Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

AlbertFlasher posted:

:(

you'd think with all the money they have they could do something positive in the world.

mideast cares about two things

* keep oil price high
* figure out what we're gonna do after the oil runs out as we really like trafficking romanian girls and chainsawing dissidents and that is NOT free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if your state is based upon a fungible commodity's price, the quality of ruling goes to poo poo. difficult to find exceptions

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

BMan posted:

never mind that, what the gently caress is this

it's one winter games in the desert BMan, what can it cost? 10 billion tonnes of carbon?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

mideast cares about two things

* keep oil price high
* figure out what we're gonna do after the oil runs out as we really like trafficking romanian girls and chainsawing dissidents and that is NOT free
I'm not sure countries are doing a great job of "figure out what we're gonna do after the oil runs out" either in the middle east or anywhere else

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
"what do we do when the average daily temperature is literally too hot for human cells to survive" is also an open question

i mean, there's an obvious answer, but presumably these governments being tied to specific geography are interested in less obvious ones

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

you just run the ac more, problem solved. for all time.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

bob dobbs is dead posted:

if your state is based upon a fungible commodity's price, the quality of ruling goes to poo poo. difficult to find exceptions
pivot to NFTs, got it

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

infernal machines posted:

"what do we do when the average daily temperature is literally too hot for human cells to survive" is also an open question

host the winter games, obviously

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Eeyo posted:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
we're a ways away from wet bulb temperatures outside of already relatively uninhabitable/scarcely inhabitable areas

however, i openly look forward to Detroit's resurgence as America's Constantinople

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

it's all very flexible because they have no idea what they're doing, what they can do, or if indeed they can do anything at all. and they need local voter approval to develop anything on the land to begin with, so they're off to a rough start

Very common amongst the rich.

A billionaire bought my now dead gay hospital system. His managers thought they could make an ICU that had been mothballed for 15+ years operational in a month. They had a lot of fun making everyone internal jump for this project until they met people that didn't work for them, like regulators. It never opened. He wanted to open an enfusion center. Bought lots of recliners and knocked down some walls, and then as a complete surprise they didn't know they needed ventilation systems to deal with the fumes the drugs made, and so all that work was for nothing and it all just sat there. It never opened. This was a guy who worked in hospitals and probably should have known you can't just snap your fingers and make stuff happen nor can you just build poo poo without talking to anyone about what's required. He reneged on all his promises, we were still bankrupt, my hospital closed a week before COVID, and he is now running the LA Times into the ground. :v:

Having money and employees makes people think they can just do whatever they want when they want, since for most things any crazy whim they come up with they will most likely get. They don't have to think ahead, because any obstacle can just be bought off.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

BMan posted:

host the winter games, obviously

Make the summer games happen in winter, just so your great special country can be extra special.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Lady Radia posted:

we're a ways away from wet bulb temperatures outside of already relatively uninhabitable/scarcely inhabitable areas

however, i openly look forward to Detroit's resurgence as America's Constantinople

a lot of places in the middle east are already basically uninhabitable during most of the year. it's just gonna get worse, and probably pretty quickly

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Lady Radia posted:

afaik places in saudi arabia, yemen, and oman are hitting 50°C+ with increasing frequency

maybe they fall under "uninhabitable/scarcely inhabitable areas" but that's kinda the point

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

skooma512 posted:

A billionaire bought my now dead gay hospital system. His managers thought they could make an ICU that had been mothballed for 15+ years operational in a month. They had a lot of fun making everyone internal jump for this project until they met people that didn't work for them, like regulators. It never opened. He wanted to open an enfusion center. Bought lots of recliners and knocked down some walls, and then as a complete surprise they didn't know they needed ventilation systems to deal with the fumes the drugs made, and so all that work was for nothing and it all just sat there. It never opened. This was a guy who worked in hospitals and probably should have known you can't just snap your fingers and make stuff happen nor can you just build poo poo without talking to anyone about what's required. He reneged on all his promises, we were still bankrupt, my hospital closed a week before COVID, and he is now running the LA Times into the ground. :v:

Having money and employees makes people think they can just do whatever they want when they want, since for most things any crazy whim they come up with they will most likely get. They don't have to think ahead, because any obstacle can just be bought off.

i work for a guy who was a higher level exec at a fairly large ad firm who decided to strike out on his own, start up style. it's been a hilarious process because he's never had to consider how things get done, or by whom. they just happen.

except of course when your company is you and one other person who also worked maybe a level below you before and you're suddenly having to, like, plan things and develop processes and best practices, and direct people on what to do and how to do it because that institutional knowledge and the workforce to implement it doesn't just spring forth fully formed from the aether.

