Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I’d spend more time creating great things for the apple ecosystem if xcode wasn’t so sluggish and the debugging experience was as good as I have it in “.NET and webpages”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
the phrase "carpetbaggers" is load bearing here

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
a lot of people write software purely so that they can make money by doing so, preferably quickly, and don't actually care much about any other qualities of the process or the end result besides that. the same is true of like webapp or nodejs development or whatever. that's hardly anything unique to apple but mr fanboy over here makes a big deal of falling over onto his fainting couch about it, that's why everybody is laughing at his post.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

tef posted:

the phrase "carpetbaggers" is load bearing here

unwashed career devs exploiting the fertile land of apple without giving anything back (besides 30%)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

rjmccall posted:

making swift be a managed environment would force it to interact pervasively with a non-managed environment, which tends to be both error-prone and a major performance limiter.

the real fun is tying two managed environments together, such that their GCs don’t create mutual cycles and you can survive things like copying collection. I’m embarrassed to admit that I let some very smart people spend a bunch of time tilting at that windmill when we thought our browser was going to host more managed runtimes than just JS

just supporting moving GC is a lot of overhead via handles and indirect loads and stuff and makes interoperability with other environments awkward. I love GC but it really has to be the whole world. Apple should have shipped a handheld Lisp Machine

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sapozhnik posted:

a lot of people write software purely so that they can make money by doing so, preferably quickly, and don't actually care much about any other qualities of the process or the end result besides that.

yeah, you have to make the desired thing the easiest thing, and be known to be the easiest thing, or you’re just fighting entropy

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
tbf shipping a mobile platform built around an unmanaged gui toolkit and an unmanaged language with some basic ownership-management machinery was a much better call than shipping an entire runtime environment built on top of a not-JVM

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

tbf shipping a mobile platform built around an unmanaged gui toolkit and an unmanaged language with some basic ownership-management machinery was a much better call than shipping an entire runtime environment built on top of a not-JVM

windows phone ran just fine with a managed language. android is/was just badly put together.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
sorry i'm not doing a bad faith reading but you guys can keep going off on one about those poor fart app authors

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

i don't think it necessarily was a better idea, if it wasn't for them already having almost the entire thing built and ready. had it been from scratch in 2006 i think a good effort at a managed environment would have turned out even better.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Subjunctive posted:

the real fun is tying two managed environments together, such that their GCs don’t create mutual cycles and you can survive things like copying collection. I’m embarrassed to admit that I let some very smart people spend a bunch of time tilting at that windmill when we thought our browser was going to host more managed runtimes than just JS

just supporting moving GC is a lot of overhead via handles and indirect loads and stuff and makes interoperability with other environments awkward. I love GC but it really has to be the whole world. Apple should have shipped a handheld Lisp Machine

i asked because apple do ship a really well thought out conservative non moving collector for webkit

edit: and yeah there's a reason people just use refcounting when dealing with cross heap objects

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

akadajet posted:

unwashed career devs exploiting the fertile land of apple without giving anything back (besides 30%)

fitting, as apple has been increasingly retreating into their own walled-off software ecosystem. if you told someone 20 years ago that microsoft of all companies would be a better contributor to the software ecosystem than apple, you would have been laughed out of the room. now you have apple increasingly doing their own thing, which is often incompatible with everyone else, and doing things like grabbing open source projects for their own use and throwing the minimum back over the fence. their "game porting kit" is just a bunch of forked projects like wine, dxvk, and faudio, with apple throwing back only the minimum required to comply with the licenses

it will probably bit-rot soon enough though, as it seems to be intended for developers to port vr games to their $3500 goggles that nobody is going to buy

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

akadajet posted:

windows phone ran just fine with a managed language. android is/was just badly put together.

See also webOS

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The_Franz posted:

doing things like grabbing open source projects for their own use and throwing the minimum back over the fence. their "game porting kit" is just a bunch of forked projects like wine, dxvk, and faudio, with apple throwing back only the minimum required to comply with the licenses

boo hoo, pick a different license for your stuff if you don’t want people to use it according to the license terms. open source is about the legal rights and requirements that stem from the copyright holder’s choices about copying, it’s not about everyone sitting a tent and singing together

did they use something of yours in a way you didn’t like?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Subjunctive posted:

boo hoo, pick a different license for your stuff if you don’t want people to use it according to the license terms
in general i would consider this fair enough

but it's not as if a corporate entity like apple can't use some of the multiple billions in profit to contribute back a little more, maybe?

yes, it's legal, but it's also a bit lovely

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

boo hoo, pick a different license for your stuff if you don’t want people to use it according to the license terms. open source is about the legal rights and requirements that stem from the copyright holder’s choices about copying, it’s not about everyone sitting a tent and singing together

did they use something of yours in a way you didn’t like?
the accusation is that they're walling things off and half-assing compatibility

it's not a complaint about whether they're following the spirit of the license

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

writing open source software and not getting paid for it makes you a sucker, imo

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
art can exist for its own sake without a profit motive

the trick is to write open-source software that does not have commercial value

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i accept that using an open source project has some social obligations and not just the legal ones, but there’s always a pool of people griping about companies only doing “the minimum” because really what they want is someone else to implement/maintain their pet feature, and that is just a misunderstanding of how anything works. you don’t get to dictate other people’s priorities

