Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Meskhenet posted:

Ive been last man standing at demios ! and got the kill

carried by saul 😔

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Saraiguma posted:

carried by saul 😔

You better call Saul! :v:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

New expansion confirmed: Guild Wars 2,3- dimethyl methamphetamine.

Contains new crafting disciplines and southwest desert themed maps.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

for all the story's flaws i appreciate that the post-core dragon arc story is bookended with the gays winning

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

for all the story's flaws i appreciate that the post-core dragon arc story is bookended with the gays winning

All I remember of these two is Barbie Kasmeer giggling to the boys in the audience that she’s always nude and Marjorie having a detective agency for all of thirty seconds.

Also I think one of their relatives got their soul stuck in a sword and it made Marjorie a Reaper.

I haven’t gotten to EOD yet, but frankly I wrote the pair off as raw tokenism somewhere in LWS3.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

Kasmeer and Marjorie saying gently caress it and riding off into their gay sunset together is pretty dope.

That information was given to the player on Marjorie’s voicemail when you call on the comms device. Was there somewhere else in the story that explains their ending that I missed or am forgetting? Also something to be said when we are celebrating characters that nope the gently caress out of this story arc lmao. Is it really that bad? Are we victims of sunken cost fallacy? :ohdear:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

kung fu jive posted:

Kasmeer and Marjorie saying gently caress it and riding off into their gay sunset together is pretty dope.

That information was given to the player on Marjorie’s voicemail when you call on the comms device. Was there somewhere else in the story that explains their ending that I missed or am forgetting? Also something to be said when we are celebrating characters that nope the gently caress out of this story arc lmao. Is it really that bad? Are we victims of sunken cost fallacy? :ohdear:

i mean they just had their gay wedding so getting a plot break for a gay honeymoon isn't out of the question, and it's not like many others come with us to the horn of maguuma, it's mostly a zojja thing

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

boho posted:

All I remember of these two is Barbie Kasmeer giggling to the boys in the audience that she’s always nude and Marjorie having a detective agency for all of thirty seconds.

Also I think one of their relatives got their soul stuck in a sword and it made Marjorie a Reaper.

I haven’t gotten to EOD yet, but frankly I wrote the pair off as raw tokenism somewhere in LWS3.

people forget this but they had their big kiss over a year before obergfell, it was a big deal! say what you will about anet but that was def a stance narratively

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Saraiguma posted:

people forget this but they had their big kiss over a year before obergfell, it was a big deal! say what you will about anet but that was def a stance narratively

Yeah I (a sapphic, playing this with my girlfriend) did not get the vibe that they were tokenized. There is A LOT of queerness in this game; Kas and Jory are far from the only ones, and the only real asspull I saw was that Kas didn't get the hiccups when she asked Jory to marry her.

Aside from that, over ten years, they avoided most of the bullshit I associate with sapphic couples being trotted out for the sake of publicity, 'welp one of them is dead now' being among them.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 7, 2023

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
There was also at least one explicit trans character at least as early as the Lion's Arch rebuild.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Rand Brittain posted:

There was also at least one explicit trans character at least as early as the Lion's Arch rebuild.

This, Yao in EOD, etc. There's a ton of examples. Hell, you can not-at-all-cringingly hit on (and be hit on by) Anise in the human personal story when playing a woman. I'm not sure if this is true if you're playing a man as I've never played one, but if so: good for her, more spooky bisexuals please.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 7, 2023

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Old Boot posted:

'welp one of them is dead now' being among them.

rip faolain, you were a bad bitch and you deserved better

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Oh yeah, I've been playing a variety of ele builds including weaver builds. Condi weaver... is confirmed very John loving Madden and it owns bones. I love it. (I'm using the Snowcrows build) I went to the training area in Lion's Arch until I got the weave self rotation down one time and then said gently caress it and hit the open world. It has been pure chaos ever since and I am here for it. I'm getting close-ish to the ideal rotation but any time there is a repositioning requirement (which happens a lot) it's real easy for everything to go sideways and once the elemental attunement is off the whole rotation goes out the window. The core loop is easy and I fall back on that a lot. My emergency, health is low, oh poo poo procedure is to full attune water, hit all the buttons and then start rolling my face on the keyboard and pray to Signet of Restoration and all the gods to pull me through. The floor on this build is high but the output feels good to me. I'm rotating between this, the hammer weaver that was posted earlier (fun stuff), and I still have celestial tempest in my third build template slot. I'm looking to replace the latter with a WvW build eventually that I will shameless take from someone who lives in that game mode. Ele is a fun break from Mesmer, though I will eventually come back to try Chrono. I've also heard things about ambush Mirage in PvP that I might need to give a look at.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Bring back dual classes, ANet! Where is my Necro/Mesmer? :argh:

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

FlapYoJacks posted:

Brahm being a horrible whiny asshat for 3 seasons and then suddenly it’s all better because he said sorry is awful feeling. You as a commander should have told him to gently caress off.

