Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

loquacius posted:

Starfield apparently doesn't run well on Steam Deck and BG3 is just ok on it; we've already reached the point where AAA releases are outstripping its capabilities. Switch 2 is well positioned imo even as a Deck enthusiast

The built-in streaming service is buggy too; I had to reinstall every game on the internal hard drive after it froze when I tried to quit which seems pretty bad!

Have you tried Moonlight? That ran games flawlessly for me (streamed from my PC over wifi), while the Steam streaming sucked. It's surreal to play a game like FF15 with smooth 60fps on a handheld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Why is every fromsoft game about the player committing genocide?

pink noise
Jun 24, 2022
when i was first walking around new atlantis a couple npc's said "you know you dont need your helmet here, right?" so i took it off and immediately got "your suit is protecting you / your suit protection is running out!" pretty sure it was a bug but i never remove my helmet just in case

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

From understands gamers

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Ben Nerevarine posted:

same, I’m searching around right now for a planet and place where I can temporarily dump all my contraband stuff for a later pickup

I will inevitably forget all about it

If you can get to the Wolf system without getting scanned you can sell to the Trade Authority dude on the Den

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

most of them are actually about killing god and either replacing the old god or freeing everyone from an endless cycle of rebirth and suffering. i think some of the other armored cores end with genocide as well but I've only played 6
so maybe it's just the robot games that all end in genocide

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

pink noise posted:

when i was first walking around new atlantis a couple npc's said "you know you dont need your helmet here, right?" so i took it off and immediately got "your suit is protecting you / your suit protection is running out!" pretty sure it was a bug but i never remove my helmet just in case

did covid thread make this game?

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

blowing up planets isn’t genocide though. it would be genocide if you put all humans in residential schools and made them speak klingon or w/e though. kill the human, save the sentient and all that

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Have you tried Moonlight? That ran games flawlessly for me (streamed from my PC over wifi), while the Steam streaming sucked. It's surreal to play a game like FF15 with smooth 60fps on a handheld.

I don't think it works if you have an AMD card on your pc

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Hatebag posted:

most of them are actually about killing god and either replacing the old god or freeing everyone from an endless cycle of rebirth and suffering. i think some of the other armored cores end with genocide as well but I've only played 6
so maybe it's just the robot games that all end in genocide

it's a robot game tradition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_RYTLF_yR0

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

pink noise posted:

Is there any non-tedious way to unequip stuff like that?

Also, is there any way to unequip your weapon so I can switch to punching without tediously navigating menus and unequipping my weapon?

Very bizarre that they didn't just make it work like "selecting the weapon you're already using (or just an empty slot) in the quick menu unequips it." Or that no one mentioned this when playtesting unarmed.

loquacius posted:

I don't think it works if you have an AMD card on your pc

Oh that's right, it wouldn't since it relies on the GeForce Experience streaming thing.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

visiting Earth was interesting, they made you park far away so you can take in the sights and dwell upon our planets fate but then you end up going down into a 30 story basement in Florida where it seems they treat rocks as water in some places, just flowed into rooms.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

turn off the TV posted:

there's no reason to think that it happens in 2 or 3 since the second is so open ended and the third ends with 621 still hearing Ayre through their augments

for the 3rd ending, there was plenty of dialog suggesting that humanity as we know it would collapse. coral release would mean coral enters the vacuum of space and infinitely reproduces and takes over the galaxy or some poo poo. i think this means humanity’s collective consciousness gets sucked into the coral flow or whatever

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Lpzie posted:

visiting Earth was interesting, they made you park far away so you can take in the sights and dwell upon our planets fate but then you end up going down into a 30 story basement in Florida where it seems they treat rocks as water in some places, just flowed into rooms.

