Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

KomradeX posted:

Who the gently caress is this supposed to appeal to?

People that really like wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

You can buy knives made from artillery shells fired by America or China. Victorian Cross medal is made from an old hunk of captured cannon, but it's not like I can buy one of those medals online.

edit: lol the Victorian Cross cannon was captured during the Opium Wars

The medal also looks like complete poo poo! You can absolutely buy them secondhand but they aren't worth getting.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KomradeX posted:

The type of person that watches 60 Minutes.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

KomradeX posted:

Recent Gallup polls show self identified Democrats approve of Biden and most highly approve of his handling of Ukraine.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
if we go by gbs then the average 'leftist' that 'doesn't like politics' thinks Biden is amazing and the Ukraine war loving awesome

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

axelord posted:

Musk would want plausible deniability, there's no way that he is monitoring everything Ukraine is doing on the network or policing anything. And it's likely Starlink is being used to hit targets in Russia.

I could totally buy that he does. Musk doesn't come off as being particularly risk averse to legal exposure.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Lol who the gently caress is concerned about Ukraine advancing towards Crimea what planet they on??

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Asproigerosis posted:

Lol who the gently caress is concerned about Ukraine advancing towards Crimea what planet they on??

Russia shouldn't control Crimea anymore, it belongs to Zelensky

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ukraine should be concerned about advancing toward crimea because there are a lot of mines everywhere

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

What things are made from recycled war materials other than fetishes for a far right political persuasion?

You can buy knives made from artillery shells fired by America or China. Victorian Cross medal is made from an old hunk of captured cannon, but it's not like I can buy one of those medals online.

I have a bottle opener in the shape of Laos made from a bomb America dropped on that country. It is of particularly low quality.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
lmao what a hall of fame european liberal career. get Finland to join NATO and then resign to work for tony blair

Former PM Sanna Marin quits Finnish politics to join Tony Blair Institute
Marin, who stepped down as leader of the Social Democrats after finishing third in April’s election, to resign as MP

Sanna Marin, the former Finnish prime minister, has announced she will work as an adviser for the Tony Blair Institute after stepping down as head of her party.

Marin, who became one of Europe’s youngest leaders when she took office as prime minister in 2019 and oversaw Finland’s successful application to join Nato, formally stepped down as head of the Social Democrats earlier this month. She plans to resign as an MP.

“Time to move on,” she told the Finnish broadcaster Yle as she announced her departure from Finnish politics. “I am eager to step into a new role. I also believe that it can benefit the whole of Finland. I believe that I can serve those voters [in Finland] well and maybe even better in the new assignment.”

The job will include advising countries, governments and leaders on policy issues such as good governance, technology, climate and gender equality, she said.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Ukraine should be concerned about advancing toward crimea because there are a lot of mines everywhere

They're going forward hoping that Russia kind of forgot to lay the mines past the first defensive positions

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

tatankatonk posted:

lmao what a hall of fame european liberal career. get Finland to join NATO and then resign to work for tony blair

Marin, who stepped down as leader of the Social Democrats after finishing third in April’s election, to resign as MP

Sanna Marin, the former Finnish prime minister, has announced she will work as an adviser for the Tony Blair Institute after stepping down as head of her party.

Marin, who became one of Europe’s youngest leaders when she took office as prime minister in 2019 and oversaw Finland’s successful application to join Nato, formally stepped down as head of the Social Democrats earlier this month. She plans to resign as an MP.

“Time to move on,” she told the Finnish broadcaster Yle as she announced her departure from Finnish politics. “I am eager to step into a new role. I also believe that it can benefit the whole of Finland. I believe that I can serve those voters [in Finland] well and maybe even better in the new assignment.”

The job will include advising countries, governments and leaders on policy issues such as good governance, technology, climate and gender equality, she said.

My Baltic AOC :swoon:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Nonsense posted:

And hes got a plan to evict all the squatters.

Remember vote Biden or his best friends the Nazi Republicans will win

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Nonsense posted:

he's not a hobbit, he's a gnome

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

tatankatonk posted:

My god the finish dream

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
lol i wonder why the EU is moribund and without direction

but this is the end of history so i guess it's actually in it's optimum form

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

What things are made from recycled war materials other than fetishes for a far right political persuasion?

It’s Russian Bronze. Crimea, surely?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The loving temerity of the Yanks ITT to talk poo poo about the VC.

Unbelievable.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Frosted Flake posted:

It’s Russian Bronze. Crimea, surely?

That's probably a myth.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/may/03/show-your-mettle-victoria-cross-not-made-of-captured-russian-guns-after-all

quote:

The current source of Victoria Cross metal is thought to be ... from a gun captured during the second Anglo-Chinese war of 1860, three years after the first Victoria Cross awards were made.

The "second Anglo-Chinese war of 1860" that they're talking about is more commonly known as the Second Opium War. That is indeed some potent symbolism.