Braham’s arc in LWS3 was originally meant to set him up as a future villain/antihero, which ended up not happening because of the foibles of game development. I think in the timeline where that narrative thread was followed up on, he probably would have ended up taking on a role similar to Ryland’s in IBS - so obsessed with slaying Jormag he ends up being the Ice Dragon’s champion

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Braham’s arc in LWS3 was originally meant to set him up as a future villain/antihero, which ended up not happening because of the foibles of game development. I think in the timeline where that narrative thread was followed up on, he probably would have ended up taking on a role similar to Ryland’s in IBS - so obsessed with slaying Jormag he ends up being the Ice Dragon’s champion

an actual mirrored Braham so consumed by heritage and hate and cultural weight that he became primorduss champion and died instead of being mysteriously and uniquely de minionified would have owned and it's sad we didn't get it

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Ryland was also de-minionfied, he just also got killed like ten seconds later for not knowing when to quit.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Malpais Legate posted:

Ryland was also de-minionfied, he just also got killed like ten seconds later for not knowing when to quit.

yeah I meant both of them

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Ryland gets turned white afterwards but Braham returns to his original appearance, which suggests a couple options: 1. the reversion was unique for each of them, 2. elder dragons understand racism, 3. elder dragons don't understand racism and Primordus didn't consider how it would look to have Braham running around covered in a thin layer of soot.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The whole Ryland thing was also weird because it felt like they set up all the beats for "maybe charr communally raising all their children to be soldiers and pretending they don't have any particular interest in their personal kids is bad", only then they forgot about that.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Yeah. Well, the whole end of IBS was a wet fart.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Spellbreaker? More like skull breaker

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Rand Brittain posted:

The whole Ryland thing was also weird because it felt like they set up all the beats for "maybe charr communally raising all their children to be soldiers and pretending they don't have any particular interest in their personal kids is bad", only then they forgot about that.

I wanted to be happy to see the charr actually get a narrative beat, especially since it followed so closely at the heels of what we saw of the Olmakhan, but a) I'd been warned about Icebrood, b) the moment I saw charr Scar and saw what they were proposing as his Very Smart Machinations, I knew I was in for some poo poo. Ryland was clearly someone's special boy, though, given all the hyperfocused attention he got, but sadly for them he came off as a whiny little nihilism dweeb even before the writing in IBS tanked.

The charr as a whole feel like several missed opportunities rolled up into one, though. Multiple times I found myself thinking 'they clearly just wanted to write about werewolves or dog people' just based on how the charr behave. There's nothing about them that speaks to much of anything cat-like, while all the while ANet seems fond of acknowledging that these are, in fact, giant cats with horns.

It's interesting, too, that ANet went out of its way trying to rehab Flame Legion, when it would've made vastly more sense for Flame Legion to align with Primordus. That whole beat feels like it was someone saying 'let's not do the obvious thing and be clever instead,' and the result is just a lot of ??? ??? ???

Anyway I like the charr in theory, I'm still not sure what the heck ANet is trying to do with them beyond 'dogs of war' which-- well. Cool? They're clearly not afraid of making anthro races, why not just make hellhound people if that's what you want to write in the first place?

EDIT: come to think of it, if they'd just swapped aspects of the Norn and Charr, they'd have both made a bit more sense. It's not a stretch to imagine cat people being individualistic hunters interested primarily in their own legends.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 8, 2023

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Ryland gets turned white afterwards but Braham returns to his original appearance, which suggests a couple options: 1. the reversion was unique for each of them, 2. elder dragons understand racism, 3. elder dragons don't understand racism and Primordus didn't consider how it would look to have Braham running around covered in a thin layer of soot.

