Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

StarkRavingMad posted:

Curious if anyone has gone deep into social. Stuff like "make enemies run away" and "make enemies fight each other" sounds like fun, but I know Bethesda games well enough to know they'll either be totally overpowered or completely useless, and I'd like to know which it is before investing deep into that skill tree.

they just sound super lame to me tbh

I'm going to go all into deception for smuggling tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Jelly posted:

So I'm the only person who owns this game who isn't allowed to build outposts for some reason, awesome.

Guess I'll return it since a very basic game feature doesn't work and I don't really want to restart after I've already put ten hours into this buggy piece of poo poo.

Are you building on extreme environments?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jelly posted:

So I'm the only person who owns this game who isn't allowed to build outposts for some reason, awesome.

Guess I'll return it since a very basic game feature doesn't work and I don't really want to restart after I've already put ten hours into this buggy piece of poo poo.

It's really a completely optional and tangential game feature but if you don't like restarting the central concept of the game might bug you anyway

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
One thing that sucks is the skills. A lot of them are some variation of "increase damage/stat by X%" and the rank requirements you either forget about or actually have to go out of your way to grind.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Also, gently caress this spawn wavy poo poo at the end.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Tankbuster posted:

cydonia is a gloomy shithole with people literally escaping into the mines to stay away from the corporations and all the security guard can say is "hey if you think this place has you down please see a therapist."

Oh okay cool, Bethesda ftw

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

BULBASAUR posted:

they just sound super lame to me tbh

I'm going to go all into deception for smuggling tho

I will say at the very least Manipulation uses the scanner, as does Instigation/Intimidation/Diplomacy from what I saw.

So good chance it sucks by virtue of your shitbox scanner wanting points and unique flora/fauna/rocks to even get a decent range. I wouldn't know, I had mine at 20m when I got the Internal Neuroamp.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Al! posted:

the politics of starfield are deeply subversive, im pretty sure completely on accident. i think youre supposed to think of the uc or freestar as the best possible options in a dangerous galaxy but theyre both different flavors of bad liberal

the museum you walk through in the uc recruitment quest makes it very clear that you are not supposed to view the uc favorably at all

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I like the Wanted trait a lot. Ecliptic mercs delivering equipment, money, XP, and a free ship to me at random? Yes please!

I was just on some random moon, methodically clearing out some outpost from pirates, and I saw an ecliptic ship come in from orbit. They, of course, moved towards me, and encountered the pirates. A fight ensued where I would randomly plink away at people as they attempted to murder each other.

Multiple bodies flying off due to explosions and low gravity later, I had another ship to sell and more loot than I can loving carry. Now I just need vendors with actual loving money.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

whats up with the Red Mile where I walked past all the enemies and hazards and back with ease. everything is so janky I can’t tell if thats how its supposed to go

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I don't really get people saying the companions are *mechanically* bad, except for the whole "they love to get in your way"

give them a powerful weapon you can't get enough ammo for, give them 1 ammo, and bam, you have an infinite ammo turret who will mulch things

my go-to is the Advanced AA-23 that spawns in a procgen POI (which ofc I forget) and has a "spacer armory" in a locked door that always has two Advanced AA-23s and like 5 combat knives

this is useful because you can find it at level 10 like I did, and the Advanced AA-23 deals 53 damage full auto, and 93 damage in semi-auto (but takes relatively rare 11mm ammo so using myself isn't practical)

give it to a companion (and possibly leave it full auto, I put it to semi auto and it seems worse in their hands since they never fire it quickly) and they will absolutely mulch everything, even on very hard

the only real problem is that it appears that if they murder things without you being involved, you don't get XP, but "being involved" seems to include "just ADSing at the target" but not "getting shot at by the target"

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the museum you walk through in the uc recruitment quest makes it very clear that you are not supposed to view the uc favorably at all

only obsidian could make a game with the hot take that "modern society bad".

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

mistermojo posted:

whats up with the Red Mile where I walked past all the enemies and hazards and back with ease. everything is so janky I can’t tell if thats how its supposed to go

dunno whats wrong with you but I had to abuse boostpacks to get to the top.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

DaysBefore posted:

I've used the 'stop fighting me' one a few times, it's useful. But it's buried in a submenu of the scanner mode so it's not the easiest to remember in a big fight (see also powers)

huh, I wonder if that's the sort of UI thing that could eventually get a mod to have a better hotkey or something

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kaddish posted:

So is Manipulate just a forgotten mechanic after that mission?

