Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Sentient Data posted:

That's unironically why I'd be willing to skydive but not bungee. I'd rather risk death than risk a life ruining maiming

Oh man. I matched with a woman on tinder years ago who was recovering from a skydiving accident. Apparently her instructor or whatever had a heart attack or something and basically died during their jump and his body cushioned her fall enough that she survived. Some bruises and poo poo. I guess emergency/reserve chutes can open automatically these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

dog nougat posted:

Oh man. I matched with a woman on tinder years ago who was recovering from a skydiving accident. Apparently her instructor or whatever had a heart attack or something and basically died during their jump and his body cushioned her fall enough that she survived. Some bruises and poo poo. I guess emergency/reserve chutes can open automatically these days.

Really, really hoping that anecdote was her entire profile.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

dog nougat posted:

Did she fall for you?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

dog nougat posted:

It's called a CYPRES AAD, or automatic activation device. They've been around for decades now, and are quite common - I'd be surprised if there were any tandem masters that didn't use one. They are designed to open your parachute automatically if you hit a certain altitude while still falling at a certain rate of speed.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Did she fall for you?

She probably bounced pretty hard

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

dog nougat posted:

Note to self: strap on a dead body when going skydiving.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I hope you weren't just another rebound guy for her.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Drunk or asleep?

https://i.imgur.com/uLv8SSZ.mp4

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Looks like a mechanical failure of some sort. The anchor is the only thing that stopped them from hitting the pier.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

In the days before OSHA; fun clip of steeplejack Fred Dibnah knocking down a geet big chimney brick-by-brick and doing some precarious clambering.

I remember him getting some bad press for saying he has a 'cheeky few pints' before starting the days work and he could only respond 'you try doing this bloody job sober.'

Speaking of old-timey Brit OSHA EU-OSHA HSE this just got posted in UKMT:

fuctifino posted:

e: John Noakes is trending, and it's because of this video:

https://twitter.com/danbarker/status/1699517438952399195

We certainly did things differently in the 70's... :lol:

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 7, 2023

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

dog nougat posted:

"Did it hurt when you fell from Heaven? Cause it really hosed up your face."

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Oh no, you won't trick me into releasing a T-Rex a second time.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
dudes in the 70's all weighed like 130 pounds so even the most janky ladder would support them.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Mr. Nice! posted:

Looks like a mechanical failure of some sort. The anchor is the only thing that stopped them from hitting the pier.

Those anchors don't do poo poo to brake a moving freighter. You can see the ship rise out of the water as it hits the ground.

Agreed on mechanical failure of some sort, though.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Swerved to miss a sailboat and lost control.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

It's hard to tell how fast it's actually going, but if it's going like 10 knots (about 5 meters per second), it will only be able to raise up about 1.3 meter based on its energy. It's got a lot of momentum but it also takes a lot of energy to raise the ship up.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Surely it's just a super urgent delivery of footballs?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Can't park there, matey.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

So I just read in the news about some dude who went super deep into a cave and then because so violently ill he might die and there is currently a rescue attempt underway.

And no one is worried he might be super infectious?

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

idk seems like the captain of that boat should be commended, they stopped before hitting the fence

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sammus posted:

So I just read in the news about some dude who went super deep into a cave and then because so violently ill he might die and there is currently a rescue attempt underway.

Probably just the doctors that the 150-person rescue team would be consulting with. Presumably they've ruled out CAVE EBOLA

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Devor posted:

Probably just the doctors that the 150-person rescue team would be consulting with. Presumably they've ruled out CAVE EBOLA

I just want to add that Cave Ebola is totally a real thing that has happened in the past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitum_Cave

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

He has all the gastrointestinal symptoms of eating rocks. Sounds like a classic case of cave madness!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Finally a follow up to Ted the Caver

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Sammus posted:

He probably just ate the fake gold in Smuggler's Den.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

So, although this dude's wearing a lab coat... this does not strike me as particularly OSHA approved.

https://reddit.com/r/Damnthatsinteresting/s/T4SJQPFbRJ

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

The Bananana posted:

So, although this dude's wearing a lab coat... this does not strike me as particularly OSHA approved.

:stonk:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

The Bananana posted:

ay cabron indeed

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

2014 engine failure in hong kong

https://shipwrecklog.com/log/2014/04/hansa-constitution/

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
LOL the comments claiming they cleaned that mess up, it would take days to find all the pieces from that safe/bottle. Also the comments saying gently caress the wildlife in area, these guys make lots of $$$ doing stupid poo poo, it's awesome!

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

LifeSunDeath posted:

dudes in the 70's all weighed like 130 pounds so even the most janky ladder would support them.

The one worker was smoking most of the time.

Those people were nuts.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/2ehgDI5.mp4

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Would have been better if the emergency light was on.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Shitter's pulled

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
new Jackass stunt in the works I see

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It'll be really lovely if they have to stop quickly.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
That poo poo is moving.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Shitlord actual

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...