Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Caesar Saladin posted:

I think he's kinda boring nowadays. He seems like he isn't really that interested in games in general, which make his cynicism just boring and trite. The same is true of Stephanie Sterling, she doesn't seem to like video games at all and seems more like she's obligated to talk about them, which just makes it tiresome.

Also I really think AVGN is one of the most influential people in modern video games media and should really be appreciated.

If anything both of them are interested in games in general, but are jaded by the industry and are largely bored by most things coming out of the triple-A space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Caesar Saladin posted:

I think he's kinda boring nowadays. He seems like he isn't really that interested in games in general, which make his cynicism just boring and trite.
I stopped watching him when I realized he just complains about almost every game he plays, like yeah it's fun-ish to watch some slickly-produced humorous dunks, but if he's not actually recommending anything to play instead of the things he's dunking on then what's the point?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

QuarkJets posted:

Imagine wanting to escape and picking up Starfield of all things when BG3 just came out lmao you would be looking like that dude in The Last Crusade after he drank from the wrong cup

Imagine paying $70 for a digital copy of BG3.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

Imagine paying $70 for a digital copy of BG3.

Imagine still thinking that digital vs physical should have any bearing whatsoever on pricing in TYOOL 2023.

70$ being too much: fine. But then that's too much for any other distribution medium as well.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

I think he's kinda boring nowadays. He seems like he isn't really that interested in games in general, which make his cynicism just boring and trite. The same is true of Stephanie Sterling, she doesn't seem to like video games at all and seems more like she's obligated to talk about them, which just makes it tiresome.

Also I really think AVGN is one of the most influential people in modern video games media and should really be appreciated.

He was really the one who started the whole "yelling about old games" thing, and did so with decent production values. It resonated because, if you grew up in the 80s/90s, you undoubtedly rented and/or were gifted your fair share of bad games that either sucked or were so difficult/obtuse that you couldn't make it very far. Everyone who experienced the disappointment of the NES Ghostbusters games or endlessly crashed the plane during the landing sequence in Top Gun could relate to his rants.

Now, watching a 40+ year old going through the motions and yelling about dogshit-diharreah-doodoo, because that's what's expected of him, doesn't resonate in the same way.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

OneEightHundred posted:

I stopped watching him when I realized he just complains about almost every game he plays, like yeah it's fun-ish to watch some slickly-produced humorous dunks, but if he's not actually recommending anything to play instead of the things he's dunking on then what's the point?

There were the occasional games he said he actually enjoyed and gave a positive review, but for the most part, they're more of roasts than reviews.

big black turnout posted:

My unpopular videogame YouTuber opinion is that yahtzee is good and I respect him for growing out of shittier things he did when he was younger

What shittier things?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Vakal posted:

Which is funny as James really doesn't care about video games and never did.

The guy has encyclopedic knowledge of horror movies made before the 1930's though.

Not exactly, James did grow up playing 8 - 16bit videogames but by the time he made his first AVGN video, he was in college studying movie making. But he isn't into videogames like an average goon itt is.

It's actually Mike Matei, who pushed James into making the AVGN thing. Most of the footage and plenty of jokes are actually his personality and takes.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khu9BB2g4Ks

jesus loving christ

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

OneEightHundred posted:

I mean, what exactly were you expecting when you started watching a video featuring a guy calling himself the Angry Video Game Nerd?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

The_Franz posted:

I mean, what exactly were you expecting when you started watching a video featuring a guy calling himself the Angry Video Game Nerd?
That was about Yahtzee/Zero Punctuation.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Charles Martinet is no longer voicing Mario! I'm assuming they're going to get Chris Pratt to do it full time now after how well the Mario movie did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbcE4-b0PKs

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Waltzing Along posted:

The new AVGN vid popped in my feed the other day. I attempted to watch it but it was boring and bad. Just like the last X number of his vids I have tried to watch. He should retire AVGN and just focus on other stuff. Bring back Board James. Just do actual reviews. Whatever. He already has the subscriber base.

