Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

jeffreyw posted:

I remember him having the audacity to claim he wasn’t offering a warranty because it meant his company would be legally bound to honour it. Which meant his family would be on the hook to honour the warranty of his products if he passes away overnight.
Assuming that's accurate, even he can't be so dense as to not know what being incorporated does for liability.

And assuming he isn't, he assumes people interested in buying his poo poo and listen to him vomit nonsense like that are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

jeffreyw posted:

In all seriousness, Linus’ actual position isn’t really consistent. The only consistent thing is that every justification he comes up with is a huge self-report.

I remember him having the audacity to claim he wasn’t offering a warranty because it meant his company would be legally bound to honour it. Which meant his family would be on the hook to honour the warranty of his products if he passes away overnight.

Basically, he’s making up poo poo to justify his desire to sell his products ‘as-is’.

The actual reasoning was an even more insane extension of this. He either explained it on his podcast or over Twitter/forums.

Basically, the argument that he didn't want a warranty because it meant the company would be on the hook for however many years was just the start of it (that's fine and normal and companies price that in to their decisions around warranties).

Which also meant that yes, if, he passed away overnight, his family would be on the hook (I think we're all on the same page that this isn't true and keeping your company in the family is a choice).

But then the best bit, which I genuinely love, was that he couldn't in good conscience offer a warranty, because if you put all that together it would mean his grieving widow would be forced by her commitment to honour lifetime warranties to drag herself into a company named for her recently deceased husband and emblazoned with imagery of his face, an environment in which wherever she turned she would be visually reminded of the grief of losing him. Linus couldn't in good conscience do such a terrible thing to his wife, and so he chose not to include a warranty, presumably freeing Yvonne from the yoke of Linus Tech Tips and giving her the option to go and join a convent or something in the event of his death.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

slidebite posted:

Assuming that's accurate, even he can't be so dense as to not know what being incorporated does for liability.

And assuming he isn't, he assumes people interested in buying his poo poo and listen to him vomit nonsense like that are.

The only inaccurate thing I mentioned was the financial burden. I’ve found the video and timestamped his response to being asked about the warranty situation. The only way it makes any sense is if he is desperately trying to find a reason to not offer a warranty because it’s an absolutely insane response.

https://youtu.be/lbjWRvzL-o0?t=4240

The Grumbles posted:

Post explaining how backpack warranties will shovel emotional burden onto Yvonne

Yep, it’s from the above WAN Show episode.

It really is as insane as you describe it.

jeffreyw fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 7, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Grumbles posted:

But then the best bit, which I genuinely love, was that he couldn't in good conscience offer a warranty, because if you put all that together it would mean his grieving widow would be forced by her commitment to honour lifetime warranties to drag herself into a company named for her recently deceased husband and emblazoned with imagery of his face, an environment in which wherever she turned she would be visually reminded of the grief of losing him. Linus couldn't in good conscience do such a terrible thing to his wife, and so he chose not to include a warranty, presumably freeing Yvonne from the yoke of Linus Tech Tips and giving her the option to go and join a convent or something in the event of his death.

maybe creating a company in your own image and likeness is the problem

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Sydney Bottocks posted:

B)it's prudent to assume that the company that lied about poo poo is probably lying about other poo poo as well.

no, it's actually not. there's more than enough obvious, visible evidence of lmg being a loving clownshow. you don't have to make poo poo up.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

maybe creating a company in your own image and likeness is the problem

Or like....make an LLC? It's almost as if there are thousands of laws to address the exact worry he had?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Or like....make an LLC? It's almost as if there are thousands of laws to address the exact worry he had?

Canada doesn't allow LLCs. We have Limited Liability Partnerships, which I think are similar but functionally different.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Randalor posted:

Really, the person who named the company after himself, and who he shares part ownership with his wife, has trouble differentiating between his personal life and his work life?

shocking, i know

absolutely flabbergasting

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Randalor posted:

Canada doesn't allow LLCs. We have Limited Liability Partnerships, which I think are similar but functionally different.