No. It adds high value (+5 to +7) green options in persuasion attempts all throughout the rest of the game, and comes in handy for Ryujin's radiant quests when you need to hack something someone's looking at. You can send them to the other side of the room and hack away.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I am here to sound like a crazy person and say: I wish we had more guns, or at least more variety in what the 'good' guns are. This is accounting for fully unlocked mods and upgrades, though it holds up even without.
Though to be honest I have also entirely ignored pistols/SMGs as a weapon class in my playthrough.

Overall, the 'magX' metalstorm weapons are so far and above anything else it isn't even funny. Pretty much anything in that 'brand' is going to kick rear end.

Best AR: Magshear by a wide margin. Doubly so if you get the legendary one from Legacy bitcoin ship. Only the AA-99 comes even close.
The Va'Ruun Inflictor kind of stands alone as an excellent rifle - but it shines best in semi-auto configuration, which will lose out on raw numbers to the full auto buzz-saw that is the MagShear. Use it as a DMR and it won't disappoint.
I'll aslo note that the Drumbeat is a solid choice before you can get your hands on the above - and a decent pick for your companions to run around with.

Best sniper: Magsniper - especially when you realize you can charge it up to do insane amounts of damage per shot.

Best shotgun: Big Bang - though the MagPulse is solid and has crazy range for a 'shotgun', the damage per shot doesn't quite stand up to big bang and it's ludicrous energy blast.

Best heavy: Microgun - fully upgraded, this thing does incomparable amounts of damage. The Negotiatior grenade launcher is worth mentioning - but suffers from the 'stop making bad MIRV projectiles' Bethesda - just use default explosive. The MagStorm, for once, is pretty middling - but if you don't like spinning up barrels, it's a solid alternative to the Microgun - however it lask for customization. The MagStorm is one of the best guns you can give to companions!

The cowboy guns look neat but don't do anything particularly outstanding.
The 'starter' weapons absolutely do not hold up, even with the 'advanced' versions you find later - things like the Beowulf and other P90-styled toploaders, and the Maelstrom.
'Old Earth' series weapons are kinda fun but as above, don't hold up.

The legendaries offer up some fun alternatives, especially for the off-'meta' brands, but compare advanced and even Legendary 'on meta' guns, they aren't even in the same ballpark.

At some point I'll dick around with pistols, but for this playthrough I left them entirely by the wayside.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
red mile is something you can focus on if you want to optimize moving as fast as possible for as long as possible

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Further Reading posted:

Are you building on extreme environments?
Currently I'm on a planet that has a high level of solar radiation and as soon as I got like 300 (!) M away from anything the drat button finally highlighted again, so evidently you can still build even in hazards.

It's super frustrating but I didn't need to be as dramatic as all that. Just sucks when you want to enjoy a game but keep getting hung up on little things. I swear I walked around a planet for like two hours and never had an opportunity to build one but I suppose it's entirely possible I was never more than 300 M away from any given landmark. Or whatever the threshold is.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I love that the "start with a house" trait is also the "start with tremendous debt" trait

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

mistermojo posted:

that just is a script breaking, the Maulers attack in groups and are a threat at level 10-15

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

StarkRavingMad posted:

huh, I wonder if that's the sort of UI thing that could eventually get a mod to have a better hotkey or something

Hopefully! Fallout 4 had one perk that worked like Diplomacy/Manipulation but it activated by aiming your gun at a guy and pressing E. Just open the 'Social' menu the same way rather than making me put my space blaster away midfight lol

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Ever since the preview, this has been my favorite premade ship. Just something about it.

The pirate ships are a close second

I'm thinking of starting building my own marathon from curvy pirate parts. Which manufacturer does the space hind cockpit and the big rear end pirate side thruster things? I still can't even open the ship builder without crashing my game.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

that just is a script breaking, the Maulers attack in groups and are a threat at level 10-15

I had explosions keep happening when I went for the return, too. Not sure if that's a bug or some random event.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

DarkDobe posted:

I am here to sound like a crazy person and say: I wish we had more guns, or at least more variety in what the 'good' guns are. This is accounting for fully unlocked mods and upgrades, though it holds up even without.
Though to be honest I have also entirely ignored pistols/SMGs as a weapon class in my playthrough.