Minister Trudeau was censured by the Krytan throne for appearing in dragonface during his youth

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Okay, I appear to have defeated 1 big ugly dragon, so I guess I'm about to enjoy Living World Season 1. :toot:

I still enjoy being a tree person and I like to think I'm getting the hang of pressing all the differently colored buttons a little, but, wow, that last quest dragged on a little.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Vanadium posted:

Okay, I appear to have defeated 1 big ugly dragon, so I guess I'm about to enjoy Living World Season 1. :toot:

I still enjoy being a tree person and I like to think I'm getting the hang of pressing all the differently colored buttons a little, but, wow, that last quest dragged on a little.

Congratulations! :toot: The story really improves after the base game imo.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Vanadium posted:

You'll want to brace for more gimmick nonsense like the Zhaitan fight, ANet really gets up its own rear end w/ those as the seasons progress, though it tapers post S3.

I would btw highly recommend playing with friends, vet or otherwise. I had a lot of fun doing it that way, and it made a lot of the 'use (xyz) new magic crap thingy' gimmick poo poo bearable.

EDIT: And I will be v interested to hear your response to Heart of Thorns when you get there/if you have it.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 8, 2023

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

What if they don't have friends tough guy?

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
The first time a new player zones into HoT it should be a pre-nerf instance until they die the first time :v:

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Replaying S2 for the Seasons of the Dragon achievement reminded me how much I loving hate it when they force you to use skills other than your own. At least in IBS when you were scrying into another person they let you just ignore their lovely skills and use yours. The entirely too long sequence in S2 where you're Caithe was awful back when it was new and it was awful a year ago when I played it again.

So you have that to look forward to.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

yeah at least in later ones they let you swap between your own weapon set and the character's unique ones (or just have the character use your loadout)

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
I played a bit of WvW last week, got to like Gold or something. Then I played a LOT of WvW this week and finished the diamond chest. Boy was it a lot of WvW. And most of it was ticking at highest-score.

Wiki suggests this gets much easier as I rank up in ranks, but whew this path to legendary armor is going to be a grind.

Which makes sense I suppose.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
It's so much easier than it was. The weeklies are a pretty decent boost in your rate of tickets.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Humerus posted:

Replaying S2 for the Seasons of the Dragon achievement reminded me how much I loving hate it when they force you to use skills other than your own.

WoW and FF14 do this quite often, too. I also hate it but I guess not enough people do since the devs keep doin it :shrug:

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Humerus posted:

Replaying S2 for the Seasons of the Dragon achievement reminded me how much I loving hate it when they force you to use skills other than your own. At least in IBS when you were scrying into another person they let you just ignore their lovely skills and use yours. The entirely too long sequence in S2 where you're Caithe was awful back when it was new and it was awful a year ago when I played it again.

So you have that to look forward to.

Same!
Its infuriating when these games forces you to play a different class. At least in lotro you can skip such missions and read a summary of what happened.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I'm playing with a friend, sometimes, but they're level 10 currently so I try to have separate activities too. I don't have any of the expansions yet, not sure if I want to go through all their stories in order or just, like, get the newest one only under the assumption it has the best story because it's the most recent. I also wanted to see how much I can do with just the base game that I paid good money for a decade ago and then completely ignored, but at this point I'm afraid just going through the personal story, especially on foot, is going to burn me out first. :shobon:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
As someone who has been playing the story from start to finish, there are a lot of dull spots in the story and a lot of filler. However, when the game is good, it's really, really good. (I have not played SotO yet.)

Amazing:
- EoD
- PoE
- LWS4
- LWS1 after its remake.
- The beginning of Ice Brood Saga.

Average:
- LWS2
- HOT (Many parts can be in the amazing section, but tangled depths are garbage, and I highly suggest you get Blish HUD to finish the map if you are insane like me.)

Meh/Forgettable:
- LWS3
- After EoD ends. It's all filler.

Bad:
- Tangled Depths
- The end of IBS (10 Dragon response missions and the ending are very bad and repetitive.)
- Braham Eirsson
- Personal story.

Other fantastic things:
- Mounts
- Large-scale open-world events.
- Dailies aren't too terrible now.
- Guild missions can be fun.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Oh LWS1 being amazing sounds promising.

Do I even have access to dailies right now? I've done a great job at ignoring all the signposting of content the game might have thrown at me.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Dailies are done through the Wizard's Vault, you should have access to it at all times but I don't think it skips dailies based on content you haven't seen so you might be stuck with a daily for i.e. a minidungeon in a map you don't have or to kill an enemy type you haven't seen yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
LS1 starts off unnecessarily hard bc of when it was released and received little to no rebalancing so you'll want to have a real build before you start