Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

BonHair posted:

This is another reason to post the classic

Look if you want to prove that world wars cause left handedness there's really no need, that's already been very well established.

Thank god the cold war never went hot. Who knows how many left handed people there would be around today!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Look if you want to prove that world wars cause left handedness there's really no need, that's already been very well established.

Thank god the cold war never went hot. Who knows how many left handed people there would be around today!

I think you're reading it wrong. The sinisters came first, so clearly they caused the wars. And how many years is it America has been not at war since 1943?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

DontMockMySmock posted:

can't be assed to do the rest of it

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Ah man, as heavy rock player, there was like two thousand eight hundred and twenty one years where I would of been really owning that game.

Unlike know where I normally just lose all the time as everyone knows I mostly just play rock. :(

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.
Wait, what were people cutting with scissors for 2800 years?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Adhemar posted:

leather, fabric

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
also chopping up dank nugs.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

hair

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.
:hmmyes:

I’m playing leather from now on.

wakka wakka
Oct 9, 2004

Adhemar posted:

Remarks against the OP rock players

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Paper has the last laugh. While the paper may be cut, the scissors are never the same.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

zedprime posted:

Paper has the last laugh. While the paper may be cut, the scissors are never the same.

There were three men came out of the West,
Their fortunes for to try,
And these three men made a solemn vow
paper must die.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

zedprime posted:

Don't cut paper with fabric scissors

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

BonHair posted:

While we're setting some lesser known rules to play rock paper scissors safely, it's also apparently frowned upon to destroy scissors by trying to cut David's marble dick off.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

BonHair posted:

Duh, obviously. Fabric isn't even sharp!

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

zedprime posted:

But Paper alone changes fundamentally, win or lose. Scissors remains fine if it wins and Rock neither notices nor cares in either scenario.

Really makes u think

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

zedprime posted:

While we're setting some lesser known rules to play rock paper scissors safely, it's also apparently frowned upon to destroy scissors by trying to cut David's marble dick off.

They should let you take off a little.

Circumcision would make it more historically accurate.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Platystemon posted:

They should let you take off a little.

Circumcision would make it more historically accurate.

:eng101: David is partially circumcised, as per the practice of the time

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

credburn posted:

:eng101: David is partially circumcised, as per the practice of the time

explain how

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Secret strat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5Z6FXcPGFc

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Mescal posted:

explain how

Well now I am not so sure. Looking around on the Internet, I see a lot of claims like this

quote:

Circumcision was different in the time of David and is actually correctly noted in the statue with just the tip of the foreskin removed. It wouldn't become a more common practice to completely remove the skin until roman times. Michelangelo, by all accounts, is accurate to David's time.

But they're all from commenters or quotes. I can't find a better source... yet!

So maybe this is just one of those things I "learned" just for the sake of dropping mad fact bombs but never checked up on it :|

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

credburn posted:

Well now I am not so sure. Looking around on the Internet, I see a lot of claims like this

So maybe this is just one of those things I "learned" just for the sake of dropping mad fact bombs but never checked up on it :|

In the book Breaking Their Will, by Janet Heimlich, I recall the assertion that the requirement of the covenant is basically that the penis look visibly different from non-Jews' penises. This doesn't require removing much tissue. I don't know what Heimlich's source was for the claim and don't actually own a copy of the book to check. It was something I grabbed off the shelf at my university library because I was bored out of my mind with whatever I was trying to study and the visual design of the spine was striking.

The full removal of the foreskin is something I associate more with late 19th / early 20th century American health reformers (like Kellogg), but now that I think about it, it's more that I associate that movement with circumcision becoming widespread for non-religious reasons. I have no idea what religious practitioners were doing at the time.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

credburn posted:

It can happen in modern times too, just ask my penis!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Isn't David more of a myth than a historical guy though?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

BonHair posted:

That's not really relevant to whether a Jewish king would be circumcised.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Probably too long for a thread title but still

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

BonHair posted:

real statue, real guy, that's the rules

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The David story many times calls the Philistines "uncircumcised." This is to forge an identity around that marker. This is before "the Jews." It's probably after this point where it becomes a given.

quote:

Who is this uncircumcised Philistine that he should defy the armies of the living God?'"

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

But it's only the later authors who reference circumcision. The oldest author is only concerned with the drama, no piety, no goliath.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
PYF awful/funny graphs and charts: Who is this uncircumcised Philistine?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

For twelve years you have been asking:

wakka wakka
Oct 9, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

statues are limited to real people, that's why its called the statue of limitations

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Surely that'd be the limitation of statues?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kantesu posted:

Surely that'd be the limitation of statues?

The statue of limitations is the statue that makes the limitation of statues real, by being a statue.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm gonna start calling my enemies "uncircumcised".

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

Well gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa