Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
What if Liu Kang can also shapeshift into other people like Shang Tsung........................

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Isn't it fuckin wild how there have been pages and pages of discussion about the story of a fighting game? A Mortal Kombat fighting game?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Maybe? NRS have gone pretty all-out on including story modes since MK9, which while I wouldn't call them thematically deep, closer to convoluted moreso, they are definitely cinematic, so much so that Capcom and Namco felt they needed to follow suit to keep up in their respective fighting game franchises. They pretty much lead the way in that regard for single player fighting game content.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

codo27 posted:

Isn't it fuckin wild how there have been pages and pages of discussion about the story of a fighting game? A Mortal Kombat fighting game?

First time in a modern Mortal Kombat thread?

safe harbor
Jul 18, 2004
EMO AS FUCK

codo27 posted:

its the main reason why I play MK. The Lore and storylines are unhinged and hilarious.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Apparently Nitara is from a realm called Vaeternus. I guess in Deadly Alliance it had been merged with Outworld but they’re making it sound like now it’s totally separate? Liu Kang tried to keep the vampires out of Outworld and Nitara was like “lol no”

It would not shock me if Liu Kang gave them their own realm only to forget to give them a food source, forcing them to invade other realms just to survive.

They're stuck in a realm ripe with all sorts of natural crops and fertile soil but can't use any of it

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Shinji2015 posted:

It would not shock me if Liu Kang gave them their own realm only to forget to give them a food source, forcing them to invade other realms just to survive.

They're stuck in a realm ripe with all sorts of natural crops and fertile soil but can't use any of it

Liu Kang, agrucultural genius, gave them the most fertile of lands but only sparkling water of which to farm with.

Also, do we know which kharacter bleeds something other than red, or are kontent kreators hosed when it comes time to murder D'Vorah someone endlessly to get around YT's censorship rules?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Why does Elder God Luigi Krang simply not create one thousand Shang Tsungs to be tortured/vampire juice packs/training dummies for shaolin monks/trapped in barrels and pelted with moldy tomatos :thunk:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

C. Everett Koop posted:

Liu Kang, agrucultural genius, gave them the most fertile of lands but only sparkling water of which to farm with.

Also, do we know which kharacter bleeds something other than red, or are kontent kreators hosed when it comes time to murder D'Vorah someone endlessly to get around YT's censorship rules?

It'll probably be Reptile, but afaik you can shift the screen to black and white and it's still hit or miss whether or not your stuff gets flagged. The dismemberment will also always be a problem no matter what

Only real solution is the game itself having a streamer mode

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

C. Everett Koop posted:

I don't think weird blood color saves you these days. I've seen several youtube creators going all-out pixelated censoring on fatal/krushing blows in MK11.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

codo27 posted:

I do not play Mortal Kombat to fight other people. I play it for the buckwild lore and characters.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

I don't think weird blood color saves you these days. I've seen several youtube creators going all-out pixelated censoring on fatal/krushing blows in MK11.

At this point I imagine just having MK tagged will be enough to get your video flagged

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

codo27 posted:

Mortal Kombat's story both ironically and unironically rules.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Apparently Nitara is from a realm called Vaeternus. I guess in Deadly Alliance it had been merged with Outworld but they’re making it sound like now it’s totally separate? Liu Kang tried to keep the vampires out of Outworld and Nitara was like “lol no”

I love that in the previous timeline, her realm was conquered by Shao Kahn and she was the only one left but in this timeline her people just ate everything her world had to offer and is now venturing into other realms to eat them too. Turns out Shao Kahn's bloody lust for power actually staved off other threats. Pretty neat.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Ed Boon did the hot wings show (and apparently paid for the privilege)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZJaYVDfoDE

He's a pretty dull interview tbh, but I did like the story of Scorpion's catchphrase

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Ed Boon did the hot wings show (and apparently paid for the privilege)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZJaYVDfoDE

He's a pretty dull interview tbh, but I did like the story of Scorpion's catchphrase

The questions were very standard but I'm not sure how how you make an interview like that more interesting since he's not a typical celebrity.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

DeadButDelicious posted:

Maybe? NRS have gone pretty all-out on including story modes since MK9, which while I wouldn't call them thematically deep, closer to convoluted moreso, they are definitely cinematic, so much so that Capcom and Namco felt they needed to follow suit to keep up in their respective fighting game franchises. They pretty much lead the way in that regard for single player fighting game content.

Deadly Alliance had a lovely Konquest mode, Deception had an epic Konquest mode and Armageddon had a lovely one again, but lovely in a different way.

