Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Trabisnikof posted:

any links to their research?

https://environment.sfsu.edu/publication/micrometeorology-ephemeral-desert-city-burning-man-experiment

this is what they did 10 years ago. they likely have more than just that paper

they were doing a 10 year retrospective to see if the city got better or worse. they think worse since, even though there’s more solar, there’s also more e-bikes.

also that group does forest fire modeling and we’re gonna do a LiDAR scan of the man burn but I’m not sure they ended up doing it. I think they took down their tower when it rained too, so maybe we have to wait another year for the co2 stuff too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
wait is that just an excuse to get sf state to fund them going to burning man?
lol that owns

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

fits my needs posted:

wait is that just an excuse to get sf state to fund them going to burning man?
lol that owns

it’s how you can be sure they are super smart

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
did u have fun tho stereotype

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

burning mod

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Stereotype posted:

https://environment.sfsu.edu/publication/micrometeorology-ephemeral-desert-city-burning-man-experiment

this is what they did 10 years ago. they likely have more than just that paper

they were doing a 10 year retrospective to see if the city got better or worse. they think worse since, even though there’s more solar, there’s also more e-bikes.

also that group does forest fire modeling and we’re gonna do a LiDAR scan of the man burn but I’m not sure they ended up doing it. I think they took down their tower when it rained too, so maybe we have to wait another year for the co2 stuff too.

Thanks!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Hubbert posted:

did u have fun tho stereotype

i had so much fun

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

:]

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Stereotype posted:

i had so much fun

Thx for making the thread and for employing our nations children

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I love music festivals and all but how could Elon musk survive being in the desert with a horde of radically self reliant hippies on tons of drugs... wouldn't they rend him asunder in an orgy of violence?

Or does this orgy dome I keep hearing about disperse their energy?

Also, why's sex so great at a festie?
It's in-tents!

How do you know a wook's gotten laid recently?
Two of his fingers are clean!

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

BRJurgis posted:

I love music festivals and all but how could Elon musk survive being in the desert with a horde of radically self reliant hippies on tons of drugs... wouldn't they rend him asunder in an orgy of violence?

Or does this orgy dome I keep hearing about disperse their energy?

Also, why's sex so great at a festie?
It's in-tents!

How do you know a wook's gotten laid recently?
Two of his fingers are clean!

Has the biosphere collapsed yet? Feels like it‘s close. Should I get my anime villain speech ready now?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Has the biosphere collapsed yet? Feels like it‘s close. Should I get my anime villain speech ready now?

the worst part of collapse is timing your meltdown just right, don't want to meltdown too soon and have civilization persist for like another two decades

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

any minute now, post the speech

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

if I’ve learned anything from this thread it’s that civilization will persist far longer than I can remain solvent. if your villain speech isn’t a bankruptcy filing you are doing it wrong

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Stereotype posted:

i had so much fun

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Stereotype posted:

they think worse since, even though there’s more solar, there’s also more e-bikes.

wait what? how does that work lmao

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
https://ikanreed.net/fastupload/new-record.mp4

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

TehSaurus posted:

if I’ve learned anything from this thread it’s that civilization will persist far longer than I can remain solvent. if your villain speech isn’t a bankruptcy filing you are doing it wrong

Yeah I'm real broke at this point and we haven't all been raptured, it's disappointing

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Holding onto it even after The Fall. Pants insulated with cash. Going to make scale mail out of credit cards, penny art is going to get insane. Let's Go!!!!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I'm no graphs expert but that looks like an exponential curve.

Concerning!

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Car Hater posted:

Yeah I'm real broke at this point and we haven't all been raptured, it's disappointing

sorry for your loss but I bet your meltdown will own so who can say if it is good or bad

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

smoobles posted:

I'm no graphs expert but that looks like an exponential curve.

Concerning!

I'm no numbermancer but that looks like 6, maybe 7 sigmas, and I think I saw a golden ratio

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Google maps just updated their street view of Lytton BC, famous for getting to like 120F and then promptly burning to the ground. The whole town is gone but you can still see where the businesses were and their reviews. It's pretty eerie.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
faster than predicted you say

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/sep/08/antarctica-warming-much-faster-than-models-predicted-in-deeply-concerning-sign-for-sea-levels

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

you said the secret phrase!!!

(close enough)

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

somebody please rescue that pengiun

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

smoobles posted:

i'm sure he'll just fly away

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

smoobles posted:

I found some glue ........

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

Seriously! Eggheads, what do they know??

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I like how it's a "deeply concerning sign" for sea levels, in the same way that getting stabbed is a "deeply concerning sign" for blood loss

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
So does anyone know what unforseen feedback loop has been triggered? My theory is that the deep ocean has been absorbing excess heat for decades and has finally stopped. It seems liike something has changed just within the past year.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fell Mood posted:

So does anyone know what unforseen feedback loop has been triggered? My theory is that the deep ocean has been absorbing excess heat for decades and has finally stopped. It seems liike something has changed just within the past year.

the heat we've been seeing this year was effectively predicted by the ipcc ar6 reports

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Fell Mood posted:

the ocean has been absorbing massive amounts of energy for decades, up to 90% of warming so far
https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-sign...e%20atmosphere.

quote:

Covering more than 70% of Earth’s surface, our global ocean has a very high heat capacity. It has absorbed 90% of the warming that has occurred in recent decades due to increasing greenhouse gases, and the top few meters of the ocean store as much heat as Earth's entire atmosphere.
its a pretty massive buffer but it was always going to catch up with us eventually

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fell Mood posted:

It's the first year of an El Niño warm phase, and the baseline temperature is warmer than ever, so those factors together are pushing temperatures to all-time highs. Other factors exist as well, but that's a big one for North America.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Trabisnikof posted:

the heat we've been seeing this year was effectively predicted by the ipcc ar6 reports

What does that report say is the cause of a sudden increase in the rate of warming?

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Cold on a Cob posted:

you said the secret phrase!!!

(close enough)

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

:pusheen:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

steve tardy

wait thats not a tardigrade i forget what that is. someone make the correct pun