Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

The last pitch of the game. Just peak Bucknor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Tony Phillips posted:

Side note - Nelson Cruz's 4 year contract with the M's was possibly the best free agent signing they've ever had and I will forever like him, but a part of that is because he didn't catch a ball.

Everybody should love Nelson Cruz because he is awesome. I blame Wash and crew for not paying any attention to his positioning or replacing him defensively.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I miss Nelson Cruz' smile and amazing chinstrap beard.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm sure bawfuls already knows about this but it seems neat so sharing for everyone else

https://twitter.com/ByMcCullough/status/1699800318807257110

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm sure bawfuls already knows about this but it seems neat so sharing for everyone else

I have a little (virtual) pile of baseball books to read that I should really get into now that I've weaned myself off of Warahmmer 40k books and can probably actually focus on them, so I'm glad I can add this to it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

I have a little (virtual) pile of baseball books to read that I should really get into now that I've weaned myself off of Warahmmer 40k books and can probably actually focus on them, so I'm glad I can add this to it.

The Emperor of Baseball sits on his golden mound...

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Poque posted:

Give it a few years

:negative: you bastard

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

The Emperor of Baseball sits on his golden mound...

High Lords Of The Realm

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Bucknor is just loving terrible. Hernandez and him are the guys that if I put on a game and see he's behind the plate I just turn it off and watch something else.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

he had a book deal in place for the 2017 Dodgers title run but when that went in the can I think he transitioned it into this

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

bawfuls posted:

he had a book deal in place for the 2017 Dodgers title run but when that went in the can

I see what you did there

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Pitcher wins are BACK and they're good again
https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1699534124371898876?s=20

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
https://twitter.com/britt_ghiroli/status/1699843903065612308

https://twitter.com/Britt_Ghiroli/status/1699848652884210099

:psyduck:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh man the Nationals are about to gently caress up to an insane degree

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

They're gonna offer him a deal that involves paying out the money over like 60 years or something

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

IcePhoenix posted:

They're gonna offer him a deal that involves paying out the money over like 60 years or something

I look forward to celebrating Stephen Strasburg Day with my grandkids

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I thought he was already getting a load of deferred money?

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

Andy served his time as the Royals beat writer for a few years at the KC Star. I'm happy to see he's moved on to much better things.

The Royals took two of three from the White Sox to stay a half game up on the A's. It will be real embarrassing if they finish with a worse record than a team actively trying to lose. :sigh:

Nelson Velazquez has bee bashing dingers since we traded that lovely reliever to the Cubs. The lovely reliever has a 0.61 ERA - and a 4.69 FIP. That has to be the biggest discrepancy between ERA and FIP I've ever seen.

Exodor fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 7, 2023

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Are billionaires in a secret contest to gently caress up PR in new ways

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

zoux posted:

I'm losing my mind

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
this is so stupid

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

zoux posted:

:emptyquote:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:wtc:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
maybe he failed the physical

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whoa dude did you know your arm is hosed up? Like hosed to hell.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

zoux posted:

MLB N/V September: oh man the ________ are about to gently caress up to an insane degree

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mdemone posted:

MLB N/V September: oh man the ________ are about to gently caress up to an insane degree

https://twitter.com/gingersnaphyde/status/1698775943928541665

lol the rags

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Ragans has been so good.

I'm going to be so sad when he exits a game with "forearm soreness" and goes on the shelf for a year with TJ because the Royals can't have nice things.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I find it kind of hilarious that the Rangers traded for Chapman instead of just putting the 100 MPH FB lefty they already had in their bullpen.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Serves them right for wanting a woman beating scumbag on their team tbh

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The Cubs are the only team to ever successfully trade for Aroldis Chapman.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

An ignominious accolade

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

given what happened in game 7 though...

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

given what happened in game 7 though...

In hindsight it was the ideal result. Him blowing the 8th inning ensured that Zobrist won the MVP and we never have to remember Chapman again.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

In hindsight it was the ideal result. Him blowing the 8th inning ensured that Zobrist won the MVP and we never have to remember Chapman again.

Chicago Cubs hero... Rajai Davis???

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I always loved CJ, so I really wanted him to get the last out, but Mike Montgomery also has a certain "not-Aroldis-Chapman"-ness about him that I appreciate.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Speaking of baseball books: any recs? I've got a trip to Europe with a lot of train travel coming up.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Bill James historical abstract is the best baseball book ever written. But you've probably already read that.

Joe Posnanski's new baseball book just came out like yesterday. Also if you never read The Soul of Baseball you should rectify that. (e: but if you don't want to give money to the guy who vociferously defended Joe Paterno and never apologized for it, I don't blame you. You should still get The Soul of Baseball from a library or something though.)

The Only Rule Is It Has To Work was a fun read.

If you've already read Ball Four and Nine Innings they still hold up great on reread.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 7, 2023

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Lords of the Realm is great. I really enjoyed the Bo Jackson biography from last year, The Last Folk Hero, and there's a lot of good baseball stories in there. (Bo nearly strangled Kevin Seitzer once!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

It's been a while since I read it, but I remember like Eight Men Out, and it was a relatively easy read. A Well Paid Slave is about Curt Flood's fight to become a free agent. It gets a little deep into law talk, so be prepared for that, otherwise it's good.