Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
After hearing about how hard it was for the Genshin VAs to get paid, I fully support the SAG VG strike

the real issue is that VG companies tend to hire off union as a rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

to be fair in that case it doesnt seem like the video game company was at fault. the dub VAs for their other game were getting paid fine and as soon as hoyoverse was aware of the problem they resolved it. it seems like the issue was the company they were going through.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I wasn't trying to blame Hoyoverse for that, but the dubbing company is still part of the industry and seems to hire mostly non-union.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Anora posted:

Isn't almost all of the voice work for Capcom games non-union these days? Like one of the reasons they recast all of the voices for the RE-make games was to go non-union?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah I would certainly love to read more reporting on how the VA industry works. Based on that list of signatory companies, Sony is the only Japanese company with exposure to the strike because of their American subsidiaries working with Blindlight/Formosa/Voiceworks

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Anora posted:

Yeah, I don't see this going very well for SAG. Unlike films, video games don't rely on the voice talent to promote their product.

And no video games companies that i know of are are in contract with WGA.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah, I don't see this going very well for SAG. Unlike films, video games don't rely on the voice talent to promote their product.

And no video games companies that i know of are are in contract with WGA.

Ehhhh...this could be for marketing purposes, keep keeping the larger strike in the news cycle. Recent polls (link here) show pretty broad popular support for unions and strikes at the moment, and the last couple years it's been in the news numerous times. Between the rail strike that didn't happen, UPS, SAG/WGA, an impending UAW strike, and the ongoing disputes between Starbucks & Amazon and their respective workers, no company has really drawn public support.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Ehhhh...this could be for marketing purposes, keep keeping the larger strike in the news cycle. Recent polls (link here) show pretty broad popular support for unions and strikes at the moment, and the last couple years it's been in the news numerous times. Between the rail strike that didn't happen, UPS, SAG/WGA, an impending UAW strike, and the ongoing disputes between Starbucks & Amazon and their respective workers, no company has really drawn public support.

This feels like one place where the relative insularity and intense corporate parasociality of games is going to be a detriment when it comes to "public opnion". With the film/tv strike even Marvel fansites were posting "maybe disney should just pay their workers better." Maybe I'm just pessimistic but I feel like the average Gamer on the Internet is more likely to rally to the banner of their favorite corporations

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This feels like one place where the relative insularity and intense corporate parasociality of games is going to be a detriment when it comes to "public opnion". With the film/tv strike even Marvel fansites were posting "maybe disney should just pay their workers better." Maybe I'm just pessimistic but I feel like the average Gamer on the Internet is more likely to rally to the banner of their favorite corporations

Maybe gamers will, but it's more about shareholders than anything. Labor has been winning these fights in the court of public opinion all year, no reason to believe that will change.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Strike while the iron is read hot and all that

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't see how what gamers think matters at all.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think this is too pessimistic. When it came out that Bayonetta 3 had a new voice actress for the lead character gamers were very willing to back the original VA over Platinum Games until more details came to light.

VAs are getting more prominent in gaming to the point that they catch unhinged poo poo online from people who can't separate them from the characters they play.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i feel like a lot of people base their reads on situations first and foremost on flexing about how much more moral they are than Gamers theyve made up in their heads

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Tarezax posted:

I think this is too pessimistic. When it came out that Bayonetta 3 had a new voice actress for the lead character gamers were very willing to back the original VA over Platinum Games until more details came to light.

VAs are getting more prominent in gaming to the point that they catch unhinged poo poo online from people who can't separate them from the characters they play.

The Bayo 3 debacle was some social media push by the original VA that amounted to a shakedown attempt, basically wanting millions for being the voice of a popular character, and the original contract, while not amazing, was pretty good by VA standards to begin with, I believe it was a union contract too.

Defaulting to assuming a company is unfairly paying people is a good stance to take, that was a very weird situation that then got even worse as the original VA ended up adding in some terf charities to support for people who wanted to help her.

And VAs aren't the only ones going nuts over their characters, the Dragon Age Cullen VA did a maga podcast in character after getting fired.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
"Gamers" is such a large category now as to be almost meaningless without some more specifics. It is not a small industry by any metric anymore and you cannot really talk about the hobby like it is.

pentyne posted:

The Bayo 3 debacle was some social media push by the original VA that amounted to a shakedown attempt, basically wanting millions for being the voice of a popular character, and the original contract, while not amazing, was pretty good by VA standards to begin with, I believe it was a union contract too.