Florida, famously known for their basements

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

punished milkman posted:

for the 3rd ending, there was plenty of dialog suggesting that humanity as we know it would collapse. coral release would mean coral enters the vacuum of space and infinitely reproduces and takes over the galaxy or some poo poo. i think this means humanity’s collective consciousness gets sucked into the coral flow or whatever

Ah, the evangelion ending.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Al! posted:

i guess theres no eva in starfield otherwise id recreate the famous astronaut meme

you can just do it on the moon.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

loquacius posted:

Starfield apparently doesn't run well on Steam Deck and BG3 is just ok on it; we've already reached the point where AAA releases are outstripping its capabilities. Switch 2 is well positioned imo even as a Deck enthusiast

The built-in streaming service is buggy too; I had to reinstall every game on the internal hard drive after it froze when I tried to quit which seems pretty bad!

ledditors on r/steamdeck managed to get starfield playable on deck. gaming publications manage to take an L.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Mr Hootington posted:

its their fetish.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

it makes sense that they all have a potential genocide ending. if you're gonna up the stakes in a game where all you do is kill kill kill you can either kill even more on a planetary scale or stop someone else from doing genocide (by killing).
i suppose there could also be a transcendent type ending where you alter some fundamental aspect of reality or bridge a connection between species/various sapient beings. and that's kinda what 2 of the ac6 endings are

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
its time to reboot metal wolf chaos

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ben Nerevarine posted:

same, I’m searching around right now for a planet and place where I can temporarily dump all my contraband stuff for a later pickup

So I made an outpost on Kreet, made a crate under the furniture category and just stash it there.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ben Nerevarine posted:

the Den in the wolf system has no contraband scans and a trade authority guy who will buy it, enjoy

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

punished milkman posted:

the "coral collapse" is the coral being able to become dense enough in a vacuum that it forms a singularity and starts reproducing at a basically infinite rate. all of the dialogue in the game makes it sound like this will result in it enveloping the universe and everyone being killed or absorbed by it yea.

but also the ending shows a bunch of ACs that are physically intact instead of completely corroded by a giant coral explosion, there's no coral visible in the atmosphere at all and Ayre still produces a ringing sound when she talks, which is caused by gen 4 augments being exposed to waves like her. none of that really lines up with what any of the characters were talking.

the same notes and stuff that talk about a coral collapse also pretty much all mention coral mutation and that the rate of mutation is correlated to its density, with it increasingly changing as it grows increasingly dense. i assume that's supposed to explain why the coral release doesn't play out the way it was described and why ayre has some insane speech about evolution. or they forgot to change ayre's voice filter, but with how much the NG++ storyline draws attention to the ringing it seems like a really weird thing to just ignore for the end.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

wait the 4th and 5th game revolve around something called kojima particles that're poisoning the earth???

quote:

Since much of the world's surface was polluted to inhospitable levels by hazardous Kojima Particles dispersed during the LYNX War,

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the spiritual successor to the hitler particle

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Al! posted:

wait the 4th and 5th game revolve around something called kojima particles that're poisoning the earth???

yea

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

bold to call out a fellow designer like that

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
thanks for the Den recs. I forgot about that place because I expected a place called The Den to be more than a closet infirmary and a Starbucks

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Genocide, the ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner: Robots.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

thanks for the Den recs. I forgot about that place because I expected a place called The Den to be more than a closet infirmary and a Starbucks

:bethesda:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Assault armor is just an outward explosion of Kojima particles, so presumably they exist in the new game too and nobody just gives a poo poo about it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

baulder's gate 3 is absolutely lousy with kojima particles, particularly the romance stuff

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Lostconfused posted:

Assault armor is just an outward explosion of Kojima particles, so presumably they exist in the new game too and nobody just gives a poo poo about it.

assault armor in 6 is made out of high frequency oscillations which is what the bubble guns shoot somehow for some reason

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

High frequency oscillation of what?

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Lostconfused posted:

luminiferous aether

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Lostconfused posted:

quote:

Rapid-fire pulse gun developed by Takigawa Harmonics. Destroys targets with sustained high-frequency oscillation, making it especially suited for canceling out pulse defenses, which use the same technology.

i guess sound waves?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

There is a button in the menu in Starfield that automatically hides the space suit when you aren't in a deadly environment.

Not sure why you'd ever unequip a space suit because it gives you an insane amount of stats compared to regular clothes.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

i guess sound waves?
That's just rephrasing the original statement.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

so the shields are made outta sound waves? that doesn't make a lick of sense

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Lostconfused posted:

That's just rephrasing the original statement.

sound waves would imply air

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The shields are made out of stuff, it is not explained what stuff they are made out of. Let your imagination run wild.