Overall, the 'magX' metalstorm weapons are so far and above anything else it isn't even funny. Pretty much anything in that 'brand' is going to kick rear end.

Best AR: Magshear by a wide margin. Doubly so if you get the legendary one from Legacy bitcoin ship. Only the AA-99 comes even close.
The Va'Ruun Inflictor kind of stands alone as an excellent rifle - but it shines best in semi-auto configuration, which will lose out on raw numbers to the full auto buzz-saw that is the MagShear. Use it as a DMR and it won't disappoint.
I'll aslo note that the Drumbeat is a solid choice before you can get your hands on the above - and a decent pick for your companions to run around with.

Best sniper: Magsniper - especially when you realize you can charge it up to do insane amounts of damage per shot.

Best shotgun: Big Bang - though the MagPulse is solid and has crazy range for a 'shotgun', the damage per shot doesn't quite stand up to big bang and it's ludicrous energy blast.

Best heavy: Microgun - fully upgraded, this thing does incomparable amounts of damage. The Negotiatior grenade launcher is worth mentioning - but suffers from the 'stop making bad MIRV projectiles' Bethesda - just use default explosive. The MagStorm, for once, is pretty middling - but if you don't like spinning up barrels, it's a solid alternative to the Microgun - however it lask for customization. The MagStorm is one of the best guns you can give to companions!

The cowboy guns look neat but don't do anything particularly outstanding.
The 'starter' weapons absolutely do not hold up, even with the 'advanced' versions you find later - things like the Beowulf and other P90-styled toploaders, and the Maelstrom.
'Old Earth' series weapons are kinda fun but as above, don't hold up.

The legendaries offer up some fun alternatives, especially for the off-'meta' brands, but compare advanced and even Legendary 'on meta' guns, they aren't even in the same ballpark.

At some point I'll dick around with pistols, but for this playthrough I left them entirely by the wayside.

I hope some mod gives the cowboy guns better stats, because they look the coolest to me by a mile

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Goa Tse-tung posted:

well thats good then. to be fair to the game most rpg enemies and missions can be defeated by running past everything

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

DaysBefore posted:

Hopefully! Fallout 4 had one perk that worked like Diplomacy/Manipulation but it activated by aiming your gun at a guy and pressing E. Just open the 'Social' menu the same way rather than making me put my space blaster away midfight lol

Yeah. I'm going to do a restart since I'm not feeling the stealth build I was doing, and I'm thinking of trying social/shotgun. Make enemies stop fighting/run away/fight each other, boost companions, and when I have to get my hands dirty, run up to whoever remains and blast them at close range.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

BULBASAUR posted:

I hope some mod gives the cowboy guns better stats, because they look the coolest to me by a mile

give yourself permission to play non optimally

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

BULBASAUR posted:

Ever since the preview, this has been my favorite premade ship. Just something about it.

The pirate ships are a close second

I'm thinking of starting building my own marathon from curvy pirate parts. Which manufacturer does the space hind cockpit and the big rear end pirate side thruster things? I still can't even open the ship builder without crashing my game.

I think the Watchdog is a Hope ship, so can be found in Valo/Polvo at HopeTown & a couple other places.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
I wish I could set up reactor presets for my ship, and bind them to 1-9. Is there a mod like that yet?

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

heavenly piercing toke'n smoke'n

BULBASAUR posted:

like another said, dont always feel like you need to stick to meta weapons. the game is not that difficult, not by a long shot. if you really want to feel good using them though, there are a couple 'hardcore' damage mods ala fallout 4 where enemies take increased headshot damage. sure a cowboy gun might not punch through high tech tracker merc armor, but a skull is a skull and .45 will work all the same.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

BULBASAUR posted:

I still can't even open the ship builder without crashing my game.

Also dang I'm surprised you keep trying with this game given how many crashes you've experienced

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I'm 48 hours in and I've only ever had the bounty hunters attack in space. How frequently are they meant to land on a planet?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Still runs like poo poo unless you got a 4090 and 13900k

3080ti and a 10700K

60-75fps

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Still runs like poo poo unless you got a 4090 and 13900k

10700k/3070 and it runs great

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Combat Pretzel posted:

Last leg of the presumably final mission and I'm out of medpacks. :golfclap:

Have you been picking up trauma kits and emergency thingies. There's three tiers of health potions.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Very Hard is indeed, Very Hard. I have to give them that. There's no way I'm winning this 3v1 space battle

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://twitter.com/Mr_Rebs_/status/1699848652150255879
https://www.reddit.com/r/Starfield/comments/16c4wog/so_thats_why_i_couldnt_fast_travel/

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

George Sex - REAL posted:

Introvert is good because companions suck generally and suck specifically because they're all nerds.