Defaulting to assuming a company is unfairly paying people is a good stance to take, that was a very weird situation that then got even worse as the original VA ended up adding in some terf charities to support for people who wanted to help her.

And VAs aren't the only ones going nuts over their characters, the Dragon Age Cullen VA did a maga podcast in character after getting fired.
Yes but the point is the community was perfectly happy to believe her until more information came to light.

MadHat fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 3, 2023

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Clarste posted:

I don't see how what gamers think matters at all.

:hmmyes:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I still think there’s a clear distinction between “people who play videogames” and “Gamers” though. Gamers being the type who hear about UK media not getting Starfield review code and immediately cheer about getting revenge for trying to block the Microsoft/ABK merger.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

not really? plenty of people who post a ton on gaming subreddits and would self-identify as 'Gamers' don't do that kind of thing. people who react like that are a minority of a minority of a minority, its stupid to constantly post about them.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Are negotiations broken down to the point where there's a public list of current demands vs offer?

Just before the 2017 strike, they were basically in agreement on everything except that the union wanted VAs to get open-ended per-game sold residual payments. It seems to me like they drastically overestimated how vital they were since that strike ended with the union folding after a year of it not really impacting video game production very much and basically accepting the last pre-strike counter offer (fixed pay increase, no residuals).

I don't really see a strike going that differently now. Voice acting in games isn't like TV/movie/commercial acting. It's a tiny fraction of the total labor (weeks of VA time at most vs literal person-decades for everything else in a AAA game) so an employer can put it off without hugely screwing up schedules, recasting a role in a sequel is normal to consumers, and non-union labor is common already.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
This one feels different, because one big difference is that the use of AI to emulate the work and identity of a specific actor is one of, if not the core issue of this strike, and one that the second it becomes a problematic reality is going to have the scabs running to join the guild actors pretty loving quick once it touches them, too. I don't think this one's going away without a huge fight or the industry just giving zero fucks and basically returning to the 1990s reality of having voice acting provided by whoever in the office is willing to lend their vocal identity to the AI, and at this point I've got no idea which way it'll flop.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 4, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Endorph posted:

not really? plenty of people who post a ton on gaming subreddits and would self-identify as 'Gamers' don't do that kind of thing. people who react like that are a minority of a minority of a minority, its stupid to constantly post about them.

There's this whole idea that a single vocal scapegoat minority is actually overwhelmingly dominant and thus ground is constant ceded to them without any effort or analysis. Like that Law and Order Gamergate episode showing a games con as a place where women cannot enter without being constantly openly assaulted and raped as a matter of course, and those who speak out are murdered.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's this whole idea that a single vocal scapegoat minority is actually overwhelmingly dominant and thus ground is constant ceded to them without any effort or analysis. Like that Law and Order Gamergate episode showing a games con as a place where women cannot enter without being constantly openly assaulted and raped as a matter of course, and those who speak out are murdered.

Take out the murder and this is pretty true of conventions, yes.

https://www.eurogamer.net/gdc-2023-attendees-were-reportedly-subjected-to-abuse-assault-and-drink-spiking

This is from this year, for example. And GDC is not exactly some no-name convention.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

welp, e3 is confirmed to be dead....again:

quote:

PAX organiser ReedPop will not be working on future E3 events, the company and the ESA have announced.

The ESA has also informed the Los Angeles Convention Center, which is the traditional home of E3, that it will not be putting a show on there in 2024. The ESA has not cancelled plans for a 2024 event, but if one was to go ahead, it won't take place in that venue.

GamesIndustry.biz understands that the trade body is also working on a complete reinvention of the E3 show for 2025

ReedPop, which is also the parent company of GamesIndustry.biz, had signed a multi-year deal on E3 in 2023. However, the first effort to relaunch the event failed to get off the ground and the planned 2023 show was cancelled. The decision to end the relationship was a "mutual decision".

"We appreciate ReedPop's partnership over the past 14 months and support their ongoing efforts to bring industry and fans together through their various events," said ESA president and CEO Stanley Pierre-Louis.