The last good vid I can remember was Big Rigs which I think was almost 10 years ago now.

afaik AVGN is actually severely managed by one of the many youtube middleman companies. there's been significant internal distress, layoffs, and walk-outs in the past couple of years because the owners are greedy, disconnected pieces of poo poo.

apparently james rolfe-the-person is kind of spacey and disconnected, so they walk all over him and he just doesn't care. the other people involved in the production of the videos did care about the quality and the content, however, and they either left or were pushed out by management.

it's like the aristocrats but the punch line is, capitalism!!

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 7, 2023

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

OneEightHundred posted:

Red Letter Media just stopped talking about the garbage that would bring views but they were hating more and more, and I think they've been better for it. Unfortunately, if you depend on the youtube algorithm for a living, you become a slave to it and a lot of people find themselves trapped, talking about poo poo they don't care about because it'll get people to click.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Vakal posted:

Which is funny as James really doesn't care about video games and never did.

The guy has encyclopedic knowledge of horror movies made before the 1930's though.

He makes really good classic cinema content too, it's just that not nearly the same amount of people care about it. This is one of the best videos he ever put together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awwwtYdeymI

Fur20 posted:

afaik AVGN is actually severely managed by one of the many youtube middleman companies. there's been significant internal distress, layoffs, and walk-outs in the past couple of years because the owners are greedy, disconnected pieces of poo poo.

apparently james rolfe-the-person is kind of spacey and disconnected, so they walk all over him and he just doesn't care. the other people involved in the production of the videos did care about the quality and the content, however, and they either left or were pushed out by management.

it's like the aristocrats but the punch line is, capitalism!!

Yeah Screenwave Media basically took over the channel both in front and behind the camera around 2016 and everything became unwatchable. I think the contract eventually ran out and now James is back to doing random videos whenever he feels like it.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Random Stranger posted:

Red Letter Media just stopped talking about the garbage that would bring views but they were hating more and more, and I think they've been better for it. Unfortunately, if you depend on the youtube algorithm for a living, you become a slave to it and a lot of people find themselves trapped, talking about poo poo they don't care about because it'll get people to click.

Still beats having a regular job though.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Nice Van My Man posted:

Charles Martinet is no longer voicing Mario! I'm assuming they're going to get Chris Pratt to do it full time now after how well the Mario movie did.

you can hear marios new VA in the mario wonder trailers, they haven't given a name yet but it doesn't sound like chris pratt

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Charles Martinet had too much power, even now his new role is a chain to keep him from creating his own Mario's to overtake Nintendo. They don't want to name the new VA and start letting them have that power too, if they even reuse them.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Thick Brooklyn accent Mario from the Super Show cartoon segments will always be the true Mario voice in my heart.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

repiv posted:

you can hear marios new VA in the mario wonder trailers, they haven't given a name yet but it doesn't sound like chris pratt

Oh yeah, I can't tell the difference. I need to hear the new voice actor deliver one of Mario's famous soliloquies before I can judge.

Vakal posted:

Thick Brooklyn accent Mario from the Super Show cartoon segments will always be the true Mario voice in my heart.

Hell yeah, and chainsmoking Toad.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

FoolyCharged posted:

What shittier things?

He used to do the ret***ed moments in gaming history thing, rape jokes, etc. Nothing especially egregious for the times, but as an angry video game YouTuber, it wouldn't have been surprising if he doubled down and made it his personality instead of moving with the times.

And yeah, he actually gives good reviews but they're mostly to like indie games and stuff that isn't AAA, which I don't think is unfair

big black turnout fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 7, 2023

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
The only video game reviewer/commentator worth listening to is Tim Rogers

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Not gonna lie. If the prat were to keel over I wouldn't be very sad.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Nice Van My Man posted:

Oh yeah, I can't tell the difference. I need to hear the new voice actor deliver one of Mario's famous soliloquies before I can judge.

Hell yeah, and chainsmoking Toad.

There's still definitely something wrong with Toad's throat though in the games what's up with that?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
that's the sound of the spores bubbling up out of his throat and being expelled through his mouth when he talks

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I broke a PS4 disc (monster hunter works) and never purchased a physical copy of a video game ever again

Everyone who buys physical copies of video games is stupid

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I sold a PS4 disk and got back what I paid for it.