Wanted is good for the early game cash/exp and ships of having mercs throw themselves into your devouring maw.

Alien DNA is a flat boost to O2 and Health at the expense of food being less useful. Who among us is dealing with food?

The one that gives the fan is good because he is the one companion that is not a nerd, he is a freak. A freak for you.

People like kid stuff, but honestly I was a little weirded out by their presentation.

Kaiser should be recruitable and function as a non-companion like dogmeat with Introvert and Lone Wolf

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Al! posted:

give yourself permission to play non optimally

entire game is non optimized

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

trizzNPH posted:

defo no shame in consoling weight limit to whatever you think is fun, but my personal limit is currently 260kg and at this point i have to try to be carrying too much. usually its because i stupidly am carrying 50 solvents and adaptive frames that I should've offloaded to an outpost where they'll actually get used.
I know that people roundly hated FO4’s component-based crafting and how it integrated into junk carrying, but I always really liked it — I liked settlement building despite its meaninglessness, up to and including Sim Settlements 2. And I liked how progressing through combat areas and exploration naturally and comprehensively fed into crafting.

Starfield feels incredibly opaque in comparison, one because getting sufficient crafting components to go hog wild is completely separated from dungeoneering, made into its own discrete tasks of mining / gathering, and because unlike FO4, an entire world space (figuratively and literally) will basically be the FO4 equivalent of a dungeon that only has ceramics and wood. You have to gently caress off to another map entirely to scrounge for copper or steel.

It’s one thing to craft in FO4 and hit a wall on a given build because you’ve ran out of concrete, because there are usually flexible alternatives (the rare / valuable materials, like fiber optics, you only need small quantities of, and they do a lot with a little). It also helps that nearly every settlement site comes pre-loaded with enough basic materials to get started. In Starfield, it feels like you’re either hoarding hundreds of kilos of iron and aluminum and tungsten, or you’re constantly running dry.

The basic stress test is, how much legwork do I need to bother with to set up the most basic base things? Hab, some power, a mining rig and basic storage for its output? In FO4 you need very little. In Starfield, frankly, it feels like a lot. You need a lot of iron and aluminum, plus whatever uncommon metals are needed for a particular variety of resource gathering. And there’s no quick and dirty way to like “oop, out of glass, guess I’ll melt some bottles down”. All saleable junk could also be useful junk. At a certain point this included combat loot, as well.

Starfield does not do this and it makes the margins of encumbrance feel way more punishing — I have a choice to use my pack to either rack up dungeon loot to sell, or engage with building. I cannot do both. I cannot go from dungeon to market to building. Dungeoneering penalizes crafting (at least, at a certain scale) because of the opportunity cost it presents.

Add to that how much manual map traversal is required to unload into ship cargo, if you don’t make a point to fast travel before you hit the marginal threshold at which you just have to hold it and manage O2. Add to that how collection of one or two basic elements will usually require going to a different planet.

Add to that how complicated creating a unified inventory of settlement resources is — how if you want a resource-gathering outpost to connect on an interstellar level, it has to be or be connected to an in-system outpost which can mine Helium-3. In FO4 you had to have a certain CHA perk to create a common inventory, but all you needed beyond that was a random settler.

Add to all that the fact that crafting generally is not dense or interesting enough to make this system useful. Add to that the number of perks and perk requirements needed to engage with it on a high level and / or obviate the need for manual collection of resources. Add to that how lifeless outposts are even when you staff them.

Add to that how the outputs of all this, fed into crafting and quests, are not interesting to use (most quests just hauling, most crafts giving you a vague stat boost), and how for a higher credit cost but a far lower XP / time cost, you can basically just get all those outputs at market.

FO4’s settlement building and its systems were shallow, of course. But it had a low barrier to entry, integrated into the basic loops of play, and let you drop almost immediately into Sims house-building mode. Then it gave you drone PCs to give the faint facade of use and life. Starfield, to this point, has none of that.