Ah good call. Looks like they would have to make a corporation if they wanted limited liability under Canadian law. But shockingly, I don't know Canadian business law.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

We can't possibly factor expected warranty replacement costs into the price of our currently $250 backpack because it will be too expensive

Besides, my grieving wife will be too busy mopping up leaky water-cooling loops in my techno Franken-mansion to personally administer all the warranty claims

Have a heart, you guys

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Ah good call. Looks like they would have to make a corporation if they wanted limited liability under Canadian law. But shockingly, I don't know Canadian business law.

From an outsiders prospective, neither does Linus.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

no, it's actually not. there's more than enough obvious, visible evidence of lmg being a loving clownshow. you don't have to make poo poo up.

making poo poo up also tends to make others not believe you when you talk about things that did actually happen

it's loving stupid to just dogpile onto an already bad situation with unsubstantiated rumors just so you can get yourself even more mad at something. there's plenty to be mad about as it is

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I heard Linus paid Shipon to defend him and his lovely business on the forums.

imHitchens
Oct 24, 2012

harlequin macaw

Linus has spent a lot of time and effort making GBS threads on the comcept of wish or even aliexpress.

If the views on Temu were positive OH I WONDER what could have changed his mind

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Inb4 Linus says he didn't, and then a video leaked six months prior comes back around where he directly says he did.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I haven't seen the Temu build video, does it wind up a stealth ad for Temu?

Duquoc
Jul 3, 2023

A good poster posted:

I haven't seen the Temu build video, does it wind up a stealth ad for Temu?

Not really. He gives a little halfhearted praise to a webcam and some speakers that sound "like crap but better than he expected." The only item he gives any unconditional praise to is a desk pad that he likes the cats in space design of. He ends the video by calling the purchases mostly junk and comparing it to the same level of quality as Wish.com

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

....wait, the Uchuu no Stellavia character?

edit: Oh, there's a logistics company called SHIPon now.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 8, 2023

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

If you like to gently caress around with old enterprise servers and hardware from the turn of the century, here's a small-ish channel I've been seeing a lot of recently that seems good. https://www.youtube.com/@clabretro

The latest video from today is him poking at some old donated Sun Fire V440s and playing around with the old J2EE web application server stack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lktNXmVv6gc

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
The fun part about Linus trend chasing and rushing to put out his Temu computer video is shortly after it went up, there were laptops, mini pcs, gpus, motherboards & processors for sale, in addition to the ram, case & ssds, he'd already found.

Not necessarily compatible processors and motherboards (LGA2011 vs. LGA1700), but again, bitten by rushing.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

....wait, the Uchuu no Stellavia character?

wow that's the first time since i started posting here 18 years ago anyone's gotten the reference

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
God this takes me back; in my first real job like, 20+ years ago I had used a Sun E450 as a chair in a pinch after switching offices and realizing our furniture was gonna be late (don't feel too bad since it was already obsolete by then)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This is more of a general computing question: are there versions of Bluetooth like there are versions of wifi?

If yes, what does Bluetooth n+1 get you? More bandwidth? More range? For that matter, what IS the effective data bandwidth of Bluetooth?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is more of a general computing question: are there versions of Bluetooth like there are versions of wifi?

If yes, what does Bluetooth n+1 get you? More bandwidth? More range? For that matter, what IS the effective data bandwidth of Bluetooth?

For most people the newer versions of Bluetooth are useful because they bring Bluetooth Low Energy. A generally more efficient and less battery consuming protocol vs classic Bluetooth. It was introduced as part of BT 4.0.

Edit: Beyond that the newer versions have support for newer better audio codecs.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Did any more Linus/Steve deep fakes get made after the Zoolander and Boys ones?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

gradenko_2000 posted:

Bluetooth 4.x - we finally get bluetooth low energy which means less power consumption. Max bandwidth is like 256kbps

Bluetooth 5 - better low energy efficiency, faster speed so Max bandwidth is like 2mbps now.

Bluetooth 5.2 - even better energy efficiency with support for a new super efficient audio codec made for hearing aids, and you can connect multiple sets of earbuds to your phone now.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Bluetooth 2.0 was the shizniz.

Before 2.0, bluetooth was seriously unusable.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
They still haven't managed to figure out how to make a bluetooth earpiece that doesn't sound like you're yelling through a DynaTAC, even in the era where you can get realtime radio DJ quality voice through a 64 kbps Opus channel.