also, shockingly, all of these things cost money. so you don't get to be the playboy exec salsesman making all the major deals, because you have an entire loving company to run and there's no one else to run it, and poo poo won't wait until you've finished your morning 18 holes and three hour lunch.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

haveblue posted:

it's sufficiently extant to have people resigning in disgust at their terrible work culture

also, lmao

it starts with normal dumb future bullshit and then just gets wild lmao

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Eeyo posted:

should i turn it up or turn it down?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

it starts with normal dumb future bullshit and then just gets wild lmao

taking walt disney's imagineering to heart

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

skooma512 posted:

bottle the fumes and sell them as discount exotic smells

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

posting on page 486

and it's faithful friend!

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Lady Radia posted:

everywhere has a wet bulb temperature all the time. it's just the coldest evaporative cooling can make something at that spot.

i'm guessing you are one of the trillion people who read that one article a couple of years back that used the term incorrectly, obliterating any chance to teach a pretty straightforward, well-defined technical term to a lay audience.

afaik places in saudi arabia, yemen, and oman are hitting 50°C+ with increasing frequency

maybe they fall under "uninhabitable/scarcely inhabitable areas" but that's kinda the point

dry bulb temperature doesn't tell the whole survivability story. humans can tolerate crazy heat if the air is dry enough and we're hydrated enough.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that's not incorrect. denver has gone from 86f summers to 97f summers in the 7 years i've lived here, but the humidity is still 13% so we can take advantage of swamp coolers and putting a wet towel on our neck. i pity the motherfuckers stuck down in arkansas tho

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
arse technical has a pretty good article about this up today: https://arstechnica.com/science/2023/09/yes-this-year-is-as-hot-as-you-think-it-is/

i probably don't need to point this out for most of you but yeah it's not just you, the past couple of years have really been extremely hot and it's just getting worse

they also point out that someone alive today under the age of 31 hasn't ever experienced below "normal" (i.e. average from 1950-80) temperatures

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
even when i was a kid in milwaukee in 1989 everybody was crying about how the heat was oppressive and weird and well its just a 100 year heat wave. we are like 1.5, maybe 2 generations into climate change denial. We're all loving doomed and i love all of my yosposters that decided to have kids, but i derive no pleasure from stating confidently that your children are going to sweat to death. 2060 is going to be so loving hosed up its inconceivable by our brains

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
peeps will have bunkers and stuff after the doom wave of 2036 that kills like 350 million peeps

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

peeps will have bunkers and stuff after the doom wave of 2036 that kills like 350 million peeps

they're making another doom? also they're not peeps they're demons

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

even when i was a kid in milwaukee in 1989 everybody was crying about how the heat was oppressive and weird and well its just a 100 year heat wave. we are like 1.5, maybe 2 generations into climate change denial. We're all loving doomed and i love all of my yosposters that decided to have kids, but i derive no pleasure from stating confidently that your children are going to sweat to death. 2060 is going to be so loving hosed up its inconceivable by our brains

counterpoint: maybe it will be fine

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
gentle request to take hellworld chat to hellworld theead, thats why we have a hellworld thread, to contain the hellworld chat

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

hehehehehe

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

heh

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Armitag3 posted:

hehehehehe

get his rear end

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

post hole digger posted:

get his rear end

no dont!!

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

mystes posted:

I'm not sure countries are doing a great job of "figure out what we're gonna do after the oil runs out" either in the middle east or anywhere else

norway, mainly because they don’t have MBS running their sovereign wealth fund, largely homogenous culture so strong social safety net, and being in the loving arctic circle

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

gentle request to take hellworld chat to hellworld theead, thats why we have a hellworld thread, to contain the hellworld chat

I will respect this but also i want you to admit that current tech bubel is indivorcable from hellworld. I will shut the gently caress up about it after this post

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

I will respect this but also i want you to admit that current tech bubel is indivorcable from hellworld.

it is a pretty stout venn diagram if not a single circle.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

gonna be a dad in <30 days!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Wayne Knight posted:

gonna be a dad in <30 days!

congrats!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

i agree, everything’s gonna be fine

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

in a well actually posted:

norway, mainly because they don’t have MBS running their sovereign wealth fund, largely homogenous culture so strong social safety net, and being in the loving arctic circle

I'd go with the new coastal region around the alps rather than the old coastal region, myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fart simpson posted:

i agree, everything’s gonna be fine

easy for you to say in china. those of us in banana republics like the united states might not fare so well.