Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite Pokémon type?
This poll is closed.
Plain 6 3.17%
Hot 7 3.70%
Wet 15 7.94%
Green 11 5.82%
Shocking 2 1.06%
Cold 3 1.59%
Punchy 7 3.70%
Poisonous 4 2.12%
Brown 7 3.70%
Bird 11 5.82%
Weird 17 8.99%
Gross 11 5.82%
Solid 2 1.06%
Scary 8 4.23%
Dragon 5 2.65%
Creepy 18 9.52%
Mech 33 17.46%
Pink 22 11.64%
Total: 189 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I thought they did that already or was that just to PC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It was frequently much funnier before all the major corps started really controlling their press conferences towards the very end

and yeah that Sony press conference was hilarious

Was that the one that also had flute guy or was that a different year?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Was that the one that also had flute guy or was that a different year?

That was the flute guy, who I believe it came out marketed himself as this master of traditional Japanese instruments but it turned out had no idea about anything since he was a white guy from Baltimore. So he was perfect to promote Ghost of Tsushima.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IIRC he was literally an extremely qualified player of that instrument but also was a white guy dressing in traditional clothing so it looked bad.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

New Punch-out style game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERQIlrFoqZI

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Starfield's feeling like a big step back from FO4 somehow so far

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
In this thread we respect Cornelius Boots.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

RBA Starblade posted:

Starfield's feeling like a big step back from FO4 somehow so far

How long you been playing? That was my feeling for a long while too, a regression in a number of ways, before succumbing to Stockholm Syndrome appreciating it for being it’s own thing.

Which isn’t to say it’s a better game, but it’s a more apples to oranges comparison.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rinkles posted:

How long you been playing? That was my feeling for a long while too, a regression in a number of ways, before succumbing to Stockholm Syndrome appreciating it for being it’s own thing.

Which isn’t to say it’s a better game, but it’s a more apples to oranges comparison.

Just a few hours so far, and it's not like I'm not liking it, but it doesn't really feel like anything has been iterated on positively

It's better than games like NMS or Outer Worlds but those are extremely low bars lol

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, V&G is very, weird. It kinda reminds me of the board game Napoleon against Europe, which is also pretty good and is also a two-player game, though it can handle England getting knocked out a bit better.

It was very swingy in either you get off to an excellent start or you just got screwed sometimes.

It's a good successor to L'Empereur, though, imo.

Funnily enough I bought it after abandoning playing L'Empereur for Uncharted Waters after I remembered that existed. I might go back and give it a real go this time.

As for V&G it's in that fascinatingly large caste of boardgames and games like them where it is undeniably fun, but you can see the cracks in the gameplay and you just wish that you could get a sequel to paste over some of them.

Just sitting thinking about it in the shower having the French recruitment pool decreasing every two years after the first, but having client kingdoms add to it would encourage more proactive play in that regard. Making the Spanish Guerilla's cease if you manage to wrest control of Portugal and unblockade Iberia would also make more sense then them just poofing into existence with guns and training. Giving the different generals actual skills would be interesting and not complicate matters much, St.Cyr being better on defense, Davout's troops harder to disorganize, Napoleon has a higher chance of having favorable terrain, Murat's cavalry get's a bonus pip, stuff like that. It would also make sense for terrain to exist in more than just the cards. For a series of campaigns that often hinged so much on Napoleon's master of terrain most battles being a 2x9 grid with zero features is bizarre.

Oh well, probably just going to have to bite the bullet and get into AGEOD games or try and find a war gaming group.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Just a few hours so far, and it's not like I'm not liking it, but it doesn't really feel like anything has been iterated on positively

It's better than games like NMS or Outer Worlds but those are extremely low bars lol

When was last time you played NMS? The more I play of Starfield the more it seems equivalent to NMS just trading back on forth on omissions and strengths/weaknesses.

Like writing is worse in Starfield, but the quests and NPCs at least in the abstract aren't technically you and the things they ask you to do are more mundane and straightforward for better or worse. Some of the NMS expeditions had interesting mechanical changes or structures to mix up the initial gameplay loops, curious to see how the NG+ changes compare.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Khanstant posted:

When was last time you played NMS? The more I play of Starfield the more it seems equivalent to NMS just trading back on forth on omissions and strengths/weaknesses.

Like writing is worse in Starfield, but the quests and NPCs at least in the abstract aren't technically you and the things they ask you to do are more mundane and straightforward for better or worse. Some of the NMS expeditions had interesting mechanical changes or structures to mix up the initial gameplay loops, curious to see how the NG+ changes compare.

Good question, maybe a year or two after it released? It's been a while

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I did the bulk of my playing within the last year or so with a brief gamepass poke around at some point before, and really seems like they added a ton of stuff that just wasn't there before but to me was always just the base experience. I don't think NMS or Starfield quite meet the bar people want them to be

If nothing else, the capital ship stuff they added was a genuinely fun thing to build up towards and earn and seek out the sweet Eva-01 colour scheme I wanted on the biggest ship style I could find. First time I walked on board my new capital ship and saw all my other little ships and had space for a base inside, like, I think that was the closest I've ever felt to understanding what crazy dream star citizens have to get so sucked into that scheme.