God bluetooth loving sucks.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Strong agree, we have multi gig wifi but Bluetooth can’t do 1.411 megabits of cd audio. Somebody needs to make a low power wireless standard with like 3 megabits as a design requirement and we can dump all the encoders and decoders and the latency they add.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The problem with mic quality is to maintain backwards compatibility with the 'headset' connection profile (AKA: Calls) the bitrate has to be cripplingly low, and codec support is also limited. Basically no one on the standard had the foresight to imagine people would want to record voices at better quality than the mobiles can even transmit to a tower with, because why would you?

For music we have LDAC that runs at 660kbs with solid enough range, or 990kbs with "on your person" range and that's absolutely fine already. I'd much prefer the bandwidth for RAW WAX audio as this would eliminate BT delay, but if you're just using them for music you are not hearing the difference between 660-990kbs codecs and the source.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Nobody in here made up anything. Some other poster came in raging about redditors saying stuff that may or may not be true, and some of us went "it's entirely possible Linus, who lied about something before, has lied about this as well". To which the OP then fervently swore up and down that while yes, Linus has been recently shown to be an unethical liar about quite a few things, on this he is definitely being 100% honest, rest assured.

Again, nobody in here made the initial claim, most of us are just saying we wouldn't be shocked if it does in fact turn out to be true. I don't know why this seems to be such a sore point with people.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

waffle iron posted:

Edit: Beyond that the newer versions have support for newer better audio codecs.
Yeah we might finally have universal support for non-garbage low-latency audio in bluetooth.

Various nice codecs exist but support has been so scattershot.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Nobody in here made up anything. Some other poster came in raging about redditors saying stuff that may or may not be true, and some of us went "it's entirely possible Linus, who lied about something before, has lied about this as well". To which the OP then fervently swore up and down that while yes, Linus has been recently shown to be an unethical liar about quite a few things, on this he is definitely being 100% honest, rest assured.

Again, nobody in here made the initial claim, most of us are just saying we wouldn't be shocked if it does in fact turn out to be true. I don't know why this seems to be such a sore point with people.
There's a lot of things he could be lying about, so it's not very helpful to pick ones at random.

It's not just "wouldn't be shocked", your wording was "I can't fathom why anyone would give Linus the benefit of the doubt for even a nanosecond". Which implies it's dumb to think he's telling the truth about anything. That's going a bit too far.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Dylan16807 posted:

There's a lot of things he could be lying about, so it's not very helpful to pick ones at random.

It's not just "wouldn't be shocked", your wording was "I can't fathom why anyone would give Linus the benefit of the doubt for even a nanosecond". Which implies it's dumb to think he's telling the truth about anything. That's going a bit too far.

Given recent events that show just how dishonest and unethical Linus and some of the other higher-ups in his company are? Yes, I do think it's rather dumb to assume he's telling the truth about anything at this point in time, at least until there are actual facts to show that he is. It's on LMG to regain people's trust, we're not obligated to assume they're telling the truth about something until proven otherwise.

And again, I will wearily point out for the final time that none of this "picking stuff at random" originated ITT. It started on reddit, go yell at them for making poo poo up (and also the one goon for dragging it in here in the first place, and then getting mad when people didn't immediately 100% agree with them).

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It's on LMG to regain people's trust, we're not obligated to assume they're telling the truth about something until proven otherwise.

You're laying it on too thick. Space it out a bit.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

linus is the zodiac killer

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

That's impossible! There's no way Linus would have kept his name out of his letters to the police.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Inept posted:

linus is the zodiac killer

Ted Cruz is a heinous person, but he doesn't deserve to be compared to Linus.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Ted Cruz would never sexually harass a woman other than his mother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Given recent events that show just how dishonest and unethical Linus and some of the other higher-ups in his company are? Yes, I do think it's rather dumb to assume he's telling the truth about anything at this point in time, at least until there are actual facts to show that he is. It's on LMG to regain people's trust, we're not obligated to assume they're telling the truth about something until proven otherwise.

And again, I will wearily point out for the final time that none of this "picking stuff at random" originated ITT. It started on reddit, go yell at them for making poo poo up (and also the one goon for dragging it in here in the first place, and then getting mad when people didn't immediately 100% agree with them).

lmao