BearsBearsBears has issued a correction as of 00:15 on Sep 8, 2023

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Nix Panicus posted:

Historically the Indians invested in dex builds that would have benefitted from no armor so they could just dodge enemy attacks, a thing that is both consistently possible and easy to do

Indian armor looks cool as gently caress

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I agree

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
All the mines are gone and there are no more left, Russia is screwed, RIP.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I think this is what the Chechens have been up to these last few months. Apti Alaudinov who is reportedly the leader of their forces in Ukraine announced back in like May before the counter offensive kicked off that they were tasked with capturing Marinka by Putin himself and it looks like they are now finally starting to see the potential end of that fight...

**correction, reading back it seems like the Chechens were there up till July but were then moved out to another front and replaced by the Russian regular army forces.

https://twitter.com/rybar_force/status/1699856785660584187

It's loving crazy to me that the war and pretty much constant battles has been going on on the front step of Donetsk all this time... It's true that you never hear about Marinka in the news, and yet the Ukrainians have pretty much constantly been shelling Donetsk from the high ground behind Marinka and the Russians / DPR have been trying to push them out of there since 2014..

Starsfan has issued a correction as of 21:36 on Sep 7, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Резидент posted:

We wrote that the President's Office is preparing an increase in the military tax, there is no money for this year, in 2024 the situation will become critical.
In the state budget Ukraine lacks 250 billion hryvnias for payments to the military by the end of the year, Rustem Umerov said from the rostrum of the Verkhovna Rada during his appointment to the post of Defense Minister.

The transcript of the meeting is published on the parliament's website.

In this regard, the Ministry of Defense will ask the Rada to amend the state budget for 2023, increasing the cost of payments to military personnel by UAH 251 billion.

Of these, 227 billion will be used for monetary allowances for October-December, and another 24 billion for one—time monetary assistance.

https://t.me/MediaKiller2021/9301
(from t.me/rezident_ua/19557, via tgsa)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I have no money and I must spend.

I have no economy and I must tax.

I have no mouth and I must beg.

Spend. Spend. Spend.

You know what I kind of get why Allied Mastercomputer destroyed humanity.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 21:57 on Sep 7, 2023

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
There's been a lot of weird and dumb propaganda in this war but the video of Blinken and Ukraine's Foreign Minister having a sit-down talk over McDonald's fries to talk about McDonald's in Kyiv is loving me up. Were they a corporate sponsor of the trip?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqb2CioLFt8

Also the manager doing this pose for the entire shot she's in:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Well they did try cutting combat pay for some of the guys, but I think they got some pushback on that one.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Wall Street will never forgive Russia for reopening those Western fast food franchises with local ownership and slightly different branding

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Regarde Aduck posted:

he's a tiny hobbit man

so was frodo, bitch

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Showing up for battle in the mail my grandma made for me.

(She's a pretty cool grandma and even my enemies think it looks good)

(It really is cool I just think it has a hand knitted look)

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

This isn't really a bottleneck for Ukraine since the US will foot the bill

Ukraine will pay it back eventually via structural adjustment programs

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

It's really cool to see the whole "Is depleted uranium a health risk?" poo poo relitigated all over again, because Ukraine must be morally unassailable. There's like a bunch of fairly reasonable cost/benefit arguments you could make, but no, it's not conclusively proven* that ingesting or inhaling or putting a heavy metal in the water will gently caress you up, only the name ☢️ is controversial. Right back to the Iraq War, "BuT iT's NoT RaDiOaCtIvE :rolleyes:".

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

text editor posted:

There's been a lot of weird and dumb propaganda in this war but the video of Blinken and Ukraine's Foreign Minister having a sit-down talk over McDonald's fries to talk about McDonald's in Kyiv is loving me up. Were they a corporate sponsor of the trip?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqb2CioLFt8

Also the manager doing this pose for the entire shot she's in:

mcdonalds fries are pretty good imo

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Adenoid Dan posted:

Showing up for battle in the mail my grandma made for me.

(She's a pretty cool grandma and even my enemies think it looks good)

(It really is cool I just think it has a hand knitted look)

it totally does lol, i think its the draping bit on the shoulder that looks like a shawl or smth, honestly really neat how much they made the mail resemble fibrous fabrics there, and with the veil and around the shinguards

probably looks terrifying moving around with a person wearing it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYt0khR_ej0

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
You fools, depleted uranium is only one of many heavy metals and toxic substances we are salting the earth with.

You even gave it the wrong mechanism of toxicity (chortle chortle)

(Several decades earlier)

You fools, 2,4-D and 2,4,5-T aren't toxic, there were merely manufacturing impurities (snicker snicker)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ukraine running into trouble clearing belts of forest would seemingly result in Agent Orange and the other Dupont defoliants being rehabilitated.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Dixon Chisholm posted:

so was frodo, bitch

i realised my mistake and changed him to gnome :(

don't think there's any coming back from that mistake tbh, i've given him power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Has Ukraine actually made progress breaking the defenses or are they still getting shredded?