Bumper Stickup posted:

I do not play Mortal Kombat to fight other people. I play it for the buckwild lore and characters.

I unironically love the insane amount of lore/story in MK. It’s a huge part of the appeal. Same reason I love Kingdom Hearts.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Regrettable posted:

The questions were very standard but I'm not sure how how you make an interview like that more interesting since he's not a typical celebrity.

Yeah, I saw that pop up on my feed and was like "...why?"

Now, you get Harada on there....

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, I saw that pop up on my feed and was like "...why?"

A lot of the entertainment industry's striking, that's why

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I hate MK's gameplay with all my heart and soul but the lore and characters can be really whacky and funny so it's fun to follow that element.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

A lot of the entertainment industry's striking, that's why

Oh duh, of course

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
https://twitter.com/unCAGEDgamez/status/1699841871529361825

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Wow it’s gonna be hosed seeing jcvd get fatalatied.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
It's cool that he's chilled out about himself enough to sign off on it, dude used to extremely anal about his image and I guarantee that young Van Damme wouldn't have done it unless fatalities were disabled on him or something along those lines.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Doesn't look like him at all.

Thats loving pathetic beyond words if Boon actually paid to be on a loving youtube video, even if it is one of the most popular gimmicks out there right now.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
lmao, that looks nothing like how I recall him doing so back in the day

Bumper Stickup posted:

:same:

It's basically a ridiculous interactive TV show that pops up every few years, IDGAF how 'kompetitive' kharacters are or any of that nonsense. Just give me Johnny being a dick, and Liu Kang sighing as he tries to work out how to stop Shang Tsung loving every thing up again while some newbie jobbers show up and have a good time getting in the way and annoying each other.

While SF6's World Tour can't be faulted in terms of tutorials and training, the whole time I played the story missions I was mostly bored out of my mind wishing it was as batshit ridiculous and enjoyable as the last few MKs. Blah blah strength, the big boss is an accountant, loving yawwwwwwwwwwwn.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

codo27 posted:

Thats loving pathetic beyond words if Boon actually paid to be on a loving youtube video, even if it is one of the most popular gimmicks out there right now.

Hotwings guy grew big enough to get the same attention from studios as the late night shows. They send people there to shill all the time. I assume WB paid for this instead of Boon out of pocket.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
wow what apiece of poo poo next thing you know they're going to pay people to play the game

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Archer666 posted:

It's cool that he's chilled out about himself enough to sign off on it, dude used to extremely anal about his image and I guarantee that young Van Damme wouldn't have done it unless fatalities were disabled on him or something along those lines.

On the other hand JCVD was always willing to have his character take a full on rear end-kicking in pretty much all of his notable films. fatalities might be a different question, but he might've gone for it. He definitely wasn't as up his own rear end about appearing untouchable as Seagal was, anyway

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Wow, they put Guile in Mortal Kombat!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rhonne posted:

Wow, they put Guile in Mortal Kombat!

He's the second actor to play both Guile and Johnny Cage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94Vb_4mntv0

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

codo27 posted:

it's basically no different than talk shows as a marketing vehicle, but he is better suited for this venue than being interviewed by Colbert

watching it now cuz it came up in my feed - it's a fine interview. he's not like watching a comedian or something but he interviews well

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

codo27 posted:

Yeah, not great. JCVD did record voice lines for it though

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

text editor posted:

it's basically no different than talk shows as a marketing vehicle, but he is better suited for this venue than being interviewed by Colbert

watching it now cuz it came up in my feed - it's a fine interview. he's not like watching a comedian or something but he interviews well

Yeah companies have always paid in one way or another for late night show appearances. That's what talk shows have always been, advertainment

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Billy Gnosis posted:

Yeah companies have always paid in one way or another for late night show appearances. That's what talk shows have always been, advertainment

Right, they're just (I believe) required by law to disclose they've been paid for it on the internet, so that interview has to start with "brought to you by Mortal Kombat 1"

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Hoping for a mod that gives him JCVD's actual likeness. Maybe an older skin is already in the game in gear or something? I expected nothing and was disappointed.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
If you hadn't told me that was JCVD, I would not have known it.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Now we need JVDB

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I dunno, I think it looks like Bloodsport era JCVD, but that's just from doing a cursory GIS and quickly watching clips on Youtube.

He just does a lot more smiling and has that Johnny Cage poo poo eating grin half the time in the game.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

To me it looks like they didn't get him in the face model rig and either used a look-alike or just tried to match it. The whole facial structure is off whereas in MK11 the face models are all very accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Probably because they had to peel 30 years off his face