There is something to bring the person who tells a person to fly the mothership somewhere and staff to make sure everything is ready for when you go do some planetside bullshit. I don't think they had orbital bombing last I played but they had several patches since I last played. I was also hoping for a capital ship version of the space whalejellyfish.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Good question, maybe a year or two after it released? It's been a while
it's a dramatically different game now. nms now is just space subnautica

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm not sure how big a part of the game it is nowadays, but how's the shooting in NMS?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They've made several passes at improving it and now it's acceptable but the game isn't a shooter. Combat is largely avoidable and you have a lot of tools to run away from encounters

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I've got two Audible credits that apparently disappear if I cancel my sub. Any sci fi recommendations? I've barely read any contemporary sci fi, so not even Iain Banks' stuff. Children of Time sounds cool.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Book of the New Sun

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have been reading Octavia Butler's Earthseed duology, Parable of the Sower and Parable of the Talents

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Locked Tomb books are goofy fun

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also do read Iain M. Banks' stuff (he used the M for sci-fi and leaves it out for general fiction)

haveblue fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 7, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

there isn't even an M in sci-fi

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

I've got two Audible credits that apparently disappear if I cancel my sub. Any sci fi recommendations? I've barely read any contemporary sci fi, so not even Iain Banks' stuff. Children of Time sounds cool.

Children of Time is p good.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I'm not sure how big a part of the game it is nowadays, but how's the shooting in NMS?
they're not really interested in making it a fps but they've done a lot of work to the combat. mostly just to make it a little more varied than just pointing at enemies and holding fire, alt weapons and exocraft combat are more viable and also sometimes kinda necessary. a little bit more in service of giving you a reason to build and specialize multitools than turning it into a big technical combat game though

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I have no idea what the implications of the big elaborate quest in the most recent nms update where you build your own wizard staff are on all that, though. haven't done it yet

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I assume you mean assembling a support crew of magic users

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Finding a perfect gun tool that matches your fleet aesthetic is pretty hard.

Speaking of No Man's Subnautica they added a whole set of vehicles and bases for underwater I never found a place deep enough to make it feel like a weird amphibious base

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I assume you mean assembling a support crew of magic users

a wizard's staff has a knob on the end

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.

Rinkles posted:

Hyperion or Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
1968 isn’t that contemporary

Hyperion is good though. Don’t read sequels 3 and 4

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rinkles posted:

rear end

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

do people think the shooting in starfield is good

i don't play gun games enough to know what good shooting is actually like.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Good shooting is when you click the button once and 15 people in front of you explode into a fountain of red mist and meat chunks.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Rinkles posted:

goatface posted:

Children of Time is p good.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Kerrzhe posted:

do people think the shooting in starfield is good

i don't play gun games enough to know what good shooting is actually like.

The shooting is fine in starfield. It does the job.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

sirtommygunn posted:

Good shooting is when you click the button once and 15 people in front of you explode into a fountain of red mist and meat chunks.

ah. so like when a high level Krieg in BL2 swings his axe at someone's head. got it.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Kerrzhe posted:

ah. so like when a high level Krieg in BL2 swings his axe at someone's head. got it.

Mm, no, not quite. Borderlands in general is not really a good example of an FPS that feels satisfying to play, partly due to the nature of it being meshed so heavily with RPG conceits. It's still fun mind you, but it's fun for how ridiculous it is rather than feeling satisfying imo (I have played all four for reference)

Generally good shooting in an FPS feels very responsive to the players actions(when missing it's a mistake on your part, not something out of player control), has good player feedback (gun sounds satisfying to fire) AND good enemy feedback (enemies react appropriately to getting shot, fun ragdolls/gibs for more powerful weapons). There's some other more specific stuff that'll vary from person to person imo rather than being a core.

Fwiw WH40K: Darktide has the best FPS experience for shooting a gun in any FPS I've played (I've played a lot of fps) at the moment imo. Guns are all satisfying to fire, enemies react fantastically via various stagger, knockdown and gib animations, you never really feel like missed shots were out of your control.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 8, 2023

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Evil Kit posted:

Mm, no, not quite. Borderlands in general is not really a good example of an FPS that feels satisfying to play, partly due to the nature of it being meshed so heavily with RPG conceits. It's still fun mind you, but it's fun for how ridiculous it is rather than feeling satisfying imo (I have played all four for reference)

Generally good shooting in an FPS feels very responsive to the players actions(when missing it's a mistake on your part, not something out of player control), has good player feedback (gun sounds satisfying to fire) AND good enemy feedback (enemies react appropriately to getting shot, fun ragdolls/gibs for more powerful weapons). There's some other more specific stuff that'll vary from person to person imo rather than being a core.

Fwiw WH40K: Darktide has the best FPS experience for shooting a gun in any FPS I've played (I've played a lot of fps) at the moment imo. Guns are all satisfying to fire, enemies react fantastically via various stagger, knockdown and gib animations, you never really feel like missed shots were out of your control.

You need to try Tarkov

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Destiny 2 has extraordinarily good FPS feel and it’s free to try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It’s pronounced “jibs”