. I don't have the immediate "woah this is revolutionary" feeling I had with VR or the buttkicker, but I definitely feel an improvement in detail.

Who knows when I'll get the chance to play with it though; I've got Baldurs Gate, DCS and Starfield all competing for my time.

I need to win the lottery so I can quit my job and play games all day. :sigh:

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 11, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Let the rig building begin.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Carth Dookie posted:

I need to win the lottery so I can quit my job and play games all day. :sigh:

You misspelled buy more gear.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Let the rig building begin.

Nah. No space. Half the appeal of the VR and foldable stand setup is how relatively small a footprint it takes up, and relatively easy to pack up and shift if needed.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
iRacing got me loving good with this update, bought both GTPs, the Super Formula and the 296, and they're all pretty fun.

Probably gonna stick to the Caddy for now after testing the others, I'm still fastest in the Caddy, Acura a close second.

296 feels great and I might actually do some GT3 racing now.

SF23 is tough, it's gonna be a bloodbath the first few weeks as people figure out how hard it is to drive and then it'll probably settle into a couple weekly SoF and chill out there, like most of the fast open wheelers tbh. It's very light and very torquey so it loves to loop it out of slow corners.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Is the Super Formula another massively complex chassis with pages and pages of setup adjustments?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The F3 tracklist this season is bananas, I think thats all I'm gonna do

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Is the Super Formula another massively complex chassis with pages and pages of setup adjustments?

I wish I knew, I'm so bad at the setup stuff. It does look like it has a fixed series though.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

The manual is up on iracing's site which details all of the adjustable stuff. There's like 15 pages in the PDF specifically on setup stuff, so probably.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Actually, no. You've got basic spring/torsion bar rates, damper settings, wing angles / rear wicker, and some differential tuning. No gear adjustments, no asymmetric springs, probably the most complicated thing is the third spring/damper on both ends. There are some guardrails on wing settings where you can't max out the front wing on lower rear wing settings.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
anyone have any opinion on the easiest GT3 car to drive coming from the mercedes GT4? I'm about to get the B license promo and wanted to get into fixed GT3 racing.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Sunk Dunk posted:

anyone have any opinion on the easiest GT3 car to drive coming from the mercedes GT4? I'm about to get the B license promo and wanted to get into fixed GT3 racing.

bmw
mercedes
ferrari
lambo
audi
porsche

ford

mclaren

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If it's an open series you're just going to use a setup from online if you're 99% of people anyways so I dunno how relevant it is for it to increase in complexity. Probably gives you an edge over people trying to homebrew setups if it's more complex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
It also comes with a lot of pre-made setups, presumably for the fixed series. They will be decent enough base lines for most people. Not sure if they’d need more fuel or not for open though.