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sagacity posted:

in general i would consider this fair enough

but it's not as if a corporate entity like apple can't use some of the multiple billions in profit to contribute back a little more, maybe?

yes, it's legal, but it's also a bit lovely

they could do any number of charitable things. I wish they’d build affordable housing, too

Dylan16807 posted:

it's not a complaint about whether they're following the spirit of the license

I think it’s exactly a complaint about that to which I was responding:

The_Franz posted:

apple throwing back only the minimum required to comply with the licenses

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

rjmccall posted:

i accept that using an open source project has some social obligations and not just the legal ones, but there’s always a pool of people griping about companies only doing “the minimum” because really what they want is someone else to implement/maintain their pet feature, and that is just a misunderstanding of how anything works. you don’t get to dictate other people’s priorities

and if a company comes in with big contributions, they’re looked at as “taking over”, often because they can move faster than part-time volunteers

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

they could do any number of charitable things. I wish they’d build affordable housing, too
im not sure I agree with you a hundred percent on your analogies there lou

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
e.g. amd is contributing a mess of gpu offloading features to clang, because that’s their priority, that’s what they’re trying to do. i can tell them as a code owner that something they’re trying to implement doesn’t fit in with the infrastructure very well right now, or it’s duplicative with some existing we did for some other feature, and i’d like them to do some refactoring in order to land their patch. but i can’t tell them to, like, implement c99 _Imaginary types because that’s the price of contributing to the project; that would just be me being a lovely code owner abusing my power as gatekeeper to get other people to do my personal priorities

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 7, 2023

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
governance matters though

As much as people make fun of Rust drama, it's a lot better than Swift. Because for all the lack of community "drama" (er, I assume), it'll forever be an Apple-only language for Apple products and nothing else, because everyone implicitly understands that Swift will serve Apple and that's it.

Which is a shame because it looks like a really well-designed and impressive language.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Swift’s language-design governance is great, but it’s also better-staffed than Rust in that area, so they can afford some more investment

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
there’s plenty of room in the swift tent for doing things that apple isn’t interested in or isn’t treating as a current priority. but it is always going to be an apple-led project, and i can understand why people have feelings about that

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
I attended a presentation a few years ago from someone from IBM who tried to convince us that swift would work very well as a backend server language

haven't heard anything about that since though

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

rjmccall posted:

hey, my c++now talk got posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgivCGdmFrw

watch as i struggle to contain my annoyance when the mic breaks like three times
please do (or link) more talks, all the ones ive seen are great (especially the WWDC ones from a few years ago)

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Sagacity posted:

I attended a presentation a few years ago from someone from IBM who tried to convince us that swift would work very well as a backend server language

Seems at least as good as go.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Sagacity posted:

the most dangerous place to be in tech is between ibm and a marketing opportunity. it’s amazing how innovative that company can be without ever doing much of worth

anyway, there’s a bunch of people doing things with swift on server on the swift forums, i assume it’s fairly workable

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

Swift’s language-design governance is great

:blush:

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
there were definitely a lot of people who thought that swift being open source and accepting external contributions to both design and implementation meant that apple was going to invest heavily in making swift better for non-apple uses, and that was a pretty silly assumption. i think some people also got the impression that ibm was pushed away rather than ibm's involvement being a typical completely fake ibm thing from the beginning.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

in other news, you might ask what over-the-hill plang enjoyers are up to

because lol at dhh once again not understanding why type systems are good https://world.hey.com/dhh/turbo-8-is-dropping-typescript-70165c01

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
rails is the absolute antithesis of static typing so it was very unsurprising to learn that he hates typescript. how they went about ripping out typescript was very funny though.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Dijkstracula posted:

in other news, you might ask what over-the-hill plang enjoyers are up to

because lol at dhh once again not understanding why type systems are good https://world.hey.com/dhh/turbo-8-is-dropping-typescript-70165c01

what is turbo 8?

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Wheany posted:

what is turbo 8?

probably some dumb web poo poo no one cares about full of bad ideas and apparently no types

Grum
May 7, 2007
rails is omakase

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

rjmccall posted:

hey, my c++now talk got posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgivCGdmFrw

watch as i struggle to contain my annoyance when the mic breaks like three times

You look exactly like a guy who is going to talk about C++ for an hour and a half should look like. :allears:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

DHH is the clown prince of programming bloggers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

it took me some digging to even find it because it's got so little mindshare.

Sweeper posted:

probably some dumb web poo poo no one cares about full of bad ideas and apparently no types

ya nailed it

quote:

Turbo uses complementary techniques to dramatically reduce the amount of custom JavaScript that most web applications will need to write:

Turbo Drive accelerates links and form submissions by negating the need for full page reloads.
Turbo Frames decompose pages into independent contexts, which scope navigation and can be lazily loaded.
Turbo Streams deliver page changes over WebSocket, SSE or in response to form submissions using just HTML and a set of CRUD-like actions.
Turbo Native lets your majestic monolith form the center of your native iOS and Android apps, with seamless transitions between web and native sections.
It's all done by sending HTML over the wire. And for those instances when that's not enough, you can reach for the other side of Hotwire, and finish the job with Stimulus.