Everyone who buys digital copies of video games is really stupid.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I pirated a game and then kept if forever without paying a cent. Them I shared it with my friends and kept my copy.

Anyone who buys games is stupid

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

I pirated a game and then kept if forever without paying a cent. Them I shared it with my friends and kept my copy.

"I'm proud to be a thief!"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Waltzing Along posted:

You can’t play that game anymore you idiot. You fool

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

"I'm proud to be a thief!"

Lmao

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
You wouldn't download a video game.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

Vic posted:

Not exactly, James did grow up playing 8 - 16bit videogames but by the time he made his first AVGN video, he was in college studying movie making. But he isn't into videogames like an average goon itt is.

It's actually Mike Matei, who pushed James into making the AVGN thing. Most of the footage and plenty of jokes are actually his personality and takes.

This makes sense because I always thought his best work was Board James. That was a good time to (still) be a AVGN fan.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

Yeah being 12 was pretty awesome ngl

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

:pcgaming1:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Not as stupid as the person who bought your PS4 disk for what you paid for it.

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 7, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Fighting Elegy posted:

This makes sense because I always thought his best work was Board James. That was a good time to (still) be a AVGN fan.

This is a good video about all that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmC5Zte5RnM

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I got AVGN confused with Nostalgia Critic and their godawful review of The Wall so if anyone else wants to suffer too, here is one of the absolute worst artistic critiques Humanity has produced in its entire existence, featuring Corey Taylor from Slipknot (and I think his son?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg4EZW3_XuA

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 7, 2023

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Konar posted:

The british guy who talks too fast? That is unpopular because I loving hate that guy so much

He's okay, bit he was part of a British wave of humour that was like "plahy Eldeah Scrolls: Obwivian? I'd rathah have my bawls dipped in curry sauce by David Cameron! I loike dr Hoo from the 70s!" But delivered like you need to double your prescription of Serlatine.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

I got AVGN confused with Nostalgia Critic and their godawful review of The Wall so if anyone else wants to suffer too, here is one of the absolute worst artistic critiques Humanity has produced in its entire existence, featuring Corey Taylor from Slipknot (and I think his son?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg4EZW3_XuA

Watch this instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rokAtlFGa7Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I think I posted this before but Yahtzee used to, briefly, have a "gamer bar" in my city called The Mana Bar. He hyped it up as a cool bar for gamers where everyone could hang out and drink and play games.

I don't care about Yahtzee, but friends at the time really did. So I got dragged there twice, by two different groups of friends. It was the dumbest loving bar. First off, where every other bar was at least reasonably sized this place could comfortably fit... a dozen people. Like tiny. Also the floor was not even finished. They just gave up. The whole place was dingy.

They originally hyped it up as having all the latest games for you to play, etc. What they actually had was four OG Xboxes hooked up like old school demo units we used to see in stores. And they all had one random indie game they were promoting. It was not a great game, and some random guy joined me and my friend playing and I was talking poo poo about the game. Dude sulked away after telling us he was the world champion of the game, despite seemingly winning only a handful of times.

Anyway, it's weird seeing someone in the Australian summer wear a trench coat and trilby but Yahtzee sure did, along with his sunglasses. Dude is one of the lankiest people I've seen too. He looked like someone was trying mid tier cosplay but for Columbine shooters.

He actually had people come up to him while he was talking to the bouncer (who seemed very disinterested) and they were clearly wanting to say hi. He saw them, scoffed and walked right past them. He did this both times I went there lol. Also hearing him try and talk about random nerd poo poo to a bouncer who is bored as gently caress while actual fans are keen to talk to you is loving hilariously sad.

Drinks sucked and were overpriced but no surprises there. I spent a bunch of time talking to the bartender because the place sucked but my friends were playing the one dumb game to make the trip worth it lol. Basically none of the staff liked it there, no one likes him, bartender etc made suggestions for things and all got shut down. Like four months later the place shut down.

I've met Yahtzee twice in person and I had to resist the urge to swirlie the absolute loving dork. Welp, there's my YouTuber story.