"While the reach of E3 remains unmatched in our industry, we are continuing to explore how we can evolve it to best serve the video game industry and are evaluating every aspect of the event, from format to location. We are committed to our role as a convenor for the industry and look forward to sharing news about E3 in the coming months."

"We have enjoyed our time working with the ESA and appreciate their commitment to the games industry as a whole," says ReedPop's games events boss Kyle Marsden-Kish.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/reedpop-and-esa-part-ways-over-e3

this is so utterly depressing. i get that there may have been a ton of problems, but i always enjoyed that time of year :smith:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It makes sense as just something the industry doesn't seem to need or want any more. Why share the spotlight with a pile of other companies and pay for travel and hotels when you can just do a livestream and have the whole news cycle to yourself 2-3 times a year.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

this is so utterly depressing. i get that there may have been a ton of problems, but i always enjoyed that time of year :smith:

Keighley 3 still exists and still manages to make that time of year exciting if you love game trailers

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

id much rather e3 than the game awards because at least e3 didnt pretend to be anything other than a promotional event. acting like 'oh, this random AAA sony game is Game of the Year, lets all clap' or the disgusting Games for Change poo poo is just the worst.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

fez_machine posted:

Keighley 3 still exists and still manages to make that time of year exciting if you love game trailers

Or update information for endless free to play mobile games or 10 minutes talking about concept art because the company is holding the actual trailer for its own event to pad the show out.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

:rip:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

id much rather e3 than the game awards because at least e3 didnt pretend to be anything other than a promotional event. acting like 'oh, this random AAA sony game is Game of the Year, lets all clap' or the disgusting Games for Change poo poo is just the worst.

Or giving awards to people like Boogie

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

kirbysuperstar posted:

Or giving awards to people like Boogie

no way

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

fez_machine posted:

Yeah, I'm really glad he took the initiative on that. Christmas in summer imo

Still, E3 dying is a net loss for the industry, for industry transparency, and for the ability to talk to devs and ask questions and interface on topics beyond just the superficial level of the hype cycle

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vic posted:

no way

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
no

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, I'm really glad he took the initiative on that. Christmas in summer imo

Still, E3 dying is a net loss for the industry, for industry transparency, and for the ability to talk to devs and ask questions and interface on topics beyond just the superficial level of the hype cycle

E3 was a thing that the general public couldn't go to, only press. Then it became a bad version of PAX.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the year after this they gave the same award to drdisrespect, they really knew how to pick em

after that they retired the "trending gamer" category

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Trending Personality of the Year award had a long streak of cursed winners. TotalBiscuit, Greg Miller, Boogie, DrDisrespect and Ninja (remember him?) was one hell of a streak. Then they dropped it in 2021, along with the Best Esports Host award after Eefje Depoortere won it for the 3rd straight year becajse Sjokz rules.

Then last year they just gave every award to God Of War Ragnarok.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 8, 2023

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

njsykora posted:

The Trending Personality of the Year award had a long streak of cursed winners. TotalBiscuit, Greg Miller, Boogie, DrDisrespect and Ninja (remember him?) was one hell of a streak. Then they dropped it in 2021, along with the Best Esports Host award after Eefje Depoortere won it for the 3rd straight year becajse Sjokz rules.

Ninja securing the bag from Microsoft is one of the all time great internet stories.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
SA has enough devs that it should have its own goon games trade show.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Every games journalist I've ever seen speak about it hated late-model E3 with a white-hot passion. When it was a trade show, you could indeed talk to the devs and see what was up. You could spend the time with other (semi)-knowledgeable people. Once it was opened to the public, it turned into a badly overpacked fan convention. This is not because fans are bad (we are) but because when you want to pass on news and gossip, you don't do it with Random McJoe who just wandered over after playing the demo at the next booth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

njsykora posted:

It was replaced with Content Creator of the year. Valkyrae won (and immediately had a minor scandal using her stream to hawk fraudulent blu-blocker products), then Dream won (and had a scandal by cheating on minecraft speedrunning which he tried to smother by hiring a PhD to write a mathematical paper that was dismantled by the collective speedrunning community).

Ludwig won in 2022 (hopefully the streak is broken)